• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In CK you DO play the king (or duke or count... in the short term at least).
I don't see it that way. You don't play the king, because you also have some control over other members of the court and their private matters in the way king wouldn't be possible to control them. But it is true, that CK gets as close to actual being king while no exactly being him as you can get.

Yes, if Ethiopia is your puppet, you are sending advisors, introducing new technologies and helping them to modernise. It is a part of fun - I always used to help my puppets by giving them technologies.

Exactly. You're *helping* them modernize, you're not doing it instead of them, making them one day wake up modernized. Modernization would still take some effort from them, though less than if they tried it on their own. Effort which, in game terms, is represented by RPs.

And, sending those advisors there means that they won't be around for other uses in your homeland, such as further technological/institutional/intellectual development. Therefore, you too should pay a slight RP cost.

Therefore, you too should pay a slight RP cost.

Well, it may be more appropriate to take away bureaucrats instead. I'm not too sure you need scientists going off to foreign countries to teach the locals about the technology. You could just as easily send some government officials with schematics and an instruction manual and get the same results.

Plus the cost of that would be less efficient government programs and/or taxation.

Well but something who i noticed(like a student of Economical Thought) who several 'academic mistakes' in the prerequisites system, like in the start of the tree about the Early Classical Theory and Critique(Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nation and David Ricardo's Principles of Political Economy and taxation) rather was before the Economical Thinking than the Social Thinking(About than Malthusian Thought will be aviable after research Early Classical Theory and Critique and not before and being a prerequisited) but Enlightenment Thought still be the prerequsited of both(were the work of the Enlightenment who help both Smith, Ricardo and Malthus about their theories)

that was a little remark of a student

Att

Nivek von Beldo

Exactly. You're *helping* them modernize, you're not doing it instead of them, making them one day wake up modernized. Modernization would still take some effort from them, though less than if they tried it on their own. Effort which, in game terms, is represented by RPs.

And, sending those advisors there means that they won't be around for other uses in your homeland, such as further technological/institutional/intellectual development. Therefore, you too should pay a slight RP cost.

This is actually why I thought trading tech struck an ok balance. Remember that most of the real impacts of research come from INVENTIONS, not tech -- it will still take some time for the receiving state to realize the benefits of that trade. Moreover, there is a cost to their own RP's. This may not matter for a wealthier state, but for a poor, low-literacy state without a ton of clerks and clergy, trades can present difficult choices. They are often gaining a tech immediately in exchange for the months it takes to refresh their RP's. That's a hard enough choice that I think it's a worthwhile game mechanic, at least for poor states. Rather than totally removing it, maybe it would be better to impose a prestige penalty for states that are close enough in rank?

In the real world, exchanging social and cultural values was hugely important in spreading influence. Think Germany in Turkey or Britain in India. I hope there's still some kind of mechanic along these lines (perhaps using advisers?).

We can also do cool effects with the discovery of inventions themselves. We have added modifiers to the discovery chance based upon other factors. These work the same way as modifiers for the chances that an event will fire, so moders can have a field day with them. For us we are going to use the discovery of other inventions to increase the chances that a particular invention will fire. Making tech a bit more interesting.

I like that. The difficulties involved in getting from an invention to an innovation are something that is often overlooked. The ability to mod this gives the chance to reflect certain countries different innovation-cultures that very much influenced the prospect of inventors and the further development of an invention. A really interesting field in the 19th/early 20th century.

This may already have been pointed out, but... Kyoto was the site of Japan's capital until it was moved to Tokyo in 1868... :rolleyes:

I might have missed it, but will there be a tech-spread mechanism (as there was in CK)? Neighbour bonuses alone (as in EU) aren't sufficient, as techs weren't really invented again and again by different countries. Colonialism, trade, etc. resulted in "free techs" (sometimes with strings attached and almost certainly with less efficiency (depending on infrastructure, etc)) for most of the countries.

I might have missed it, but will there be a tech-spread mechanism (as there was in CK)? Neighbour bonuses alone (as in EU) aren't sufficient, as techs weren't really invented again and again by different countries. Colonialism, trade, etc. resulted in "free techs" (sometimes with strings attached and almost certainly with less efficiency (depending on infrastructure, etc)) for most of the countries.

I think it less of inventing something again, but actually making use of it. But still, good point.

Isn't ressurecting a dead thread against the rules? King is hardly going to read this, see what you've put,then trawl through all 8 pages to see what your original question is...