+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #19 - Technology

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Development Diary #19 - Technology

Hi everybody. As King is away this week, it falls to me to publish this weeks development diary. Have no fear though, its written by King and not by me

Victoria 2's technology system will bear a striking similarity to Victoria's. In fact the core idea of technologies then invention is lifted wholesale from Victoria. In fact you a lot of the technology names and inventions will seem very familiar to those of you who have played Victoria before.

That's not to say that everything will be the same. The systems in Victoria 2 give us a lot of new toys to play with and we also do need to put in the props that the Victoria technology system gave us. One example is free machine parts, with Artisans ready and willing to make them as required; we feel there will be far less need to have them given out free when certain technologies are discovered.

However, some technologies are the same, the prestige giving ones are still there, and the ones that give you variable prestige according to who discovered them is also there. With an added bonus, the interface will tell you how much prestige you stand to gain if you discover them. So you can see at a glance if anyone has invented them yet, allowing you to gauge how much of a priority you can give these technologies. If you are struggling to maintain your great power rank then you can see at a glance if there is prestige to be had here.

We can also do cool effects with the discovery of inventions themselves. We have added modifiers to the discovery chance based upon other factors. These work the same way as modifiers for the chances that an event will fire, so moders can have a field day with them. For us we are going to use the discovery of other inventions to increase the chances that a particular invention will fire. Making tech a bit more interesting.

That's our first pass through technologies. We will return with more information later. First we are off to test and balance it to make it more fun.

Here's a screenshot of Japan, with the cool early-style japanese army.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vic2_alpha_april7.jpg‎
Views:	19770
Size:	674.6 KB
ID:	23226  

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

wohoooooooo. A Samurai Sprite! Halleluja.

i'll be reading the DD when i come back from work

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 Complete500k club

"In democracy, it's your vote that counts. In feudalism, it's your count that votes."
    Hm.. New port icons!

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Funny thing is, that the most important info in this whole technology dev diary was the indirectly menitoned fact, that we will after all have different style sprites for different time eras
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

- Primary Iterator Kyril Sindermann

Grand Vezir of Bonn Kantenbauer's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The sprite looks very nice
    No more links

Will Intellectual Establishments still in Victoria II? and will they have more impact on research?
    e.g. would researching army and industrial faster with Army-Industrial Complex?

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    War of the RosesPride of Nations500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post

Here's a screenshot of Japan, with the cool early-style japanese army.
    Good, this suggests multi-layered sprites
    (or whatever the ones are called that change over time)
    Wernher von Braun: I aim for the stars.....but sometimes I hit London

Every time you ask about book 5 GRRM kills a Stark.

I'm not lazy, I'm productivity challenged!

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria 2

Hmm so you are no longer sticking with one level sprites?
    Ägare av en Mr.G kaka .
    - . . - .
    Paradox Forum necesse est, vivere non est necesse.

Former Paradox Fan
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    well since you lifted it from vicky you cant fuck it up too much, so cool

also nice sprite
    Former Paradox Fan

Great news about the variable invention triggers. Prestige-only was a bit too simplistic.

Nice layout of Japan, too. And the promise of changing sprites is very nice indeed
    timeo hominem unius libri

Not much info this week. But I like the Vicky technology system, so this is good news.

Can you give us any further information Johan, for example what about research points?

On loan to the C.S Navy HMS Enterprize's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIIron Cross
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

So does every coastal province get a port?

I hope not, so blockading/embargo strategies (and maybe supply too) have a chance of crippling an economy in wartime.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

While we are at prestige... where is it displayed on the main interface? Is it the star in the Diplomacy section?

Keeper of the seven keys Lord Martin's Avatar
    200k clubVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The Vic tech system was very good and I´m happy to see it´s in V:2 as well.
    The Samurai is really cool. It alone is maybe a reason for not modernize the japanese army.
    Since the custom avatars are gone, I´m aiming at 1.000.000 posts instead!!!!
    998.334 posts left...

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Sounds pretty hot, nice to see you're going with levelled sprites
    Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Let's Play M&B Warband 1257AD!

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Short but informative. Multi-level sprites are nice, the new font for the provinces looks nice. Not completely happy about what you've done with the way how research works. I would rather have had a more automated system, like in EU3. Sliders that adjust the amount of research points for each field. If you want to be an expansionist country you just raise the Army and Navy sliders and lower the other ones, etc. Since the order at which technologies are researched within a field is set by the game (I think there's a certain order but it could just be random, I don't know for sure) there's no reason for the player to manually click buttons to research techs. It would also be more realistic as research into the various fields were done continuously. It wasn't like the entire intellectual population of a nation would research new rifles one year and new mining techniques the next. It happened at the same time but with some fields getting more attention (i.e. the sliders).

Would've liked a lite version of the HOI-style research for the military techs. New weapons like rifles and tanks were designed by request, not because of some freak invention (maybe the initial discovery of a new weapon type but certainly the research afterwards was most often guided by the government). But this isn't as important to me as the sliders as the military isn't really a major focus of the game, while technology is more.

I'm happy with the different modifiers and effects of inventions though.

Benedìctus Deus in Sæcula Hardstuff's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

I like how you feel obliged to reassure us that it was pre-written by a Scotsman.

Nice sword, Johan.
    Credo in unum Deum, Patrem omnipoténtem, factórem cæli et terræ, visibílium ómnium et invisibílium. Et in unum Dóminum Iesum Christum, Fílium Dei Unigénitum.
    Dómine Fili Unigénite, Iesu Christe, miserére nobis - Gloria in excelsis Deo!
    O Sancta Maria, Mater Dei

Irish Regional Premier of An Comhtháthú Fionlannach-Ceilteach (Suomalais-Kelttiläinen liittokunta)
    "It will all be over by Christmas" - A Multiplayer World War One AAR, from a USA perspective.

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Enterprize View Post
    So does every coastal province get a port?

I hope not, so blockading/embargo strategies (and maybe supply too) have a chance of crippling an economy in wartime.
    I think those are all level 1 harbors, i.e. civilian harbors. Since Japan's food supply is greatly dependent on fishing, this seems about right. Plus low level harbors probably can't process many convoys so you might need to encircle all of Feudal Japan during a war, but it'll take less ships per sea province. Or something like that. It could just be that every coastal province has at least level 0 harbor, so that ships can at least dock there. This was also the case in Vicky 1.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Valley of lurkers, somewhere in western Norway

Smile

Now that the selling and exchanging of tech have been taken away from the diplomatic choices, I suspect the tech development will be slower and more controlable.

Will PD introduce any kind of inherent technology spreading?
    Perhaps not like CK but somehow similar?
    In our darkest hours all the shades are gray

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRobau View Post
    Would've liked a lite version of the HOI-style research for the military techs. New weapons like rifles and tanks were designed by request, not because of some freak invention (maybe the initial discovery of a new weapon type but certainly the research afterwards was most often guided by the government). But this isn't as important to me as the sliders as the military isn't really a major focus of the game, while technology is more.

I'm happy with the different modifiers and effects of inventions though.
    Basically that's what vicky 1 did and vicky 2 apparently is going to work.
    Director of Suomalais-Kelttiläinen liittokunta (Comhtháthú Fionlannach-Ceilteach)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast