• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The_Kaiser

Second Lieutenant
15 Badges
Jan 2, 2006
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Greetings,

I was following a thread in the tech support section of AoD with this issue which can be found here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464244

I was asked by Paradox Support to post it in this forum which I am currently doing. The issue is that steam users seem to have checksum ZBVR when updated to version 1.02 while gamersgate players have checksum XUWR with version 1.02. It seems from the thread above that this is common and creates an issue when you want to play a multiplayer game.

Does anyone have a solution to this checksum problem?

Only solution is that if you are playing with one who has the gamersgate version, is that he sends you the hoi2.exe file, as it is that file which changes the checksum. Gamersgate checksum for 1.02 is XUWR and for 1.03 it's BQEL, as the poster above said.
(hope the developers don't frown upon me saying t hat you should give eachother exe files, but it's the only way to fix the different checksum problem with gamersgate and steam.

Only solution is that if you are playing with one who has the gamersgate version, is that he sends you the hoi2.exe file, as it is that file which changes the checksum. Gamersgate checksum for 1.02 is XUWR and for 1.03 it's BQEL, as the poster above said.
(hope the developers don't frown upon me saying t hat you should give eachother exe files, but it's the only way to fix the different checksum problem with gamersgate and steam.

Can you confirm that? (that the cause is the exe file)

Well, i had the gamersgate version and a friend of mine had the steam version, we tried to play together using the default versions, even though they had different checksums i thought it would work, it didnt. From then we tried to give eachother the DB, config, scenarios, the dll files, basically anything that could change the checksum. After trying that i asked him to send me his exe, i received it and pasted it into my folder, i tried to start the game but it said something like ''can't launch steam'' I guess that is cause it tried to find AoD in my steam games. I then sent him my aodgame.exe, his checksum changed to xuwr, he could now play without steam and we could play multiplayer together.

So yes i am very very sure that the cause is the exe file. As we tried everything else but when we changed exe file the checksum changed.
You could probably find out yourself by just asking someone to send you the steam aodgame.exe file and seeing for yourself.

I have 100% confirmed that the .exe is the issue when it comes to the version issue between Steam and GG. I also note that the GG version of the exe is only 5.64MB while the steam version is 5.98. The difference when changing the steam .exe to GG is only that steam does not load when you lauch the AOD.exe file directly from the file. I have not attempted to load the game directly from steam when doing this.

@The_Kaiser: Did you let Lennartos know this? He is trying to isolate and fix this issue for 1.4...

I have seen it
Not sure what to do about it.

With every patch steam will destroy the exe by inducing its own loader into it.
So basically the only fix is to get a proper .exe.

You should learn to never buy Paradox Titles on steam, it is impossible/very hard to modify anything...