Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My tip for any developer is to simply use Unity.

Real men write their own engines. Like me.

I am also incredibly un-pragmatic.

I had a question about a game that is on kickstarter right now, they said they had approached several publishers(big and small) but they had no interest in the game.
The game's name is Kingdom Come: Deliverance, did they contact you or not?(if you can even say something about that) and if they did contact you, what was the reason why it wasn't accepted.

I'll answer this for you: No publisher is ever going to touch/fund that until its close to completion, at which point (If they ever get there, that is), the studio will rather try to self publish or something to that effect.

The studio is too small, the game is far, far too big and ambitious in its scale. The present model is their best solution. Their big rich magnate will fund their game, they do kickstarter to get some capital plus prove their patron that the game has an interest, and he'll bankroll them until he's tired or they finish the game. Publishers don't take a huge risk or almost certain losses. Everyone wins.

I'll answer this for you: No publisher is ever going to touch/fund that until its close to completion, at which point (If they ever get there, that is), the studio will rather try to self publish or something to that effect.

The studio is too small, the game is far, far too big and ambitious in its scale. The present model is their best solution. Their big rich magnate will fund their game, they do kickstarter to get some capital plus prove their patron that the game has an interest, and he'll bankroll them until he's tired or they finish the game. Publishers don't take a huge risk or almost certain losses. Everyone wins.

Dude I checked after seeing your post and that game looked awesome.I dont know if they can deliver all of their promises but even if they release it with half of the promised features is missing still I will pay for it.

Dude I checked after seeing your post and that game looked awesome.I dont know if they can deliver all of their promises but even if they release it with half of the promised features is missing still I will pay for it.

Jolt: while we all appreciate your speculative answers I'll take it from here ;)

First off what you say isn't entirely true. A lot of publishers do get involved at early stages - even for projects that are crazier than that one.

Secondly, here's a piece of industry secret for you. Say you're a developer looking to do a kickstarter - which one of the following two lines will read yield you more crowd funding?

A: publishers are dinosaurs, they don't get games, us, you and the concept. The only way we possible could get this game off the ground is to give the power to YOU - the smart core gamer who "gets us". Help us change the industry!

B: We met with tons of publishers and had some great talks with some of them who liked the concept and wanted to get involved. Despite getting far in a few of the discussions we couldn't really agree on the a deal structure that made the publishers to be willing to invest. So we're coming to you instead.

I'm not saying every KS dev is deceiving their customers - but the whole shpiel about "nobody gets us" is BS or they did a crap job of talking to the right people. Making a hardcore niche games? Maybe you shouldn't be talking to EA. But hey, it's a great underdog story.

In the case of this game. If I remember correctly we met with them twice and looked at the game. The concept has great promise and looks great. Ultimately we said no thanks because we're not terribly interested in making a game where there's this much focus on graphics over gameplay. We think the latter is more important than AAA polish.

The budget mentioned to us differed significantly from the one listed in the KS.

/s

• 1Haha
Reactions:
The budget mentioned to us differed significantly from the one listed in the KS.

According to their description, their "Why Kickstarter"-section does say this:

The sum we are asking for is about ten percent of our total budget; for our investor, however, it is proof that there is real demand for the game, and that there is a point to keeping it funded. Every extra dollar will allow us to make the final product that much better because it means more money for development and more support from our investor.

So apparently they asked for £3,000,000 ?

Still, I do not disagree with your reasoning for rejecting the pitch.

How is the war score cost for a state calculated in Victoria 2? I can't make heads or tails out of it.
This is not the place to ask questions about specific games. Please post this in the general V2 forum, thanks.

B: We met with tons of publishers and had some great talks with some of them who liked the concept and wanted to get involved. Despite getting far in a few of the discussions we couldn't really agree on the a deal structure that made the publishers to be willing to invest. So we're coming to you instead.

I'm not saying every KS dev is deceiving their customers - but the whole shpiel about "nobody gets us" is BS or they did a crap job of talking to the right people. Making a hardcore niche games? Maybe you shouldn't be talking to EA. But hey, it's a great underdog story.

In the case of this game. If I remember correctly we met with them twice and looked at the game. The concept has great promise and looks great. Ultimately we said no thanks because we're not terribly interested in making a game where there's this much focus on graphics over gameplay. We think the latter is more important than AAA polish.

/s

I was curious about if they did since it seemed like a title that Paradox might be intrested in due to the historical nature(and the fact that you guys also published mount and blade) but seeing as that game was way lower budget in terms of graphics, something that I would not say I know paradox for even with third-parties.

And I do agree that they have to put up a marketing strategy, but I do imagine alot of the other publishers saying that people want magic and dragons.

I hope that they will finish the game with great gameplay and great graphics as this is something I've dreamed of a long time since I started playing video games.

Thanks for the answer Shams, I had heard it from another forum user(about the budget that is) in the thread of the kickstarter but I wanted to have some more insight and an answer from a paradox interactive employee

I was curious about if they did since it seemed like a title that Paradox might be intrested in due to the historical nature(and the fact that you guys also published mount and blade) but seeing as that game was way lower budget in terms of graphics, something that I would not say I know paradox for even with third-parties.

And I do agree that they have to put up a marketing strategy, but I do imagine alot of the other publishers saying that people want magic and dragons.

I hope that they will finish the game with great gameplay and great graphics as this is something I've dreamed of a long time since I started playing video games.

Thanks for the answer Shams, I had heard it from another forum user(about the budget that is) in the thread of the kickstarter but I wanted to have some more insight and an answer from a paradox interactive employee

I hope it does well too. Has a lot of potential.

//shams

I was wondering if there has ever been a discussion of creating an EU/Vic/CK/HoI style Scifi or Fantasy based game? I don't think anyone has done a grand strategy space game before, since 4x games are a separate genre of strategy.

I was wondering if there has ever been a discussion of creating an EU/Vic/CK/HoI style Scifi or Fantasy based game? I don't think anyone has done a grand strategy space game before, since 4x games are a separate genre of strategy.

Plenty. After Rome II it's probably the most requested game fans want paradox to make.

Would Paradox (PDS) consider doing a game on the Three Kingdoms period (三国时代)?

Unlikely, too niche. :(

But there's always the chance someone will make a mod. Maybe you?

/shams

Nah man, V3 definitely.

If you keep this up V3 will turn into a Rome2 - neither are happening for a long while. We got way too much other cool stuff to make.

//s