Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You could let them play the older non-sandbox games like EU2, HoI2 and Victoria, they all have tons of historical events that'll teach them lots and lots of history. Taught me a lot and freshened up even more that used to lie dormant. Now I know very a lot more about the Crimean war, which king succeeded which in Sweden, who was in the thirty years war and so on.

Even though the new sandboxy games are much more fun, a part of me still misses those good old straight-jacketed events about what actually happened through history. I learned a lot from them.

Even though the new sandboxy games are much more fun, a part of me still misses those good old straight-jacketed events about what actually happened through history. I learned a lot from them.

Yeah, I sort of miss them sometimes. But it made for some really weird situations when your situation deviated from history but the events didn't care.

The problem with predetermined events like that is you know they are coming and plan for them which kind of defeats the purpose of the event.
It can make the initial play through of a nation interesting, but puts a real drain on the replay value.
It is also a little hamstringing, as the point of the game for a lot of people is to see if they can do better than the historical situation, not to replay the exact history of the nation.
We are already starting from a deficit because the player already knows what the world will look like, having predetermined events just compounds the issue.

Yeah, I sort of miss them sometimes. But it made for some really weird situations when your situation deviated from history but the events didn't care.

Indeed. I think Paradox made the right choice to go the more sandboxy road, as it makes for more fun game mechanics. And the point of the game is to have fun, not to memorize the lineages of the House Plantagenet.

And the point of the game is to have fun, not to memorize the lineages of the House Plantagenet.
Harry, Dick, John, Harry three;
One, two, three Neds, Richard two
Harrys four, five, six... then who?
Edwards four, five, Dick the bad...

But anyway; the problem with deterministic events is not only that you end up anticipating and waiting for an event you know is coming: but you have to try and out-guess the developers to know if they've actually bothered to include a particular other event in the game, or if they've added odd prerequisites to an important event. You're playing England - will there be a Civil War in 1642, or not? Maybe it only happens if rebels capture a province in Ireland first, so you can game it? Have the developers written an event for Scotland to intervene in the war on Parliament's side, as they did historically, or not?

A game with deterministic events means that the way to play well is to memorise the list of events, not to make decisions like a historical leader would.

Harry, Dick, John, Harry three;
One, two, three Neds, Richard two
Harrys four, five, six... then who?
Edwards four, five, Dick the bad...

But anyway; the problem with deterministic events is not only that you end up anticipating and waiting for an event you know is coming: but you have to try and out-guess the developers to know if they've actually bothered to include a particular other event in the game, or if they've added odd prerequisites to an important event. You're playing England - will there be a Civil War in 1642, or not? Maybe it only happens if rebels capture a province in Ireland first, so you can game it? Have the developers written an event for Scotland to intervene in the war on Parliament's side, as they did historically, or not?

A game with deterministic events means that the way to play well is to memorise the list of events, not to make decisions like a historical leader would.

Precisely, but OTOH you have people who expect that Christian Iberia will unite by 1500, as it did historically, and that Granada will not retake Toledo, to cite one example. If the Habsburg encirclement of France does not happen, there should be no English Reformation, at least no Henrican Reformation as we know it. If England take Cristoforo Colombo on his offer to sail west to reach the Indies, made before he offered it to Castile, then as John H. Elliott suggests, England conquers Mexico and with the silver involved really does become Defender of the Faith in its medieval sense, buys a nice divorce from Rome with the riches of Montezuma, and the Tudors not the Habsburgs become the dominant force in European affairs. Castile becomes an English client state, etc., etc.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is EU4 going to take CKII's interface or stay true to EU3's style of play? Call me oblivious but both the menus and map disoriented me.

2. Not a centralized question, but is there in existence a mod that allows chatbox use in singleplayer, for immersion purposes? If not I'd love for someone to make it happen :)

I purchased the East India Company Collection from Steam approximately November 2011; included is EIC and Privateer versios 1.12; also included is Priate Bay version 1.06. EIC and Privateer I have no problem with; however Pirate is not fun becasue the palyer is always at a disadvantge, in game play the AI always has more vessels than the player and the AI vessels fire long before and more rapidly the player vessels, therfore I always end up getting destroyed. I was referred to cheat happens for a trainer and I tested all of the trainers, they are worthless. The only one that partially work and activated was a 1.05 version PROMO, but them even though in the game it say on you see no results.

Is there a working trainer for EIC Pirate Bay? How do I get it? Or am I doomed to be frustrated in the quest for relaxation which is gameplay.

1. Is EU4 going to take CKII's interface or stay true to EU3's style of play? Call me oblivious but both the menus and map disoriented me.
Please post this in the EU4 forum, thanks.
I purchased the East India Company Collection from Steam approximately November 2011; included is EIC and Privateer versios 1.12; also included is Priate Bay version 1.06. EIC and Privateer I have no problem with; however Pirate is not fun becasue the palyer is always at a disadvantge, in game play the AI always has more vessels than the player and the AI vessels fire long before and more rapidly the player vessels, therfore I always end up getting destroyed. I was referred to cheat happens for a trainer and I tested all of the trainers, they are worthless. The only one that partially work and activated was a 1.05 version PROMO, but them even though in the game it say on you see no results.

Is there a working trainer for EIC Pirate Bay? How do I get it? Or am I doomed to be frustrated in the quest for relaxation which is gameplay.
Please post this in the appropriate game forum, thanks.

Not quite sure whether this is the correct place to ask for this, but here goes:

How about changing the rule/offence "disregarding or commenting on moderator decision" to "Disregarding or replying to moderator decision"?
It seems like that is the de facto rule, and changing its wording to reflect that would save many people from infractions by misunderstanding it.

Where is the correct game forum? This was initially posted under East India Company for Kim Soures and Sampaa from Nitro Games and received no response, just like no response form steam tech support, just looking for help. If you can do that GREAT, if not please direct me to someone who can without telling me I'm in the wrong forum and leaving it at that. Also this forum title is "Ask Paradox (almost) anything; well I asked.

Where is the correct game forum? This was initially posted under East India Company for Kim Soures and Sampaa from Nitro Games and received no response, just like no response form steam tech support, just looking for help. If you can do that GREAT, if not please direct me to someone who can without telling me I'm in the wrong forum and leaving it at that. Also this forum title is "Ask Paradox (almost) anything; well I asked.
This is the correct forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?420-East-India-Company

But hold your breath, the community around East India Company is very small.
Maybe you will find a better answer in the CheatEngine forums (they are specialized in extreme modding);).

Not quite sure whether this is the correct place to ask for this, but here goes:

How about changing the rule/offence "disregarding or commenting on moderator decision" to "Disregarding or replying to moderator decision"?
It seems like that is the de facto rule, and changing its wording to reflect that would save many people from infractions by misunderstanding it.

Questions regarding rules can be made in the forum Help section.

Any of you guys have a special talent? Is Doomdark a great chef? Does Shams knit sweaters? Is Johan known for his woodworking?

My hobbies include making clothing for paper dolls using GIMP that fits the exact dimensions 152 x 152 pixels.

Any of you guys have a special talent? Is Doomdark a great chef? Does Shams knit sweaters? Is Johan known for his woodworking?

My hobbies include making clothing for paper dolls using GIMP that fits the exact dimensions 152 x 152 pixels.

Sure! I guess I should let people answer themselves, but we have a lot of multi-talented people.
Me, I take a lot of pictures. I would not call it a talent perhaps, but I want it to be, and I sure practice a lot. Otherwise, I used to be really good at handball before I hurt myself, as people tend to do in that sport. It is rather violent (but oh so much fun!). :)

Sure! I guess I should let people answer themselves, but we have a lot of multi-talented people.
Me, I take a lot of pictures. I would not call it a talent perhaps, but I want it to be, and I sure practice a lot. Otherwise, I used to be really good at handball before I hurt myself, as people tend to do in that sport. It is rather violent (but oh so much fun!). :)

Are there anyone there without any talents? You know, like me.