Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd like to know, with Defender of Ardania, And Warlock, will we see a Majesty 3 soon? Majesty too have many flaws, I still love it but the main thing its gotten right is the principle game-play, controlling the units with flags is not necessarily the best way to do it, and I am sure that new ideas will come up if they are thinking of a new instalment, the most appealing part of the game is building a city, even though it is rather Age of Empires like, would be nice to be able to build something that looks more like a actual city with more realistic sizes and such. AND The fact that the people in the city and the heroes live their own lives. What would be cool would be to have control over what advisor's you have, like if you have a good military commander, the troops are trained better under his command, and that the way you have control over it is how good your captains and commander are depends on your military educational system. The Steward on how well the economy is running and the amount of corruption, all of them living their own lives. That is what is appealing about Majesty 2. What I think I and many other would like to see in a third instalment or a spiritual successor is more focus on the things that attracted people to the genre, City Building, And people Living in that city.

There is many people that would love this, take a glance over the Majesty 2 Forums, I personally know a lot of people that would love to see it. And It is more the game-play than it is the lore in that world. Yes the Advisor is cool and so forth. But it is that special feeling it gave of running things and pulling the strings that people loved.
I like Defender of Ardania.
I Loved Warlocks Master of the Arcane.
But I'd still have preferred them making a third instalment to the Majesty Series.

Is it a possibility?

Theoretically anything is possible, Majesty is a franchise we are all very fond of. However there are a lot of components that go into deciding what our upcoming projects should be. Existing fan base is certainly one of the factors but not the only one. As for confirmation of upcoming titles, they happen only as official announcements and when those are made we try to post them in as many places as possible, website, twitter, Facebook, forum etc. So you will not see confirmation of unannounced projects here by Paradox Development studio or any other studios, as some of you have already said.

Kind regards
Susana

So... what's your character and level in D3?

lvl 26 Demon Hunter (dem chakrams!), I got a bunch of chars in the 10-16 range though for testing around :) havent finished the game yet because of a combination of great weather, servers being down, DayZ and world of tanks.

Here is another example of a question they won't answer:

How drunk is podcat right now?

not at all, Captain Gars however is extremely hung over :D

So... what's your character and level in D3?

Just 18 DH. Not had enough time to finish it on normal yet even.

Which title are you refering to? We are not involved in the projects "AGEOD" signed on as third party development before we were in the picture (titles being developed on their engine by other studios).

Kind regards
Susana

ALEA JACTA EST Roman Civil Wars. But as you say I don't know if its a third party "loan" of the game engine.

Also when you are developing a game that your really are into, how hard it is not to tell us lowly posters and consumers of your goods?

Last edited:
ALEA JACTA EST Roman Civil Wars. But as you say I don't know if its a third party "loan" of the game engine.
You know that there's an "Ask Paradox France (almost) anything!" thread stickied on this forum right below this one, don't you? :)

But in fact yes, Alea Jacta Est is being developed by an outside team who licensed the AGE engine, while Paradox France themselves are working on Napoleon's Campaigns II.

I remember a few years back... How it was a good idea and great progress to self-publish your games and sell them digitally in your own store rather than shipping CDs worldwide via an external publisher who didn't understand the specifics of your titles. But now you seem to be regressing, first divorcing from GamersGate (seems like a done deal already), now separating the studio and the publisher. PDS and Johan suddenly again became vassals of an external publisher and external digital gaming outletS. So you're basically giving up on something that seemed such a big success to free yourself from a couple years ago.

Why do that?

I remember a few years back... How it was a good idea and great progress to self-publish your games and sell them digitally in your own store rather than shipping CDs worldwide via an external publisher who didn't understand the specifics of your titles. But now you seem to be regressing, first divorcing from GamersGate (seems like a done deal already), now separating the studio and the publisher. PDS and Johan suddenly again became vassals of an external publisher and external digital gaming outletS. So you're basically giving up on something that seemed such a big success to free yourself from a couple years ago.

Why do that?
I was under the impression that the PDS name was just made to distinguish the Paradox house games from the third party games.

Why do that?

PDS and the other studios (PDX North and PDX South) are as big a part of PDX as they've always been. There's no division when it comes to the aspects you speak of. PDS enjoys the same degree of autonomy they did before. Describing them as vassals is not apt methinks - How about the "chief export product" of the nation that is PDX?

Besides just because we're structured differently do you really think PDX suddenly "won't understand the specifics of the titles" any more? Right?

But essentially - PDX started as a dev studio and grew into a publisher - today Paradox as a whole is mainly a publisher that sports one of the finest internal dev studios in the world. So it's a progression - not a regression.

/s

I forgot to mention on reddit yesterday, but I wanted to say that the new modability that you guys added to CK2 is really working out well. The new mod directory setup, exporting things like event modifiers and traits to sub-folders, and above all 'namespace' are each their own kind of brilliance. The localisation files are also more *elastic* than in earlier games. So a big thanks for your continued support of modders.

Question 1. Do you plan to use namespace in the events that PDS creates for CK2 and future games or is it something just for player-made content? It is easier to type in a namespace than to type in eight or ten or more unique numbers.

Question 2. Given the ability now to run several mods concurrently, do you plan to add more changes to the file structure to make mod compatibility easier? Particularly in the commons folder and in gfx and interface?

Finally, will whatever great top secret new game under development that you are not yet sharing with the rest of the world encompass a similar modability (yes, that's a word now ;)).

Just saw the video concerning "Magicka - The other side of the Twilight bandwagon". Question: Why does the left guy in the video look like Breivik`s brown-haired brother?

Question 2: When will EU:Rome2 be announced?