Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There really should be differnt stages or types of beta testing though, bug hunting is one thing but my impression is that PDS is interested in ideas, suggestions and feedback from players as well, and that might be more difficult to do if you're flooded with "casual" testers? Maybe it ought to be either two separate groups of betas or the "flooding" should only occur in the later stages? I guess that's what most companies do though, like I preordered StarCraft II and got to play the "closed" beta but that sure as hell had nothing to do with influencing the game making.

I think that you are right about that. Right now I really need to make sure that this (and some other) theories follows reality. I will try several different models to see what works best for different kinds of games.

Yes, we get more money at full price.
I think I read somewhere that the Steam share is 30%.

So I imagine other digital distribution is around that too, not sure if that is including or excluding other possible fees and patch/update services though.

First of all - we love sales - the big secret of digital distribution is that nothing drives sales and increases revenue than a sale and I'm talking about AFTER the sale is over. So yes, our sales dept continuously talk to Steam and plan for sales.
That makes alot of sense.

People are social beeings and if you sell a crapload of games on a cheap sale and just 10% of these people have friends that want to buy and play the game with them after the sale is over... then the success is a given.

I imagine the games that reinforce this effect the most should be the recently very popular style of dedicated Coop games like for example Magica and Dungeon defenders.

I own the EU III chronicles(DW), which is fine.
I also own a EUIII complete disc, Is there any way to buy the HTTT expansion to put it in the EU III complete version? and if so where?
I am trying to play(for now) the most modern version of EU III without the Horde changes of DW.
Appreciate a response and thank you in advance.

The HttT expansion can be bought digitally at the likes of Gamersgate and I suppose Steam too. If you would to install that expansion over EU3 Complete you'd be playing EU3 without the latest DW expansion which includes the Horde mechanics.

I also own a EUIII complete disc, Is there any way to buy the HTTT expansion to put it in the EU III complete version? and if so where?
I am trying to play(for now) the most modern version of EU III without the Horde changes of DW.
Did you want to run both versions or only HttT? To run both you would probably need to copy whichever one is already installed to a new location then uninstall it (to remove the registry entries) then install the other version.
The HttT expansion can be bought digitally at the likes of Gamersgate and I suppose Steam too. If you would to install that expansion over EU3 Complete you'd be playing EU3 without the latest DW expansion which includes the Horde mechanics.
Note you can't use the Steam version of HttT with the CD version of Complete though. The only version that I know will definitely work is the GamersGate download (it's possible some other distributor's version might be made to work too).

If it's just the Horde changes you dislike about DW I'm pretty sure a 2 minute find/replace to change all the horde government types to tribal would let you play it without them. You might want to confirm that on the EUIII forum first, but I think so.

If it's just the Horde changes you dislike about DW I'm pretty sure a 2 minute find/replace to change all the horde government types to tribal would let you play it without them. You might want to confirm that on the EUIII forum first, but I think so.
Yes, that works. All you need to do is go to the Governments file in the common folder and set the nomad lines to no.

I like to keep alive the nations that historically did not survive, like the GH, Timurids, Byzantines, and the
Horde changes make that much more difficult and it takes away from my enjoyment.

Stick to the topic please.

A lot of you probably have summer vacations and are bored - I bet you have a bunch of smart questions for us.

/s

Stick to the topic please.

A lot of you probably have summer vacations and are bored - I bet you have a bunch of smart questions for us.

/s

What sort of handshake do you dread the most?

- edit -

Oh, and who is responsible for those A Game of Dwarves trailers? They rock!

What sort of handshake do you dread the most?

- edit -

Oh, and who is responsible for those A Game of Dwarves trailers? They rock!

The dead fish shake. Seriously - a handshake says a lot about a person.

They were mainly done inhouse by our excellent marketing team.

/s

Do you ensure to use Swedish terms when speaking Swedish? And not let English terms sneak into your language and ruin it like it has ruined Danish?

Do you ensure to use Swedish terms when speaking Swedish? And not let English terms sneak into your language and ruin it like it has ruined Danish?

The swedish language is already a mix of french, german, english, dutch and so on... Not many words can be said to be 100% swedish... :(

The swedish language is already a mix of french, german, english, dutch and so on... Not many words can be said to be 100% swedish... :(

That's not what I mean; I know about language history and whatnot, but I am talking about modern words like 'computer' and 'smartphone'. Danish has »datamat« and »datafon«, respectively, but almost no one uses those words in Danish (I do of course, because I cherish languages).

How many lines of code are in CK2? And (assuming it is written in C++ like previous games are said to be, and assuming it is anything at all like Java, which it is at least something like it) how many methods, and classes, or the C++ equivalents, have been programmed into CK2? How long did you code the program, how long did you think it over beforehand (hourswise in regard to both)? Is your documentation well-done?

Honestly, I just want to get a sense of the scale of the game, and the work that went into making it so awesome.

That's not what I mean; I know about language history and whatnot, but I am talking about modern words like 'computer' and 'smartphone'. Danish has »datamat« and »datafon«, respectively, but almost no one uses those words in Danish (I do of course, because I cherish languages).

So what you're saying is that you know about language history and appreciate how it (meaning inventing new words, borrowing others, and changing the meanings of yet others) has made your language what it is, but you want to freeze history at this exact point because you happen to be in it? Makes little sense to me.