Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In most of the Paradox Games, you use the projection that makes Europe bigger. But Victoria 2 and Magna Mundi has not that kind of projection. In the future, which projection will you use in important games such as Eu4, HoI4..etc ?

Malta - crazy BIG.

I would

1: Make a X-wing/Tie-fighter games for the PC/Mac. They would be complex and offer depth in gameplay.

2: I would Make a sequel to "Republic Commando"

3: I would make a RPG that focuses on fringe parts of the universe. I.e you play as an interesting character (not a jedi, princess, sith or other "epic" character). Like Mattias says - it's the spectrum between "smuggler" and "bounty hunter" that's interesting - not "Jedi" and "Sith". Think Firefly in the SW universe.

4: Action Adventure game - imagine Uncharted but set in the Star Wars Universe.

I'll limit myself to four. We did this in the office and everyone basically had suggestions better than what Lucasarts

What a great question!

Good ideas. Although number 3 has already been done. I wanted to ask if you ever thought there was another group of people who would do a better job at your type of games than you, but then I realised such a question would be moot. Instead, consider this; what game (or series) - in particular - do you think you could have done better than its makers and - more importantly - what would you have done differently?

For instance, the combat system of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is close to perfect, but the adventure map is broken and there are way too much micro management going on in addition to that. What's more, the sequels have only ruined these aspects even more.

*pulls out Tortch and pitchfork* HERESY!

Heresy? You like the Star Wars prequels? Do you have no sense of taste? You also double posted, so I guess not.

Heresy? You like the Star Wars prequels? Do you have no sense of taste? You also double posted, so I guess not.

Oh come on, the Original Trilogy had it's awkward momments too. For example, the cave on Dagobah, The giant Space Worm (though cool, was kind of pointless). And that's just for Empire.

And lets be honest, the Expanded universe was THE worst thing to happen to it, Boba Fett surviving, The Vong, Palps cloning himself. Compared to the post ROTJ stories, the Prequels are made of gold.

And what does double posting have to do with taste other than attempting to insult me?

Oh come on, the Original Trilogy had it's awkward momments too. For example, the cave on Dagobah, The giant Space Worm (though cool, was kind of pointless). And that's just for Empire.

I never claimed it was a perfect film. In fact, it is not even my favourite film in the category Star Wars and Lord of the Rings can be put in. It's a good film.

And lets be honest, the Expanded universe was THE worst thing to happen to it, Boba Fett surviving, The Vong, Palps cloning himself. Compared to the post ROTJ stories, the Prequels are made of gold.

I concur. But that does not make the prequels good films. I recall only watching them for the action scenes, which I guess looked okay, but because the stories were either too complex or too stupid or too pointless, I did not participate in the stories. I did not feel engaged, unlike when I watch the original trilogy.

And what does double posting have to do with taste other than attempting to insult me?

No, I just don't like people who double post for no reason, including the inability to find the edit button.

I never claimed it was a perfect film. In fact, it is not even my favourite film in the category Star Wars and Lord of the Rings can be put in. It's a good film.

I concur. But that does not make the prequels good films. I recall only watching them for the action scenes, which I guess looked okay, but because the stories were either too complex or too stupid or too pointless, I did not participate in the stories. I did not feel engaged, unlike when I watch the original trilogy.

No, I just don't like people who double post for no reason, including the inability to find the edit button.

1. Ah, well maybe I spend too much time in the SWTOR movie disscusion forums

2. Again, I never said the prequels were good. I said you are a Heretic for not liking them (in a joking manner mind you). The prequels have their problems, but to say they suck compared to the Originals is usually Nostalgia speaking, not facts.

3.And I double posted as I wanted to keep the two posts seperate and thus making sure they are more clear and directed at that particular user/s. So saying I have the inability to find the edit button is also insulting when I am making two posts for seperate people.

2. Again, I never said the prequels were good. I said you are a Heretic for not liking them (in a joking manner mind you). The prequels have their problems, but to say they suck compared to the Originals is usually Nostalgia speaking, not facts.

Actually, it is based on facts. But let's not get into that. That's for another more indepth discussion.

3.And I double posted as I wanted to keep the two posts seperate and thus making sure they are more clear and directed at that particular user/s. So saying I have the inability to find the edit button is also insulting when I am making two posts for seperate people.

I make plenty of responses to several people in the same post, which often have little if none at all to do with one another. Because I do not wish to encourage double posting in a flat-discussion system. If this was truly threaded discussions (as the term used by this software falsely implies), it would be all right.

I am certain the people I respond to are smart enough to realise there is a difference between the messages even if contained within the same 'post'.

The inherent meaning of a post have already lost its meaning with the introduction of flat-discussions. The only reason they are popular is because we are steeping to the lowest denominator. And I do not wish to encourage 'polluting' the message system with additional posts that has no semantic difference.

3: I would make a RPG that focuses on fringe parts of the universe. I.e you play as an interesting character (not a jedi, princess, sith or other "epic" character). Like Mattias says - it's the spectrum between "smuggler" and "bounty hunter" that's interesting - not "Jedi" and "Sith". Think Firefly in the SW universe.

How about a Firefly game set in the Firefly universe, or if that's not possible, a Firefly-esque game set in a Firefly-esque universe? I'd totally buy an rpg set there -- I love "low key" settings. I don't have to save the world in every rpg!

That said, any rpg by Paradox would be grand... Expand your horizons! :)

How about a Firefly game set in the Firefly universe, or if that's not possible, a Firefly-esque game set in a Firefly-esque universe? I'd totally buy an rpg set there -- I love "low key" settings. I don't have to save the world in every rpg!

I've never seen Firefly, what exactly is it?

Do you guys at the PI office regularily go out for beer together? If yes, what bar do you usually go to?

Do you guys at the PI office regularily go out for beer together? If yes, what bar do you usually go to?

Not regularly, but I know me, King and Forzaa tend to go to one place pretty much every tuesday for a pint or three. And no, I don't want to say which bar publicly.

Sometimes there's a bigger crew with people like Captain Gars, Kallocain, Besuchov, Podcat, Tegus, Birken, Doomdark and some more going as well.. And then we can usually be found at Carmen or some other place where you can sit and talk over a few cheap beers :)

I've never seen Firefly, what exactly is it?

one of the best sci-fi shows made in recent years, it also has great humor. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/

secret knowledge: Darkrenown wears a replica of Jayne's hat sometimes

images

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really sorry for posting this here, but I have no choice. If you move the post to a better thread that would be much appreciated.

Anyway, I'm having trouble accessing the forum. In fact, I can't access the forum from any computer on my network, which leads me to believe that I have been IP banned. I have no email concerning it, so either it occured accidentally, or somehow someone else has accessed my network and used it to make troll posts on the forum (I have security on my router, I don't see how this is possible). To make this post I had to use a proxy server.

When I say I have no choice, I mean I cannot seem to access anything that is not on my Subscriptions list; no topics, subforums, etc. just the topics on my subscription list.

Again, I'm sorry for posting this here, I realise it is not the place. If I should have emailed Paradox, or PMed a Moderator, please tell me so via PM and delete this post. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Sorry you encountered a problem, If I had IP banned you you would not be able to see anything including what you had subscribed to, so I do not think it is that. Please e-mail forum_admin@paradoxplaza.com , and read the autoresponder carefully for further instructions on how to obtain assistance.

For the future questions like this can be asked in the forum help section.

I'm really sorry for posting this here, but I have no choice. If you move the post to a better thread that would be much appreciated.

Anyway, I'm having trouble accessing the forum. In fact, I can't access the forum from any computer on my network, which leads me to believe that I have been IP banned. I have no email concerning it, so either it occured accidentally, or somehow someone else has accessed my network and used it to make troll posts on the forum (I have security on my router, I don't see how this is possible). To make this post I had to use a proxy server.

When I say I have no choice, I mean I cannot seem to access anything that is not on my Subscriptions list; no topics, subforums, etc. just the topics on my subscription list.

Again, I'm sorry for posting this here, I realise it is not the place. If I should have emailed Paradox, or PMed a Moderator, please tell me so via PM and delete this post. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

We do not do IP-bans anymore, its a long time since we did that. If you had done anything bad on the forums that would warrant enough infractions over a period of time for a ban, you'd get a regular temporary ban on the account, and you'd notice it.

Our ISP and hosting company will block ip-adresses that have been used for malicious attacks on their machines though.

I dont think you could do a firefly game, i mean we dont even know what the map would look like, i remember reading a massively long argument once over whether it was in a galaxy or a massive solar system. Not only that, but i would guess even attempting it would get massive sue-age from fox and its jackboots.
IF Paradox is to do a Space Game, it should be one of their own devising, that way its them telling their own story their way, not attempting a pale imitation of someone elses. And if its original not only is it custom made for the game so would fit it perfectly, but as its not based on popular content, is not so much subject to the quibbling of fans and selfappointed experts.

Anyway, if whoever sees this from Paradox, as it does say ask anything, had to be either a rabbit who could only talk in french sign language [not rabbit so no being friends with other rabbits] while stranded in Peru, or still a human but only able to speak rabbit and never able to learn any not rabbit languages and also in Peru [or somewhere else a long way away from anyone you know], which would they be?

Sorry you encountered a problem, If I had IP banned you you would not be able to see anything including what you had subscribed to, so I do not think it is that. Please e-mail forum_admin@paradoxplaza.com , and read the autoresponder carefully for further instructions on how to obtain assistance.

For the future questions like this can be asked in the forum help section.

Okay, thank you. As I said, I would have asked in the Forum Help section, but clicking on it only made the webpage go white :(

Not regularly, but I know me, King and Forzaa tend to go to one place pretty much every tuesday for a pint or three. And no, I don't want to say which bar publicly.

Sometimes there's a bigger crew with people like Captain Gars, Kallocain, Besuchov, Podcat, Tegus, Birken, Doomdark and some more going as well.. And then we can usually be found at Carmen or some other place where you can sit and talk over a few cheap beers :)

Ah, excellent choice of poor taste! Carmen is a real classic in the cheap beer section of the market, I used to spend a lot of evenings there and at Söderkällaren next door in the early 2000's :)

Excluded! :( Although admittedly not been out recently.