Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I use it for surfing, magazines and books and the occasional casual game. It's great for that, things you don't need a full pc for. But it sucks for writing( I have lost tons of posts on this pad!) and more complex manouvering. Mouse and keyboard is still superior in every single way.

Grrr- you guys aren't getting the point.

Whatever you're using now - and whatever you define as "tablet" are converging. So in a few years time you'll be using something that has the convenience of the tablet - but is as efficient and practical as a stationary PC.

Don't get hung up on details like touch input. I wholeheartedly agree keyboard and mouse is superior - they've been around forever and been iterated/improved a lot after all. Tablets will support peripherals to a much greater extent in the future and touch controls will improve even further.

/s

I am not limiting our world view, I am just saying that the kind of games you make (PDS, not all the games you publish) are not made for these machines/platforms.

Yet

There has been a long history of how important input devices are. Why some genres have remained preferred for PCs compared to some for consoles. Ever played StarCraft for the PS1? Just sayin'.
Poor UI

Which have been barely significant the past two years. They were quite exciting when Asus released their Eee a few years back, but even since the tablet craze took off, no one has cared about Netbooks. I don't know why, maybe they were expecting them to be able to do more, installing Windows 7 on them was a mistake or some other reason. They are hardly a wise platform to bet your investment on (I actually don't think there are anyone focusing on Netbook-games).
It does appear he is calling a laptop a net book, and laptops are fine to play pdox games

Yeah, those are quite big. But what the sales numbers are not telling you, is what kind of consumer it is that are purchasing tablets. I am going to take a guess that most people buying tablets are not the kind of person with the desire to play an in-depth game like Hearts of Iron 3 or Crusader Kings 2.

Screen is not important, input device is for a strategy game. I have tried Civilization: Revolutions for the PS3, and it has a more capable controller than a touch screen, and even that is disappointing to play. These systems always seem inadequate to a desktop.

personal bias combined with trying to use a console
I sincerely doubt that. Not only because I won't be playing games on my phone, but also because you won't have EU5 out by then.
Not if eu4 is the gamescon anouncement

That is not untrue, but the wrong input device can limit the gameplay you can create. Designing interfaces are an important part of game creating. You obviously should know this, and I am just thinking; with how important that tooltips have become in PDS games, how are you going to cover that on a touch device?
You mean asside from a double tap?

I will not write off desktops and laptops so quickly. They will remain the preferred gaming station for those who play the kind of games that PDS develops.

I am also not comfortable with most tablets, especially the iPad and the Microsoft Surface, whose platform seems to be incredibly closed and much less free than their desktop/laptop counterparts. I will not buy either of these devices for political and ideological reasons alone.

Tablets and smartphones are a sad movement away from free software. Even Android is hardly as free as it should be.

And when the touchscreen and windows 8 gains mometum :rolleyes:

Whatever you're using now - and whatever you define as "tablet" are converging. So in a few years time you'll be using something that has the convenience of the tablet - but is as efficient and practical as a stationary PC.

Yeah, I will remain sceptical on this note. I have made the predictions that desktops/laptops of today will diminish in numbers compared to tablets. Especially desktops will remain the tool of the few. Someone like me for instance.

It does not make sense to me that tablets and regular PCs will converge. Because that is not the purpose of tablets. They are not to be full sized desktops. Which is also why Windows 8 is a ridiculous idea.

Don't get hung up on details like touch input. I wholeheartedly agree keyboard and mouse is superior - they've been around forever and been iterated/improved a lot after all. Tablets will support peripherals to a much greater extent in the future and touch controls will improve even further.

I don't know how touch control can improve to the level of keyboard and mouse. They still rely on your fat fingers. And they are incredibly unreliable and imprecise.

And even if I can bring a keyboard and mouse to my tablet, it seems always like a weird addition. But essentially, what you will be targeting are laptops, if that is your point. And hopefully you will continue to release your games onto a platform where the user has some control over it, unlike iOS. I like PDS games because they are very 'open', they are obviously not free, but they are very unrestricted. A system like iOS will automatically restrict them.

And touch control will never be good enough for PDS games. I stand firmly by this absolute statement.

It does appear he is calling a laptop a net book, and laptops are fine to play pdox games

That is his mistake then, because netbooks and laptops are essentially different. And in an important aspect; power. But that was the point of netbooks, hence the net in netbook. It is supposed to just use Internet features.

personal bias combined with trying to use a console

My personal bias seems to reflect the general audience of complex strategy games. A category which PDS games falls under.

Not if eu4 is the gamescon anouncement

And then another one in five years? How long is it since EU3 by now?

You mean asside from a double tap?

Which is a terrible compensation. Double tap (or click) can easily be another interface interaction than tooltips. I will hate double tapping that often.

And when the touchscreen and windows 8 gains mometum :rolleyes:

I doubt Windows 8 will. But touch screens already have.

Considering the amount of visual information in a PDS game, it would be be uncomfortable to play that on a smartphone. Or any screen smaller than 10".

yet most tablets have a far higher resoultion then most desktops (at least in terms of p/si) just look at the retnia.

i do wonder how long until microsoft locks down windows like ios and macs in general. so maybe while you get tablets working you can work on getting linux to work :)

I have had EU2 on my tablet for over a year, It does need peripherials to really play it but on the other hand when EU2 was made no one had even heard of a tablet outside of sci-fi.

So Shams, your idea is basically that a tablet is used to actually power the future game, but it is more or less designed to be used together with a (wireless) connected display and input devices?
What do you think about the current movement towards more closed platforms, being only allowed to use signed binaries or only being able to get your software via a platform-specific store? How would modding PDX games work with this?

So Shams, your idea is basically that a tablet is used to actually power the future game, but it is more or less designed to be used together with a (wireless) connected display and input devices?
What do you think about the current movement towards more closed platforms, being only allowed to use signed binaries or only being able to get your software via a platform-specific store? How would modding PDX games work with this?

A completely walled off enviroment is obviously not good - but at the same time environments that are somewhat closed off but still offer freedom is also good.

Case in point being Steam - it's not "open" by any definition (Steam greenlight and other changes will improve this) but nonetheless it's been an incredible boon to pc gaming and Paradox particularly.

There's a lot of speculation right now about W8 and not many have had actually facetime with it. But it again feels like we're getting focused on tech.

The vision for Paradox is to be as ubiquitous as possible - ie not be dependent on hardware, software or platforms. Take games played in a browser for instance - they couldn't care less how "walled off" Steam or W8 is right? So the more independent you are the better you're suited for all the twists and turns that are bound to happen in the industry. Our unique selling point isn't that we're so damned good at tech or that we're best at PC - we succeed because we give gamers an experience nobody else does - platform is secondary to that for me.

/s

/s

For me (and I recognise this is fairly rare), the stationary aspect of the PC is a good thing. The PC is mine; not the kids' or my wife's. When I want to use it I use it, she isn't watching The Good Wife on it and the boys aren't doing image searches for Zooey Deschanel or watching Peppa Pig on it. The minute it became mobile, it wouldn't be mine anymore, so I'm happy to keep it that way.

Maybe I'm in a tiny minority on this but I wouldn't completely discopunt the factor, I can't be the only guy in his 30s who has a room that is pretty much just for him and his PC, a refuge from family life so to speak*

*this makes it sound like I hate my family, I don't, I just like a bit of me time every so often.

For me (and I recognise this is fairly rare), the stationary aspect of the PC is a good thing. The PC is mine; not the kids' or my wife's. When I want to use it I use it, she isn't watching The Good Wife on it and the boys aren't doing image searches for Zooey Deschanel or watching Peppa Pig on it. The minute it became mobile, it wouldn't be mine anymore, so I'm happy to keep it that way.

Maybe I'm in a tiny minority on this but I wouldn't completely discopunt the factor, I can't be the only guy in his 30s who has a room that is pretty much just for him and his PC, a refuge from family life so to speak*

*this makes it sound like I hate my family, I don't, I just like a bit of me time every so often.

i get where you come from, mine costs more then my car (3000NZD vs 1500NZD) and it dominates my room with its desk and attachments yet its mine my brother or sister can't take it to just use as its to hard to move.

also i built the bloody thing so it contains my sweet and tears (literally, it was my first build and i sweated like a pig, THEN it wouldn't boot!) its my baby, just don't tell the GF :ninja:

The vision for Paradox is to be as ubiquitous as possible - ie not be dependent on hardware, software or platforms. Take games played in a browser for instance - they couldn't care less how "walled off" Steam or W8 is right? So the more independent you are the better you're suited for all the twists and turns that are bound to happen in the industry. Our unique selling point isn't that we're so damned good at tech or that we're best at PC - we succeed because we give gamers an experience nobody else does - platform is secondary to that for me.

I can totally agree with that, but your talk about tablets as the 'future platform' makes it seem like platform is primary for you guys. If the 'tablets' are converging with regular laptops, then essentially I could argue this; why not just continue writing games for the same platform as you are doing now, it will eventually meet with the tablets anyway? I doubt you (i.e. Paradox) is going to be missing out by being late to the tablet party, because of the kind of games you make. Also, I doubt you are going to be making big bucks by trying to steer your production towards where you believe it will be anyway.

Either that, or I am totally misinterpreting what you guys are saying.

As cool as games in the browser are, I think PDS games are at least better when modable, and that is going to be difficult when running through the web browser, as the server controlling the game is entirely off hands for the player (moreso than Steam or W8). Unless you wish to implement the entire game in the browser, in which case, it probably won't be as cross-platform.