• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HMAS-Nameless

Tsar of Australiarr
51 Badges
Sep 18, 2009
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Iron Cross
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Rome Gold
hab.png

FORWARD
-----------------------------
The following accounts the military life of my grand-father, Dale Sutherland who at age of twenty-one enlisted in the United States Airborne. Dale was put into Fox Company of the 502nd PIR (Parachute Infantry Regiment) which was soon to be attached to the infamous 101st Airborne Division and would take part in many combat operations of the final years of the last world war such as the Normandy Campaign, Operation Market Garden, the Ardennes Offensive and would be deactivated on the 30th of November 1945 with rest of the division in Austria after undertaking occupational duties. I have attempted to piece together his and his men’s war time experience from his personal diaries and stories he told me as a child.
-Frank Sutherland

TABLE OF CONTENTS
-----------------------------------
PERSONNEL

----
A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR:
Welcome to my newest After Action Report and my first for Hearts of Iron III! As you might guess this a completely historical account of the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne through the eyes of fictional characters of 1st Squad in narrative form. I am not playing an actual game of Hearts of Iron, I am accounting directly from history. I have influenced greatly by the HBO Miniseries: Band of Brothers to take you along the journey of the 502nd who fought alongside the famed 506th Regiment. It has been written as through the use of diary entries in the form of a book written by the fictional grandson of one of the soldiers! Remember to tell your friends!
DISCLAIMER:
All characters in this AAR are fictional except Robert G. Cole and or other famous military generals

Last edited:
PERSONNEL

150px-US_101st_Airborne_Division_patch.svg.png

101st "Screaming Eagles" Division

Robert G. Cole
Texas
March 19th 1915 (age: 29)

502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment:

Sgt. Dale Sutherland –
Missouri
Squad Leader
Born: June 1st 1918 (age: 26)

Joey Bahlau's Fireteam:
Cpl. Joe Bahlau
Missouri
Team Leader
Born: January 9th 1918 (age: 26)

Pfc. Herbert “Cowboy” Warren
Texas
Soldier
Born: September 23rd 1921 (age: 23)

Pfc. Edward Lorraine
Philadelphia
Soldier
Born: August 4th 1919 (age: 25)

Private John Wisnewski
Louisiana
Soldier
Born: February 7th 1920 (age: 24)

Sam Pelfrey's Fireteam:
Cpl. Sam Pelfrey
Wyoming
Team Leader
Born: November 18th 1923 (age: 21)

Pfc. George Elliot
New York
Soldier
Born: January 23rd 1919

Private Henry Bennett
New York
Born: May 14th 1921 (age: 23)

Private Eugene Macky
Maine
Born: April 12th 1924 (age:20)

Other:
Frank Slackey
Missouri
Born: June 29th 1918

502_Parachute_Infantry_Regiment_COA.PNG

Last edited:
Wow Thank you for sharing something so personal with the AAR forums. I think this promises to be an AAR like no other.

sorry i think you missread the first note at the bottom of the first post haha its about a fictional group of soldiers written from the perspective of one of the fictional soldier's (Dale Sutherland) grandsons whos pieced together his experience from the war. Thanks anyway :D

sorry i think you missread the first note at the bottom of the first post haha its about a fictional group of soldiers written from the perspective of one of the fictional soldier's (Dale Sutherland) grandsons whos pieced together his experience from the war. Thanks anyway :D

Haha sorry about that, chief. Anyway this AAR still looks cool.

hab1.png

PROLOGUE

My grandfather Dale Sutherland was involved with military from birth, born to a father who had returned from the First Great War in 1917 as one of its very first wounded and a former nurse, he grew up in a small town in eastern Missouri. However his father attempted to steer him away from the army and forced him to follow the path of a priest for his father had become a Methodist Pastor following the end of the war. Stressed out, Dale desperately want to find an alternative even though in the end following his schooling days he was forced directly by his father to begin studying priesthood. By the time he was twenty however he had swayed on a different path choosing friends and playing baseball over studying much to his father’s dismay. He went about finding a way out of his duties constantly which came to its head in the December 1941 when Japan declared war on the United States.

220px-USSArizona_PearlHarbor_2.jpg
The Attack on Pearl Harbor brought the United States into the War

Diary Entries
December 11th 1941
Japan and the US are at War! Franky Slackey, Joe Bahlau and I were in the local shop hanging around when the shop owned came up to us and told us to pack up our stuff and enlist. It seemed as though the United States had been directly attacked at a harbor in Hawaii by the Japanese airplanes and had joined the war! Finally it seemed that I have an alternative to following my ridiculous father and becoming a priest. Joe, Franky and I quickly made plans to enlist together and go and see the world! Trouble arose later at home when mother and father did not allow me to go. I had a major fight with my father and now I am finally had enough and I plan to run off and join the army. I am old enough to do what I would like, I’m not a little child. But I will leave them a note saying where I am going.

December 20th 1941
For the last few days I have been staying at Joey’s place before we enlist after Christmas. Joe’s folks have let me stay with them because me and him lied that my parents were out of town and my parents had let us both enlist together. I have heard news that two guys, my age committed suicide because they couldn’t enlist.

December 27th 1941
Today me, Joey and Franky enlisted. Franky decided to go ahead rather than wait for us and enlist in the Infantry but when Joe and I arrived we discovered something more suitable for us. The guy at the enlistment booth told us about a brand new thing called the airborne. I don’t know what it was but Joey and I decided that we felt this was right thing to join, maybe the $50 more a week also swayed out attention.

Last edited:
Nice. :cool: Following.

I shall read! Looks of the outmost interest, and not to mention I love the HBO series "Band of Brothers!" :cool:

It looks REALLY cool to read. It's a cool switch from the normal Gameplay-AAR. I'll be reading. \o

YAY BAND OF BROTHERS :D! Lets hope that Luger doesn't go off randomly and cut someones main leg artery... and kill them :(

Brothers in Arms, more like. Col. Cole is a badass.

Brothers in Arms, more like. Col. Cole is a badass.

True, and he was a real soldier; I've always loved the Brothers in Arms series (except the last one, of course) ;)