Thread: TO HELL AND BACK - The Story of the 101st Airborne

Tsar of Australiarr HMAS-Nameless's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

TO HELL AND BACK - The Story of the 101st Airborne

FORWARD
    -----------------------------
    The following accounts the military life of my grand-father, Dale Sutherland who at age of twenty-one enlisted in the United States Airborne. Dale was put into Fox Company of the 502nd PIR (Parachute Infantry Regiment) which was soon to be attached to the infamous 101st Airborne Division and would take part in many combat operations of the final years of the last world war such as the Normandy Campaign, Operation Market Garden, the Ardennes Offensive and would be deactivated on the 30th of November 1945 with rest of the division in Austria after undertaking occupational duties. I have attempted to piece together his and his men’s war time experience from his personal diaries and stories he told me as a child.
    -Frank Sutherland

TABLE OF CONTENTS
    -----------------------------------
    PERSONNEL

----
    A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR:
    Welcome to my newest After Action Report and my first for Hearts of Iron III! As you might guess this a completely historical account of the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne through the eyes of fictional characters of 1st Squad in narrative form. I am not playing an actual game of Hearts of Iron, I am accounting directly from history. I have influenced greatly by the HBO Miniseries: Band of Brothers to take you along the journey of the 502nd who fought alongside the famed 506th Regiment. It has been written as through the use of diary entries in the form of a book written by the fictional grandson of one of the soldiers! Remember to tell your friends!
    DISCLAIMER:
    All characters in this AAR are fictional except Robert G. Cole and or other famous military generals
    Last edited by HMAS-Nameless; 06-04-2010 at 14:10.
    AARS

GOTT MIT UNS! Rise of the Black Eagle! [DEAD] (Prussia: Victoria 2)

MODS

SEXIICOLOURS 1.3! for Victoria II. Want a better more historic country colour scheme? Sick of Prussia being yellow? isn't Prussian Blue much better:P

five o deuce
    Owner of a cookie of Awesome Communist Guessing!

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDiplomacyEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldLegioMajesty 2Rome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Edited for being a moron lol.
    Last edited by EvilFishtank; 28-03-2010 at 20:12.

PERSONNEL

101st "Screaming Eagles" Division

Robert G. Cole
    Texas
    March 19th 1915 (age: 29)

502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment:

Sgt. Dale Sutherland –
    Missouri
    Squad Leader
    Born: June 1st 1918 (age: 26)

Joey Bahlau's Fireteam:
    Cpl. Joe Bahlau
    Missouri
    Team Leader
    Born: January 9th 1918 (age: 26)

Pfc. Herbert “Cowboy” Warren
    Texas
    Soldier
    Born: September 23rd 1921 (age: 23)

Pfc. Edward Lorraine
    Philadelphia
    Soldier
    Born: August 4th 1919 (age: 25)

Private John Wisnewski
    Louisiana
    Soldier
    Born: February 7th 1920 (age: 24)

Sam Pelfrey's Fireteam:
    Cpl. Sam Pelfrey
    Wyoming
    Team Leader
    Born: November 18th 1923 (age: 21)

Pfc. George Elliot
    New York
    Soldier
    Born: January 23rd 1919

Private Henry Bennett
    New York
    Born: May 14th 1921 (age: 23)

Private Eugene Macky
    Maine
    Born: April 12th 1924 (age:20)

Other:
    Frank Slackey
    Missouri
    Born: June 29th 1918

Last edited by HMAS-Nameless; 29-03-2010 at 01:48.
    AARS

MODS

SEXIICOLOURS 1.3! for Victoria II. Want a better more historic country colour scheme? Sick of Prussia being yellow? isn't Prussian Blue much better:P

Quote Originally Posted by EvilFishtank View Post
    Wow Thank you for sharing something so personal with the AAR forums. I think this promises to be an AAR like no other.
    sorry i think you missread the first note at the bottom of the first post haha its about a fictional group of soldiers written from the perspective of one of the fictional soldier's (Dale Sutherland) grandsons whos pieced together his experience from the war. Thanks anyway
    AARS

MODS

YAY BAND OF BROTHERS ! Lets hope that Luger doesn't go off randomly and cut someones main leg artery... and kill them

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    500k club

Oh-oh, I think I'll be following this
    "Mankind has only one science. It is the science of discontent." -- Count Hasimir Fenring
    The Führer Goes Nuts! (and he's contagious) - An utterly nonsensical HoI 3 AAR.
    Danse Macabre - A Victoria: Revolutions / Hearts of Iron III / World of Darkness crossover.
    Updates on both AARs resuming in May

Quote Originally Posted by Morrell8 View Post
    YAY BAND OF BROTHERS ! Lets hope that Luger doesn't go off randomly and cut someones main leg artery... and kill them
    yeh no lugers for any of my guys :P
    Thanks for the comments a comment every couple minutes at this rate
    AARS

MODS

I have difficulty reading the red.

Where did you get the names for the soldiers? People you know?

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDiplomacyEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldLegioMajesty 2Rome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by HMAS-Nameless View Post
    sorry i think you missread the first note at the bottom of the first post haha its about a fictional group of soldiers written from the perspective of one of the fictional soldier's (Dale Sutherland) grandsons whos pieced together his experience from the war. Thanks anyway
    Haha sorry about that, chief. Anyway this AAR still looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Middelkerke View Post
    I have difficulty reading the red.

Where did you get the names for the soldiers? People you know?
    I found the names from various sources of actual soldiers surnames but I replaced them with common names from the 1940s
    AARS

MODS

PROLOGUE

My grandfather Dale Sutherland was involved with military from birth, born to a father who had returned from the First Great War in 1917 as one of its very first wounded and a former nurse, he grew up in a small town in eastern Missouri. However his father attempted to steer him away from the army and forced him to follow the path of a priest for his father had become a Methodist Pastor following the end of the war. Stressed out, Dale desperately want to find an alternative even though in the end following his schooling days he was forced directly by his father to begin studying priesthood. By the time he was twenty however he had swayed on a different path choosing friends and playing baseball over studying much to his father’s dismay. He went about finding a way out of his duties constantly which came to its head in the December 1941 when Japan declared war on the United States.

The Attack on Pearl Harbor brought the United States into the War

Diary Entries
    December 11th 1941
    Japan and the US are at War! Franky Slackey, Joe Bahlau and I were in the local shop hanging around when the shop owned came up to us and told us to pack up our stuff and enlist. It seemed as though the United States had been directly attacked at a harbor in Hawaii by the Japanese airplanes and had joined the war! Finally it seemed that I have an alternative to following my ridiculous father and becoming a priest. Joe, Franky and I quickly made plans to enlist together and go and see the world! Trouble arose later at home when mother and father did not allow me to go. I had a major fight with my father and now I am finally had enough and I plan to run off and join the army. I am old enough to do what I would like, I’m not a little child. But I will leave them a note saying where I am going.

December 20th 1941
    For the last few days I have been staying at Joey’s place before we enlist after Christmas. Joe’s folks have let me stay with them because me and him lied that my parents were out of town and my parents had let us both enlist together. I have heard news that two guys, my age committed suicide because they couldn’t enlist.

December 27th 1941
    Today me, Joey and Franky enlisted. Franky decided to go ahead rather than wait for us and enlist in the Infantry but when Joe and I arrived we discovered something more suitable for us. The guy at the enlistment booth told us about a brand new thing called the airborne. I don’t know what it was but Joey and I decided that we felt this was right thing to join, maybe the $50 more a week also swayed out attention.

Last edited by HMAS-Nameless; 30-03-2010 at 10:05.
    AARS

MODS

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    500k club

... not to mention the joys of sightseeing from a height of several hundred feet
    "Mankind has only one science. It is the science of discontent." -- Count Hasimir Fenring
    The Führer Goes Nuts! (and he's contagious) - An utterly nonsensical HoI 3 AAR.
    Danse Macabre - A Victoria: Revolutions / Hearts of Iron III / World of Darkness crossover.
    Updates on both AARs resuming in May

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Nice. Following.
    God's protection is better than the strongest armor or the tallest tower.
    Fan of the Week: 4/25/10 Was a recipient of one of King_Richard_XI's birthday cookies:
    Nationality: American (Dixie), Religion: Southern Baptist, Ideology: Reactionary, Issues: Jingoism
    billy bob's opinion of Mississippi
    My first AAR: Etruria: Forging an Empire (a disaster, but completed)
    My second AAR: Confessions to a Boatman: An Ottoman AAR (dead)

Magister Philosophiæ volksmarschall's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    I shall read! Looks of the outmost interest, and not to mention I love the HBO series "Band of Brothers!"
    Working On: The Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization (EUIV) 3x AwAARds Preface | Volume 1 | Volume 2
    Completed AAR(s):
    The Presidents: Clay to Smith (1836-1920) (History Book, 57 pages, my magnum opus) 7x AwAARd winner.
    Saints and Angels: An Epic of the American Civil War, (Narrative, 22 pages) 6x AwAARd winner.
    My Inkwell! (2 more completed AARs, 5 failed adventures, and brief bio!) | On Hold: The House of Habsburg In the Age of Empire (EUIV History Book)
    My AwAARds: 8x ACA AwAARd recipient (6x 1st Favorite), 4x Character WritAAR of the Week, 3x WritAAR of the Week, 3x Showcase, Fan of the week 1/03/09 & 9/02/14 (Full List in Inkewll)
    I am a historian, philosopher, and research economist (B.A. in those 3 subjects) | "God is the savior of all mankind" (1Tim 4:10)
    The Paradox Historiography Society | Sailing to Byzantium (Touring the city of Byzantium, or Constantinople, from founding to present).

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

It looks REALLY cool to read. It's a cool switch from the normal Gameplay-AAR. I'll be reading. \o
    "When something is unbelievable when I'm not able to believe how unbelievably unbelievable
    That you believe you could not be-lievable
    That's when I have to say
    WOW
    "
    ~~ Marilyn Manson

Quote Originally Posted by Morrell8 View Post
    Brothers in Arms, more like. Col. Cole is a badass.

Quote Originally Posted by dublish View Post
    Brothers in Arms, more like. Col. Cole is a badass.

True, and he was a real soldier; I've always loved the Brothers in Arms series (except the last one, of course)
    War loses a great deal of its romance after a soldier has seen his first battle. I have a more vivid recollection of the first than the last one I was in. It is a classical maxim that it is sweet and becoming to die for one’s country; but whoever has seen the horrors of a battlefield feels that it is far sweeter to live for it.

John Singleton Mosby

I actually really liked hells highway
    AARS

MODS

Don't know what the rules are in the US but in Europe you can't become a Catholic pastor if your married.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast