• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(18239)

Lt.-Colonel of Guerillas
Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
So, as some sort of 'prelude' to Warband I want to give the original Mount & Blade another go. It has been two years since I last played, back then there was no story and the map was quite barren.

What should I do? Just launch vanilla or download and install a few mods straight away?

Edit: Native Expansion and Gameplay extension mods sound nice, wise to install them right away or better wait till I am 'used to it' once more?

Last edited:
The game isn't very complex so I say go ahead and try some mods, but keep to the 'old' well tested ones. No fun fiddling with bugs. And avoid those who completely change the game - like Custom Settlements. Its' impressive but hard to begin with.

Native Expansion is a good idea or Sword of Damocles or Barren Lands (all close to native).
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52131.0.html

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,59651.0.html

Dowloaded Barren lands and the extended gameplay III

Last edited:
Probably a little late to say this, but don't select the save on exit option because then you don't get the choice to save as, although you can make backups of any of your save game files regardless.

Once that save game gets an error, it's done. Good luck getting tech support on it. I'm having this problem right now. Probably over 120 hours game play on this game now, and then I got this error and can't recover my saved game.

One of the most stupid and unrealistic save game policies I've ever seen in a game is the save on exit. Nice and realistic policy, until the save game gets an error on it and then it's forever gone. It's so ridiculous and dangerous, it shouldn't even be offered as an option. Had I known just a week ago what I know now, I would have been making backup copies of my game quite a lot, as tedious as that would have been.