Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rise of Prussia Review Collection

Rise of Prussia Review Collection

Here are the reviews for Rise of Prussia. Will be updated continuously.

4 of 5 - http://myinsidegamer.com/reviews/rev...se-of-prussia/

Rise of Prussia proves to be quite an in depth strategy game, a game that veterans of the genre will enjoy immensely.

The controls themselves work really well, offering easy navigation and a whole host of short cuts to remember. The short cuts make sense though and prove useful to remember.

The depth to this game is staggering, in fact at times you can feel overwhelmed with all the options open to you.

/s
    Last edited by Pocus; 10-03-2010 at 11:08.
    Chun Li: My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away. A hero at a thousand paces!
    Bison: I'm sorry... I don't remember any of it.
    Chun Li: You don't remember?
    Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.

Twitter: @ShamsJorjani

Deus VultEU3 Complete

Hi!
    Here is the Out of Eight RoP Review

http://www.outofeight.info/2010/03/r...ia-review.html

The Good: Reduced unit count and smaller geographic area makes the game easier to control, comprehensive orders and postures for historically detailed units, variety of leader attributes, mostly informative interface, capable AI, play by e-mail, nice 2-D map, unique setting

The Not So Good: Too similar to previous titles, needs more smaller scenarios

What say you? A smaller scale makes for a more intimate and relatively simplified strategy experience: 6/8

The AI puts up a nice fight, going after vulnerable units, taking objective locations, and managing its army well
    (this line inserted by Pocus, doing an AI is a lot of work )
    Last edited by Pocus; 16-03-2010 at 10:43.
    Known as Arsan at AGEOD forums (and elsewhere!)

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Small site but done by a connaisseur of strategy games:

http://wgnb.blogspot.com/2010/03/ris...ame-first.html

this game - already very solid - is backed by the usual excellent support and high standards the company holds for the Athena engine-based product line.

the game is really quite good and I would recommend it to any fans of the engine as it provides enough new features to make things quite interesting.

this series continues to offer one of the best AIs in PC wargaming and the overall production values and refinement are hard to beat.

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2Semper FiVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires. Argentina

Gamershall.de scored Rise of Prussia with a thrilling 88%!

Gamershall.de scored Rise of Prussia with a thrilling 88%!

Once again AGEOD succeeds in combining complexity and detailedness with easy handling and comprehensible game mechanics. For people interested in the historical period RoP is simply a must, but all other friends of military strategy games are advised to give it a try. The scenarios and especially the grand campaign are fascinating and diversified, making the game very addictive. Furthermore, RoP comes with valuable addition to the game engine. Personally, I consider RoP to be the best AGEOD game so far. However, people insisting on tanks and planes might be slightly disappointed with the game.
    http://www.gamershall.de/index.php?p...ise-of-prussia
    AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!
    FACEBOOK: AGEOD - Pride of Nations
    Pride of Nations already available!! - AGEOD forum - Paradox forum
    -------
    Football Manager: La AAR chaquetera oficial FM 2007, FM 2008

My (sorta) review at my blog:

Rise of Prussia Review at Real and Simulated Wars

Sorry for the shameless plug and for the formatting of my review. Blogspot is driving me nuts!

Cheers,

Generalisimo, you an Argie? Me too! Saludos!

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2Semper FiVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires. Argentina

Post Gamedot: very in-depth; Easy to pick up - hard to master

Gamedot: very in-depth; Easy to pick up - hard to master

Overall this game is good and that’s coming from someone who until playing this game, hadn’t played a turn based strategy game. The game is very in-depth and is one of the games that can have “Easy to pick up; hard to master” said about it.
    http://www.gamedot.co.uk/2010/03/26/...russia-review/
    AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!
    FACEBOOK: AGEOD - Pride of Nations
    Pride of Nations already available!! - AGEOD forum - Paradox forum
    -------
    Football Manager: La AAR chaquetera oficial FM 2007, FM 2008

Corporal
    Cities in MotionCommander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India Company CollectionRome GoldRome: Vae Victis

gamealive.net: "No show, all substance" (64%)

gamealive.net: "No show, all substance" (64%) (German)

Rise of Prussia is best described as "No show, all substance". The graphics are pretty dry and boring, but the strategic depth is huge and the the theater is refreshing.

Graphics & Sound
    + atmospheric music
    + nice 2D Map

- outdated graphics
    - dry presentation
    - no animated battles

Balance
    + very good AI
    + many different options

- very difficult
    - tutorials are insufficient

Scope

+ seven years war is historical correct displayed
    + events

- no diplomacy
    - no research, no economy

Handling
    + well-arranged menus
    + drag & drop
    + quick unit construction system
    + many informations

- sometimes hints are overlapping
    - not enough information about allies and foes

Misc.
    + refreshing scenario
    + historical correct
    + great strategic depth

- steep learning curve
    http://gamealive.net/wordpress/?p=8860
    Last edited by dooya; 26-03-2010 at 20:59.

Corporal
    Cities in MotionCommander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India Company CollectionRome GoldRome: Vae Victis

elder-geek.com: Experience some serious strategy gaming

elder-geek.com: Experience some serious strategy gaming

Overall, Rise of Prussia is a game that is a hit-or-miss for players. For veterans of this style of game, this is a must purchase. If you are unsure, but wouldn’t mind giving the game a try, get the demo. The game is not nearly as intimidating as it appears. The tutorials give you a nice crash course on the basics to ultimately get you started on the right track. The key to having fun with these games is to keep playing and learning by playing. Another point to remember is that these games are all about the gameplay experience rather than aesthetic amusement. If you want to experience some serious strategy gaming, you should definitely give Rise of Prussia a try. However, if you’re looking for a more arcade-like strategy game, then look to the Total War series.
    http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/rise-of-prussia-review/
    No quote - No bullshit!

Corporal

A Wargamer's Notebook: One of the best AIs in PC wargaming

A Wargamer's Notebook: One of the best AIs in PC wargaming

So far - the game is really quite good and I would recommend it to any fans of the engine as it provides enough new features to make things quite interesting. It is bigger - but not bloated. And of course it offers a new strategic situation in what Winston Churchill called the real "first world war." To those who are not fans of this series, this is still the same animal, and they may want to take a pass. However, this game system continues to offer one of the best AIs in PC wargaming and the overall production values and refinement are hard to beat. Anywhere.
    http://wgnb.blogspot.com/2010/03/ris...ame-first.html
    No quote - No bullshit!

Corporal

gameplayer.se: nice strategy experience and joy in gaming (70%)

gameplayer.se: nice strategy experience and joy in gaming (70%)

Rise of Prussia is a very nice strategy experience that grows with the player. It takes time to learn, and impatient gamers might be tempted to opt for something easier accessible. However, give the game the time it deserves, and I believe will you have something valuable in return: joy in gaming

+ PLUS:
    A well-made strategy game based on an interesting period in history

- MINUS:
    The learning curve, the difficulty level and the graphics can prevent certain players from enjoying the game fully.

CONCLUSION:
    A stable craftmanship with no serious flaws: 7 out of 10
    http://gameplayer.se/game_info.php?g...section=1#main

(Translation kindly provided by Rafiki. )
    No quote - No bullshit!

Corporal

gamepyre.com: great game, worth the time and the money (Gold Award, 92%)

gamepyre.com: great game, worth the time and the money (Gold Award, 92%)

Rise of Prussia has actually gotten me into a genre of games that I never really played much in my gaming life. Things have come a long way since Nintendo’s Ghengis Khan game(the first and really only turn based strategy game I have played prior). Graphical perfection is pretty close to spot on. Game play and mechanics make the game complex and the replay value much greater as you can always go back and “Do it better”. Rise of Prussia is a great game and thanks to AGEOD and publisher Paradox Interactive for developing and producing another title in the series. A series in which now, I will have to go back and get previous versions. If you like the series with some added changes and tweaks then pick up Rise of Prussia. It is worth the time and the money to help re-conquer the old world.
    http://www.gamepyre.com/reviews/games/pc/1167_1.html

First Gold Award!
    Last edited by Pocus; 30-03-2010 at 16:12.
    No quote - No bullshit!

Corporal

4players.de: Serious, but dry portrayal of the Seven Years War, very complex (76%)

4players.de: Serious, but dry portrayal of the Seven Years War, very complex (76%) (German)

After the American Independence War, the Secession Wars and Napoleon, the strategy experts at AGEOD's now focussing on the era of Frederic the Great. As always, they approach the topic with adequate respect and the required historical deepness, but neglect comfort and beginner-friendliness. Who wants to get happy with Rise of Prussia has to dig into the game like into a fat tome about the Seven Years War. You need to learn the Chain of Command and to supply your troops, because otherwise you will win not a dime in this game. To be victorious, you have to be careful, and pay respect to weather, terrain and the enemy. Unfortunately, the battle presentation is very dry and offers no ways to influence the strategic moves in the battle, because the battle mechanics and outcomes are fixed by the engine. At this point, a system like in Empire Total War would be more desirable, because it allows for interaction and decisions during the battle. Moreover, Total War is much more clearly arranged, because it is easy to handle despite its complexity. For Rise of Prussia, it is easy to overlook a trick or loose sight of a unit on the map, and to wonder then why things got stuck at some point. Moreover, the turn-based game only focuses on the war between Prussia and Austria – war economy, research and diplomacy are mainly neglected. Nevertheless, if you can cope with these weak points and a mixed-up localization, will enjoy another historical insider tip from Paradox.
    http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...3/0/index.html

Please note that 4players.de is a mainstream magazine, which renders 76% an excellent score. (And by the way, it is one of Germany's biggest online game magazines.)
    No quote - No bullshit!

Corporal

square-go.com: struggles in no major area and thrives in many

square-go.com: struggles in no major area and thrives in many
    Rise of Prussia struggles in no major area and thrives in many. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea as rarely any game is but even the least die hard strategy fans will find something to enjoy in this title.
    http://www.square-go.com/review/1020
    No quote - No bullshit!

For The Glory

Cardiff, Wales, UK, EU, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
    Hello Paradox people.

I got the opportunity to review my 2nd paradox game and seized it graciously. I hope you youngsters enjoy. Appretiate that the people viewing this forum probably aren't the target audience because you've probably already bought the game XD

Woof woof!
    Where is my sword?

Corporal

ccgr.org: Unique turn based strategy game

ccgr.org: Unique turn based strategy game

Rise of Prussia may not be for everyone since it’s a niche strategy game. Casual RTS gamers may not appreciate all that it has to offer. If you like history or turn based warfare games, I would recommend checking out the demo.
    http://www.ccgr.org/reviews-mainmenu...omputer/5131-r
    No quote - No bullshit!

“Rise of Prussia struggles in no major area and thrives in many.”

"(...) it remains a very difficult game as the computer controlled enemy is extremely intelligent. Indeed this game has some of the best AI in the genre and it's only after playing for a fairly long time that it becomes possible to best a foe."

4/5

Altern8 Review

http://www.alltern8.com/library/rise...ia/l-5206.html

“For those who love intense and in-depth, highly complicated, history-based games, Rise of Prussia should be included into your Top 10 games to play in 2010.”

8/10

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLegioMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Most supporters of the Oslo Accords insisted that this agreement would solve all existing problems.

Armchair General

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rise-...ame-review.htm

Rise of Prussia has one of the best game mechanics I’ve seen for giving players a good reason to place an inferior leader in command of an army or a corps.

Passed Inspection: Three well-designed tutorials guide you through the interfaces and game play. Good explanations for rules that reflect the period. Individual game mechanics easy and quick to learn.

Failed Basic: Steep learning curve (there’s a reason for three tutorials that build on each other). PBEM is the only option for playing another person. Game interfaces intrude into the game map.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast