Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Please Don't Shoot-Slavery

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Ok to ge tthis thread back on track, because if it continues the way it is it will be locked, there is a slave POP, not there is no international slave trade (that is outlawed) and the government does not go into the slave business.
    But how slaves migration will work? Slaves are not free, they can't just go somewhere where the living is good and a goldrush started. However they will probably move somewhere where their masters will go.
    So do slaves have some special migration algorythm?

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by 4kn View Post
    But how slaves migration will work? Slaves are not free, they can't just go somewhere where the living is good and a goldrush started. However they will probably move somewhere where their masters will go.
    So do slaves have some special migration algorythm?
    IIRC King already suggested that slaves will move when their aristocrat will move. So when he will switch provinces, he won't be alone.
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

- Primary Iterator Kyril Sindermann

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by tchaves View Post
    one question: I know slavery is present in vicky 1(with a "slave" pop), but will it be present in vicky 2?
    another thing(and this is where I ask you not to shoot me down): will you be able to buy slaves? this is historically accurate, and would be fun gameplay-wise.
    (but please dont bomb me with angy replies)
    Slaves would defintitely be a pop.

International Slave Trade was outlawed by the time of Victoria, and the only ones still doing it were African kingdoms (ok, I don't know enough of Asian kingdoms for this era to know if they traded slaves). Raids for slaves were still ongoing in Africa too.
    general Otto Metzler in a Federation of Equals

Maximilien Bellamy in "Edge of Europe"

what i meant about "buying" slaves is that provinces where there are aristocrats in countries where slavery is allowed would get forced immigration of slaves(varying amount of immigrant according to size and cash reserves of aristocrats...)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Ok to ge tthis thread back on track, because if it continues the way it is it will be locked, there is a slave POP, not there is no international slave trade (that is outlawed) and the government does not go into the slave business.
    Will there be internal slave trade?

For instance, in Brazil it was quite important during the period, with slaves being brought from the declining sugar plantations in the northeast of the country to the southeast (specially So Paulo).
    Imperium 1.4 (Mod for Victoria II)

Austria: efficient like the Germans, musical like the Italians and refined like the French.

Er...is there any reason in V2 to actually keep slavery as an insitution? Slavery was considered terrible economic-wise in V1, will this still continue? I mean, the fact that some people still wanted slaves indicated that slavery must have some sort of benieft to those nations, somehow...um...er...

Right now, all I know is that the only negative thing to outlawing slavery would be making your POPs more reactionary.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by tchaves View Post
    what i meant about "buying" slaves is that provinces where there are aristocrats in countries where slavery is allowed would get forced immigration of slaves(varying amount of immigrant according to size and cash reserves of aristocrats...)
    Would work in Africa, not only slaves, but peasants from neighbouring provinces forced to immigrate and become slaves due to raids.
    general Otto Metzler in a Federation of Equals

Maximilien Bellamy in "Edge of Europe"

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Servant View Post
    Er...is there any reason in V2 to actually keep slavery as an insitution?
    Apart from the fact that it was there and it was still pretty important in RL, and was the reason the american civil war started? Nope. I don't see why they want to keep it.
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k club

I hope that the slave trade is not included in the upcoming game. Players could buy as many slaves as they could afford, knowing full well that when slavery is outlawed, they have a large labor force that they can promote to craftsmen/clerks and really boost their industrial score.

Imagine the former CSA as heavily industrialized as the North...
    Never ask me if I care; you should know that answer before you even ask the question.

-tes

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Vesimir View Post
    Apart from the fact that it was there and it was still pretty important in RL, and was the reason the american civil war started? Nope. I don't see why they want to keep it.
    What he meant was, would there be any reason for you as the player to keep the slaves and not turning them into good taxpayers
    I alone have the right to use my avatar!

See the proof

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Vesimir View Post
    Er...is there any reason in V2 to actually keep slavery as an insitution?
    No need to get sarcastic.

I think you misinterpreted Servant's question. I'm pretty sure he wasn't asking why slavery should be in the game, but rather if a country in Vic2 would be able to benefit from keeping slavery rather than abolishing it. In Vic1, the choice between slavery and abolishment was a no-brainer. The only reason I can think of why someone would've chosen to keep slavery in Vic1, was role-playing. Economically, abolishment was far more interesting.

I think allowing slaves to work in factories, would go a long way to make it more interesting for a country to legalise slavery. Since the slaves wouldn't receive an income, the rest of the factory's workforce and capi's would receive more money. And you wouldn't have much-needed workforce stuck in RGO's.

Or will the income generated by slave POP's go to aristocrats?

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta
    V2 AHD BetaPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhion View Post
    The only reason I can think of why someone would've chosen to keep slavery in Vic1, was role-playing.
    A fine tradition that I intend to continue upon the release of Victoria II. Not necessarily in regard to slavery, just in general.
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perfected by the sixteen men of Tain.

200k clubDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2

I would like to see at least the ability to promote slaves of your own national culture - for example, as Persia, in Vic1, slavery is leagal (although I can't remember if Persia actually begins with any slaves). If you annex Bukhara and the other steppe nations, the Persians there remain slaves, which always seemed a little strange to me. Wouldn't it make sense to be able release your own people who had been made slaves by someone else?

On a related note, perhaps laborer POPs in slavery nations which were poor enough could be demoted to slaves? This would represent debt bondage, which I suspect was a prime cause of slavery in some parts of the world, at least in Africa.
    Extra! Extra! Read All About It! The Star of New Orleans - A V2 AAR for an Independent Louisiana, told in Newspapers!

CK AAR - The Atheling Chronicle - A King Without A Crown
    Follow the descendants of Edgar Atheling as they seek to regain their throne.

Winner of the WritAAR of the week award, 30/11/2009 | 05/07/2010 ~ Character Writer of the Week 09/05/2010 ~ Favourite CK History Book Q1 2010 | Q2 2010 | Q3 2010

Rebellion! Treachery! War! Marriage! And You! It's all in the Imperium AARlandium Sacrum, a CK succession game with a twist! Read it here.
    Favourite CK Gameplay Q2 2010

My pet peeve with slavery is how it DID NOT demonstrate primitive accumulation of capital properly.

See, slavery was an "annoyance" in V1. You should get rid of it ASAP or you are losing precious cash because of inefficiency. But the game never demonstrated the "advantages" (do not that I am using this word in the most pragmatic of senses here, please) that made slavery last so long.

For the plantation systems south of Ro Bravo, several crops (mostly coffee, cocoa and sugar) had the structural advantage of labour being so damn cheap that a wage system would actually compromise such advantage. Or, in other words, by keeping slaves, countries such as Brazil actually managed a productive gain greater than "free" labourers. In Vicky's timeframe this aspect was quickly declining due to central capitalism and it's goal of breaking previous systems and agricultural modernization, that made Europe capable of exporting food for the first time in it's history. Slavery could only go so far as to provide an "edge" against this rising tide.

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rhion View Post
    I think you misinterpreted Servant's question.
    In that case sorry. I didn't even think about the possiblity of keeping/releasing slaves as in my case it's always strict roleplay. And I don't really pay much attention to POPs except to make sure I've got people to work in factories and the cultures/religions of theirs.
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Quote Originally Posted by telesien View Post
    IIRC King already suggested that slaves will move when their aristocrat will move. So when he will switch provinces, he won't be alone.
    Isn't the idea of aristocrats moving rather far-fatched to begin with? Where they live is where they are on the top of the heap after all. No, I just can't see real life precedents of aristocrats moving from Brazil to the US, taking a throng of slaves with them.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Colon View Post
    Isn't the idea of aristocrats moving rather far-fatched to begin with? Where they live is where they are on the top of the heap after all. No, I just can't see real life precedents of aristocrats moving from Brazil to the US, taking a throng of slaves with them.
    How about aristocrats moving within Brazil?
    Imperium 1.4 (Mod for Victoria II)

Austria: efficient like the Germans, musical like the Italians and refined like the French.

If a POP can move within Brazil then it can also move outside Brazil, unless you're going to write a special rule for it. Besides, the basic question remains: how conceivable is it that an aristocrat would leave his estate behind to migrate elsewhere with his slaves?

No, I just can't see real life precedents of aristocrats moving from Brazil to the US, taking a throng of slaves with them.
    The History Channel had a special documentary about a bunch of Confederate slave-owners moving to Brazil after the Civil War because Brazil promised to keep slavery legal. Not sure if they brought their slaves with them, though, but I wouldn't be surprised. The descendants of these Confederates still live in Brazil today, and the History Channel showed these people holding a party and waving Confederate flags.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The History Channel had a special documentary about a bunch of Confederate slave-owners moving to Brazil after the Civil War because Brazil promised to keep slavery legal. Not sure if they brought their slaves with them, though, but I wouldn't be surprised. The descendants of these Confederates still live in Brazil today, and the History Channel showed these people holding a party and waving Confederate flags.
    That's awesome! Wonder why more didn't go.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast