• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unmerged(182395)

Corporal
Dec 7, 2009
one question: I know slavery is present in vicky 1(with a "slave" pop), but will it be present in vicky 2?
another thing(and this is where I ask you not to shoot me down): will you be able to buy slaves? this is historically accurate, and would be fun gameplay-wise.
:)(but please dont bomb me with angy replies:()

It would make the US Civil War rather meaningless* if slavery did not exist in game, methinks.

(*in the sense that the question was whether or not a state had the right to determine if a human could be the physical property of another human)

It would make the US Civil War rather meaningless* if slavery did not exist in game, methinks.

The south rebelled because they're evil! :mad:

Seriously though. There's no reason there shouldn't be slavery. It's in Vicky, it's in EU, why not here?

EDIT : Selling and buying, rather no. But it would be nice to have the ability to move slaves between provs.

International slave trade was mostly prohibited or being outphased in the beginning of Victoria's timeline. Also, as you as a player have much less control over POPs and the economic market in Victoria 2, and you're playing the nation, it wouldn't make much sense to be able to buy or sell slaves. The only thing coming closest to someone owning slaves in Victoria would be the aristocrats, but I really doubt that they would have need to buy slaves.

Just some political rift raft gameplay ABOUT slavery and all that and have the ability to have it or not. Trading would be a plus i think i mean whats the worst that can happen? a little kid plays and now wants a slave of his own??? :rofl: i dont think so... but anyways why would slavery not be in here because it was a major issue in that time period.

No, slaves will most likely not be a commodity, just as it was not in V1.

But maybe they can "migrate" to provinces with (more) aristocrats and more lucrative farming?

Didnt slaves support alot of economies back then? it feels like leaving that out is just odd. :wacko: Just saying...

In the US, it was illegal to buy slaves during the vicky period (though it was legal to own them until December 16, 1865). Brazil was the only other major slave nation, and i'm not sure if it was illegal to buy them. Nevertheless it is almost certain that buying slaves manually will not be an option.

In the US, it was illegal to buy slaves during the vicky period (though it was legal to own them until December 16, 1865). Brazil was the only other major slave nation, and i'm not sure if it was illegal to buy them. Nevertheless it is almost certain that buying slaves manually will not be an option.

It wasn't illegal to buy them--it was illegal to import them. Completely different things.

Just some political rift raft gameplay ABOUT slavery and all that and have the ability to have it or not. Trading would be a plus i think i mean whats the worst that can happen? a little kid plays and now wants a slave of his own??? :rofl: i dont think so... but anyways why would slavery not be in here because it was a major issue in that time period.

Believe it or not, there are people alive today who will argue quite calmly that slavery is good. I've met some, and it's quite sickening. Anyway, as to the game, I don't really see it as necessary in order to simulate the time period in question. EU indirectly simulates the slave trade by having slaves as a resource in certain colonies, but as others have said, international, organized slave trading was already on its way out when the game begins.

Believe it or not, there are people alive today who will argue quite calmly that slavery is good. I've met some, and it's quite sickening.

I don't suppose they're volunteering their servitude, are they

EDIT : Selling and buying, rather no. But it would be nice to have the ability to move slaves between provs.

Yes, in planned economy. In free market they should follow aristocrat POPs.

I also think we should be able to turn certain POPs into slaves if some conditions are met.

But I don't think Paradox will go for any of above. Fortunately there is still a 'edit save' option :D

Slavery and slave POP's are in Vic2, we've already seen them appear in DD's. They'll probably experience growth like all other POP's, but will only be able to promote once slavery is abolished

I wonder if they're still going to be limited to RGO's though. I always found that to be unrealistic and impractical. There's no reason why forced labour can't be used in factories.

Believe it or not, there are people alive today who will argue quite calmly that slavery is good. I've met some, and it's quite sickening.

It's good as long as you do not consider slaves human beings. I mean, you're getting something for hardly anything!

It's bad because they clearly are.

Ok to ge tthis thread back on track, because if it continues the way it is it will be locked, there is a slave POP, not there is no international slave trade (that is outlawed) and the government does not go into the slave business.

I think in the previous Dev diaries, slavery was a law you can institute, but you, as the government cannot simply buy slaves.

I don't a government ever historically owned true blue slaves as is.

Well they called it something else... Say prison labor though, but that isn't technically slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.