+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Immigration in the British Empire

  1. #41
    Capo Mafia Garra-Ush's Avatar
    Victoria 2

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ushuaia, Argentina
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrelvis View Post
    I didn't say it didn't happen, only that the Land Law made the land distribution in Brazil far worse for potential small landowners than the United States.
    Oh, I must had misunderstood you
    A dedication to Treppe's AAR, Libertad o Muerte!
    The best AAR in this forum , and now with inmigrants

  2. #42
    One thing I found odd is how Muslims would like, immigrate to the US and such.

    I think that technology and landlockness should have some effect on immigrants moving to a place. For example, the chance of an Arab nomad in Arabia somehow sailing to the US should be practically nil. And besides, if he had to leave, he'd most likely flee to another Islamic state, or go to the Ottoman Empire or something. If none of that possible, he'd end up in Greece, or southern Italy, or, uh, something. I doubt he'd be like "God told me in a dream that we must travel to... AMERICA!"
    Wants to write accents (ä, á, å, etc.) like it's natural? Have Windows? Click here.

    “When we received Ribbentrop, of course he toasted Stalin and me—on the whole he was my best friend. (Molotov’s eyes twinkled) Stalin unexpectedly suggested, ‘Let’s drink to the new Anti-Cominternist—Stalin!’ He said this mocking and winked at me. He had made a joke to see Ribbentrop’s reaction. Ribbentrop rushed to phone Berlin and reported ecstatically to Hitler. Hitler replied, ‘My genius minister of foreign affairs!’ Hitler never understood Marxists.”
    (Vyacheslav Molotov, quoted in Molotov Remembers, p. 12.)

    “Just don’t pick Americans, or the first century of your game will consist of ‘flatten neighbours. move slider towards westernization. wait for slider timeout. move slider. pray you get a suitable leader and that the first Europeans to show up can be reasoned with.’” - grommile
    “Seriously. I just wasted most of yesterday getting the Incas to the colonial period, and England came and basically ate me in one gulp.” - Mongoose87

  3. #43
    Capo Mafia Garra-Ush's Avatar
    Victoria 2

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ushuaia, Argentina
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdie View Post
    One thing I found odd is how Muslims would like, immigrate to the US and such.

    I think that technology and landlockness should have some effect on immigrants moving to a place. For example, the chance of an Arab nomad in Arabia somehow sailing to the US should be practically nil. And besides, if he had to leave, he'd most likely flee to another Islamic state, or go to the Ottoman Empire or something. If none of that possible, he'd end up in Greece, or southern Italy, or, uh, something. I doubt he'd be like "God told me in a dream that we must travel to... AMERICA!"
    I don't agree with that of they can't come to America. In Argentina, about 6 million people of 40 million, are of partial muslim ancestry, and I don't know how much the USA have. They were mostly Syrian-Lebanese and also some Turkish.
    A dedication to Treppe's AAR, Libertad o Muerte!
    The best AAR in this forum , and now with inmigrants

  4. #44
    Unless Argentina and Brazil are somehow secretly in the British Empire, I think this thread has gotten too off topic.
    Hey? It's me!

  5. #45
    Justified and Ancient Cinéad IV's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Garra-Ush
    I don't agree with that of they can't come to America. In Argentina, about 6 million people of 40 million, are of partial muslim ancestry, and I don't know how much the USA have. They were mostly Syrian-Lebanese and also some Turkish.
    They aren't quite the same as Bedouins though: Syria was part of the Ottoman Empire whcih was backward, but not (to use the game terminology) 'uncivilised'.

    I think Mrdie is thinking of, for example, Hausa pastoralists in Nigeria, Mongols and Malagasy peasants. These peoples probably shouldn't be emigrating to America, which they don't in Vicky 1 as they are all short ranged. Turks were long ranged, as were Albanians and Bosniaks, which might explain the Muslims-in-USA scenario being described.
    Last edited by Cinéad IV; 11-03-2010 at 15:48.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinéad IV View Post
    I think Mrdie is thinking of, for example, Hausa pastoralists in Nigeria, Mongols and Malagasy peasants. These peoples probably shouldn't be emigrating to America, which they don't in Vicky 1 as they are all short ranged. Turks were long ranged, as were Albanians and Bosniaks, whcih might explai the Muslims-in-USA scenario being described.
    Yes, the former three examples are what I meant. It was just odd to see rather high amounts of Muslims in, say, California.

    As a note, I do know that quite a few Albanians immigrated to the USA, but they were generally Orthodox in faith.
    Wants to write accents (ä, á, å, etc.) like it's natural? Have Windows? Click here.

    “When we received Ribbentrop, of course he toasted Stalin and me—on the whole he was my best friend. (Molotov’s eyes twinkled) Stalin unexpectedly suggested, ‘Let’s drink to the new Anti-Cominternist—Stalin!’ He said this mocking and winked at me. He had made a joke to see Ribbentrop’s reaction. Ribbentrop rushed to phone Berlin and reported ecstatically to Hitler. Hitler replied, ‘My genius minister of foreign affairs!’ Hitler never understood Marxists.”
    (Vyacheslav Molotov, quoted in Molotov Remembers, p. 12.)

    “Just don’t pick Americans, or the first century of your game will consist of ‘flatten neighbours. move slider towards westernization. wait for slider timeout. move slider. pray you get a suitable leader and that the first Europeans to show up can be reasoned with.’” - grommile
    “Seriously. I just wasted most of yesterday getting the Incas to the colonial period, and England came and basically ate me in one gulp.” - Mongoose87

  7. #47
    Capo Mafia Garra-Ush's Avatar
    Victoria 2

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ushuaia, Argentina
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinéad IV View Post
    I think Mrdie is thinking of, for example, Hausa pastoralists in Nigeria, Mongols and Malagasy peasants. These peoples probably shouldn't be emigrating to America, which they don't in Vicky 1 as they are all short ranged. Turks were long ranged, as were Albanians and Bosniaks, which might explain the Muslims-in-USA scenario being described.
    In that case I'm agree.
    A dedication to Treppe's AAR, Libertad o Muerte!
    The best AAR in this forum , and now with inmigrants

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts