• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
August 7: We get Grain trade rights in Mainz, and Iron trade rights in Luxemburg. Liege refuses to give us iron rights. Unfortunately, the rights in Luxemburg won't last long, but you take what you can get. :)

You've turned into a money grabbing merchant already! Excellent update.

One of the downsides of being small. No matter how rich you are, if a large enough nation comes along they can still stomp all over you. Hopefully you can deal with Novgorod.

Well, Novgorod does have less troops in Danzig than the Hansa does, so I'm not sure that constitutes "stomping" ;)

Enewald: Right...they only have a larger fleet, and I can only send 4k regiments at once. No...I have a far more brilliant plan.

Malurous: Yeah, not being able to see it, I have no idea what happened.

Medi: D'oh! You're right - I misread where the tag was. I'll update the post.

Johan11: I think every patch should add a new option.

PrawnStar: :rofl:

Sybot: The goal, then, is to stop being small.

morningSIDEr: Did I mention there is a $1 charge per view on this AAR?

Chapter 7: The Push to Liberate Danzig

March 15, 1413: A single Novgorodian cog is sunk in the Baltic.

April 14: Election time - we keep our current ruler.

May 13: Novgorod is finally pushed out of Danzig. (screenshot got borked, though)

June 25: Novgorod immediately and inexplicably tries to push the Hansa out, and fails.
h6bofdanzig.png

July 24: Novgorod tries again for no apparent reason and loses their army.
h6bofdanzig2.png

August 19: Another army from Novgorod attempts to break the siege of Danzig and fails. They fail again in October, November, December, and January.

January 1, 1414: Zaporozhie declares independence from Genoa in Azow. The vassalization war score is now 88, and Genoa is placed under our bootheel.
h6vassalizegenoa.png

January 23: Crap. And the siege was at 88 percent. But there are two good things:
  • Bohemia is on our side in the war as Emperor.
  • As we have been attacked, our core same-culture provinces get a -5RR National Defense bonus, which will offset some WE.
h6todow.png

h6tows.png

February 1: Bohemia sends 2.98 ducats/month in war subsidies. Polotsk follows on the 5th with 2.37/month.

February 5: Our navy was unable to avoid TO's 15 galleys, and is beaten badly before it can slip back to port. Thankfully, we lose no ships.

February 18: We are forced to give up the siege of Danzig at 100%, with several large armies coming in. We hide in Poland, where TO and Novgorod don't have access.
h6fleedanzig.png

March 14: Novgorod demands Hamburg be released. Hell no.

April 8: Trier joins our league. A quick look at Bohemia makes me wonder where there army is...they have only 1000 men sitting in Bohemia, and they have 24K more men.

July 23: The TO tries to invade Bohemia, but we stop them for our allies. The invading army is wiped out a month later in Neumark.
h6bofneumark.png

August 22: Hungary offers white peace. We accept. That's probably where Bohemia went first.

October 4: 10 Teutonic regiments besiege Lubeck, and our army is badly beaten trying to kick them out. The +1.41 WE doesn't help either.
h6boflubeck.png

November 1: The Netherlands break free from Brabant.

December 1: The first Bohemian army appears in Warmia.

February 16, 1415: In our second attempt to dislodge the Teutons from Lubeck, Bohemia shows up and routs them, saving us from a horrific defeat. The combined armies chase the Teutonic army around, weakening it.
h6boflubeck2.png

April 14: Bohemia continues their subsidies (2.95 ducats/mo)

April 28: The Teuton army is finally wiped out in Mecklenburg.
h6bofmeck.png

August 20: The Teutons ask for white peace. We say no, hoping to keep National Defense around long enough to retake Danzig.

November 18: Bohemia has taken Warmia, but the Teutons somehow get around them to kick us out of Danzig.

January 1, 1416: Our WE is now 16.09.

May 15: Every time we take care of one army, another one shows up to keep us from retaking Danzing, so we sue for peace. Novgorod finally agrees to peace for a one-time payment of 150 ducats. The TO accepts a white peace the next month, bringing peace to the shattered Hanseatic lands.
h6towp.png

Last edited:
I think every patch should add a new option.

Nah, then the added options wouldn't feel special and you wouldn't cherish each of them like is the case now.

nice summary on mercantilism/free trade :D
however , if you don't start in europe and/or don't want to westernize or don't want to spread/have ugly borders you lose most of mercantile's bonus ^^

Things were a bit tight there. It's good that you could peace out with relatively little trouble.

January 1, 1414: Zaporozhie declares independence from Genoa in Kaffa.

Actually Azow, I presume? Anyway, it's cool to take care of Genoa.

Having trouble spelling Nov-go-rod, eh?

Malurous and Vladislav: This is what happens when I do updates before fully waking up, while my vassals (kids) are pestering me. :D Fixed.

Over in the modding forum, I inquired if anyone had created any advanced Merchant Republic government types.

That inquiry was met with deafening silence.

Should I create a couple, and mod them into the existing events?

Over in the modding forum, I inquired if anyone had created any advanced Merchant Republic government types.

That inquiry was met with deafening silence.

Should I create a couple, and mod them into the existing events?

There'll be no need for advanced governments when you have conquered the world in the hunt for CoT's! Cause thats what you will do, right? :D

morningSIDEr: Did I mention there is a $1 charge per view on this AAR?

*gladly hands over £1* - You can convert it yourself! Nice update, things look tense should anyone else declare war.

Malurous and Vladislav: This is what happens when I do updates before fully waking up, while my vassals (kids) are pestering me. :D Fixed.

I'm impressed. Waking up, updating an AAR and keeping your kids occupied at the same time. Right now I feel my multitasking potential stretched by wathing Midsomer Murders, reading the forum and keeping a milk bottle warm. :cool:

Great update. Well the war could have gone worse. I imagine you'll get the 150 ducats back quickly.

Chapter 8: The second Hanseatic-Teutonic War

July 25, 1416: Austria gets excommunicated. This reminds us to throw a gift at the pope: getting excommunicated would be disastrous for us, since it crushes our relations with all our league members.

September 2: The Teutonic Order guarantees our Independence. They're so thoughtful!
h7toguarantee.png

October 16: A trade station is opened in Danzig.

December 1: Our fearless leader passes away, so an election is held. We pick the diplomatic candidate. Apparently, we were very literal.
h7otto.png

January 23, 1417: The Mamluks go over the infamy limit.

April 8: We cancel our mission, and get the Swedish Steel mission, requiring Iron trade rights in Sweden again. That takes 2 days, and our next mission is a Naval Race against the Teutonic Order. No thanks...
h7swedishsteel.png

May 18: Peasants rise up in Lubeck to be crushed. Or not.
h7boflubeck.png

August 8: The peasants are kicked out of Lubeck.

March 7, 1418: Burgundy declares war on the Netherlands and annexes them.

July 16: We score a coup: Cloth Trade Rights with Milan.
h7milancloth.png

August 1: Burgundy declares war on and eats Liege. With no French cores anymore, Burgundy is a real problem.

October 6: Alsace joins the Genoan Trade League.

October 9: Slider move to Free Subjects makes us look weak. Bring it on...

October 17: Alsace leaves the Genoan Trade League. Hrm...

February 10, 1419: Alsace joins the Genoan Trade League.

February 19: Alsace leaves the Genoan Trade League. This becomes a recurring theme...for years.

March 22: Bastards! Right after we get relations with Polotsk to 181...she joins the Novgorod Trade League. This is a common problem with folks on our borders.

August 4: Savoy forces Venice to end the vassalization of Naxos. This bears watching...

October 1: Ferdinand I of Bohemia becomes Emperor.

December 1, 1420: We secure Wine trade rights with Alsace. This makes the continual fight to get Alsace in a trade league even funnier.

In other news, we have another election. Hoping to get a Diplo leader that can do other things, we do not return Otto to the position of Statholter.
h7alexander.png

Hrm. At least he's a 4 shock general...

March 10, 1421: We learn that we have somehow lowered relations with the Pope, as those Teutonic bastards get us Excommunicated. Don't think we'll forget this.
h7excommunicated.png

Holland immediately leaves the Hanseatic league, and begins trading in Antwerpen.

June 6: Bohemia gets in a war with Poland and Austria. This is a problem, since they're who we need to save us from the Teutons.

November 9: Instead of declaring war against us, the Order declares war against Mecklenburg. Maybe their diplomat got tired of walking and just decided to declare war on wherever he was?
h7todowmeck.png

The TO ends up at war with Wurttemburg, Pommerania, Bohemia, Munster, Hesse, and Mecklenburg.

January 1, 1422: After the Teuton armies have passed by and gone marauding Pommerania, we declare war on the Order to reclaim Warmia.
h7dowto.png

January 29: Merchant Fractures event - we go 1 step Mercantilistic for free.

March 1: Nobles demand recompensation. We lose 1 stability telling them where to shove it. In the war, our 11 regiments (3/8) are ready to kick the 8 regiments of the Teutonic army out of Warmia.

March 8: Having been kicked like a red-headed stepchild by Bohemia, Poland institutes Liberum Veto.

April 5: The Teutons attack is Danzig, stupidly. Pommerania becomes a vassal of Brandenburg.
h7bofdanzig.png

April 11: The Teutons besiege Lubeck.

May 1: A victory in Warmia opens the door for us to run down the Teutonic army. The Teutons are defeated in Ostpreussen on the 25th, Memel on June 18, and wiped out in Samogitia on July 1. We begin besieging Ostpreussen, Memel, and Samogitia, as the Teuton army in Samogitia has been wiped by our allies.

December 18: Our great general-Statholder dies in Memel, and we elect another diplomatic candidate. This has an advantage: we lose Excommunication.
h7hagan.png

December 20: New mission: Bring England into the Fold. This will be hard.

August 8, 1423: Merchant Fractures again, lets us maximize Mercantilism. In bad news, Bohemia has occupied Warmia.

October 1: Stability returns to +3. We're at 9.96 WE.

December 9: White Peace between Bohemia and the TO. We rush to retake Warmia.

January 7, 1424: The first HRE reform, Reichsreform is proposed. We vote against, but it passes.

June 17: As Warmia falls, we force the Order to cede all their Prussian lands except Ostpreussen (their capital). They are also forced back into the Hanseatic League.
h7topeace.png

The world after the Second Hanseatic-Teutonic War

Good opportunistic war. TO seems to be going down, so maybe you'll get a chance to add Ostpreussen to the collection. But who knows.

Unfortunate excommunication, but you seem to have come out of it relatively intact - did anyone else, besides Holland, leave the League?

Good opportunistic war. TO seems to be going down, so maybe you'll get a chance to add Ostpreussen to the collection. But who knows.

Unfortunate excommunication, but you seem to have come out of it relatively intact - did anyone else, besides Holland, leave the League?

Not yet. Excommunication is a bitch - and my leader died before I could try and get it removed. ALWAYS try to get Excommunication removed rather than go away by leader death - it will restore the -50 relations hit you took getting excommunication.