• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Peace! It seems much easier that way.

Why would it take 2 wars? You only have to control those two provinces.

Even so, peace is probably better, just because you can get that nasty bonus way sooner.

Also, don't worry too much about losing Scandinavia from the league. They'll trade though Lubeck anyway :p

If you could get them back into the league quickly enough after the war, you should go with war. If not go with peace. You should also likely take on the various smaller nations around you and bring them down. You should start with Holstein and then target Mecklenburg.

Last edited:
If you could get them back into the league quickly enough after the war, you should go with war. If not go with peace. You should also likely take on the various smaller nations around you and bring them down. You should start with Hamburg and then target Mecklenburg.

But isn't it smarter (from an economic perspective and taking Infamy into account) to gobble up more of the German minors than take poorer, wrong-culture provinces from the Danes at such an early stage?

Excellent posts as ever. I won't hazard any vote as my own knowledge of the trade mechanics in this game is minimal at best, hence why I am greatly looking forward to the rest of this AAR.

Last edited:
But isn't it smarter (from an economic perspective and taking Infamy into account) to gobble up more of the German minors than take poorer, wrong-culture provinces from the Danes at such an early stage?

It would be more profitable to do so, but also take into account the fact that Denmark can become a serious threat to the northern german nations if not taken down quickly. If they manage to keep Norway, Sweden, or both in the personal union, they may come knocking on your door just when you do not want them to. Therefore, you should nip that threat in the bud. That is why I always make Denmark one of my first targets when I play as a state in Northern Germany, such as Mecklenburg in In Nomine (the only Northern state I ever play as). You can also find some German nation that is allied to or guaranteed by Denmark to declare war on. That would keep Norway and Sweden out the minor you declared war on as well as Denmark could easily be brought back into the fold.

Why would it take 2 wars? You only have to control those two provinces.

Even so, peace is probably better, just because you can get that nasty bonus way sooner.

Also, don't worry too much about losing Scandinavia from the league. They'll trade though Lubeck anyway :p

Because, He cant turboannex them.

Whoops, Malurous is right: The war option of the mission requires you to only control Sjelland, Denmark's capital. Getting the Sound Toll modifier requires at least two wars, since you have to own Jylland, Fyn, Sjelland, and Skane, with me taking a LOT of infamy in the first war if there is no CB. Beating Denmark is a cakewalk, since I can just choke off the straits, however, Norway and Sweden may join in, and that could take all of Scandanavia out of my league. Sweden is close enough to Novrogrod that she may well join her league, which would seriously suck.

Since HTTT has introduced the newly revamped Merchant Republic, and it's fun to try something different, I'm going to play a Trade game with the Hansa.

Other than possibly Novgord, probably the easiest one to play; being able to form Germany is a nice plus too. Also in case you're wondering, you can form Germany and still remain a Merchant Republic, just make sure you take the Thalassocracy decision first if you want it.

CoTs (If a nation builds a CoT in their capital, I will take all provinces, destroy the CoT, and release vassals.)

When I played Hansa, I kept Liguria/Novgord/Venice. I RPed it as my traders realizing the value in a pre-existing market, and not wanting to waste the ducats to duplicate effort. I actually vassalized an OPM Genoa, but annexed the others (I wanted a Merchant Republic to join in case I later swapped government types).

2.) Have the largest trade league possible.

Good luck with that, when I tried my hand at Hansa, even my vassals with +200 relations would leave my trade league for no apparent reason. That is why I kept Genoa around, so after I formed Germany I could swap to another government type but still keep those awesome Trade Stations.

edit: I posted that after reading the first post, but hadn't read anymore. Seeing as how you've already started the game, most of what I said has already been posted by others.

Other than possibly Novgord, probably the easiest one to play; being able to form Germany is a nice plus too. Also in case you're wondering, you can form Germany and still remain a Merchant Republic, just make sure you take the Thalassocracy decision first if you want it.

Yeah, Venice and Genoa start with rather poor colonies that tend to draw them into wars near other poor lands.

Thalassocracy would be great, if it weren't for the -1% Land Tradition modifier.

Good luck with that, when I tried my hand at Hansa, even my vassals with +200 relations would leave my trade league for no apparent reason. That is why I kept Genoa around, so after I formed Germany I could swap to another government type but still keep those awesome Trade Stations.

In my (admittedly short) experience, if you have a league CoT close by, they are much less likely to leave the league. We shall soon learn.

Trade stations are kinda funny with the -1 RR. IRL, kontors seriously pissed off English merchants, as well as other local merchants who felt that they were being muscled out by the Hansa.

I vote peace. :)

If this is a republic, can I refuse to vote?;)

Force is more profitable in the long run.

You'd be invading outside the HRE so once you become Emperor you could cash some cheap autorithy and prestige by adding those territories to the Empire.

Also, what other targets with a CB do you have (nearby)? The opportunity cost is rather small...