• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really like your take on the Hansa - it's an instructive and agreeable AAR you've got running here. So agreeable, in fact, that it is the reason you are nominated WritAAR of the Week. Congratulations! :)

Congrats naggy! Well deserved.

Selmuth: The minors haven't been excommunicated, and seeing as I'm always high BB, I never get the papacy. Heh. As for the Americas, I want same culture/religion provinces. Can't get that without taking the whole thing.

JDMS: After reading some stuff on the forums, my plan is to convert as soon as the reformation hits and take Deus Vult. After 12 years (or next NI slot), I'll switch to Ecumenism and up my tolerance over 0 for heretics. That should resolve the problems with taxes.

Enewald/Johan11: You don't have to like me, you just have to trade with me. :)

Lordban, Malurous: Thank you very much!

And to anyone interested in Multiplayer, I'm starting a Learning AAR for the Saturday Night Showdown, where I'm playing Sweden.

Definitely congrats on being WritAAR of the Week! I'm totally enjoying your tale! :D

Delighted to see this updated once more. Many congratulations on the writer of the week award, very much deserved. Very good update!

just wanted to post a congrats on the writer of the week, well deserved , very enjoyable AAR

After reading some stuff on the forums, my plan is to convert as soon as the reformation hits and take Deus Vult. After 12 years (or next NI slot), I'll switch to Ecumenism and up my tolerance over 0 for heretics. That should resolve the problems with taxes.

And to anyone interested in Multiplayer, I'm starting a Learning AAR for the Saturday Night Showdown, where I'm playing Sweden.
I thought I saw you mention that 12 year number
in a Reformation thread on the main forum not too long ago. I've never actually reformed in any of my games & am planning to do just that in my current Holland game. So at the expense of perhaps asking a really nooby question; what exactly is the significance of the 12 years?

So it's time for The Hansa to buckle down ride out the Reformation & concentrate on the economy. I presume the next leader of The Hansa is going to run on the platform "It's about the economy stupid"?

As for your new Multiplayer AAR..

Just wonderful...
As if I don't waste enough time following your AAR's... :p

Congrats on being named Writer of The Week!! Well deserved...

So at the expense of perhaps asking a really nooby question; what exactly is the significance of the 12 years?

The MTTH for the spread of Protestantism and Reformed is 800 months. Several of the modifiers to the MTTH are based on how many years have elapsed since the religions were enabled. Essentially, the base MTTH is:
450 for 0-6 years
600 for 6-12
1120 for 12-20 years
1568 for 20-30 years
2195.2 for 30-40 years
3073.3 for 40-50 years
6146.6 for 50-75 years
24586.3 for 75+ years

If I switch to protestantism immediately (25% faster) and take Deus Vult (20% faster), I'll probably get one quick conversion, which then lowers the chance for neighbors by 64% (borders protestant/same culture group). That lowers the MTTH for provinces bordering my first religion flipping province from 450 to 97 months, or essentially nearly an even chance in the first 6 years, and another about 1 in 4 chance in the next 6. Not bad odds - lots of free province flips that way. Deus Vult also slows down my chances to flip to reformed, as does waiting 12 years before taking ecumenism.

Wouldn't taking Ecumenism first be better, to avoid the religous civil war events?

Granted, I'm playing a roughly 40 province Brandenburg (1478 now) and I was planning to take Ecumenism as my lvl. 11 idea and Divine Supremacy as the fourth one.

The tricky part is that I am Emperor and I would like to remain so for as long as possible (I am hoping that at least three electors convert early on).

Wouldn't taking Ecumenism first be better, to avoid the religous civil war events?

If Reformed's tolerance goes above 0, it increases the chance my provinces may flip to reformed. Deus Vult increases the chance my provinces flip to Protestant. Also, I can't afford to flip 2 ideas, and may not get a new idea slot in that period.

If I plan to convert with a relative stable empire, I let the reformation happen let provinces flip untill I get the religous war modifier. Then I choose the countereformation and start converting back until I lose the modifer.
In fact, if my country is up to it, I tend to do that even if I stay catholic. The point is, that you can only have one religous war, so even though you later choose to convert to protestantism without having a single province of that religion, you wont get the modifier.

I had meant to post an update last week, or this weekend, but real life brutally suppressed that plan. Instead, I'll answer feedback.

blsteen, Marco Oliverio, morningSIDEr, vonhapsburg, Lysander13: Thank you!

Selmuth: I don't think I'm narrowminded enough to pull that off. Conversions take forever in the beta patch, since they halved the chances.

Looking forward to the update whenever it comes, naggy!

If I plan to convert with a relative stable empire, I let the reformation happen let provinces flip untill I get the religous war modifier. Then I choose the countereformation and start converting back until I lose the modifer.

With the Religious Zeal province modifier, you're in deep trouble for a couple of decades with this approach. By the time you can start converting, you might have a huge load of heretic provinces.

I sometimes did this in IN, though, because getting rid of Religious Turmoil is useful and permanent...

With the Religious Zeal province modifier, you're in deep trouble for a couple of decades with this approach. By the time you can start converting, you might have a huge load of heretic provinces.

I sometimes did this in IN, though, because getting rid of Religious Turmoil is useful and permanent...

Hmm.. that could prove problematic. I see two solutions. Release non-catholic provinces as OPM vassals (later to be forced religion, and then annexed) or conquer some catholic provinces outside the HRE.
Anyway, the "one faith" event has only a MTTH of 2 month, so you should only consider ecumenism if you see one of the heretic religions expand to 10% of your provinces.

Question for Naggy: Do you plan to "confirm thalassocracy". It seem like it would fit a colonizing Hansa, despite the horrible land tradition mallus. The colonist bonus will really help though, especially if you convert to protestantism.

Code:
	confirm_thalassocracy = {
		potential = {
			OR = {
				tag = VEN
				tag = GEN
				tag = HSA
			}
			government = merchant_republic
			not = { 
				has_country_modifier = thalassocracy
			}