• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
postfux, the command-chain system you want is totally different from hoi2/aod's in fact its hoi3's. it sounds nice in theory for sure but from a gameplay pov it's only a headache to micromanage that much. i think that tinkering with leaders for literally hours gives nothing to the game experience [quite the opposite].
i suggest you try hoi3 barbarossa with soviets and assign leaders manually to all five levels, and try to keep them in optimal positions / formations only for a game year. i bet you won't enjoy that :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
i suggest you try hoi3 barbarossa with soviets and assign leaders manually to all five levels, and try to keep them in optimal positions / formations only for a game year. i bet you won't enjoy that :)

If there is a decent Interface you might loose the bet. I very much enjoy wasting hours appointing and firing Generals. ;)

So HOI3 has what I want :happy:!

How is HOI3 vs AoD overall?

well to explain that in details would be strongly off-topic in a thread called 'list of wishes for aod'.
there is a reason tough, why i play aod more often than hoi3. hoi3 is a better 'simulation' but as a 'computer game' imo it gets overcomplicated in greatly uninteresting areas [like the command system].
its really about personal taste so you better try it. i suggest only play with all 3 expansions tough as it is a much better experience than the original release was. The full bundle was on steam in the holiday sale for less than 16E...

when you get amphibassaulted there is no info from which seazone the attack is coming, makes it hard to to kill the enemy transports. So instead of showing "(embarked)" as attack direction, showing the seazone in the combat screen would be great

• 4Like
Reactions:
+1 for all list of wishes above and..

1. Naval battles should be more decisive.
2. AI Japan should concentrate on pacific islands. So as USA.
3. AI USA should be more active on amphibic assaults.
4. AI British navy should be more active in mediterranean: when i play as italy, mediterranean sea is a heaven for regia marina. Italian navy should feel like they're in hell even if they docked to their ports.

The lack of decisive Naval battles has totally ruined the game imho. It's sad.......

Is there a possibility for a manpower overhaul in the future? This is my wish.

Would you consider overhauling the manpower distribution according to the country populations of 1936 in this update?

I compared some of the historical country populations of the year 1936 with manpower/population in several HoI games alongside with AoD. Result is here:
IJGmDqh.png

AoD and HoI3 uses similar values although there are few differences. Many of the manpower values are different than historical populations. For example in AoD;
- France (colonies excluded) has 59 base manpower while having 42 million population in 1936
- Germany has 61 base manpower while having 67 million population in 1936
- China (borders of 1975) & Taiwan has 241 base manpower while having ~508-560 million population in 1936

DH and HoI4 uses mostly historical population values with few exceptions;
- France has 42 manpower
- Germany has 66-67 manpower
- China & Taiwan ~494-516 manpower

I can do the research for this overhaul if you decide to include in the update.

Edit: I checked some of the countries in Core mod and found out that Core mod also uses real historical population data. So, the manpower data seems already exists.

Personal wish:
I would be happy to be added to the AoD credit list because i saw today that AoD took some of HoI II DH TRP Mod work into the Steam version.
So could someone of the AoD team tell me where they got the pics from? Thx.

To be sure:
I dont want AoD to delete the pics but i would be happy for credits because i have invested a lot of time into TRP for DH. Think u have done same with AoD.

Thank you very much, Lord Rommel, TRP Dev.

Last edited:
I havent checked all pics but here are some pics after 5min file checking + the fact that there are U00 pictures.
U00 is the Kwantung army - a new faction/nation only available by TRP.

Like i said; AoD shouldnt delete it but i think we are such a small community that it would be cool be get in dialog with each other to help any project here at the board.

Attached files: b/w AoD files, color my trp work.

Attachments

• aod trp zufälle.jpg
    aod trp zufälle.jpg
    151,8 KB · Views: 0
  • aod trp zufälle2.jpg
    aod trp zufälle2.jpg
    130,1 KB · Views: 0
  • aod trp zufälle3.jpg
    aod trp zufälle3.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I havent checked all pics but here are some pics after 5min file checking + the fact that there are U00 pictures.
U00 is the Kwantung army - a new faction/nation only available by TRP.

Like i said; AoD shouldnt delete it but i think we are such a small community that it would be cool be get in dialog with each other to help any project here at the board.
Wow, I don't saw these pics in color! I wish, you succeed (I don't know how to write it correctly)! As for me: I don't like two pic in the game: Washington - I think this is from HOI3 but I'm not sure. Also many countres use soviet garnison model pic.

Attached files: b/w AoD files, color my trp work.

first one from you first picture: \gfx\interface\models\gfx\interface\models\Ill_div_sov_2_1.bmp
second one from you first picture: \gfx\interface\models\gfx\interface\models\Ill_div_9_1.bmp.
third one from you first picture: \gfx\interface\models\gfx\interface\models\Ill_div_5_9.bmp.
first one from you second picture: \gfx\interface\models\gfx\interface\models\Ill_div_ger_1_3.bmp
second one from you second picture: \gfx\interface\models\gfx\interface\models\Ill_div_ger_1_8.bmp
third one from you second picture: \gfx\interface\models\gfx\interface\models\Ill_div_ger_11_0.bmp
first one from you third picture: \gfx\interface\models\gfx\interface\models\Ill_div_jap_1_8.bmp
second one from you third picture: \gfx\interface\models\gfx\interface\models\Ill_div_jap_2_8.bmp
second one from you third picture: \gfx\interface\models\gfx\interface\models\Ill_div_jap_7_4.bmp

They are all dated 2009. So most likely none of those 9 were added recently. Some of them may even stem of Armageddon.

Finding all of them within about 35000 files in the gfx-folder could of course become rather tedious.

First i thought it is coincidence.
I started with HoI II modding in 2010. My first pictures were added to TRP in 2011. I bought AoD first in 2012 and on steam in sale (can i see the time stamp on steam somewhere?). I have checked my hard drives. Most of the pictures were downloaded/stored on my hard drives between 2012 and 2016.
But on the other side there are the U00 files. They are TRP files because like i said no other mod used the Kwantung Army concept for the japanese AI.
So when i saw the U00 files i started to check the gfx files. I have checked the linked pics and they are the same. When u turn the colored pics with photoshop into b/w pics they are exactly the same. So that is the reason why i thought they were done by me.
It is quiet confusing :(

So sry for the stress but i'm somewhat "careful" because of some frustrating experience with an other game i was involved in with modding.
But somehow it is a fascinating mystery to me. So thx for any help here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
we are trying to track down what happened, but we are very thankful for your hard work and
First i thought it is coincidence.
I started with HoI II modding in 2010. My first pictures were added to TRP in 2011. I bought AoD first in 2012 and on steam in sale (can i see the time stamp on steam somewhere?). I have checked my hard drives. Most of the pictures were downloaded/stored on my hard drives between 2012 and 2016.
But on the other side there are the U00 files. They are TRP files because like i said no other mod used the Kwantung Army concept for the japanese AI.
So when i saw the U00 files i started to check the gfx files. I have checked the linked pics and they are the same. When u turn the colored pics with photoshop into b/w pics they are exactly the same. So that is the reason why i thought they were done by me.
It is quiet confusing :(

So sry for the stress but i'm somewhat "careful" because of some frustrating experience with an other game i was involved in with modding.
But somehow it is a fascinating mystery to me. So thx for any help here.
yes, we have had the same experiences, never fun when someone takes your work and does not credit you for it even if we are more than happy to share it with them even free of charge, thank you so much for your understanding!

your work is amazing! and i would love to use some of them for AOD but you deserve to be asked first :)

Above all else, please PLEASE return this excellent game with reasonable Naval battle results.
I don't have time to read 58 pages so what is unreasonable now? There is a bug that has an air force detect/attack enemy fleets in an area, but your surface fleet located there does not. Most annoying, and still not fixed.

If you are referring to when a large German sub fleet could show up and decimate a large allied surface fleet -- that was never realistic to begin with. Even if they sink a couple capital ships, the subs would be the decimated ones, which is what happens in unmodded Darkest Hour (not that I recommend that overly-complex offshoot).

Last edited:
First, Let me preface this with expressing the appreciation I have for the game! Other than that time-wasting M$ Hearts, no game have I played for so many years as this one!

OK. Here we go:

1. Improved AI:

a. Better, rather than spammed, AI unit builds.

b. Germany should either build a massive sub fleet or use the historical fleet better, no more 2BB, 2 BC IV, 2 BC I, 3 CA and old screens. This goes for all AI Navy! AI Navy organization must be improved! Either that, or change game dynamics to allow for all capital ships to close to their individual firing ranges during the battle, per their leader's skill rating! Maybe not BB's, etc closing if they are in a CV fleet, but SAG fleets should all close to optimum firing ranges, ship-to-ship. This is probably not doable, as the game only gives a single firing distance rating...so have SAG fleets arranged so that the majority of the cap ships can close to 90% of the longest ship's range. In other words, to where they can all fire. For example, brigaded CA IV's can probably fire at a similar range to unbrigaded BB II/III's or Partially-brigaded BC III's, etc. If that level of sophistication isn't doable, then the AI should just organize its smaller fleets better, esp since super-large fleets are (justifyably) penalized in AoD! Bottom line: Navies can be organized better! It's crazy to see UK with 1 CV, 3 BB, 1 CVL, 2 BC, 2 CA + old screens, or Germany with their entire historical build fleet all together, instead of broken up and convoy-raiding. Sitting ducks!

c. UK AI should move troops into France at the outbreak of Poland invasion. France chould have a better-planned attack through the Maginot line. The Italian campaign in Ethiopa should trigger the UK to move some L. A. and MOT's to N. Africa (If they are already, how about more?)

d. Amphibious landings by the AI (Improved though they are with later patches) should be in greater force, or where quick opportunity for achievement exists. No more landing 1-2 INF divisions where they are easily defeated!

e. USA needs to island-hop vs Japan. If Japan would agressively defend it's island conquests, and organize it's Navy better, that could be quite a contest (Although Japan probably has the better-playing AI, up until they liberate C-N and then abandon them to chase wild geese in AUS!).

This particular subject's list could go on, as I'm sure I'm missing things I've thought of & forgotten, but this would be a great start, IMHO!;)

2. More realistic and historically accurate unit builds and brigade combinations. The idea that all one has to do is build armor units with SP Art and Inf with Art is a major flaw of all HOI II games. There should be a penalty for corps of all ARM/SP Art or Inf/Art. Corps made up of Armored divisions only should be especially vulnerable to air attacks or dug-in infantry -- they should be creamed if attacking the latter (Actually, maybe they are now, since I never use them that way!) How about a bonus for a corps of 3 Inf with 1 Eng, 1 Art or SP Art, and 1 AT? Maybe a stack of 6 with added 1Art and 2 AA? That should be infinitely more effective vs 6-9 Inf/Art attacks, or even defenses! Bonus mixed brigaded units, and penalize stacks with the same brigades. Even better would be to allow Inf units to have more than 1 brigade! In any event, a stack of 1 ARM/Eng + 1 ARM/SP Art + 1 MOT/AC should be much more effective than all with SP Art. AND - this stack should be clobbered by an enemy CAS attack, forcing the defending player to think about adding AA!

3. More penalties for insufficient HQ units. I often go to war with just the 2 HQ units as Germany in my first year, and only 3 for Barbarossa! I should get my fanny tanned for that! My units should suffer from lower org and malnutrition, although I believe there is some of that built-in now...?

4. More revolts in conquered higher-risk enemy provinces, esp vs Germany. France should see several. In Russia, while there is a TC load vs dissent risk, this could be enhanced, and/or some more revolts should happen. If 20 provinces have ~ 25% revolt risk, 4-5 should have partisan groups springing up. Some historians say that Germany lost vs USSR in no small measure due to the Partisans! This would force the German human player to build more GAR or 2xMIL or MIL/ac units just to keep up. This alone would greatly increase difficulty, and historical accuracy, in the Barbarossa campaign.

5. Assuming Barbarossa goes particularly poorly for AI Germany, then, if the USA/Allies conquer Germany "Too early" (1942-43-early 44), then Stalin should counter-attack the Human-controlled Allies ASAP, esp before the West gets nukes. This could force the Allied human player to decide whether or not they will lend-lease to the USSR. Naturally, failing to help them should have serious consequences, should Stalin win in E. Europe... This is a Grand Strategy wargame. The Comintern loses if they can't defeat the Allies! If the USSR AI faces anything substantially different from the historical outcome (Meaning a mid '45 victory + large Allied force in Europe + spies informing of the USA's closeness to an Atom Bomb) then the Comintern should attack. Come to think of it, this should be the case even if the USSR has BP, and waits til it succeeds with it's counter-attack starting 18+ months later. And while I'm on this, Why does the German AI virtually abandon the Eastern Front post BP, and not at least go off on the UK or USA? They have 18 months! If they "decide" to try to hold their victory margin, then the AI should fortify in the East and research Nukes and rockets!

6. As for the Bitter Peace. It can be changed to trigger after the Axis takes Arkhangelsk, Leningrad, Moscow, Stalingrad, Astrakhan. Possibly allow for Baku to substitute for Arkhangelsk? Vladivostok could sub for either Arkhangelsk or Baku. The post BP line should be from Arkhangelsk to Astrakhan, following along the rivers as much as possible, as that was the original plan. Yes, ok, taking Sverdlovsk could substitute for Arkhangelsk, or Baku/Vladivostok, but Sverdlovsk shouldn't be required! This could make up for the higher revolt risk demand, and seems more in line historically.

7. Over time at least, INT's should become almost useless vs equivalent-year MRF's. Force human players of Germany and USSR to build both, as was done historically. AI Japan, USA, and even UK can exist with just MRF.

8. Strategic rockets are too strong for Str bombing. They were quite troublesome to civilian losses for democracies, but not very effective for the war's outcome, correct? Their per-strike value should be reduced against Infra in enemy-controlled provinces, and (as it is now) very ineffective in damaging enemy units. Their greatest value should be in advancing to where they can carry atom bombs. Alternatively, if a player (Germany) builds 100 or so V2's then their cumulative effect to the enemy could be devastating. And while we're fixing that, the infra rebuild and even IC rebuild rates after being damaged are too rapid!

EDIT: Strategic Rocket attacks should instead increase dissent, vs increased Strategic Damage. That would be a good trade-off.

9. PAR's that get loaded onto TRA's should not be allowed brigades, except possibly engineers. Even so, their ability to carry river-crossing equipment should be limited. If a PAR has any other brigade attached, they should not be allowed to load.

10. While we're talking Engineers, how about adding a flamethrower brigade? Since in this game ENG's are mostly for river crossings and defensive boosts(?). offensive engineers would be cool!

11. Consider bigger bonuses to Armored Cars. Ther were the ground unit's scouts. An infantry or armored unit galloping forward without either AC's or fighter cover on Air Superiority missions (since there is no "Recon" mission, which would be nice) should be subject to bad ambush penalties! Or.....how 'bout a scout plane brigade option on ground units?

12. While the (excellent) addition of Float planes to Navy brigades are a great substitute for Light Carriers, consider splitting up CVL's into CVE's and CVL's. The former would function as the current CVL does, i.e., great vs subs. Yes, I realize that ASW and float planes help immensly here. The CVL's would be for increased detection of enemy fleets, and would exceed the SP' s ability. This could be done without penalizing the SAG by having the CVL's firing range deter the SAG from closing to the usual 90% of the largest Conventional capship's range. IIRC, this was how it was in HOI II/DD-Arm, no?

13. If the German player wants to build a super SS fleet (as per Adm. Donitz's plan) fine, but:

A. Have this fleet be MUCH more effective at convoy-raiding, esp in '39-'41! convoy raiding results now are too weak.

B. If the player wants to use massed SS attacks vs CTF's and SAG's, fine -- but the SS's should suffer substantial casualties as well -- maybe around 1-1 for cap ships lost. That's still not bad, given the cost of SS vs CV/BB, etc. This certainly can be adjusted by Cryptography research levels.

14. Airforce attacks vs fleets in harbors are too powerful. The idea that a Gernman player can use 1939 TAC's and CAS's over 2-3 weeks to destroy 30, 40, 50+ UK ships in harbor can't be historically accurate. Even if they lack air cover or adequate air defenses (which would be a blunder on their part, certainly) , after a day or so the fleet would set sail and take their chances, and each subsequent attack would be less effective and cost more in strength loss, right -- at least more than it does now?

14. Conversly, CV attacks vs port fleets are too weak. As long as the player has Base Strike researched, and is attacking in daylight hours (which must be adjusted manually, not just by picking "Day" in the orders box, sadly), These attacks should initially at least, cause some more damage. The Org drain alone is enough compensation.

15. It seems that weather should have more of an impact on combat attacks. I often forget to check weather, except in winter.

Also,

Please fix the CTD bug if ordering Artillery bombardment with over-commanded units. This is about 2 years old now, No?

Please fix the bug where, if your airforce starts bombing an enemy fleet first, then your friendly Navy, when moved in to the same province, will not engage!

Missing from here are requests for a more detailed map, or a map with multiple features shown (Like terrain + weather at the same time on the basic map). These would be great, but are found in some mods. Also, I have no modding savvy, so that's why I'm posting all this.

I find this game still much more enjoyable than overly complex, and minutiae-detailed games like Darkest Hour, whose boards lack anyone giving a player like me a good starting tutorial (like Bosman has done here, or Conanteacher did with Iron Cross). Still, as fun as it has been, some of these issues are glowing nowadays, like the various Navy issues or spamming AI units vs better AI play.

Thanks for reading!!!

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Some really good suggestions MJF! The AI's main deficiency is how it handles combat. Improving this alone would be tremendous, or at least giving soft coders the chance to edit how the AI handles combat would indeed go a very long way.

Also, I'd like to see the Hill Fighter, Mountaineer and Jungle Rat commander traits fixed, as they currently don't offer any combat or movement bonuses!

• 1Like
Reactions:
i consider the ai improvements as a lost cause, pang is sitting on his arse on it, he does not even acknowledge there is any issues or problems with his ai, when even the basic comparison with anyone elses ai's will show 50%+ improvements

Reactions:
In all honesty, it's hard code changes that would make this amazing game even greater. Enabling soft coders greater control over editing how the AI handles combat would push this game forward tremendously.

However, in all honesty, this would have little impact on me as I tend to just play online! So the fixes regarding leader traits, artillery bombardment (blimey was that an issue this game), ship detection when the air fleet already have spotted enemy units, and bringing back the (option at least) loss of skill per promotion of general - would all be my cup of tea.

I guess also "fixing" port movement, so that ships can only move into the sea province the land naval base/port is facing, as it's grossly unrealistic at the moment.

Another nigh impossible change would be enabling subs to surface/submerge. Being spotted by any sort of ASW fleet is just a death wish for subs atm, even with 1939 equipment... heck, even with 1918 DDs with ASW equipped!

• 1Like
Reactions: