• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe solving the difficulty to determine an optimal leader for corps/army could be approached based on average key parameter values computed across the units in corps/army. So for example a corps or an army with an average Softness below and average Max Speed above some fixed figures will be assigned a Panzer Leader as a commander (if available)... because high hardness and high speed combined characterize land units that would benefit from it. As a result one doesn't even need to know an exact combination of unit types in formation and define a leader type for each variation (or class of it). Average Default ORG close or equal to 40 (high proportion of 'special forces' - Mountaineers, Marines, Paratroopers) calls for a leader with a Commando trait. High average Naval Attack of planes requires Fleet Destroyer. Etc. Threshold values can be calculated based on known combat mechanics and bonuses I think with some extent of accuracy.

Remove the penalty for commando leaders, all in all they were/are generals capable of leading a division/army but they could do their best at leading special forces/special missions.

Hmm, I think the reason for penalty is because they are inclined to risky actions only the special forces are prepared for.

Pang Bingxun said:
commando trait only for commando units only should suffice for the start.

Will do.

Hmm, I think the reason for penalty is because they are inclined to risky actions only the special forces are prepared for.

What about leaders that have both commando and panzer skills? In Core there is at least one such leader. Right now it would seem that he can lead an ARM unit without any modifier (positive or negative), so why should I use him on such units?

gunman_ said:
its just the title which is misleading. "light infantry" would maybe more appropriate to describe this trait.

Blecky said:
What about leaders that have both commando and panzer skills? In Core there is at least one such leader. Right now it would seem that he can lead an ARM unit without any modifier (positive or negative), so why should I use him on such units?
there should be a handfull in vanilly as well and one in USA. however with the penalty for commandos they are just useful for MTN/PAR/MAR and not tanks.

They could be used for Panzer+MNT or Panzer+Para (not the most fortunate combinations though)

Re: airforce,

would it be possible to instruct some AIs (the UK one in particular) to perform strategic/industrial bombing missions mainly at night, like in real life?

Also, would it be possible to tell the US AI to strive to bomb mainland Japan - the same way it already does, with good results, against Germany - as soon as it has the chance to do that (i.e. after capturing islands in range like Tinian or Saipan)?

I apologize if it's already doable by oneself via modding - but in that case I'd like to ask which AI files need to be changed :)

for interface gfx, it would be cool to have some gfx unique at least for the majors, eg

Attackplatta -> Attackplatta (if nothing else is added) and Attackplatta_ger, Attackplatta_sov, Attackplatta_jap, etc
Bg_Leader -> Bg_Leader (default version, if nothing else is added) and Bg_Leader_ger, Bg_Leader_sov, etc
Leader_bonus, and all these things.

examples:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-in-Colour&p=12906717&viewfull=1#post12906717
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?556653-Skins!&p=13647983&viewfull=1#post13647983

+ event command: wake minister (its possible to keep them dormant, however iirc waking them is impossible)

only if this is not making things more complicated, all of us know you're working like a dog already!

These are superb suggestions Titan! I'm sure they can be achievable.

Edit: bestmajor, that would be really neat because then players wouldn't have to swap all those files when playing with different nations!

Hister said:
Edit: bestmajor, that would be really neat because then players wouldn't have to swap all those files when playing with different nations!
that was my idea, on top you wouldnt have to remove eg the Bg_leader for SOV or GER if you play JAP and have no bg_leader. it would just work like the icons: if there is no specific one it uses vanilla, if there is one, it uses the one for that nation.

Titan79 said:
Also, would it be possible to tell the US AI to strive to bomb mainland Japan - the same way it already does, with good results, against Germany - as soon as it has the chance to do that (i.e. after capturing islands in range like Tinian or Saipan)?
iirc it does already? eg if they reconquer PHI JAP suffers a lot?

Titan79 said:
would it be possible to instruct some AIs (the UK one in particular) to perform strategic/industrial bombing missions mainly at night, like in real life?
thats why i gave most ENG carpet bombers an additional night trait in my mod :)

re leader traits:

v1.08:
remove the penalty of the commando trait for other units

v1.09:
*externalise leader traits and make them fully moddable (similar to ministers?), so that we can playtest them by ourselves
*add a new csv file which lets us define the conditions which determine when a leader gets a new trait, i.e. terrain, type of units, base combat chance
*maybe even add some unused leader traits so that modders can have some new toys

The modifier in misc.txt would then simply be a multiplier for the base chance if we want to have more leaders get new traits.

+1, so long as it is "mainly" and not completely. For the UK it could stick to night bombing until Germany is reduced to less then 10 interceptors or until the Royal Airforce has 20 fighters.

I apologize if it's already doable by oneself via modding - but in that case I'd like to ask which AI files need to be changed :)
I don't see why you should apologise, 'vanilla' AoD should still have a challenging AI regardless of the mods out there.

iirc it does already [bombing mainland Japan]? eg if they reconquer PHI JAP suffers a lot?
Hm, if it already does, then I didn't pay too much attention. But if they're not bombing Japan when in range from some of the Pacific Islands, then they definitely should!

thats why i gave most ENG carpet bombers an additional night trait in my mod
Excellent suggestion !
I'm glad we agree on this :) . There are also some German air leaders (e.g. Kammhuber) with the night-flyer trait which would prove more useful if the RAF were to behave this way.

Edit:

Saw it has been put into 1.08 - thanks!

Last edited:
Remove the connection between the capital and the ESE in every province. It is ridiculous that having a reduced infrastructure in London suddenly effects British forces all over the world. ESE should be effected by the infrastructure in each individual province and the TC capacity only.