• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All these suggestions on resolving the strategic bomber issue seem more complicated then fixing the capital exploit.

All these suggestions on resolving the strategic bomber issue seem more complicated then fixing the capital exploit.

Which is of course your personal opinion. IMO the best solution would be to address both problems simultaniously, but then I´m neither programmer nor modder, so I cannot say which is the easiest approach.

Both issues need to be fixed and should be put on the red priority list. I don't mind which one gets fixed first :p

Quote from what will presumably be delivered in a DH patch:
Tactical Bomber are very vulnerable to interceptor but not so much to aa fire.
Strategic bomber are hardly affected by ground based AA but are still vulnerable to interceptor planes.
Interceptor are vulnerable to AA but they are not very vulnerable to other interceptors.
Early CAS do more damage then early TAC, but they are more vulnerable to ground based aa, on the other hand CAS are not as vulnerable against Interceptors.
Now to a question: Does it already work that way in AoD? If not how does it work? Any ways to implement it that way Gunman? And a question to you WW2 history buffs - is the content of the quote above the way things functioned back then?

Edit 1: Since this is a wish list I'll post more things that can already be or will be seen by the competition (cough, DH, cough) and can be realized or even improved upon with Gunman's help (.exe changes):

*Some ideas are a direct copy from DH while with others I changed/improved some of their features to be more plausible/functional.

- Sea Transport and Amphibious Assault missions should have a special checkbox for the auto-return to base: with it it would be possible to enable or disable it for those specific missions. Very useful and would diminish the frustration of your ships escaping you to their home port where you urgently need them somewhere else.

- Air Scramble mission given to interceptor and fighter units; they should automatically scramble from their home airbase to protect all the provinces in their flying range from spotted enemy planes (with a certain delay or even failing to do so depending on air doctrines, radar presence, weather, time of day and a random chance). Currently setting interceptors to 24/7 (huge supply and oil consumption) looks a bit ludicrous. Immagine having all those plains in the air all that time - real world countries would run out of oil rather quickly having all their fighter/interceptor planes up in the air constantly! Not to mention how many plane malfunctions that would cause ;)

- Naval Scramble (for all naval units and ALSO naval bombers together with CAS, fighters and TAC with anti naval capabilities): Naval Scramble missions assigns your fleets to stay in home port and engage any enemy ships detected in any sea province in range. That is what AI controlled ships already do automatically don't they? Why not automating the process for the human player to if it's already partially in?
Naval Scramble mission given to naval bombers, CAS, fighters and TAC with anti naval capabilities should work the same way as Air Scramble mission does for fighters and interceptors.

- Sneak Move (for naval units): Ships on a Sneak Move mission move to the target trying to avoid being detected. Because sneaking forces fleets to use longer routes, it takes more time to reach the target, but also reduces the chance to be detected by the enemy; AI would need to be "thought" to use this feature properly; would be very useful for transport missions.

- Possibility to filter leaders by trait and by rank so that you can for example find a Field Marshal with Panzer Leader trait quickly.

Last edited:
Tactical Bomber are very vulnerable to interceptor but not so much to aa fire.

Depending on how much "very vulnerable" means this is the case in AoD.

Strategic bomber are hardly affected by ground based AA but are still vulnerable to interceptor planes.

This is basically ture in AoD but Stregic bombers the have highest defence against airattacks and ground attacks.

Interceptor are vulnerable to AA but they are not very vulnerable to other interceptors.

This is basically true in AoD. Interceptors have the best aircombat valuse but relavtivly low ground defence.

Early CAS do more damage then early TAC, but they are more vulnerable to ground based aa, on the other hand are CAS not as vulnerable against Interceptor.

CAS does always do more damage than Tac. They are very vulnerable to aa and Interceptors. They have lower ground defence and lower airdefence than every other airunit. Well, transport planes are even more vulnerable.

I might be able to increase airdefence of CAS a bit if this is plausible and the current balance makes CAS a bit too weak. But most of your edit adresses hardcoded issues.

What i would like especially for airsuperiority would be an option to chose not one province or one region that is often inadequat for the given purpose but to make interceptors perform their mision within their base proximity. In a more advances step this could be generalized so that ai and human player can chose one privonces and the given mission will be performed in this provinces and all adjactent provinces. :)

I know it's mostly hardcoded stuff, that's why I addressed this for Gunman.

Your idea is very sound! What if you make it so that area for missions can be also chosen on a multiple per province basis - just click on all the provinces that are in unit's range and that you want the unit to perform in. Sounds plausible to me - would it be hard to realize gunman?

Hister said:
- Possibility to filter leaders by trait and by rank so that you can for example find a Field Marshal with Panzer Leader trait quickly.
lets please keep the current sorting function, its so much faster than in eg DH!

Hister said:
- Sneak Move (for naval units): Ships on a Sneak Move mission move to the target trying to avoid being detected. Because sneaking forces fleets to use longer routes, it takes more time to reach the target, but also reduces the chance to be detected by the enemy; AI would need to be "thought" to use this feature properly; would be very useful for transport missions.
sorry i dont want to appear too negative, but leave it as it is. i dont think that this is realistic except for subs maybe. a BB is a BB and there's little chance to hide it.

Hister said:
- Air Scramble mission given to interceptor and fighter units
thats an idea from HoI1 iirc (INTs just starting when hostile air forces come in), i like it a lot.

(sorry for the negative ones, though)

########
more a bug report, but as i'm on it: sleep leader evts dont work if the unit is SR'd and the leader is in the pool during that time (eg Italians in SPA).

EDIT: speaking of HoI1, a lot of things were better there, esp air warfare. eg bombers were always attacking one province. would be cool if this could be set as default in AoD as well (one click less makes hundreds less during one game)

Last edited:
EDIT: speaking of HoI1, a lot of things were better there, esp air warfare. eg bombers were always attacking one province. would be cool if this could be set as default in AoD as well
Excellent, bestmajor, I too would like this to be the default option for air attacks.

(one click less makes hundreds less during one game)
So true...

Last edited:
No worries bestmajor, no need to say sorry mate! And guess what, I agree with your arguments! Now how's that sound? ;)

I don't have DH so I didn't know that it takes longer in DH so seeing you do have it I just have to believe what you say.

sorry i dont want to appear too negative, but leave it as it is. i dont think that this is realistic except for subs maybe. a BB is a BB and there's little chance to hide it.
Yeah that's so true and even more so for the transports! I blundered right there. Even subs wouldn't need it since they are already very hidden aren't they?

eg bombers were always attacking one province.
I don't have HOI 1, what do you mean by that? So that you couldn't set multiple provinces to be flown over by the plains?

Which is of course your personal opinion. IMO the best solution would be to address both problems simultaniously, but then I´m neither programmer nor modder, so I cannot say which is the easiest approach.
Well yes of course it was my opinion and it would be great if both problems can be tackled in 1.08.

The sneak move already exists for all ships (from coast to coast), I think the suggestion was for them to take much longer.

Hister said:
I don't have DH so I didn't know that it takes longer in DH so seeing you do have it I just have to believe what you say.
well, thats maybe only my personal opinion, but you can eg search for each trait and combinations of it (for instance, panzer + LW and then you get only these which have both traits), however i found that takes longer than just sorting them by trait and eg explore all tank leaders in AoD.

Hister said:
I don't have HOI 1, what do you mean by that? So that you couldn't set multiple provinces to be flown over by the plains?
well, what was really better were the intercept missions for INTs. you just set them on intercept mission and as soon as they were alerted they start from their bases (no flying around over ages). iirc electronic techs made them start earlier and increased the chance of interception, they were just not flying around randomly like in HoI2.
as for bombers there was one provine only as HoI1 has no regions.
as for CVs they were carrying real torpedo planes (a unit which dissapeared in HoI2) but that was never really working.

Some more wishes (but resolving the 'capital exploit' problem is my biggest wish):

-Remove Yemen from the Allies in the 1936 scenario. Historically it joined the Allies in 1945. It should also not be a puppet of the UK, although it should still grant military access to Britain due to British influence in the region.
-Get the AI, particularly Germany, to stockpile plenty of resources in the pre-war period. Historically Germany did trade with many big American companies before the war.
-Somehow enable Germany and Japan to work together once they're both at war with the Allies while also avoid forcing Japan to go to war with the USSR if Germany is. Maybe create an event where Japan grants Germany military access, as German U-boats were able to use Japanese bases in occupied-Indonesia.
-Get most if not all the the AI majors to properly serial build units and buildings. Especially in regards to infrastructure, as I'm pretty sure most players build infra to the max all in one go. With such ai files including:
Code:
 military = { 
	relative_build_scheme 	= no 
	max_batch_peace 	= 740 
	max_batch_war 		= 740 
	max_batch_home_front = 180
        extra_convoys_war = 0.0500 
        extra_convoys_peace = 0.0500
This means the AI can only build 1-3 infra serials in one go, I'd recommend changing this to "max_batch_peace/war = 2000" unless this causes problems with AI production in general. Although surely it would be great to see the AI producing a continuous serial of interceptors/ infantry/ submarines etc?

Right now the AI does use serials for building units, e.g. CHI and JAP build several serials of INF (8 to 14 in length).

Longer serials would be problematic as the AI tends to produce everything it has planned before starting a new building programme.

I haven´t seen them producing buildings/infra in serials though.

-Remove Yemen from the Allies in the 1936 scenario. Historically it joined the Allies in 1945. It should also not be a puppet of the UK, although it should still grant military access to Britain due to British influence in the region.

I intend to do so.

-Get the AI, particularly Germany, to stockpile plenty of resources in the pre-war period. Historically Germany did trade with many big American companies before the war.

In my current game the german AI has no resource problems.

-Somehow enable Germany and Japan to work together once they're both at war with the Allies while also avoid forcing Japan to go to war with the USSR if Germany is. Maybe create an event where Japan grants Germany military access, as German U-boats were able to use Japanese bases in occupied-Indonesia.

This is easier said than done. What will be sideeffects of that? How about hat:
If GER at war with ENG and JAP at war with ENg both will grant military access?
If GER at war with sOV and GER controlls Leningrad, Moscow, Staingrad and Baku, than JAP joins axis?

This means the AI can only build 1-3 infra serials in one go, I'd recommend changing this to "max_batch_peace/war = 2000" unless this causes problems with AI production in general. Although surely it would be great to see the AI producing a continuous serial of interceptors/ infantry/ submarines etc?

This has serios downsides as the AI does never cancel or reduce the lenght of serials. serials are used wuite masssivly altready, but for expmple SOV can hardly chnge to panic production properly. Imo hard coded changes are needed to make the AI aim for absolute numbers intead of relative ones. But this will not come in 108.

I intend to do so.
Awesome :)
In my current game the german AI has no resource problems.
Great to hear, I know historically Germany had chronic problems but for gameplay, IMO, it's much better (and easily possible) for AI Germany to stockpile plenty of resources to get it through the war.
This is easier said than done. What will be sideeffects of that? How about hat:
If GER at war with ENG and JAP at war with ENg both will grant military access?
If GER at war with sOV and GER controlls Leningrad, Moscow, Staingrad and Baku, than JAP joins axis?
IMO AI Japan should never join the Axis unless it controls all of India, the Dutch East Indies and the Philippines. But obviously this is up for debate and therefore can't really be implemented.
This has serios downsides as the AI does never cancel or reduce the lenght of serials. serials are used wuite masssivly altready, but for expmple SOV can hardly chnge to panic production properly. Imo hard coded changes are needed to make the AI aim for absolute numbers intead of relative ones. But this will not come in 108.
Ah ok, thanks for answering everything.

no idea if this has been mentioned yet, but seeing the RSI ingame more often would be nice.
if lets say ITA looses Addis Abeba, Trpolis, Tobruk, etc + Sicily. i think its in already, just maybe the trigger conditions are to harsh?