• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zhai came in the bar. He looked around to if anything had change. He then walked to Eochaid, asked

Is there any good story for me to read? How are the things?

Zhai smiled,

Thank you, Commandante. I will read those AARs. You can order a drink, it is on me.

He signaled to Eochaid, and ordered a pepsi for himself and any drink that Commandante wanted.

The door to the bathroom swung open with a bang, admitting a harrowed-looking Hawk, smoking a cigar and carrying roughly 8,000 pages of reading material. He bowed apologetically to Norgesvenn (more of a tilt in the appropriate direction, given his heavy load). "Must've dozed off in the loo," he muttered around his stogie.

Reaching a conveniently-placed table, he dropped his books and tossed the butt of his cigar into an ashtray. Turning, he shot Valdemar a dirty look. "Don't have to read the earlier books, eh? Yeah, I suppose not. But if you want to, have a look at The Free Company: Redux project. It's the same great story, gussied up for your reading enjoyment. That's right, I said gussied."

He collapsed into a chair. "Alright, I guess it's not technically a new AAR." He pulled a new cigar from a slim black case. "So sue me. Where's the beer?"

A new figure enters the bAAR... His body covered with a tunic, his features hidden by a hood. As he reaches the bar, he motions for the waiter.

The face revealed is white as wax, with some firey red points, like a strawberry covered with flour. His hair is something that really picks the attention of the people gathered around, a golden red wavy and abundant mane. His eyes pierce, staring at whoever dares to look at him, with a blue, nearly white, gaze.

"I have heard somebody called Hastu Neon is telling a tale about the reforming of the Roman Empire... Something very interesting indeed."

He leans to whisper something to the waiter, which produces for him a cup of wine... well... it looks like wine... it is certainly as red as wine...

(OOC: The description is based in that of the historical Lucius Cornelius Sulla... the vampiric theme will be justified in my next AAR :) )

Valdemar leaned back into his dark corner as the embodiment of Lucius Sulla scared the patrons of his virtually favorite bar.

He felt a need to be alone so he had stolen Secret master's Dark Corner (tm) to brood over his current AAR.

For some reason attendance had dropped drasticly simce the opening and now even the grizzled veterans had taken a rain check.

Revenues were down, something has to be done. :rolleyes: :D

He lifted a hand and the omnipresent BAARtender bought over a steaming cup of coffee while he weighed his options.

More action? nah not my style

Less detail? But I'm having fun with it

More game related less plot and more forward movement? Perhaps?

He gulped down his coffee and quickly rushed out to a long and very boring office meeting. :)

V

Craig Ashley pulls up next to Lucius Sulla.

"You don't scare me. I've written for a homicidial, Russian madman and even an agent of Lucifer. Around here, we've had ghosts, werewolves, and immortals. You'll fit in nicely."

Lucius just kept silent.

"I'll be looking forward to your AAR. I love a good horror piece."

CA turns and spots Valdemar sitting in a corner.

"Valdemar, don't get down about your AAR, and don't change it to make it more "popular." Some of the best writing on this board isn't the most popular. Look at T's RRR.

I have been meaning to check out your AAR, but my reading time isn't what it used to be. Its ashame too, since not too long ago I was the one making all this racket about the lack of feedback for writers. I'll give it a read and let you know what I think.

What are you drinking? Coffee? This is a bAAR!"

"But it's still morning."

"Nothing like an early start! Norg, two shots of Goldschalger and leave the bottle!":D

Norg served Craig his strange drink, and sipped coffee. He'd celebrated another company newsletter by drinking two bottles of red wine the night before. Not a head start for a day's work, but still.

"Lads... I bring you a sign of life!"

"Heck, we already see you. We know you're alive, Norg. We just try to ignore it!"

"But... it's not me! I was in contact with an old hero yesterday... Ariel. He told me to give you his regards"

Norg went back to the bar of the bAAR and picked up a dirty rag. It was called "Playboy".

Director wanders over and takes a seat at Valdemar's table. He arrives just as Valdemar is standing up to leave.

"I couldn't help but overhear your comment and I hope you'll spare me a moment or two before you depart."

"What you're seeing right now is a temporary decline in readership. I just came through a time with WWTBN where the only people reading were you and Sytass. Heck, I wrote most of ATSM for Sorcerer. Few people ever read that one. These dips and swings just happen. That's all."

"If you stop writing your AAR, I guarantee people will stop reading that AAR. If you cut it off where it is and don't continue, people may be less likely to read your next one. And there will be a next one - you've been bitten by the bug."

"My advice? Let it lay for a bit, a week or even two. Don't write another chapter until you really, really want to write it."

"People don't always post, but that doesn't mean they don't read. Like myself," he said, guiltily. "I try to say something every so often, but I just can't always think of something appropriate."

"I get so excited when someone pops up out of the dark to comment, someone who's never posted in my thread before. Old friends are the most valuable, Valdemar, but even old friends can run out of things to say. Your work is fine, man. You even got a compliment from Prof Pete, and by his own admission he rarely has the chance to read."

"So snap out of your funk, go on to work. And write the next chapter when you think it's time. We'll all be waiting."

Valdemar leaned back into his borrowed Dark Corner (tm) thinking over the advice he had gotten.

Then he lifted his hand again to the everpresent BAARtender

"A round of their choice for these two gentlemen"

Once Norg had placed the drinks and withdrawn, he leaned forward.

"I don't write if I don't feel like it, don't worry about that, but with out the knowledge it is being read, I might choose to write without posting at all."

He sipped his drink.

"No what worries me is that the story is becoming centered on the figures, on my imagination and I'm afraid it is turning stale, mind you I haven't passed the first half year in game time and I guess I've got somewhere around 50-60 pages or so.

When I look at your excellent story, HistoryPark, then what amazes me most is not the sheer brilliance of your talent, but the ability to combine plot and story with both characters and forward movement in the game."

He leaned back, muttering to himself.

"I think that is what my story lacks, it is imo a fine story, but more intended for a 400 volume setting than 200 odd installments."

"Greetings, all!"

Dead silence. This bodes ill

"Well, I just wanted to apologise for being somewhat distracted recently. Not only have I been shirking updates of my own AARs, I have also provided even less feedback on other people's AARs that I use to do.... That is, none"

A tough crowd... Valdemar still sits blubbering in his ale (nasty image, that) and what Sytass is doing with the donkey I do not want to now. Perhaps research for Msr. Chapeau-Montant? The mind boggles. Even Eochaid listlessly polishes yet another stained glass to near perfection rather than showing interest

"And, well, I know that I am only halfway through history-park, so I do not really have anything witty to say about that masterpiece that has not already been said"

Director rolls over on the floor and orders another death-by-cider

"But I just wanted to mention that, well, if your EU2 is the english version you really, really, ought to try downloading the latest public beta of 1.06b. (You download 1.06b and apply, then 1.06b2 and apply, in that order)

There is plenty of really interesting new stuff, and there is still (perhaps) room for modifications if you have a really good idea that will enhance gameplay without requiring text changes or too much work. Just look at the list for beta2 to see what I mean :)"

It all depends on whether the weather in Sweden stays miserable, I guess, but let us not mention that

"That's all, folks!" :D

"I was not rolling on the floor! I was just demonstrating the 'gator'! That's a local 'dance move' that's really popular at Mardi Gras time."

"Thanks for the kind words about HistoryPark, Prof E. It's been a lot of fun to work on. I decided not to go with any upgrades until I had that game finished, though, so I haven't even tried 1.06 yet."

"I'd heard about 1.06b but I didn't know about 1.06b2 (6.b201? 2b610? dobedobedo?). Are these official patches or experimental models? Anyway, thanks for the info on that."

"I see you haven't made up your mind about your avatar. Plenty of time, I suppose - and the weather 'up there' will give you time to think. Down here it's a sunny 66 Fahrenheit and all the flowers (sneeze) are in bloom."

Commandante lay down on the floor next to Director, careful not to spill his drink.

"Hey, Director, I've finished reading History Park. At last. It was a painful experience, since the story just couldn't let me go until I'd read the whole piece. So many hours of sleep lost into oblivion! ;) And I'm just in time for the wrapping up of your AAR. As I said in the thread, that AAR is just soooo damn good! A masterpiece indeed, as Prof. Ebbesen said earlier!"

Commandante shifted position to lie on his belly, stired his drink with the accompanying umbrella with a serious look on his face.

"That's it, now I haven't got any excuses left to start writing the next chapter for my own AAR. Game-wise, I've almost played my way through the 17th century, so I'll start write shortly."

Bismarck drinks a strawberry smoothie and contemplates where he is going in his Cyprus AAR.

"I can't believe there are just 93 years left to write about.... and Brazil has such a long way to go.... I am going to be writing these AARs for years to come...."

Sigh...

At least I'll finish before Havard does... ;)

M

Director pulls Commandante to his feet and hands him the MagicBrush (TM) for cleaning his clothes.

"Thanks for the compliments, though I'm sorry I made you miss working on your own AAR. Sleep - well, we can sleep later, yes?"

"The first book of the HistoryPark series has been a lot of fun. I'm not a skilled writer in terms of conscious application of tools, but I'm working on improving. And there are one or two passages that I've been pleased to have written."

"I'm fighting impatience now. On the one hand I don't want it to end, but on the other I just want to cut directly to the finale - which would ruin it. So I'm not having much fun right now. It's more like laying bricks."

"But have you read any of Rule Bretagne? I'm telling you, for humor I put this author up there with the best. So if you need some cheering up, give it a try."

A singularly Scottish person enters.

"Ay! BAARtender! A pint o' usquebae! An' some haggis!"

Once he finished the drink, he turned to the other people in the bAAR.

"We're startin' a rebellion 'gainst the English deils! Read about it here!

Status
Not open for further replies.