• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Might not be a bad idea. Considering the amount of hype and demanding that has been going on, I'd believe Paradox's next game after Victoria 2 would be Crusader Kings 2. Only after that would Paradox Interactive probably try to create a new franchise. Improving Rome and expanding the map East and South wouldn't also be very badly thought out.

medieval japan - yes! forget total war shogun, paradox could really do that period justice - read the books by stephen turnbull - fascinating period, the politics, culture, economy and military aspects - would be a great addition to the paradox stable

It actually strikes me that a CK2 might be a good platform to base such a game on, in fact...

Fascinating period and region - maybe Warring States China, too?

It'd be a good idea but I hope that they do Crusader Kings II and a few patches for Victoria II (maybe even the above suggested expansion of Rome) before thinking of creating any new games. Is it just me or does it seem like there's been a proliferation of new Paradox games lately? Well anyway yeah good idea but I hope they wait a year or two.

Unless it includes giant reptiles, alien boys with supernatural strength and a tail, school girls in marine uniforms saving the world and villains with tentacles... this Songoku thing does not do it for me.

Time for Paradox to make a space opera grand strategy. Once Victoria II is done, port it to outer space.

First CK2, then this:

The Dark Ages (~400 to 1066).

There is enough war simulators already as well as other good games concentrating on warfare in modern ages. Realistic, good and simply fun games concerning the medieval period are much more difficult to find.

First CK2, then this:

There is enough war simulators already as well as other good games concentrating on warfare in modern ages. Realistic, good and simply fun games concerning the medieval period are much more difficult to find.

But the interesting thing on Cold War is that global war won't be funny at all! ;) It'd be more about politics, economy, diplomacy, spionage, research...

But though I'd put my money on such a thing developed by Paradox for sure, I'm afraid it would be a nightmare come true for developers (firing your nukes break the game, I can't invade the USA because of that fu***** US Navy, soviet communism is more democratic than liberal democracy, etc).

I agree it would be a totally new type of game for Paradox, more of a political game than a national game, but why not? Of course, byt the 70s a nuclear war would mean game over, well then, avoid it, just as IRL. People would just save and reload. But it would be so cool trying to fund communist revolution in Egypt as the USSR, or agreeing arms deals with the Mujahadeen as the US... making sure your own power base was secure, maybe trying to find a third way as Yugoslavia...

I agree it would be a totally new type of game for Paradox, more of a political game than a national game, but why not? Of course, byt the 70s a nuclear war would mean game over, well then, avoid it, just as IRL. People would just save and reload. But it would be so cool trying to fund communist revolution in Egypt as the USSR, or agreeing arms deals with the Mujahadeen as the US... making sure your own power base was secure, maybe trying to find a third way as Yugoslavia...

It's a pity you're not a modder. A cold war mod in Vicky2 with some of the things you're talking about would be great. And maybe it could move some minds and hearts in the right direction :D

It's a pity you're not a modder. A cold war mod in Vicky2 with some of the things you're talking about would be great. And maybe it could move some minds and hearts in the right direction :D
:eek:o:eek:o:eek:o Sir, I think you very much for the compliment!

But I think this game would require a totally new setup, maybe even new engine. Although the diplomatic triangle in HoI3 hints that Paradox are giving more attention to that type of diplomacy... an expanded ministerial and espionage system would give the potential for an incredible game.

Actually, in analogical thread in Vicky 2 forum we mostly agreed that its engine is not sufficient to cover Cold War intricaties.

To make it clear - it would be REALLY new game for Paradox. For a start, war is a bad thing there 90% of the time. Not war with bad cassus belli. Not war when you have high bad boy. EVERY war (except from maybe liberation war, and that's also not always true). EVERY border move is a pain, triggering world reactions that force you to put the borders back where they were. And of course, war is positively devastating for your economy and most of the time, for your society as well.

Such game would have to focus on proper application of espionage, diplomacy, economical pressure (sometimes military as well) and social leverage to link other countries with you on multiple more complicated levels then just simple "relation" value - and number and strength of such ties would be a measure of success in Cold War, not "winning" the nuclear war.

It's basically something that was never the case with Paradox games, that always followed classic cycle of "gain strength -> expand -> consolidate -> repeat". Even Vicky with its focus on internal policies is not different - what would have to be changed is a model of expansion and how it affects your standing/success.

Nevertheless, Cold War is an interesting idea, much better then MDS. I'm not a big fan of MDS scenarios, mainly because they are already covered by other developers (some of them under Paradox patronage) and competing there would be rather pointless. At the same time Cold War fits better Paradox "thing" that is covering exact history period instead of creating of generic fantasy/SF empire builder.

Last edited: