• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you Nomonhan, I'll start working on new localisations to adapt it into my mod. Thanks. Did I mention, thank you? Anyway, thanks.

I'm downloading/installing it now, thank you!

I've found a bug, the last thing researched in one of the ship tech trees is named "UNKNOWN STRING WANTED" or something like that, I haven't researched it yet.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Been looking forward to this, and will the AI use nukes?

Although I'll give it a day or two before downloading incase anyone finds any horrible bugs ;)
I haven't done anything YET with the nukes. My comments referred to what are in my plans. I can't do anything about authorization yet until I do the file and due to changes in New Revolters from DDA to AoD the list of countries authorized to use nukes may change. If per chance you want a non-nuclear game, then you can edit out the following line in secret_weapons.txt:

Code:
  # Nuclear Waste Bomb
  application =
  { id        = 7170
    name      = TECH_APP_SW_17_NAME
    desc      = TECH_APP_SW_17_DESC
    position  = { x = 24 y = 168 }
    year      = 1944
    # Basic Nuclear Bomb Construction
    component = { id = 7171 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_1_NAME type = nuclear_engineering difficulty = 8 }
    # Basic Detonator
    component = { id = 7172 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_2_NAME type = electronics difficulty = 6 }
    # Basic Impact Calculations
    component = { id = 7173 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_3_NAME type = mathematics difficulty = 7 }
    # Basic Uranium Handling
    component = { id = 7174 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_4_NAME type = chemistry difficulty = 6 }
    # Basic Nuclear Detonation Tests
    component = { id = 7175 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_5_NAME type = nuclear_physics double_time = yes difficulty = 10 }
    required  = { 5540 }
    effects =
    { command = { type = enable_task which = nuke }#remove or comment out
      command = { type = abomb_production }
      command = { type = max_reactor_size value = 7 }
    }
  }

Then you'd have to create an event to "enable_task which = nuke".

I'm downloading/installing it now, thank you!

I've found a bug, the last thing researched in one of the ship tech trees is named "UNKNOWN STRING WANTED" or something like that, I haven't researched it yet.
Thank you for the bug report. I forgot to put them in the model list. Copy and paste these lines into doomsdaytext.csv.
Code:
MODEL_26_10;Improved Nuclear Air Carrier;Nucléaire Porte-avions II;Migliorare Nucleare portaerei;Mejorado Nuclear portaaviones;Verbesserte Nuklear Flugzeugträgerrumpf;;;;;;X
MODEL_26_11;21st Century Conventional Air Carrier;21 Siècle Conventionnelle Porte-avions;21st Secolo Convenzionale portaerei;21st Siglo Convencional portaaviones;21st Jahrhundert Bieder Flugzeugträgerrumpf;;;;;;X
MODEL_26_12;21st Century Nuclear Air Carrier;21 Siècle Nucléaire Porte-avions;21st Secolo Nucleare portaerei;21st Siglo Nuclear portaaviones;21st Jahrhundert Nuklear Flugzeugträgerrumpf;;;;;;X

Last edited:
I haven't done anything YET with the nukes. My comments referred to what are in my plans. I can't do anything about authorization yet until I do the file and due to changes in New Revolters from DDA to AoD the list of countries authorized to use nukes may change. If per chance you want a non-nuclear game, then you can edit out the following line in secret_weapons.txt:

Code:
  # Nuclear Waste Bomb
  application =
  { id        = 7170
    name      = TECH_APP_SW_17_NAME
    desc      = TECH_APP_SW_17_DESC
    position  = { x = 24 y = 168 }
    year      = 1944
    # Basic Nuclear Bomb Construction
    component = { id = 7171 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_1_NAME type = nuclear_engineering difficulty = 8 }
    # Basic Detonator
    component = { id = 7172 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_2_NAME type = electronics difficulty = 6 }
    # Basic Impact Calculations
    component = { id = 7173 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_3_NAME type = mathematics difficulty = 7 }
    # Basic Uranium Handling
    component = { id = 7174 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_4_NAME type = chemistry difficulty = 6 }
    # Basic Nuclear Detonation Tests
    component = { id = 7175 name = TECH_CMP_SW_17_5_NAME type = nuclear_physics double_time = yes difficulty = 10 }
    required  = { 5540 }
    effects =
    { command = { type = enable_task which = nuke }#remove or comment out
      command = { type = abomb_production }
      command = { type = max_reactor_size value = 7 }
    }
  }

Then you'd have to create an event to "enable_task which = nuke".

Thank you for the bug report. I forgot to put them in the model list. Copy and paste these lines into doomsdaytext.csv.
Code:
MODEL_26_10;Improved Nuclear Air Carrier;Nucléaire Porte-avions II;Migliorare Nucleare portaerei;Mejorado Nuclear portaaviones;Verbesserte Nuklear Flugzeugträgerrumpf;;;;;;X
MODEL_26_11;21st Century Conventional Air Carrier;21 Siècle Conventionnelle Porte-avions;21st Secolo Convenzionale portaerei;21st Siglo Convencional portaaviones;21st Jahrhundert Bieder Flugzeugträgerrumpf;;;;;;X
MODEL_26_12;21st Century Nuclear Air Carrier;21 Siècle Nucléaire Porte-avions;21st Secolo Nucleare portaerei;21st Siglo Nuclear portaaviones;21st Jahrhundert Nuklear Flugzeugträgerrumpf;;;;;;X
Thanks, I hope that fixes it.

small point... another UNKNOWN STRING WANTED for Elite Light Howitzer (bottom of Field Artillery)

Thank you screaming eagle for the bug report. With the sheer volume of new technologies I'm not surprised that a few things slipped through the cracks.

To fix, open doomsdaytext.csv and do a search for the string "BRIG_MODEL_1_9"

When you find it, replace what you find for BRIG_MODEL_1_9 and BRIG_MODEL_1_10 with the following:

Code:
BRIG_MODEL_1_9;Elite Artillery;Artillerie elite;Artiglieria elite;Artillería elite;Elite Artillerie;Elitarny artyleria;;;;;x;
BRIG_MODEL_1_10;Elite Medium Howitzer;Obusier elite;Obice elite;Obús elite;Elite Howitzer;Elite artyleria polowa;;;;;X;
BRIG_MODEL_1_11;Elite Light Howitzer;Obusier léger elite;Obice leggera elite;Obús ligero elite;Elite leichter Howitzer;Elite artyleria polowa;;;;;X;

Save the file. (If you are using Windows Vista or 7 run notepad as administrator).

When I feel I've gotten enough of these reports and have some other improvements, I'll issue an update.

So when are you going to edit the Industry/Secretweapon/Doctrine tech trees?

Also thanks for the fix.

Another bug report: A lot/some of the naval/other/InfantryLogistics tech trees don't require the previous thing researched to research, example: I can research 2010 Submarines without having researched any of the previous submarines.

Another bug report: There's something wrong with one of the heavy armor techs, it corrupts save games.

Last edited:
I'm taking a few days off before resuming work on the rest of the areas. So now's the time to submit additional bug reports, comments on balancing (are some of the later units over/underpowered?), and ideas for doctrines. Am likely to patch in doctrines previously done for CWTTE for HOI2 but take a look and see if I can modify the effects of the doctrines from max_org and morale gains to improvements in specific units where possible.

The 1975 sub is supposed to require Elite Attack Sub and Early Killer sub (both), and the 1990 and 2005 subs are supposed to require the preceding model. Thanks for the bug report. I also see that there are some unpatched model names.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to test a lot of the later units because one of the Heavy armor techs breaks my save games, the ones I was able to use were fine.

I think you should remove a lot of the useless techs in Infantry/Armor/Artillery, I don't think there needs to be twenty different Mec/Inf/Marine/Etc units, try removing the named Inf/etc techs like Early, Basic, Elite/etc, and replacing them with 1-3 different techs.

So now's the time to submit additional bug reports, comments on balancing (are some of the later units over/underpowered?), and ideas for doctrines. Am likely to patch in doctrines previously done for CWTTE for HOI2 but take a look and see if I can modify the effects of the doctrines from max_org and morale gains to improvements in specific units where possible.

Coming up with doctrine techs for 1950-1975 is difficult since most large-scale military doctrine was focused on nuclear warfare. I suppose you could use more specific things like counter-insurgency tactics, jungle/desert warfare, etc. What does the land doctrine tech tree look like in the Arma version of the mod?

US military doctrine from 1976 onward is pretty straightforward:
1976 Active Defense Doctrine
1982 AirLand Battle Doctrine
1996 Network-Centric Operations Doctrine & Rapid Dominance (Shock and Awe) Doctrine

Grand battle plan should presumably lead to some sort of Cold War era defense in depth doctrines, maybe merging with the superior firepower tech tree at the end? C3I, C4I, C5I, etc should be part of all the tech trees (unless Soviet command and control was radically different from the west?).

Finland specifically focuses on territorial defence, and total defence doctrines at least. Tere are a number of other countries who also do this, Sweden made use of portions of the total defence concept a few years ago but this concept is being dismantled in favour for a rapid deployment intervention force.

I'd like to suggest a few additional secret weapons techs

Additional Weather Forecasting techs

Advanced Electronic Supported Weather Forecast
components
Management- Standardized radar Networks
Mathematics - Constant Altitude Plan Position Indicator
Electronics – Dopplerized Radar
Year 1968

Effects
command = { type = max_organization which = land value = 2 }
command = { type = max_organization which = air value = 2 }
command = { type = max_organization which = naval value = 2 }
command = { type = max_positioning which = carrier value = 0.05 }
command = { type = min_positioning which = carrier value = 0.05 }
command = { type = task_efficiency which = air_superiority value = 0.05 }
command = { type = radar_eff value = 25 }

Modern Weather Radar networks
components
Management- Standardized Doppler radar Networks
Mathematics – Next generation Radar experiments
Mathematics - Mesoscale meteorology
Electronics – Improved Doppler Radar
Year 1982
Effects

21st Century Weather Radar Networks

components
Management – Improved National Radar Networks
Mathematics – Improved Meoscale Meteorology
Electronics – dual-polarized Doppler weather radars
Electronics - Experimental Phased Array Radar
Year 2005
effects

The last weather forecasting techs could add new naval asw and naval radar brigades as well.

I haven't been able to test a lot of the later units because one of the Heavy armor techs breaks my save games, the ones I was able to use were fine.

I think you should remove a lot of the useless techs in Infantry/Armor/Artillery, I don't think there needs to be twenty different Mec/Inf/Marine/Etc units, try removing the named Inf/etc techs like Early, Basic, Elite/etc, and replacing them with 1-3 different techs.

One of the unique features of the tech tree is that it is designed to be an add-on compatible with a basic game. By consolidating the pre-ww2 and ww2 techs I would ruin compatibility with Paradox scenarios. With the changes I've made, all I should need to do is check for any Japanese heavy-sub units and change them. I've made the infantry techs more spaced out--in the later stages they only happen every 10 years, but the more mechanized technologies get updated every 7 years or so. Compare this with WW2 where they get upgraded every TWO years.

I believe the crashes some people have experienced relate to extra models being undefined in the units files. Will check that out.

From the comments I'd say I'll probably do industry and SW next and doctrines last.

Just a note - it's not only Japan that has Heavy Subs in the AoD vanilla scenarios. UK has one and USA (IIRC) has one, too. Still not too many, but...

One of the unique features of the tech tree is that it is designed to be an add-on compatible with a basic game. By consolidating the pre-ww2 and ww2 techs I would ruin compatibility with Paradox scenarios. With the changes I've made, all I should need to do is check for any Japanese heavy-sub units and change them. I've made the infantry techs more spaced out--in the later stages they only happen every 10 years, but the more mechanized technologies get updated every 7 years or so. Compare this with WW2 where they get upgraded every TWO years.

I believe the crashes some people have experienced relate to extra models being undefined in the units files. Will check that out.

From the comments I'd say I'll probably do industry and SW next and doctrines last.

Good point, in fact factoring in that were talking about an almost 90 year time frame, having less units would probe to be quite idiotic - lots of changes did take place.

Just make sure that the research levels start extending through the sixties on - need to make sure the player/AI have enough tech to keep themselves busy through the decades

Coming up with doctrine techs for 1950-1975 is difficult since most large-scale military doctrine was focused on nuclear warfare. I suppose you could use more specific things like counter-insurgency tactics, jungle/desert warfare, etc. What does the land doctrine tech tree look like in the Arma version of the mod?

US military doctrine from 1976 onward is pretty straightforward:
1976 Active Defense Doctrine
1982 AirLand Battle Doctrine
1996 Network-Centric Operations Doctrine & Rapid Dominance (Shock and Awe) Doctrine

Grand battle plan should presumably lead to some sort of Cold War era defense in depth doctrines, maybe merging with the superior firepower tech tree at the end? C3I, C4I, C5I, etc should be part of all the tech trees (unless Soviet command and control was radically different from the west?).

60-75 had mostly technological improvements. 73 October war showed the ATGM (AT-3 & TOW's effectiveness), MANPADS were introduced, tank firing missiles (MBT70, M551, IT-1, AT-8 & on) so I guess rocketry took a step forward :)

an interesting sidenote was the Igloo White ground elint system from the vietnam war, used seismic sensors to detect units along the Ho Chi Minh trail. EW also took off in this timeframe. Just throwing out ideas, not sure where to take em

balesir,
I've discovered that 4 nations have heavy subs (UK, USA, Germany and Japan) and possibly a 5th--France. Is there any evidence, though, that ANYONE other than Japan actually built these subs? For now I'm just going to change the model to the first capital sub. But if I get solid evidence that nobody but Japan actually built these things then they should become regular subs, except for Japan.

danielshannon,
Studying your weather forecasting idea. Might link one of the stages to satellites.

ice hawk,
good points.
1) Ultimately the problem of "having enough techs to research" will be resolved by making the later technologies harder to research. Due to pressure from developers to get something out to see model numbers this process of "progressively increasing difficulty" was not fully implemented for all models yet. I'm also seriously considering how to implement an idea to slow down the research of ALL countries later in the time period. In real life, it actually took YEARS to complete ANY military project, as systems became more complex.
2) thank you for your comments on land doctrines. Will allow time for more comments before doing anything about doctrines.

Another note,
The loadscreen is just a first version, done quickly to get something out that is reasonable, in color and not too sore on the eyes. An improved version might include a collage of several things such as
USA--USS Nautilus, Nimitz class carrier and F-117
SOV--Tsar Bomba blast, SAM missiles, Kirov class battlecruiser
GER--Leopard tank, Horten flying wing, Sanger Silbervogel

Perhaps all that could be against a Vietnam War backdrop.

Anyone wishing to submit a loadscreen please feel free to do so. Don't worry about the labels. I can put them on.

Last edited:
So far, my research has shown that

Germany did indeed build the XB class and planned the XX class, so they will be kept. One of the XB boats became quite famous, I believe it was U-234 that surrendered to the USA after the war and was found to contain uranium ore and some Messerschmitts bound for Japan.

Many of the V-boats were actually SMALLER than world-war 2 subs. I did find a reference to the Argonaut class on uboat.net, so it looks like the American heavy subs are for real. the name should, however be V-4 class.

Britain built the River class as a transport submarine, but it was designed to be fast, not large. I found only one ship in the 1941 scenario and I'm inclined to keep it.

If I find any French heavy subs I'll keep them, but so far I haven't found any. I also read about the Surcouf, and it does indeed qualify as a heavy sub.

Last edited: