• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Red Storm Rising as in like Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising? That was a great book... oh umm anyways, where are my manners? I've been so busy playing CWE 18.5 I forgot to actually thank those of you who worked on it, so thanks! I would help CWE project except I know nothing about modding Hearts of Iron engine stuff.

No feel free to keep playing :D - Im interested in later game playtests if possible. We need to find out if the game balancing of navy/air/land forces is working properly. & that all techs are working properly etc :)

A Red Storm Rising scenario is actually not that far off in terms of realism. CIA did end up sabotaging a gas pipeline in the SU. We can extrapolate a semi-realistic scenario based on that np ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_pipeline_sabotage

Currently working on filling out Soviet & US model illustrations and model names. Im assuming these are the most played of all so getting a fully realistic model tree here is good for solid play experience ;)

I got an error message saying that the file ai\spr_alt.ai is missing. I went through my old archives and found this file from an earlier version of CWE - V0.30 for Armageddon. It has been removed from the newer versions but somewhere still seems to be an event that still activates this one.

BTW I used the old version and everything seems to work ok. There are no big differences between the files, so maybe copying and renaming the existing spr_36.ai would also be ok.

got the same error, it's caused by the event: Republican Spain wins the Civil War (see last lines)
#########################################################################
# Republican Spain wins the Civil War
#########################################################################
event = {
id = 3108
random = no
country = SPR

trigger = {
owned = { province = 341 data = SPR }
NOT = {
exists = SPA
event = 3004
}
}

name = "EVT_3108_NAME"
desc = "EVT_3108_DESC"

date = { day = 18 month = july year = 1936 }
offset = 5
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1963 }

action_a = {
name = "OK"
# In case any Italian & German units given to SPA survives the war.
command = { type = remove_division which = "Bombarderos Legión Cóndor" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Cazas Legión Cóndor" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Blindada Legión Cóndor" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Littorio" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Dio lo Vuole" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Fiamme Nere" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Penne Nere" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Bombarderos Aviación Legionaria" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Cazas Aviación Legionaria" value = SPR }

# In case any of these four Communist, Anarchist & Fascist militia survive SCW.
command = { type = remove_division which = "Milicias POUM" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Milicias CNT" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "1a Milicia Falangista" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "2a Milicia Falangista" value = SPR }
# Soviet units
command = { type = remove_division which = "Carros Soviéticos" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Brigadas Internacionales" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Cazas soviéticos" value = SPR }
command = { type = remove_division which = "Katiuskas soviéticos" value = SPR }

command = { type = sleepevent which = 3004 } # SPA SCW win event
command = { type = capital which = 341 }
}
}
# 20% of time SPR AI less passive so it usually wins SCW if this choice taken
event = {
id = 3109
random = no
country = SPR

trigger = {
ai = yes
random = 20
}

name = "AI_EVENT"
desc = "AI_EVENT"

date = { day = 18 month = june year = 1936 }

action_a = {
command = { type = ai which = "spr_alt.ai" }
}
}

I had a CTD on Soviet Union annexing Germany as USA. Probably a problem with event chain. Will check to see if it happens again.

My other comment is that the UK land doctrines seem to give them a gigantic, nearly unbeatable advantage in defense. I don't know what was causing it but I was having trouble against them as Germany, had to keep resorting to encirclements and concentric attacks because of the huge disparity in attrition. Will see if I can figure out what the detail was. (My land units were superior, and when I checked I was further ahead chronologically than them in land doctrines but they still fought like super maniacs. USA were chumps when I battled them.)

I had a CTD on Soviet Union annexing Germany as USA. Probably a problem with event chain. Will check to see if it happens again.

My other comment is that the UK land doctrines seem to give them a gigantic, nearly unbeatable advantage in defense. I don't know what was causing it but I was having trouble against them as Germany, had to keep resorting to encirclements and concentric attacks because of the huge disparity in attrition. Will see if I can figure out what the detail was. (My land units were superior, and when I checked I was further ahead chronologically than them in land doctrines but they still fought like super maniacs. USA were chumps when I battled them.)

Sure keep us updated - re land doctrines, what years are you talking about specifically? Would help pin it down.

auxiliary.bmpauxiliarybig.bmphave added cruise missiles and attack helicopters to auxiliary files also have added artillery icon from iron cross.

used paint.net let me know if you need to add any other graphics to the auxiliary file.

perhaps transport helicopters and horse transport, motor, and mech transport brigades could be added? and some new levels of engineers.

just suggestions

ggm

Last edited:
Land Doctrines

What's the secret to opening up the latter Land Doctrines?
I'm not able to win battles any more because my org keeps running out before the other guy.

It's late-50's, I'm the US. Long ago got Air-Land Battle, and some of the first of the advanced doctrines: mobile firepower, integrated air support, marines usage, mech inf tactics.
Nothing else in the land doctrins has opened up for several years.
I've got the infantry and armor techs up to date or more, most of the industrial techs too (not to mention naval and air).

What's the secret to open the land doctrines?

What's the secret to opening up the latter Land Doctrines?
Found out when noodling around in the db\tech dir...
The techs that I ignored, close air, cavalry, and light carriers are the key. After the first two or three advanced doctrines, you gotta get the elite forces built up before it lets you advance with everything else.
Now I know!

Got another topic, if anyone still visits this thread:

Strategic Bomber progression

Has anybody else noticed this?

Strategic bombers will only upgrade so far and no further. I have all the bomber techs: gen 5 stealth strategic bomber, early stealth bomber*, even the orbital bomber dyna-soar III.
However my actual units are stuck on the lvl VI bomber.
There's plenty in the upgrades slider (in fact, upgrade says 0.00), the bomber units are in my home country so supply is not an issue (got plenty of oil and supplies even.)
Looking in the saved game, the strategic bomber line under "models =" is { 0 13 9 14 12 11 8 7 5 4 3 2 1 }
which is very strange.
in order to advance rightly, shouldn't the techs be in order?

*in fact i got the gen 5 bomber before i got the basic stealth bomber. pretty funny, a requirement is missing.

Got another topic, if anyone still visits this thread:

Strategic Bomber progression

Has anybody else noticed this?

Strategic bombers will only upgrade so far and no further. I have all the bomber techs: gen 5 stealth strategic bomber, early stealth bomber*, even the orbital bomber dyna-soar III.
However my actual units are stuck on the lvl VI bomber.
There's plenty in the upgrades slider (in fact, upgrade says 0.00), the bomber units are in my home country so supply is not an issue (got plenty of oil and supplies even.)
Looking in the saved game, the strategic bomber line under "models =" is { 0 13 9 14 12 11 8 7 5 4 3 2 1 }
which is very strange.
in order to advance rightly, shouldn't the techs be in order?

*in fact i got the gen 5 bomber before i got the basic stealth bomber. pretty funny, a requirement is missing.

Ohh this is a major discovery then. Not sure if nomonhan planned this on purpose? To represent say US strategic bomber fleet of B-52s with B-1s & B-2s present or if its an actual glitch. Not near the the actual coding but is lv 6 roundabout B-52s or similar intercontinental bombers? Would make sense as the dummy model gaps seem very obvious (no other unit has them).

Re further progress finished currently finished Soviet brigade & model illustrations. Fully done & looking quite well. Target date for release of next interm upgrade likely October :)

Found out when noodling around in the db\tech dir...
The techs that I ignored, close air, cavalry, and light carriers are the key. After the first two or three advanced doctrines, you gotta get the elite forces built up before it lets you advance with everything else.
Now I know!

See! stingy monkey, how are you supposed to get elite forces without aircav & cas ;)

I just had a fairly enjoyable playthrough of this as the Soviet Union up to 1944 and the defeat of Germany (from the 1936 start). I was a bit disappointed by the post-war events, or lack thereof; would it be possible, perhaps, to think about integrating a SEMP-like system where capital capture determines who ends up controlling the state after the war, except in the special case of Germany? As an example, my Soviets captured Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris but not Belgrade or Budapest, therefore the Warsaw Pact would include France, the Netherlands, and Belgium, but NATO would include Yugoslavia and Hungary. I'm assuming many players play from 1936 with the intention of achieving a different Cold War situation...

Also, there seemed to be quite a few issues with the text in the technologies screen--a large number of technologies mislabeled, unlabeled, or misspelled.

I've installed this mod over 107 without much instruction except to place in the AoD folder and overwrite. I've got a problem with the game locking up on me. While I love the graphics I've seen so far, the game keeps making me play-over so much time each time it locks up. I don't know if it could have something to do with this mod, the game, or perhaps running background programs like mozilla(for music). If anyone has had any experience with this issue, please help me. I love the game and the mod and don't want to have to give up either.

So i installed this mod, under the steam version, and i notice my game freezes permanently after the operation paper clip event comes, any ideas how to fix this?

Mine freezed without such an event. Any answers? I love this mod but couldn't stop it freezing up so I had to remove the entire game and start fresh without it. Hopefully someone will fix this.