• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you can post when they were discovered, how much resources they would translate into and what provinces that would be great. If you want to go ahead and write the events that would also be great. MANY players complain that the USSR is short of oil and should not be. As I understand they only became oil-short in the 1980s and that was a factor in their fall.

The Saudi discoveries and the decline in USA oil production are also not reflected in the game.

Last edited:
Doesn't the CORE mod have events for new resource discoveries?

If you know of events for resource discoveries and care to post them go ahead. Just indicate the source so I can give proper credit.

I did some balance tweaks to USSR in regards to oil - went through the historical production data and looked at the entire US / GER / SOV scenrio.
Seems that the US and germany have historical levels, but USSR has ahistorical low oil production in baku and the 2 other provinces.

Fixed in the final 1.04 :cool:

Lennartos,
Since I have your attention it was ME that was the source of the flags you put into 1.03. I'd like a few of them changed to reflect what is currently in my AoD adaptation of the Cold War Extension. This is for your protection, as I am distancing my mod from New Nations. I changed U23, U64, U66 and U69.
U42 will be based on this (Western America using the Arizona state flag just because it's a cool flag and looks like something the Japanese might have done.)
800px-Flag_of_Arizona_svg.png

Thank you.

Lennartos,
Since I have your attention it was ME that was the source of the flags you put into 1.03. I'd like a few of them changed to reflect what is currently in my AoD adaptation of the Cold War Extension. This is for your protection, as I am distancing my mod from New Nations. I changed U23, U64, U66 and U69.
U42 will be based on this (Western America using the Arizona state flag just because it's a cool flag and looks like something the Japanese might have done.)
800px-Flag_of_Arizona_svg.png

Thank you.

Phillip still is the contact for modding contributions - i have enough work with all the other stuff ;)
Feel free to contact him though - thats what he is there for :p

If you know of events for resource discoveries and care to post them go ahead. Just indicate the source so I can give proper credit.

If I find anything I will post it

I did some balance tweaks to USSR in regards to oil - went through the historical production data and looked at the entire US / GER / SOV scenrio.
Seems that the US and germany have historical levels, but USSR has ahistorical low oil production in baku and the 2 other provinces.

Fixed in the final 1.04 :cool:

Lovely

If you can post when they were discovered, how much resources they would translate into and what provinces that would be great. If you want to go ahead and write the events that would also be great. MANY players complain that the USSR is short of oil and should not be. As I understand they only became oil-short in the 1980s and that was a factor in their fall.

The Saudi discoveries and the decline in USA oil production are also not reflected in the game.

Re: CORE resources - Ive looked over CORE 0.40 & core_CP_Bonus_Resource.txt has a little but is quite limited.

Ill post em asap - the other thing is to simple create some sort of random resource discovery generator but then the geopolitics will change dramatically (Australia is the new OPEC while the Saudis export camels :rolleyes:)

Ok from the look of it AoD uses the 4 times the production levels as a basis of reserves ie. The Bolivar Coastal Field in Venezuela, producing since 1922 with reserves of 30 billion barrels has a AoD output of ~110-120 ie. ~4x.
So:

Code:
Location		           Date of Discovery Reserves  ~HoI/AoD Level
Bolivar Coastal Field,Venezuela	1917		  30-32          120
Agha Jari Field	Iran	           1937	             8.7              32
Burgan Field	Kuwait	           1938(46prod)	  66-72          260
Romashkino Field, Volga-Ural       1948		  16-17          60
Ghawar Field	Saudi Arabia	1948		  75-83          320
Safaniya-Khafji Field, Saudi Arabia 1951	    30               120
Rumaila Field	Iraq	           1953		  17               64
Ahwaz Field	Iran	           1958		  10               40
Daqing Field	China	           1959		  16               60
Serir Field	Libya	           1961		  12               48
Bombay High	India	           1964		  6.1              24
Samotlor Field,West Siberia        1965		  15               60
Zakum Field, Abu Dhabi,UAE        1965		  12               48
Lyantorskoye field, West Siberia  1966	             13               52
Prudhoe Bay, US, Alaska	           1969	             13               52
Fyodorovskoye Field, West Siberia 1971	             11               44
Cantarell Field, Mexico        	1979                 35                140
Tengiz Field	Kazakhstan	1979	             15-26           80
Oseberg	, Norway	           1979	             2.2               8
Hibernia, Canada	       1979                  3                  12
Priobskoye field, West Siberia,    1982	             13               52
Vankor Field	Russia	           1983	             3.8              16
Kashagan Field	Kazakhstan	2000	             30               120
Azadegan field	Iran	           2004	             26               100
Sugar Loaf field Brazil	           2007	             25-40           120
Tupi Field, Santos Basin,Brazil	2007	             5 – 8            28
Canadian*Athabasca Oil Sands.	         tar sands  1700             ?
Orinoco tar sands*(Venezuela)	         tar sands  513              ?
Utah	United States		         tar sands  32                ?
tar sands should only go online past 2000 OR if through some coded event related to oil price/strategic reason they become operational. Athabasca & Orinoco combined outweigh all the normal oil deposits in the world combined but their extraction is lengthy in energy & limited - for both fields possible output would be in the 30-60 level in 2000-2020 level with possible negative energy cost due to the extraction costs involved. Shale Oil hasnt been factored in as its still quite experimental/unproven.

Last edited:
Civil demand of oil increased massively after WW2, whereas the demand for the military did not to the same extent. There is no civil demand of oil in HOI and all oil is available to the armed forces of the world. This means problem since the quantity of oil increased to the extend it did after WW2.

This could lead to a somewhat unbalanced game. Global supply is to big and the demand gets too low - the overall value of oil will be artificial low. In addition countries with very large oil recourses will be overpowered (more oil than they can ever use and probably trade) and those with few oil resources gets underpowered (marked demand of oil is non-existing).

As I see it civil demand of oil has to come into the game directly, or it has to be taken into account when distributing oil resources.

Global supply of oil will definitively be to large if you materialize those figures below...

Ok its not ht CORE mod, its TRP.

Uploaded their event regarding resources here

These resource event is from 1936 to 1944, its tons of them and it all seem to be quite in depth

Picture at the beginning

Nomonhan, great Mod, I really like it. Are the Fatherland events in .13, I was a bit confused when I installed the mod. I also got an error on the gfx file but it did load .13 correctly. The Tech Tree is insane and I love it. :)

Also just out of curiosity isn't that a Soviet T34 tank on the picture with the German Cross?

thanks again for making a great mod to a great game.

Civil demand for oil can be simulated as a negative value for free_oil. In part I've done that through the Defense Highways Technology. Actually the USA continued to produce lots of oil but civil demand kept increasing until the USA became an oil importer. In part civil demand for oil in the USA is represented by its IC being about half of its true value. Still this might be most easily simulated by resource depletion events.

I've boosted Venezuela's oil production by 20 through setup event.

I've just downloaded the resources file and will look at it.

Re: The political power of OPEC
This is a reality which should be simulated.

@scalvi:Yes that's a T-34 with the German cross on it. I chose it for overall look. It was from some site I forgot where, but the Germans did make use of captured T-34 tanks during the war. It's a temporary loadscreen pending a better one. An ideal loadscreen would have the key personalities (Hitler, Stalin and Mao as a minimum) and some weapons systems covering the entire period 1936-today, including some of the US stealth planes.

Last edited:
Civil demand of oil increased massively after WW2, whereas the demand for the military did not to the same extent. There is no civil demand of oil in HOI and all oil is available to the armed forces of the world. This means problem since the quantity of oil increased to the extend it did after WW2.
Good point but counter point is that I simply adjusted for Hoi2/AoDs current oil production, which apparently isnt factoring in civilian use either. Granted - demand is going to grow through the twentieth century so it should probably be included in TC, agriculture & some industry techs as well.

This could lead to a somewhat unbalanced game. Global supply is to big and the demand gets too low - the overall value of oil will be artificial low. In addition countries with very large oil recourses will be overpowered (more oil than they can ever use and probably trade) and those with few oil resources gets underpowered (marked demand of oil is non-existing).
We already have that, OPEC being a perfect example. This game is trying to simulate that so in fact it makes perfect sense to have.

As I see it civil demand of oil has to come into the game directly, or it has to be taken into account when distributing oil resources.
Agreed, as stated above techs or maybe events should cause negative oil consumption as the decades progress. Hell, IC should start using up oil to be really realistic...

Global supply of oil will definitively be too large if you materialize those figures below...
The numbers above are large BUT realistic. Finding a game balance would be imperative in that case. Im sure well figure something out!

Last edited:
While a cold war extention sounds great, a simple but massive problem comes to mind.
In HoI II, all economies, besides some peace penalties, are actually war-economies. Basically, all armies keep growing through the entire game. Not only does this lead to tiny countries like Panama holding 20+ divisions by the end of the war, this will also mean all armed forces will keep growing before and after the war, wheter the cold war erupts or not, as the only balancer is the supply demand (which the AI probably ignores).

This will ofcours lead to a problematic and unrealistic number of divisions by the later, and even the early, stages of the Cold War.

Now an obvious "solution" is removing most of the victorious sides' divisions at the end of the war (by event). However, this doesn't solve the problem, as afterwards armies will begin to grow again. Also, it doesn't represent the historical situation of superior Soviet forces in Europe right after the war.

So how do you plan to solve this issue? Is it possible to force nations to "demobilise" and professionalise their armies in peace time?

Ofcours, true mobilisation in itself is a major point the HoI series is truly lacking imo (even HoI 3 doesn't model it correctly at all), which makes any scenario other than World War 2 very hard to balance.

This is AOD- as land forces grow, net manpower growth decreases to represent an aging and retiring army. Thus as time goes on, countries will have less and less manpower to build new divisions, eventually resulting in a kind of equilibrium

This is AOD- as land forces grow, net manpower growth decreases to represent an aging and retiring army. Thus as time goes on, countries will have less and less manpower to build new divisions, eventually resulting in a kind of equilibrium

Ok, that sounds much better. Ofcours, it still doesn't fix the massive manpower differences a country should have between peace- and war-mobilisation.

Another solution is a peacetime ic mod. One of the problems with a peacetime IC mod though is that it also reduces resource production, one of whose effects is to turn the Soviet Union into the world's largest oil importer. So probably all countries should get a peacetime IC mod with the USA, Soviet Union and the UK affected less seriously.
By the way here's a graph of US oil production:
US_Oil_Production_and_Imports_1920_.png

The USA also exports some oil to Maritime Canada and imports more from the Middle East to compensate, so a low level of imports does not indicate a deficit. The dependence on imports should start about 1955 IMO.
In HOI2/AoD USA production of oil is about 770. By that standard, Saudi Arabia today should have an oil production of about 800, Kuwait about 250 and probably a similar value for UAE (Dubai).
Soviet oil production appears to be accurate in the ww2 period, but that does not consider the fact that about half of US oil production went to filling the needs of US drivers' private automobiles while the military got all of the Soviet production. So probably the USSR should get an additional 60-100 or so, but I have no idea where to put it. Should it all go to Baku or should some of it go to other places and where?
In part I've also invoked the Women's Movement to reduce manpower growth
Another possibility is to increase the retirement effect
# daily aging of MP
to a higher value and if necessary compensate for any undesired WW2 effects by events.
One of my plans is to knock down the released IC of the tiny nations from 6 to about 4 but give them free money so they can at least do basic research. Probably the minor nations should get arms deals events, giving the country that chooses to deal with them better relations. Most of the weapons of the minor countries, with the exception of the infantry, were bought, not manufactured. And although the manpower came from within, the guns came from abroad.

Last edited:
The peace time IC modifier in previous versions of Cold War affected almost all countries in the world actually (bringing them all down to 0 IC and increasing dissent for all eternity).

Samilou,
Thanks. I changed my mind about the peacetime IC mod and will simply go for absolute reduction of IC for the smaller nations, plus free money so they can do basic research and control dissent.

Does anybody know of a way to command the AI to not build any more units? Perhaps this can be triggered by dissent reaching a certain value or number of units reaching a certain value. I have this in mind for tiny nations.
By the way here's a graph of Soviet oil production vs the US
oil_lisbon_laherrere_us_fsu_prod_fig43.jpg

Last edited:
Samilou,
Thanks. I changed my mind about the peacetime IC mod and will simply go for absolute reduction of IC for the smaller nations, plus free money so they can do basic research and control dissent.

Does anybody know of a way to command the AI to not build any more units? Perhaps this can be triggered by dissent reaching a certain value or number of units reaching a certain value. I have this in mind for tiny nations.
By the way here's a graph of Soviet oil production vs the US
oil_lisbon_laherrere_us_fsu_prod_fig43.jpg

You should also consider this for Ussr and similiar countries remember my post after 6 years wtih playing Usa and when I check Ussr build soo many units that their supply cost devasted its Ic they cant able to make even one tank brigade and thats weird.

Also can you code Ai about where to put units I mean its weird to see Usa puts tanks divisions on pasific island or seeing all of the Ussr troops at baltic coast and no divisions near or inside its eurpoean allies.