• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ozman2

General
4 Badges
Nov 30, 2005
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
For the most updated download links, see my signature
Version 0.18 is out.

Many new features including FATHERLAND finally ported to AOD, and an extension to cover the 1919-36 period
(so that's TWO new things)
load_1024-1.png

The tech tree covers 1936-2020. Units are essentially complete but late game (1970-2020) doctrines are under construction. Nonetheless, the game is playable in the WW2 era and a functioning 1945 Cold War scenario is included.
My ideas on how the tech tree should be different from that I did earlier for Arma 1.2/Arma 1.3

(EDIT) This tree has undergone improvement and also scenarios associated with it are in progress. 1945 Cold War is already out and covers through the Korean War. Chinese Civil War, Berlin Blockade, Greek Civil War, 1948 Arab-Israeli War and Korean War are all functioning close to historically.

What are your opinions and suggestions for model names?

[22 January 2012]
Links have been updated. I have been using megaupload as a backup server for file distribution. Due to the legal action taken against that website, these links have been moved to depositfiles.

Last edited:
1) AoD added some technologies so I don't want to take those away.
2.) The workarounds for lack of a dedicated Light Carrier Air Group and the 10 model limit are no longer applicable and need to be reversed. This means undoing the Rocket Interceptor fix which means that models will now be Paradox Standard again. Technically you could take the event package for Arma and it should work though.
But at first AoD will be Vanilla with only a tech tree change.

Also I noticed that there is more room at the bottom of the screen with AOD for technologies--enough for 4 more lines and up to 20 new technologies on a screen

Last edited:
1) AoD added some technologies so I don't want to take those away.
2.) The workarounds for lack of a dedicated Light Carrier Air Group and the 10 model limit are no longer applicable and need to be reversed. This means undoing the Rocket Interceptor fix which means that models will now be Paradox Standard again. Technically you could take the event package for Arma and it should work though.
But at first AoD will be Vanilla with only a tech tree change.

Also I noticed that there is more room at the bottom of the screen with AOD for technologies--enough for 4 more lines and up to 20 new technologies on a screen

Possibly use this for a more detailed Space Race? Then again perhaps the space race will be best simulated through events, it'd sure be more fun that way. Sure there are other things that deserve new technologies as well.

Light Carrier Air Group and the 10 model limit are no longer applicable

Does this mean we can now have more than 10 models of any division? Are we sure about that?

Does this mean we can now have more than 10 models of any division? Are we sure about that?
They already have an interceptor 10 which is the 11th model (0 is the first). I've experimentally taken the interceptor models up to 20, and the correct icon is displayed along with the upgraded values, so YES!!

Can't wait til this is ready for AoD I find it pointless to play if I can't continue into the cold war period.

this was one of the first flaws i found today while looking through the tree's some tree's went up to 1948(navy for instance) while others like Aircraft and industry went up to 1964. Nomohadan I'm definetly all for your tree up till 1990... as long as someone also does historical events for decisions past 1953 as well! as well as some ahistorical options... Like if axis is victorious in ww2!

Please do this. Seriously... this would be awesome.

Minor Note: It would be awesome if you left out the giant red mushroom cloud splash screen for the AoD mod. Honestly, that thing is rough to look at.

Last edited:
I plan on doing a tech tree and letting others do the rest.
For right now I'll just use the default AoD screens until someone submits a good alternative graphic.
P.S. One of the nice new features of AoD is you can get 1680 x 1050 resolution.
You need skins, though. You can get skins from the link in my sig, and take the 1600 skins and resize fullscreen.bmp to 1664 x 956. That works acceptably.

The_Carbonater,
That is the plan.

If you can get it up to the 90's then great, but personally, I would rather have an much more in depth tech tree for the 50/60/70's than all the way to the 90's. At that point, you'll be running out of room to put new techs.

vonSachsen,
There were not actually so many MILITARY advances after 1970, and there is more room on the AoD screen (an extra 60 pixels at the bottom). Getting the tree up to the 1990s should be possible for the military technologies and there weren't that many NEW secret technologies--maybe stealth technology, killer satellites, and some improved missiles. Also nuclear propulsion for ships is apparently handled as an attachment so there will be fewer ship models. The only question regards the depth to which I could pursue doctrines and industrial technology. I've looked over my naval doctrines (from Cold war arma tree) and some could either be consolidated or stretched out.

One solution is to make the later technologies more difficult to research, so that the shortage in number is compensated by increased time to research

As for industrial technology AoD added some technologies so I'd have to take out a few of my own to make room for theirs before adding any of my own. But likely there will be about 4-8 taken away (from what I added for arma) and about 12 new ones added. Will likely stress things like robotics, electronics and computers for the added technologies--maybe another radar level.

The final thing is that I'm planning a "rollover". In other words I may have more technologies than can fit on the screen, but if you have a second set of technology files that set can have the same technologies but choose to display the more recent set. So if you have a long game (like you're exploring alternate history to 1999 with an alternate ending to WW2), you'd just stop in the middle, save the game, load new technology screens and keep on going!

There are many practical issues, though in going to 1990 or 1999. The tech team files need to be edited for a later end date for all teams except those that relied upon an individual who died, or those that historically went out of business. New generals would need to be found (for minor countries with made up leaders they can simply be made to live forever). And new ministers would be needed, at least for the majors.
Infantry tree
(deleted picture, there's a better one in a later post)

Last edited:
I already loved your cold war tech tree extension mod, and this just looks awesome!

I will try to arse myself to work on the techteams for a couple of nations this weekend.