• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
some resource production techs to reflect improvements in mining / oil extraction would be fairly nifty to reduce resource shortfalls in long games would be nifty.

also cool would be CAGs and LCAGs were researched as their own tech on the aircraft page. players could still be motivated to get better carriers by reducing the org/morale boost for cags given by air doctrines and then having each successive Carrier model have higher base org/morale to represent larger air groups with more flight deck space / repair facilities etc.

regarding the nuclear attachment for ships, it doen't seem to work very well. ships with it still consume oil, and it hogs a space away from other attachments - which is ok for battleships but, is kind of rough for light cruisers. also i'm not aware that any real ships were ever converted from conventional to nuclear propulsion.

separate nuclear warship models would be much nicer imho. there could even be one of those secret weapon boxes on the naval units page like how turbojet engines are done on the aircraft page. that would make it easier to keep track of, and free up heaps more space on the secret weapons page.

some resource production techs to reflect improvements in mining / oil extraction would be fairly nifty to reduce resource shortfalls in long games would be nifty.

also cool would be CAGs and LCAGs were researched as their own tech on the aircraft page. players could still be motivated to get better carriers by reducing the org/morale boost for cags given by air doctrines and then having each successive Carrier model have higher base org/morale to represent larger air groups with more flight deck space / repair facilities etc.

regarding the nuclear attachment for ships, it doen't seem to work very well. ships with it still consume oil, and it hogs a space away from other attachments - which is ok for battleships but, is kind of rough for light cruisers. also i'm not aware that any real ships were ever converted from conventional to nuclear propulsion.

separate nuclear warship models would be much nicer imho. there could even be one of those secret weapon boxes on the naval units page like how turbojet engines are done on the aircraft page. that would make it easier to keep track of, and free up heaps more space on the secret weapons page.

yeah better to make the nuclear ships a seperate model.

I found out that I could just modify the button (not make it smaller but make it so the bottom edge stands out and can actually fit ALL technologies on the screen!
Infantry
techs_infantry-1.png

Armor
techs_armor.png

If anyone is trying to make other things work from my HOI2 projects keep in mind that I put things in a separate directory, so either events.txt or the scenario files would have to reflect this. Actually what I did was to make the scenarios refer to events2.txt. Also you have to make sure the countries are loaded into either doomsdaytext.csv or boostertext.csv. Unfortunately you can't just overwrite files because the file contents have changed and you'll screw up something else. The tech tree comes first!

Will look into keeping the ship models vs getting the nuclear propulsion attachment.

Last edited:
Looking forward to see the new secret weapons technologies! Will you do something about model names for the majors at least?

I think this will be a great simulation of the superiority of more modern weapons versus WW2 and early cold war technology as well! Suddenly, technology will be a decisive factor after world war 2 as in reality. You should request this to be made a part of the core game of AoD!

Great, let us know when it is ready.

It will likely take 2 weeks to a month for the tech tree to be ready. I've not decided whether to fix the nuclear ship fuel consumption issue by a separate ship class or by assigning a negative number to fuel consumption in the nuclear attachment.

Last edited:
i tried assigning a negative fuel consumption to the nuclear attachment.

the problem is that the ships themselves all have different base fuel consumption, so you end up with most ships either still consuming some oil, or having negative consumption. and there is still the problem that it limits how many other attachments can be placed on the ship.

its fantastic that you're introducing a CWE extension for AOD, nomonhan- it definitely improved my experience of HOI2, and the late game tech tree (even up to 1964) could really use some fleshing out, especially with the addition of SSMs, etc.

If you lack space in the tech tree, remember that it is no problem to extend the tech screen horizontally. In MDS2, we have a larger tech screen than vanilla and other mods. (Can fit 5-6 techs horizontally.)

Great to see that my favourite HOI 2 mod comes to my favourite HOI game after all !

It would be better IMHO to name the WW 2 techs after their respective year, so that we don't put for example Elite Inf vs 1975 Inf but rather 1945 Inf vs 1975 Inf.
I also would suggest that you change the thing with obsolete models, so that the player can still build inferior but cheaper troops with older gear.

I have the default names for the WW2 era and immediate postwar period, but new models are just named after the year or given a Roman numeral (like main battle tank III up to IX). Probably after initial release I'll go back and name the WW2 technologies for their years, too. It looks a little inconsistent now but this is just to get something out for now.

By the way have cooked up a loadscreen for the mod which is on the first page. If someone has a better one, go ahead and submit. I have the template for adding the logos so you don't have to worry about that one.

Killerrabbit, thanks for your advice. I'm seriously looking at your mod for ideas. Do you mind if I use some of them? I'm especially interested in your concept of post-cold war technology, as in the 1.6 beta. By the way I found an easy way to play with mods such as yours--just copy your entire game folder to another directory and overwrite that copied folder as required by the mod. Run the game from that folder. There's no need for moddir, and it works great!

I have the default names for the WW2 era and immediate postwar period, but new models are just named after the year or given a Roman numeral (like main battle tank III up to IX). Probably after initial release I'll go back and name the WW2 technologies for their years, too. It looks a little inconsistent now but this is just to get something out for now.

By the way have cooked up a loadscreen for the mod which is on the first page. If someone has a better one, go ahead and submit. I have the template for adding the logos so you don't have to worry about that one.

Killerrabbit, thanks for your advice. I'm seriously looking at your mod for ideas. Do you mind if I use some of them? I'm especially interested in your concept of post-cold war technology, as in the 1.6 beta. By the way I found an easy way to play with mods such as yours--just copy your entire game folder to another directory and overwrite that copied folder as required by the mod. Run the game from that folder. There's no need for moddir, and it works great!

Please do use what you want. :)

As for 1.6 beta it is possible to just move the AoD exe-file to unpacked MDS2 beta folder. (Maybe some mod in the misc.csv file also)

With some further GFX editing, it should be possible to extend tech screen even further than MDS2 does. (So you can have 6 techs horizontal without it being crowded. )

If you need assistance with any of the descriptions of techs or history I'd be more than glad to help.

what of attaching multiple bridages to divisions ala naval upgrades? post WW2 divisions obviously are multifaceted units... would be HIGHLY appreciated! (if doable)

I feel teh sex for this tech tree, it may even convince me to buy AoD :D.
@icehawk
It's impossible, or so it appears, I have a reliable source tell me this :). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, no offence intended :).

what of attaching multiple bridages to divisions ala naval upgrades? post WW2 divisions obviously are multifaceted units... would be HIGHLY appreciated! (if doable)

Divisions are not even so common anymore. Brigades are the modern units that would fit the modern era best.

Divisions are not even so common anymore. Brigades are the modern units that would fit the modern era best.

PLEASE don't think about switching from divisions to brigades (a la HoI3).

It's just fine as it is...