• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ankios

Major
69 Badges
Apr 2, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2
  • Lead and Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
PLEASE : Before posting, read the first post. If this one does not answer your question, please ask.

To see the last thread about this mod, with only the war between the states scenario, follow this link.

Loading screen

Welcome on the North American wars mod for HoI 2 DDA !

In mid-november 2009, I began to work on this mod. It was a real bet for me as it is the first mod I am working on. In November and December 2009, I worked on that "Civil war", but since the begining I was really interested in a global game or mod that could simulate wars the US had to live in the XIXth century.

So here it is the new version of the American Civil War mod named now "North American Wars of the XIXth century".

In this mod, you will be able to play three different scenarii :

I) The war between the States

The original and principal scenario of the mod. Here you play the entire war named "US civil war", as the USA, CSA or a foreign country that could hve had some impact on the war.

II) The Texan Revolution

In this very scripted scenario, you will play as rebels from Texas or as Mexico. This scenario will be very special for a Paradox game. In this scenario, it is obvious Texas troops have no chance at all to win against Santa Anna's numerous armies. Only cheap militias can hope to hold the line for a few weeks, for example at San Antonio de Bexar, until, by a lucky (and totally scripted) attack six month after the begining of the war, General Sam Houston is able to capture Santa Anna and to create the Republic of Texas.

III) The Mexican-American war

In this scenario, tensions are rising between the US and Mexico because of the issue of Texas. When this State join the US in december 1845, war seems to be impossible to avoid. Like with the "War between the states" scenario, you will be able to live the entire war.

The status of the developpement is the following (even if it is always hard to talk about those things) :

Map building : Around 75 % (Only north america will be in the final version)

USA 1860 map : 95 %

Events building : 9%

Graphisms building : 45%

Texts building : 8%

Units building : 12%

Tech modding : 15%

First Beta release : december 5, 2009

Second beta release (February 2010)

Download here

Beta version v0.21 is out ! (May 2010)

Download here

What to expect in 0.2

Final release : ON HOLD

Since September 2010, I do not have time to continue to mod unfortunately. I really wish to see this mod finished. However I won't be able to do it. If someone wishes to continue with what have been done, please do not hesitate to send me a private message about it.​

Features in this mod :

High historicity and realism, to place you in the same situation both sides had to live with. Can you remake history ?

Tons of events to show the tensions rising between the USA and the CSA.

High historicity content, without bias !!! Live all the political debate and constructions in the Union and in the CSA by lots of readings in the first release version. Later on, you will have the possibility to make your own political choices from the foundation of the Confederation to political tactics to influence states to have them on your side at the begining of the war !

What does "Without bias" mean ?

Well simply the fact that I don't want the mod to be pro one side or pro the other. It means that the Union will have events and setups with text pro-Union and anti-secession. And the Confederation will also have texts of events and setups pro-secession and pro-Dixie. If you don't want to see or read opinion of one of those sides, just don't play it !

However, no form of racism will take place in this mod. There were debates about slavery back then. All those debates in the mod will have an economical eye. But it will clearly be said that whites, afro-Americans or blacks in general and Indian-Americans are equal as humans. If you are in anyway against that, well 1) don't play this mod and 2) go somewhere else I do not care about what you think.

Feel the period with a real "Civil war time" ambiance in the game.

Alternate historical events in the release version. Could CSA have lost the war with an alliance with UK and France ? What abut a Mexican intervention/revenge against the CSA to profit from this war ? This will be possible in the second release of the mod (not second beta, second release. As much as lots of people wants it, the priority is to give you a running mod on civil war. Then alternate historical events will come up).

Why is this mod interesting ?

Well, there is no hundreds of games on the civil war. But one thing I am sure of is that I personnaly never found a grand strategic game to play it that I really liked. In the mean time, I never found a grand strategic game to play WWII that I really liked until I tried HoI 2 a few years ago. I just hope this mod can propose to you an historic and still open ended and fun gameplay bringing the HoI 2 gameplay with the great ACW background.

How is this mod original ?

As I don't want to release all the features I want to put in it for now, I will display from time to time some features I (IMHO) think should at the end make this mod a great scenario for HoI 2 DD A.

Currently, one of the thing I clearly like in this game is the freedom states have. As you can see on the screenshot, every single of the "US territories" from this period exists independently. And so does US States that decided to join the Union in 1861 but could clearly have joined the CSA because of their slave state status : Kentucky and Missouri.

Why do I like that ? Well it brings some "balance" and is more accurate with history than simply having Missouri, Kentucky, and territories, in the Union or the CSA. The Union "miss" those states for months, like in the reality. In a more advanced version, those will have to choose through events which side they are on. And I think the fact they are not into the Union/CSA represent more accuratly the fact there were lots of political debates in those states about the war. So they were not clearly engaged on one side. And independent IC is more realistic in the early game. Like that, those states don't bring production (and troops) to one side or the other until they choose.

And on "independant" territories, well it makes war there more realistic, as war in not owned territories is always harder for both sides.

When do you plan to release this mod ?

TBA, and clearly not soon for the final version. There is still a lot of work to do. As the developpement continue, I will release beta versions to let you test it.

Who is working/worked on this mod ?

Several people gave me a great help so far :

- Gukan created the sprites for Union and Confederate troops and gave me the codes to implement them (implemented in version 0.2)

- Vaximillian created the flags and the shields for every "independant" States, the Confederation, Mexico and the Union (Implemented in version 0.21).

- Vesimir created skins for the Union, Confederation and Mexico (Implemented in version 0.21). He also created pictures for the Union governement (Implemented in version 0.22)

- Crilly created pictures for the the CSA governement (Implemented in 0.22)

For a few days, the Confederation is a reality. The union is in turmoil. Anything can happen.

Last edited:
Beta version 0.2

The beta version 0.2 is available

Downloads :

How to install

North American wars off the XiXth century (the entire mod)

Musics for the mod

If you hve any problem with the install, or if I made a mistake in the "how to install" file, please just ask.

In the beta version, you will find as new from the last one :

1) almost a bug free version ! no more strange pop ups at launch or things like that. I dealt with all this

2) new sprites for units

3) two more scenarii : the Texan revolution is clearly not finished as it as to be more scripted to be historical. But give it a try ! it cost nothing, and who doesn't want to be Travis on the walls of the alamo ? The mexican-American war is also here. however I NEVER tried to play it, so it means I don't know how it's like to play it, if it is balanced (my guess is the US will crush Mexicans sooner than in the relality because the US can produce a lot much more without any balancing). I just verified the few events that exist so it is here mostly a free for all not much events, just war with one year to be ready !

4) The arrival of Mexico ! logical as it is a much more important country for two scenarii now

5) lots of new events, but this still needs a lot more work.

6) more historical content

7) a clearly lighter mod, with lots of useless content removed ! The mod now is less than 100 mo, including music ! So you'll be in game in no time !

8) of course more fun !!!

I hope you all will be able to test in a few minutes. My advice on the US Civil War is to begin to play as CSA : lots of events had to be created but you don't always hove informations on what happen when you play other countried for now. So to understand what happen ad to be able to react properly (especially as the Union), begin to play as the CSA.

I can't wait to read your opinions on those changes and news. I hope you will enjoy this new version !

Last edited:
Looks interesting, ill be watching.

I will probably download the beta later, but right now i am too busy to actually test it.

Good luck! :)

What to expect in version 0.21

What to expect in version 0.21​

LAST EDIT on 06/06/2010 :

1) DONE Food production : Don't be excited too much quickly about that. I'll just try the first tests. I will put lots of food production (oil) in lots of territories, and I will begin to make troops rely on this food. It shouldn't have any consequences as the food production will be very high for this first test. I also don't know how much food the troops will have to eat each day to make it realistic. Basically on this the next beta version will be a first shot only.

2) DONE Union Politics : I talked a lot about that, but the core of the events with choices for a real impact on the history is still almost empty. I will now clearly begin to work on it. I will especially focus on Abraham Lincoln's inauguration speech for two reasons : I almost did not work on the Union events (for now it's less fun than the CSA) and the "neutrality" of this speech did not change the course of events at all. What if Abraham Lincoln had been more agressive against the CSA, or if he had decided to say that he will fight FOR the States rights ?

On this speech, historically divided in 8 parts, the Union player will have for those 8 points three possible decisions : 1 favorable to States rights, 1 pretty much neutral on the current situation, and 1 hostile to States rights or hostile to Slavery. The historical decision will be indicated like this : (Historical)

When the Union is led by the AI, the chances of decision for each possible speech decision will be 25% for the two choices Lincoln did not take, and 50% for the historical outcome.

Of course, every speech decision will have poltical repercussions. I will try to make every decision equally positive and negative for both the US and the CSA to be sure the player won't take the decision for gameplay possibilities, but to clearly having him making a choice as tough as it is possible.

For example, if Abraham Lincoln decide to defend States rights on Slavery, it might highly upset lots of Northern voters, and then rise dissent a lot and crete a new political instability. But is it worth it if it makes remaining Southern states to decide to stay in the union when the war arrive ?

This is the overall idea, but for this new version, the system won't be complete, as I have to put in the "influence" system for it to work completely, the first texts and the events will exist (not all the texts, most of them will exist as "to do"). And consequences won't exist. So on this next version, whatever your choice, it won't have any effect for the moment.

Here the first screenshots for this new version :

March 4th, which decision President Lincoln will take about the Corwin amendment ?

A pro-States rights decision might be good for Lincolns' relations with Dixie States still members of the Union, but is it worth the trouble with the northern populations which you need if you want to recruit lots of troops?

3) DONE CSA politics : I will begin to implement the same speech mechanics for Jefferson Davis (February 18th, 1861). The same restrictions I told you about on the 2) point for Union politics will happen here : no consequences.

4) DONE The "belligerence" system : I will begin the early work on this. I will use the current belligerence system to make the Union and the CSA show how much they are willing to show their opposition to the other side, to bring States with them or to keep their population's support, and later on potentially the intervention of foreign countries.

There will be three tests on this :
- Mexico : if one side goes higher than 200 belligerence points, Mexico will declare war to this side (200 is really high, it will be very difficult to have it enter into war. It's mostly for tests that I will make.
- Arkansas : Both sides will be able to have its support if they reach the proper belligerence level before the historical outcome (as a test : 0 belligerence for the Union ; 50 belligerence for the CSA)
- Kentucky : Both sides will be able to have its support if they reach the proper level before the historical outcome. (as a test : 30 belligerence for the Union ; 100 belligerence for the CSA)

For those three States/Country, the values I'm putting in-game should not have a real impact. To see something happening, it will be needed to really try to have it... But keep in mind that all of this will need features that won't be in the next version so you probably won't entirely enjoy this system. Remember : it's just a test !

5) DONE New graphics for the troops (not on the map, only pictures)

6) DONE New flags and shields for almost all the States, Mexico, the USA and the CSA

7) DONE New skins for the CSA, the Union and Mexico

Last edited:
Just added for what I will put in the next patch :

3) CSA politics : I will begin to implement the same speech mechanics for Jefferson Davis (February 18th, 1861). However I will work a lot less than on Lincoln's speech for this version. Probably just a few descriptions and the choices but without effects for now. I don't even know how much parts there will be for this speech.

About that, if anyone had a political analysis of this speech, I would really much enjoy to be able to use this as a base for this speech. It was easy to find for Lincoln's Inauguration, but not so much for Davis' speech. Thanks by advance !

We are eagerly awaiting the further enhancement of the mod! AFAIK, it is the first mod to simulate those thrilling events in the 19th century US.

Art and music is already impressive...

Thumbs up! :)

Thanks guys for your nice comments ;)

about this next beta, I begin to realize that I won't be able to simply add those events. I will be able to add a "new" feature. The "international interventions" points will probably change in simple "intervention" points and those points will be necessary to bring States to come in one side. Of course having more States will not assure victory. For example in history president Lincoln tried to be almost neutral in the debate after his election on lots of points (moslty because he feared the effects). What if he decided to lose every border states to the CSA but then having more northerners willing to fight in the war ? or the other way around !!! more States supporting the union by supporting states rights but then having less northerners willing to fight and more of those guys willing to do strikes and rfusing to follow lincoln ?

Those are my current thoughts after several tests :)

I think this should be with the whole world, not just USA/Mexico...