• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So you want a game where only majors are actually playable like the current state of HOI3. Sorry don't agree with you on this.

Agreed.

If he has some problem with ahistorical game, play historical. Play as Yugoslavia and just defend yourself. No problem, the game allow.

Now say this about HoI3? :rofl:

So you want a game where only majors are actually playable like the current state of HOI3. Sorry don't agree with you on this.

Well if you beat Germany or the SU by yourself then well... Something is amiss, but don't see you really doing that. Thou arguably, I'd say such aggression would get one of the great powers declaring war on you at this point. Say like if you annexed austria, I'd think you'd be kicked out of the Axis and declared war on by Germany.

Wow, the frenchies have a huge stack at your border...
Is that a new AI behaviour? Splitting their divisions in to 1 division armies? :eek:

Am I correct if I'm assuming that Germany didn't DOW the Allies (and vice-versa) due to the strange situation that has in the meantime unfolded in south-eastern Europe? I hope this isn't a standard behavior by the AI...

Am I correct if I'm assuming that Germany didn't DOW the Allies (and vice-versa) due to the strange situation that has in the meantime unfolded in south-eastern Europe? I hope this isn't a standard behavior by the AI...

The AI is unpredictable if you don't follow a strictly historical path. France could declare war on Germany at any time or it could just sit there. When I tried this a month ago, France and the Soviet Union went after Germany immediately. You will not get the same result every time.

Personally, i believe that increasing the "bad boy" points you get when DOWing or annexing would solve the problem. The player managed to conquer half of europe because he only had to fight an adversary at a time. Plus, the only serious opponent (Italy) had deployed most of its army in Africa when Yugo DOWed it the first time.

Imagine a game where Yugoslavia get's DOWed by all it's neighbours when it annexes Albania. Then, you would have a "realistic" result...

I think Yugoslavia's only chance for greatness should come through an alliance with a major power.

Non-histortical games are one thing, totally insane games are another.

Personally, i believe that increasing the "bad boy" points you get when DOWing or annexing would solve the problem. The player managed to conquer half of europe because he only had to fight an adversary at a time. Plus, the only serious opponent (Italy) had deployed most of its army in Africa when Yugo DOWed it the first time.

Imagine a game where Yugoslavia get's DOWed by all it's neighbours when it annexes Albania. Then, you would have a "realistic" result...

I think Yugoslavia's only chance for greatness should come through an alliance with a major power.

Non-histortical games are one thing, totally insane games are another.

I totally agree. We may leave the balance, but the AI should behave similar as in real life would behave most of countries. I mean if you do something you have to care about international opinion - OK, it is represented by belligerence, but it doesn't work as it should.

I would have to disagree with you on this point...
Being playable, and being able to do a WC are totally different.
I dont think there should be any way on normal settings that yugo should be able to do a WC alone :rolleyes: . Any decent minor should be a playable country, but not be able to be the sole ruler of the world.

The inability of the AI to react to different threats is another reason I'm waiting for the reviews to come in before I buy this game (hoi3 is the main reason I'm waiting). Because of the strick AI files there is not much flexibility in the AI's ability to counter different threats. Like hoi2, that will just detract from the longevity of the game for me.

I would have to disagree with you on this point...
Being playable, and being able to do a WC are totally different.
I dont think there should be any way on normal settings that yugo should be able to do a WC alone :rolleyes: . Any decent minor should be a playable country, but not be able to be the sole ruler of the world.

The inability of the AI to react to different threats is another reason I'm waiting for the reviews to come in before I buy this game (hoi3 is the main reason I'm waiting). Because of the strick AI files there is not much flexibility in the AI's ability to counter different threats. Like hoi2, that will just detract from the longevity of the game for me.

It is not a matter of AI but a matter of diplomacy design and given the HOI2 design it's just a matter of set up. As somebody already pointed out it would suffice to increase the hostility of neighbouring countries if you have a so aggressive behaviour. That means you will be attacked by your neighbours if you try such bold moves.

Last edited:
As ever one of the reasons things like this can happen is that the game allows you to walk up with your entire army and launch an assault with about a weeks worth of preparation, and noone will take advantage of your lack of defenses elsewhere nor do anything whilst you gobble up minors. There are however, easy fixes in both house rules (no removing all your divisions from the border with Italy for example) and setup tweaks (such as no German guarantee of Yugoslavia, Allied guarantees on the Balkans, Balkan guarantees of eachother). Basically the problem is that mounting a full-scale invasion as a minor has none of the consequences it should have, but this could easily be rectified. I imagine increasing hostility too as Cardus suggests would help as well.

As ever one of the reasons things like this can happen is that the game allows you to walk up with your entire army and launch an assault with about a weeks worth of preparation, and noone will take advantage of your lack of defenses elsewhere nor do anything whilst you gobble up minors. There are however, easy fixes in both house rules (no removing all your divisions from the border with Italy for example) and setup tweaks (such as no German guarantee of Yugoslavia, Allied guarantees on the Balkans, Balkan guarantees of eachother). Basically the problem is that mounting a full-scale invasion as a minor has none of the consequences it should have, but this could easily be rectified. I imagine increasing hostility too as Cardus suggests would help as well.

Yes, this could easily rectified

I was enjoying the AAR until all the arguements broke out ...

This is a game so I am not opposed to some fantastic what-ifs. I don't think there exist outside the Pentagon or somesuch "defense" organizations in other major nations, a program that comes close to matching military results and RL - AND those programs often fail to see special tactical problems posed by countries/groups fighting outside the box.

How many times have we read about a War College playing out their grand schemes of what they believe is RL and "Judges" would rule against an unexpected result as being unrealistic when a later conflict proved the "Judges" were full of misconceptions.

In this particular case, Yugo was too fractured to stage the type of conquest displayed in the AAR - that would be general consensus,

but how much less were the Scots' resistance to Britian rule compared to some of the Yugo fractional fighting? It took a while (granted quite a while) but the Brits forged the Scots into being some of their best troops. Who is to say the Serbs could not have turned out some terrific Muslim war brigades given a couple of different turns of the card?

Its just a game - please carry on with the AAR.

After reading some of the early posts in this AAR, I decided it would be a lot of fun to try to do the same thing, and divert after conquering Italy.

After annexing Albania, I waited... and waited... instead of declaring war on me, Italy actually influenced me up to +200, and kept influencing me to keep it there. I instead went after Greece when the independence guarantees were up, and both the Axis _and_ the Allies declared war on me, and I got steam-rolled, hahah.

Interesting how different the AI plays across similar games.

I do not clearly understand the purpose of the debate... If you are looking at such reaction from the AI, just increase its aggressiveness and it will stop you before you can conquer the world ;)
I mean I almost feel bad for the writer of this AAR... If you do not like it, no need to express yourself so loud about the AAR and then deriving with an overall critic on AoD while people had spent much time and energy on it.
Cheers guys :)

You inspired me to start playing Yugoslavia too. Things went well until I ended the second war against Italy, leaving them in Rome and Africa. Then, my luck turned bad. Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Austria decided to join the Axis. WW2 started 1 and half years earlier, so I was able to attack the Axis because they were at war with the Commitern and the Allies. I managed to annex Hungary within 2 weeks. Then, I defended myself for a month or two. Then I annexed Greece ( using 1 division and 1 transport ship ) and Bulgaria was next. Romania was pupetised by the Soviet, so I didn't have to keep any of my troops east. Currently, I am struggling to hold the front at the Czechoslovakian border.