• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes. In HOI2 the AI never declared war if the country they were guaranteeing the independence of was "out" of the game.
It would be claryfing to know if in this AAR, Albania was just occuppied and not annexed, in order to produce a delcaration of war from Italy.
If it's the case, then GOI work the same way as they did in HOI2.
If Albania was annexed by the time Italy dow'ed... now we are rocking!

Albania was not annexed until after Italy declared war.

I never understood the logic behind Germany GOI-ing Yugoslavia to begin with.

Since pretty much the only nation likely to ever attack YUG in the late 1930's is Italy, the only effect of the German GOI is to trigger completely implausible Italo-German wars.

Italy and Germany at war in hoi2 should only result from one or the other attacking Austria. Anything else would have made absolutely no sense at the time for either country and having it happen in the game serves only to add a little dash of hoi3 inanity to the proceedings.

(All that said, I understand the purpose of the AAR in terms of lighting off the late 1930's Balkan wackiness. I have had some fun games doing that. But after, of course, manually removing Germany's GOI to YUG.)

Really a British GOI of Yugoslavia makes a hell of a lot more sense than having Germany with one. And while they're at it the UK should be GOI-ing Greece, if they are not already.

The Second Italian War - February 12, 2010
In the interwar period I continued to build up my forces. No other countries entered the war. In January of 1939 I changed my government to Fascist which opened up some new national ideas. I changed two ministers and two national ideas giving me a total of 14 dissent. When the peace treaty with Italy expired on February 21st 1939 I was ready to continue my attack.

screensave21.png

With most of Italy's armies in Greece and Turkey I was able to easily overrun the Italian Peninsula. Italy refused to move its navy away from Sicily which prevented me from crossing the strait. It also placed a fleet just outside of the Adriatic Sea trapping my transports and ending any hope of annexing Italy during this war. Naturally Greece happened to be holding the only two provinces I could attack Italy through plus one victory point province. As tempting as suing for peace and just letting Italy annex Greece and Turkey is, it's probably not a good idea. Italy likes to declare war on the Soviet Union when it is at war with Germany regardless of whether Italy is allied with Germany. The Soviet Union blocking my path to India would put a serious damper on my world conquest bid.

screensave22.png

Since Greece refused to allow me military access to save it from Italy, I had no choice but to form an alliance with Greece.

screensave23.png

With access to Greece I was able to help Greece and Turkey expel Italy from their lands. Meanwhile, Germany formed the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact with the Soviet Union and attacked and annexed Poland. The Allies did nothing.

screensave24.png

With Italy defeated once again, I began moving my armies back home so I could end my alliance with Greece. Italy offered me a peace agreement that included Sicily and some of North Africa. I decided to take it because it would allow me to finally annex Italy in the next war without having to deal with its fleet.

screensave25.png

Yeah, "Draa" is clearly a typo.

Actually, it means who ever added him tried using the "ž" character, and the game dosen't recognise it.

I know when I suggest teams, I code them with all the accented characters, and later in a test someone sees what is recognized, and what isn't.
This guy must have escaped attention.

Good to see the Germans kept going even after a war with Italy. :)

Very very nice!

I truly need to grab breeches, crusher cap and jackboots among few other items and brush the dust, oil the leather and wait for 23.2. I am that hyped about AoD currently. :p

(too bad those items mentioned are all real DDR militaria rather than WW2 german ones, but shit happens :p)

Hmm, this might have been asked before, but can you zoom the map with the mouse scroll? My numpad is broken.

Yes, you can.

Now, if they would only add the option to set central mouse button to "Pause" we could do everything just with the right hand... (hmm, I realize this sentence could be easily misunderstood :D )

This is why I like Hearts of Iron, yeah sure I want a game that can play WWII out but like to me HoI is a sandbox type game, I mean, you're telling me that people play HoI as France, knowing they will lose when the Germans invade in 1940?

This AAR is a perfect example of possibly unplausible scenarios but they are completely fun.

In particular I'm liking the fact that the AI is much more prone to sea invasions. Makes things fun, and more interesting for that matter.

Really looking forward towards the 23rd of this month, AoD is looking like what I wanted HoI III to be, the only thing I could have wanted more in AoD is more provinces.

Why didn't the Anschluss and Munich happen?

Also, if I were Hungary or Romania I would dow you the moment you dowed Italy. No garrison on the borders. What nation leaves its borders unprotected? It feels gamey.

On a sidenote, I don't like the icons for land, air and naval forces on the upper left side. Looks like one of those crappy graphical mods.

Really looking forward towards the 23rd of this month, AoD is looking like what I wanted HoI III to be, the only thing I could have wanted more in AoD is more provinces.
And then for someone to port CORE to AoD :cool:

What happened between Turkey and Greece? Why is Greece still holding Thrace and a large chunk of Anatolia?