Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 66 of 66

Thread: Africa in Vicky 2

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    I know I do not understand history the way you guys do here, that's why I think it is far more historical to conquer the Matabele with 12 men and a machine gun instead of 40,000 men. There again I just don't get this history stuff at all.
    What about Dahomey, the Ashanti and the Saharan kingdoms and empires? They were obviously conquered with 12 men and a machine gun...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Ashanti_wars
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Franco-Dahomean_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Franco-Dahomean_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Medina_Fort
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samory_...ith_the_French

    A lot of these kingdoms were not a walk in the park.

  2. #62
    Part Time Game Designer King's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In Exile
    Posts
    12,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Prinz Wilhelm View Post
    What about Dahomey, the Ashanti and the Saharan kingdoms and empires? They were obviously conquered with 12 men and a machine gun...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Ashanti_wars
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Franco-Dahomean_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Franco-Dahomean_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Medina_Fort
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samory_...ith_the_French

    A lot of these kingdoms were not a walk in the park.
    Why not actually read the wikipedia articles you post?

    Look at these two again
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Franco-Dahomean_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Franco-Dahomean_War

    Look in particular at the number of troops involved and them compare these to the Franco-Prussian war. In particularWhile you are at it, why not remember that our smallest unit is 3,000 men and in the first war the French send less than half of that. Meaning it is not possible to actually simulate with our scale. Thus in Victoria 2 terms these kingdoms are walks in the park.
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Why not actually read the wikipedia articles you post?

    Look at these two again
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Franco-Dahomean_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Franco-Dahomean_War

    Look in particular at the number of troops involved and them compare these to the Franco-Prussian war. In particularWhile you are at it, why not remember that our smallest unit is 3,000 men and in the first war the French send less than half of that. Meaning it is not possible to actually simulate with our scale. Thus in Victoria 2 terms these kingdoms are walks in the park.
    I was debating your ignorant comment of 12 men and a machine gun, I wasn't stating that they were equal to the Franco-Prussian war. They were not walk in the parks for the colonial powers (which is also what I am getting at) and if the game can't represent that, then you need to work a bit on the combat model. At the day, you couldn't waltz into the jungles of Ghana with 40,000 men. The colonial powers of the day also treated these nations AS nations and negotiated and fought them. If you, by any chance however, still don't understand, I don't care. The fact you even bothered to mention the Franco-Prussian war says it all.

    You have the Zulus and Sokoto, but not the Toucoulour and the Ashanti. Weird.

  4. #64
    Field Marshal yourworstnightm's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tusen sjöars land
    Posts
    5,806
    Yeah, it's weird Madagascar can be included, when Bornu, Ashanti and Dahomey are ignored.
    general Otto Metzler in a Federation of Equals

    Maximilien Bellamy in "Edge of Europe"

  5. #65
    Part Time Game Designer King's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In Exile
    Posts
    12,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Prinz Wilhelm View Post
    I was debating your ignorant comment of 12 men and a machine gun, I wasn't stating that they were equal to the Franco-Prussian war. They were not walk in the parks for the colonial powers (which is also what I am getting at) and if the game can't represent that, then you need to work a bit on the combat model. At the day, you couldn't waltz into the jungles of Ghana with 40,000 men. The colonial powers of the day also treated these nations AS nations and negotiated and fought them. If you, by any chance however, still don't understand, I don't care. The fact you even bothered to mention the Franco-Prussian war says it all.

    You have the Zulus and Sokoto, but not the Toucoulour and the Ashanti. Weird.
    The 12 men and machine gun comment was an ever so slight tounge in cheek remark about how the difference between how colonial wars were and how the game would handle them if we used the country model. I am sorry you didn't quite understand that. We don't have to work on our combat model at all. All we need is to find a way to simulate the carving up of Africa in a fairly historical manner, we have one. I can't see why you are so upset about this and to be honest I don't really care that much. We have clear design goals of what we want to achieve with this game, within the development budget we have. As such not everyone will be satisfied with every design decision we make, that is how things are. If you want a game that deeply simulates the colonisation of africa then Victoria 2 is not the game for you.
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

  6. #66
    Victoria's Plastic Surgeon OHgamer's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    In Columbus OH, but dreaming of the White Isle.....
    Posts
    17,650
    Thread closed. Paradox have made their decision regarding this issue. The game is fully moddable, so those who disagree with the decision Paradox made will have ample opportunity to add in the content they feel should be included for their own personal use and, if they so desire, make such content available to the community as a whole. But as of now, the issue is closed.
    2014 will hopefully allow me to be more active with Paradox games than the last few years

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts