• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Landris: Thank you!

Malurous: Epic or disastrous.

Enewald: Not sure yet. I may wait for the free cores from Germany.

aldriq: Yup!

morningSIDEr: Thank you! Let me know if there's anything you want some insight into.

oddman: Heh. I try to keep 'em coming.

Duke of Wellington: Interesting is one way to put it. :)

Chapter 6: The Prussian Reconquest of Danzig and Warmia

The war plan: Knock Poland out of the War (which will keep Russia away), then circle back and nail Austria. Hrm...this plan has always worked so well for Germany...

April 14, 1714: Caesar leads a doomstack into Danzig and immediately wipes the first Polish army inside of a week.
p06abofdanzig.png

June 8: Since the first battle was so easy, the rest of the war will be that easy too, right? Unless, of course, the infantry runs out of morale and leaves the artillery to face cavalry alone...
p06abofwarmia.png

September 18: The southern army has assaulted its way to Plock, and shows why you leave war to professional generals. Austria is busy chewing through Saxony and Bavaria.
p06abofplock.png

October: NW Poland has fallen...but so has eastern Saxony. We hire a 6/6/6/1 general.

November 18: Our new general loses his first battle in Neumark to Austria as Franken falls to an Austrian assault. Not only did he lose, he took twice as many casualties. Granted, the Austrian General has 6 fire, but 1 shock.

November 28: Another Polish army dies. However, the Poles cling to the hope that the incoming Russian armies can save them, and that Austria can take my provinces faster than I can take Poland's. They may be right...
p06abofmazovia.png

December 9: The war so far. Poland has taken Memel (offscreen to the north), and one of my western provinces has fallen to rebels. France hasn't shown up.
p06awarmap.png

May 12, 1715: Both sides continue to push into each other's territories - the Prussian target is Krakow (CoT), and the Austrian target is all of Prussia. A Prussian army fails to stop a combined Austrian-Russian army at Poznan.
p06abofpoznan.png

November 4: German intelligence locates the French army, assaulting...Friesland. The Netherlands is in this war, although I hadn't noticed for an entire year, since they never bothered to invade. Thank god France did, and sent their entire army there. Whew, saved from the Dutch hordes!
p06afrencharmy.png

22 more French regiments are besieging Breisgau. And yes, that's a bunch of French regiments going the opposite direction of the Austrian army.

December 5: Munster declares war, using a Nationalism CB. If I lose an army, I'm in deep crap.

December 19: Polish and Russian armies are besieging my gains in Poland, so I wander back through to wipe their armies and get war score. 8000 Russians surrender in Mazovia, after seeing 24000 Prussians come.

February 4, 1716: With her armies shattered and half her country occupied, Poland finally cedes Danzig and Warmia. We get the awesome reward for our mission...10 prestige. OOoh.
p06apolandpeace.png

February 28: Thankfully, Russia is leading the war. Austria has occupied 13 provinces, Rebels have 4, and the Netherlands is blockading Northern France, Hamburg, and Bremen. France has managed to take Bresigau and one Dutch colony. Man, what would I ever have done without them?

The Russians, however, refuse to give peace.

July 10: Caesar keels over, leaving me a Regency Council.

July 29: An "Austrian victory" in Bamberg. I just don't have enough manpower and troops to expect to quickly retake my provinces, which means I'll be eating war exhaustion for lunch if I can't get peace.
p06abofbamburg.png

August 11: After wiping a couple of their small armies, the Russians finally decide to give Prussia peace, in exchange for our entire treasury of 1109 ducats. Austria gets...the joy of knowing that half of Prussia now has a personal vendetta against them.
p06arussiapeace.png

September 1: Whoops. Forgot to mint. I'm keepin' it real. :)
p06aloan.png

February 17, 1717: If I can't beat Austria, I can still kick a stupid minor to the curb.
p06amunsterpeace.png

Last edited:
Money will return, not a bad outcome overall. I just hope someone else doesn't decide to jump in while you're WE is high and MP low. You might have lost that battle in Bamberg but you did do some sweet damage to them at least.

BTW how do you find the time and energy to update so frequently in both AARs?

Money will return, not a bad outcome overall. I just hope someone else doesn't decide to jump in while you're WE is high and MP low. You might have lost that battle in Bamberg but you did do some sweet damage to them at least.

BTW how do you find the time and energy to update so frequently in both AARs?

Yeah - I was very worried that Poland would continue to hold out, and I'd be forced to only take Warmia (Danzig costs more due to the CoT), forcing a second war. I also was prepared to cede a province or two to Austria if necessary.

From 9 to 10/11, I have to get my 18 mo. son to sleep - he lays in my lap fighting sleep. Updating AARs is a good pastime for that.

Well done - you got out of a tight spot there with the gains you sought and only minimal damage. And as a bonus, Münster learned the perils of bilateral CB's :D

All in all, a courageous war. That's of course interesting for the reader. :)

Great update. Though that was a lot of money. :( But you'll get it back! :)

From 9 to 10/11, I have to get my 18 mo. son to sleep - he lays in my lap fighting sleep. Updating AARs is a good pastime for that.

That's the way to do it! Start teaching him how to play early! :cool:

Very tense stuff, makes for excellent reading.

Just watch out that rebels shall not be successful. Then just keep fighting the Austrians unto the very end, be it yours or theirs. :p

Russia led the war, hence why Austria got screwed. :)

aldriq: Yeah, I agree, though obviously I'd rather not have eaten all that WE.

Beamed: 1.) In all my AARs, I end up taking loans, usually because I forget to mint to avoid it. 2.) Proof I don't cheat or reload for mistakes.

Interlude: The world in 1717

A map of the world in 1717.

Chapter 7: Claiming the Dutch provinces

March 1, 1717: France sends the first insult. We get another in April, June, July, and September, at which point France breaks their alliance.

November 1: Albrecht IV rises to the throne, and our union with France is broken.
p07aalbrechtiv.png

Now we are surrounded by:
  • The Netherlands, who hate us
  • Spain, who hates us
  • France, who hates us
  • Austria, who hates us
  • Poland, who hates us
  • Sweden, who hates us
  • Denmark, who hates us

No problems! At least some people like us, right?
p07arelations.png

June 1, 1718: Austria now has a disputed succession as their heir has a weak claim. We start sending gifts to get an RM. A PU/Inheritance of Austria fits in our plans of uniting all German cultured provinces.

August 6: August Wilhelm is our new heir.

September 1, 1719: While burning off infamy, our Land tech hits 34, letting us pick between Grenzer, Caroline, and Line infantry. We pick Caroline, due to heavier offensive stats.

A look at the world's armies:

August 5, 1720: France cancels our Military Access. Our attempts to get Austria happy is stymied by a Diplo stat of 3 - we just now got Austria from -170 to above 0.

August 19, 1721: We pick up 2 Discipline advisors (4* and 3*) for 14% more discipline, bringing our discipline to 149%.

July 15, 1722: We take a slider move to Centralization, and lose stability.

August 4, 1723: RM with Austria.

October 1: We claim Austria's throne.

December 22: Austria DoW's Bavaria, using a Reconquest CB on Konstanz. Bavaria loses Konstanz and releases Ansbach within a month.

April 23, 1724: Switzerland cedes Schwyz to Austria.

May 10: The Ottomans declare war on Spain, using the Imperialism CB. Interesting.

July 22: DoW Netherlands using the Nationalism CB, since Dutch provinces are in the German culture group.
p07adownetherlands.png

August 29: The Dutch are whipped in Utrecht, and are wiped out in Holland 10 days later.
p07abofholland.png

February 5 , 1725: Not having learned from the last war, a Polish army is wiped out in Neumark.
p07abofneumark.png

May 29: Another Polish army surrenders after being chased through Danzig and Warmia.
p07abofostpreussenpng.png

December 1: Sweden has declared war on Poland, and has landed in Kurland.

January 1, 1726: Oldenburg gives us 131 ducats for peace.

January 21: Boundary Dispute in Metz.
p07abdmetz.png

March 7: We take Utrecht, Breda, and Friesland from the Netherlands, along with 725 ducats. This leaves the Netherlands with Holland and Zeeland in Europe.
p07anetherlandspeace.png

April 20: Sweden grabs Kurland, Samogita, and Trakai from Poland, giving us a border with them again. Crap.

September 1: We repay our loan, after forgetting to raise the money to pay it off last time.

November 1: Government 41: another idea. We take Smithian Economics. We also switch out Grand Army (which we started with) for Scientific Revolution, since we can afford the stabhit (we will get 1 stab/5 months.

November 25: Austria takes Slevig, Fyn, and Jylland from Denmark.

January 8, 1727: Austria's heir has died recently - if Josef I dies, we get a PU.
p07aaustria.png

May 22: DoW Spain to take the Spanish Netherlands from them. Spain has the world's largest army and military access through France (but 7 WE), however, only Austria is capable of doing anything to me. Thankfully, Austria stays out.
p07adowspain.png

No problems! At least some people like us, right?
p07arelations.png

Well, at least you have positive relations with Ethiopia - you should live another day.

January 8, 1727: Austria's heir has died recently - if Josef I dies, we get a PU.

Interesting development, for sure. A lot more "natural" target than France in this situation, even though the military numbers still show that you've got some work to do to keep it intact if you get it.

Well done working through the Netherlands.

Now you just have to deal with the Armada again. :)

Highest discipline in the game? :p
How could you get it still higher?

Can't take Militia Act (quality is too high)
3 6* advisors would do it, though. :)

Malurious: Yeah, I better gift 'em up to be sure. :) As for Austria, I'll go for inheritance to get their German provinces. I might spin Hungary off as a vassal...not sure. As for the Netherlands - they have way too little manpower to be able to compete with a mostly-unified Germany.

JDMS: "Nobody expects the Spanish Armada!" just doesn't have the same ring.