• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's one usage. I was playing as Genoa from 1399. I wanted a solid Black Sea Colony, so I went to grabbing eight total provinces. First I converted to Catholicism, then started settlement policies. I was obviously not going to be using my colonists elsewhere, so no big deal on their loss. I started with Crimea, and that converted in about 5 years (I was lucky). I haven't yet gotten to any others, but since it converted well before 1450, I'll definitely benefit from it long term (assuming I can hold the Crimea).

Settlement policy is good for getting rid of annoying "non accepted culture" penalties like in Wales or the Basque places. -30% tax and +1 RR are annoying, even if they are low tax. Plus, they can't defect if you're in a losing war.

But this way you don't have to leave your NF there the whole game. You need your NF to do stuff like build post offices (+.01 magistrate, +10% trade income), glorious monuments (+.5% prestige, -.05 infamy), canals (+20% trade income).

Yep i thought about that before too but by the time I am ready to move my nat'l focus to the next spot, meaning i made all my other prov decisions in that area and ready to improve another batch of provs... all wrong culture provs are usually auto converted. Not 100% of the time, sometimes it takes a little longer depending how many borders you are sharing with wrong cultures that can be converted etc, but for the most part its pretty fast...

(Knocks on wood as I'm sure I probably just jinxed myself)

When you enact the settlement policy, do the number of colonists sent have to outnumber the province population or is there a certain number that has to be reached? Some of these things seem to be fast and others take years.

Like missionaries I get the feeling that unless you reload or switch the game speed rather than play at a constant speed you could play the whole game with the hit and never be able to convert the culture.

I was playing as the Byzantines and it is a good job I do not plan to go to the new world as you get so few colonist per year and I use Innovative to speed up the tech research time. However once I have two settlement policies going then I have to wait something like 50 years before one finishes to get another 2 settlers and start again. It could take 400 years to convert 8 provinces at that rate and would leave me unable to move the national focus from Tangiers (I put a trade centre there to limit Castile)

I think next time as the Byzantine empire I will not bother with North Africa, to many poor provinces and being a Eastern culture military tech is to backwards to begin with. I think it is probably best to take Italy and the Balkans up to Austria for the Gold to get the bonuses then France if I can. I think I will try using the National focus instead as it does seem to spread faster when in the centre of a large nation rather than on the coast.

I think its to easy to change a province's culture and it happens to fast. once while playing as Holland, münster annexed Gelre and gelre became hannoverian in life 5 years!
Cultural pride?? i dont really know how that happened. and by the way wouldnt it be nice with a Batavian culture group? including Dutch, Flemish, Wallonian and maybe frisian?

Nice for some to be able to do that.

I once had a missionary that converted a whole province in 12 days.

It must be on random calculation happening to his that numerical variable in the pattern when the program asked for that event. (There is no such thing as a random number when computers are involved, it is just how the calculation is entered, such is the way programing works)

It seems that most of the time we are doomed for a long wait.

what if... the peasants and nobility in the province had different culture? nah. anyways i think people (ingame that is) give up their cultural heritage and religion way to easy. and cant cultures be tied to a religion? like catholic waloons? what im saying is that when the reformation occurs all pommerianian will be protestant, unless half of them are controlled by a narrowminded country. just throwing ideas at you:)

Remember origional install of EU III, you could not change cultere at that point or move your capital. How irritating it was playing Trebizond without being able to move to Rome or Constantinople and also despite the city just being taken it was Turkish already.

I am happy with the way it changes the culture (which at least imporves tax yields) and missionaries I only want to see the progress rather than keep it feeling random.

I think they could use a formula, much like the research formula to calculate province assymilation. Variables being distance from other culture point, national focus, population size, core province, accepted religon, proximity to competing national focus.

Can your national focus change the culture of a neighbouring province?

no, national focus only affects you, exept the cb. but what i mean is that if a culture is accepted it shouldnt be changed. but if you kinda want to get rid of them, like byzantium ridding turkey of turks, cant one just take say 30% of pop from one greek province and put them in turkish prov. and murder or remove the turks? seriously im not being racist now, its just an example.

EDIT: i bet there was some racial supremacist in the 1400's who killed lots of people, so its plausible?

Last edited:
I suppose I can let you get away with that as it is colonising much the same as happened in America. Besides the Byzantines did it before during the Macedonian era sending Slavs to colonise the areas in Anatolia, also utilising the Theme system to do such things.

However I still prefer using it as the national focus. I feel that there should be a speed bonus for the assymilation of culter with free citizens, however with the cost of revolt risk. I think that if you do colonise the area it works the same way as it does now with infamy.

BTW, when you take over a province which has the ESP going on the culter will turn to yours. Has anyone seen it go to your culture when under occupation in a war?

There actually is a conversion speed bonus granted by -2 serfdom and a penalty with +1 FS.
@Legend: no, but if you occupy a province with a manufactory, you get its tech bonuses.

no, national focus only affects you, exept the cb. but what i mean is that if a culture is accepted it shouldnt be changed. but if you kinda want to get rid of them, like byzantium ridding turkey of turks, cant one just take say 30% of pop from one greek province and put them in turkish prov. and murder or remove the turks? seriously im not being racist now, its just an example.

EDIT: i bet there was some racial supremacist in the 1400's who killed lots of people, so its plausible?

Hello from Turkey (from thrace, to be more precise), actually, it is a very good idea, and Ottoman Empire has made use of it during the 14th century, forcing turkish peasants to settle in around macedonia and serbia, to convert the dominant culture. However, I think that this ability should depend on the type of government, culture group, etc. like the colonization advantages of catholics.

Hello from Turkey (from thrace, to be more precise), actually, it is a very good idea, and Ottoman Empire has made use of it during the 14th century, forcing turkish peasants to settle in around macedonia and serbia, to convert the dominant culture. However, I think that this ability should depend on the type of government, culture group, etc. like the colonization advantages of catholics.

I've heard that suggesting Turkey (or previous incarnations of it) committed any sort of wrongdoing can get you in legal trouble in Turkey. Is that true? I'm a bit skeptical, but I'd hate to see you get in trouble for providing historical tidbits. :)

National focus does the same thing as enact settlement policy??? I did not know that national focus could put your culture on an island where it did not previously exist.

I looked it up and says the following things can cause assimilation: 1. borders your culture, 2. COT, 3. capital. It says nothing about national focus.

Last edited: