+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Enact Settlement Policy?

Enact Settlement Policy?

What am I missing here???

Why would I ever want to do this? Seems like all the effects are really horrible...

it increases the chance of that region becoming your culture and thus significantly reducing the revolt risk.

Weapon of Mass Obstruction antracer's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: Revolutions

Blog Entries
    IIRC it helps with spreading your culture into provinces that have other assorted cultures...

I am curious as to the exact effects and workings of this decision also.

Things like does a province lose the negative effects once culture changes, or are you stuck with them the rest of the game...?

Sort of negates the income gain from accepted culture if that be the case...

T

edit: RR reduction is the only reason to use it...?
    RR will fall eventually on it's own, and there are many alternatives that work without cutting the throat of an otherwise good province...
    Last edited by antracer; 05-02-2010 at 12:27. Reason: Answer posted while typing...
    clik» :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR: «clik
    Voted Favorite EU Gameplay AAR:AARland Choice AwAARds 2009 Q4:Thank You...!!!
    Game Called Due To Rain (Actually, the rain was my tears falling on the failed MB and HD...)
    ───────────
    Winning Team Member : Werewolf LXXXI : Apprentice Turned Cultist
    Winning Team Member: Werewolf LXXXII : Major of the Gestapo(seer)
    ───────────
    Warning: Poster is getting Old and Crotchety. Please take all posts with a grain of Salt Substitute...

yup, the settlement_policy modifier is cancelled when the province assimilate. The event is as easy to read :

Code:
    #Settlement Policy
    province_event = {
    	id = 9461
    	trigger = {
    		has_province_modifier = settlement_policy
    	}
    	mean_time_to_happen = {
    		months = 600
    	}
    	title = "EVTNAME9461"
    	desc = "EVTDESC9461"

option = {
    		name = "EVTOPTA9461"
    		remove_province_modifier = settlement_policy
    		culture = THIS
    	}
    }

Weapon of Mass Obstruction antracer's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: Revolutions

Blog Entries
    Thanks much... Haven't begun to dig in HT³ yet.

Now I got one less thing to check out...

T
    clik» :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR: «clik
    Voted Favorite EU Gameplay AAR:AARland Choice AwAARds 2009 Q4:Thank You...!!!
    Game Called Due To Rain (Actually, the rain was my tears falling on the failed MB and HD...)
    ───────────
    Winning Team Member : Werewolf LXXXI : Apprentice Turned Cultist
    Winning Team Member: Werewolf LXXXII : Major of the Gestapo(seer)
    ───────────
    Warning: Poster is getting Old and Crotchety. Please take all posts with a grain of Salt Substitute...

Are there any prerequisites for having this decision show up in your provinces (other than not having your culture)?
    [] "The more a country produces, the richer it is, the better it should take care of its people." - Dr. Aleida Guevara []

And yes, changing the culture will negate the original wrong-culture penalties to things like tax/manpower/revolt risk.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaStPauli View Post
    Are there any prerequisites for having this decision show up in your provinces (other than not having your culture)?
    It has to be affected by the National Focus.

Oki good thanks for the info... the second question then, do you actually use it? and under what circumstances? I can see it more relevant on a new island or so where your culture could never spread otherwise? On mainland Europe where you already have some 3 provinces bordering it ou would expect to get the change for free?

just some thoughts....

Yeah, it's a nice flavor decision for when you have a stable empire. One thing that might be a bit gamey, but I like to do anyway, is to make sure I have a good network of basetax 8 provinces with the state culture to get the glorious monument decision (with awesome +0.5 prestige -0.05 BB )

See also
    http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Provincial_decisions
    (which I typed up recently, so if you see flaws or things that are lacking, please comment)

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    One idea would be to plop it on CoT provinces while waiting on them to core.

The flag modifier is terrible. You'll loose roughly 28 colonists with each enactment of this decision.

2+600/12*0.5 = 27
    But you are right, it is not a very colonization friendly decision.

Que Si What?

Could you let me in on this? What are you refering to?

The main reason to use it is to spread your culture to areas where it can't spread by normal means. Normal culture spread can only affecting neighboring provinces, so if you have any sizable area that isn't connected to your nation by land provinces (such as british control of india, or taking over japan or something), then you can use settlement policy on one province in that area to seed your culture there, and from that one province it can spread on it's own.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India CompanyDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I had no idea of what this was at first either. The tooltip only tells you the immediate impact not the possible outcome. I learned only through trial. I experimented with one of my Indian provinces. Luckily it converted right away so I learned and quickly tried out my other sites that it was available.

Paradox QA Paradox Dev Team ForzaA's Avatar
    200k club500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quetzilla View Post
    from that one province it can spread on it's own.
    It's also quite a lot faster than the 'regular' spread.

CoTs, and 8+ basetax provinces (for the monument mentioned before) can be good targets.. But if you're playing a colonising game, I wouldn't bother.
    Error in war on error on line 1.

i guess i am just unlucky... i never use this feature.

In fact i have never EVER been able to get it to work which is why I never use it. 100s of years and its just a constant BB hit is kinda lame...

You can move your national focus and get the same effects over a spread of bordering provinces at the same time and get much quicker results without any BB hit...

Another thing that s*cks is when you are at war and hold an enemy prov that has enabled that decision YOU take the AI's BB hit for trying to culturally convert it because you hold (not own) the prov.

Its broken in that regard, and pretty useless otherwise but just in my expereince.

Private
    Arsenal of DemocracyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossSemper FiEuropa Universalis IV

so if there is a war and I use it on a border province which I will not defend does it mean that AI will get all those problems when they will control it?

In theory yes, but i never checked if it works both ways.

I assume it would work the same way, but no guarantee they wouldn't just cancel it and take a -10 prestige hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Praaktis View Post
    i guess i am just unlucky... i never use this feature.

In fact i have never EVER been able to get it to work which is why I never use it. 100s of years and its just a constant BB hit is kinda lame...

You can move your national focus and get the same effects over a spread of bordering provinces at the same time and get much quicker results without any BB hit...

Another thing that s*cks is when you are at war and hold an enemy prov that has enabled that decision YOU take the AI's BB hit for trying to culturally convert it because you hold (not own) the prov.

Its broken in that regard, and pretty useless otherwise but just in my expereince.
    I am hardly pressed to sign a peace treaty when the enemies have multiple provinces with settlement policy enacted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast