• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To defend the borders of the Empire where-ever needed. :p
Or fight the infidel!
To Jerusalem!
Call a crusade!

Creating the KoJ would be a noble goal. :D

Great war, though it bites that you weren't able to get anything out of them.

Given how bad the French situation was, and that they were the alliance leaders in both wars, the surprise is more that they didn't actually have to concede anything in that situation.

"Creating" KoJ, not "forming" KoJ.

Either way, though, with no navy, this would involve getting access from too many infidel nations, not least the OE.

Or if you can't get access just declare war on everyone on your way :p.

Old crusader style. I love it. :rofl:
And accidentally visit Hagia Sofia while you are travelling, and Rome is possibly also on the route methinks.
Lisboa cannot be too far off-route, can it? :p

The Reign of Philipp Wilhelm I von Wittelsbach

Another day at the office for the HRE

With peace came some other minor developments:
1458reports1.jpg

Despite land reforms in the other provinces, München proves to be quite the attraction for the Bavarian peasants.

As the Bavarian people settled in for, at last, some period of peace, yet another interesting report found its way to Philipp's desk.
FERwar1A.jpg

An interesting aside to the resultant declaration of war develops.
FERwar1B.jpg

Will the French come to regret this decision?

Having marched to the north and the west, the liberating armies of Bavaria now find themselves marching to the Italian south.
FERwar1C.jpg

Meanwhile, in the south, Morocco decides that Castile is now weak enough for the North African alliance to counterattack.
1458reports2.jpg

1458reports3.jpg

Oops. On the bright side, Morocco themselves manage to escape with a white peace.

The Italian campaign is concluded fairly quickly:
FERwar1D.jpg

Unexpectedly, Bavaria now had its first coastal province. Would this be a future launching pad for Bavarian naval glory - or would this be a Mediterranean holiday pad for the Bavarian nobles? Only time would tell.

Traitorous French! :mad: Are they weak enough for Bavaria to take them on her own?

It's probably a couple of updates away, but let's just say that France needed Bavaria more than Bavaria needed France.

(Sorry, can't update until I'm at home, so I'm only commenting for now.)

Hey why are you recommending to release our holiday province? :mad:

because it is a holiday province and they need the local manpower to work serving Bavarian nobles on holidays, that cannot happen if you send all the men living and working there to fight the French in some far away cold northern province. :D

Another day at the new office for the HRE

With Bavaria enjoying its first extended period of peace since Philipp ascended to the throne, the new Mediterranean retreat for Bavarian royalty found immediate use.

Even in Modena, though, reports found their way to Philipp, as while he was content to leave every-day administration to his palace staff, his habit of gathering intelligence persisted.

In the west, the encirclement of France continued apace:
1459-61reports1.jpg

Meanwhile, domestically, Bavaria experienced relatively minor but significant developments:
1459-61reports2.jpg

The Teutonic Order continued to experience the repercussions of waging war against the HRE:
1459-61reports3.jpg

Once-proud Muscowy finds itself in an unfamiliar situation:
1459-61reports4.jpg

Which is then quickly compounded within a few months:
1459-61reports5.jpg

For Philipp, diplomacy was little more than the public face of espionage. Diplomats were enticed to the Bavarian court, as Philipp, energised by his Mediterranean holiday, returned to continue his machinations.
1459-61reports6.jpg

1459-61reports7.jpg

As Philipp settled back into his office at München, an aging piece of parchment was brought to his attention. Apparently addressed to Albrecht, the writing had faded with age, but Philipp could still make out something about a... mission of some sort.

While Philipp had never been one for goal-setting, he did rather dislike unfinished business. Granted, it wasn't his unfinished business, but it was still Bavaria's unfinished business, all the same.

ALSwar1A.jpg

Forgot to take a screenshot before I completed the thing, but it's the same mission left over from the last reign, to vassalise Alsace. The subjugation CB was long gone, though.

Forgot to take a screenshot before I completed the thing, but it's the same mission left over from the last reign, to vassalise Alsace. The subjugation CB was long gone, though.

Awww. I thought you left it as a cliffhanger on purpose.

Back in the HRE

With the declaration of war against Alsace, Bavaria and her vassals marched to war once again. As war approached, another promising young Bavarian officer rose to generalship. Philipp, as always, was himself firmly ensconced in München while he sent the armies of Bavaria marching around Europe.
ALSwar1B.jpg

As the armies on both sides moved into position, another neighbour found itself in a crisis.
1461-2reports1.jpg

Alsace react forcefully to the declaration of war...
ALSwar1C.jpg

but find themselves quickly overwhelmed.

Meanwhile, in the north, Hesse's advancing armies are stopped rapidly in their tracks as Luitpold Satzenhofen continues the recent tradition of excellence in the Bavarian general staff.
ALSwar1D.jpg

Alsace's single province falls rapidly.
ALSwar1E.jpg

Through the deft machinations of Philipp's spy corps, the 'mission' had somehow achieved a level of acceptance amongst the various courts of Europe. While few, if any, actually saw it as a legitimate subjugation casus belli, the impact on Bavaria's foreign relations was significantly dampened.
ALSwar1F.jpg

Following the success of this promotion of a 'mission', Philipp's diplomatic and administrative staff gained greater confidence and experience. Not wanting to waste this momentum, Philipp issued a directive to further enhance Bavarian's standing in Europe and the world.
1461-2reports2.jpg

Further in east, Muscowy's fall from grace ends in the worst possible way.
1461-2reports3.jpg

With the massed armies of Bavaria's vassals in the HRE swarming Austria, the eastern front of the way had been surprisingly uneventful for the Bavarian forces as Austria found herself too busy defending her lands to launch any meaningful attack on Bavarian lands. Satzenhofen was dispatched to prove himself further on the battlefield, and did not disappoint as he soundly defeated the remaining Austrian forces, led personally by the Habsburg king.
ALSwar1G.jpg

The HRE gained two more members, as the Hapsburg king bitterly regretted his decision to involve Austria in this war. Austria influence was to be fatally weakened by the peace settlement.
ALSwar1H.jpg

Hesse, which had for some odd reason been the alliance leader over Austria, were reduced to becoming yet another vassal state of the Emperor.
ALSwar1I.jpg

The level of success in this war surprised even Philipp, as one dangerous neighbour had now been decisively, permanently de-fanged. Poland in the east had troubles of their own to handle, and only Burgundy in the west posed an immediate threat.

Nevertheless, Philipp had little desire to further expand his forces to match Poland's numbers. An alternative direction was sought.
1461-2reports4.jpg

God, apparently, had something of a penchant for ironic humour.