• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry guys, turns out I got this turn in an exceptionally bad time - a LOT of time-consuming IRL stuff (no worries, mostly positive) has come up lately and I've had limited free time at home.

However, everything seems to be sorted out now, and I expect no further delay. The next update will be up tomorrow or Monday.

Sorry guys, turns out I got this turn in an exceptionally bad time - a LOT of time-consuming IRL stuff (no worries, mostly positive) has come up lately and I've had limited free time at home.

However, everything seems to be sorted out now, and I expect no further delay. The next update will be up tomorrow or Monday.

Good to hear that.

Good to see that someone is sticking with this thing. Let's just hope there is someone ready and willing to play after Malurous.

I certainly am, though, as I explained, it's taking me a lot longer than I'd like. :eek:o Still, I figured that staying with it and taking a bit longer is an upgrade over what this thread was lately, so I decided not to bow out despite the situation I was in.

May I continue it? :D

Sure, as far as I'm concerned. I believe you were up a while ago so I suppose your turn should still be available to you.

Update in a couple of minutes!

Friedrich I - Chapter Three

Protecting the weak - from themselves

The next couple of years would be seen as quiet moments in Bavarian history. Quiet, however, didn't necessarily mean peaceful: while expansionist wars weren't possible given Bavaria's standing in the world, Friedrich still had his duties towards his brothers in faith as well as his allies.

The Irish had already been waiting for Bavarian help for a couple of months by the time the Portuguese war ended, and only nine days after the Portuguese peace Friedrich had to promise his help to ally Wallachia. Wallachia started an Imperialistic war with Crimea (Friedrich laughed at the idea that the Wallachians thought of their nation as an empire), and the Mamluks, Sibir and Chagatai joined in as Crimean allies.

bav7_1.jpg

Wallachia is not only an ally, but a permanent "military base" for our troops to help keep the Serbians honest.

This war would prove to be entirely inconsequential. None of the enemies had anything Friedrich wanted, and early on, Bavaria (or Wallachia, for that matter) didn't even have a clear border with the Crimeans because of Polish armies controlling the Crimean border area. Therefore, Friedrich could only campaign against the Mamluks. Their nearby provinces were occupied by the Bavarians by May 1703.

bav7_2.jpg

These are horrible provinces, not something we want especially with a very high Infamy.

The Swedish, who led the Polish alliance against the Crimeans, had recently made peace, so Bavaria could cross the border in that area as well. By May 1704, Bavaria had occupied Cherson, Crimea and Azow. That is when Wallachia made peace with the Crimeans for the whopping sum of ten ducats.

bav7_3.jpg

Nothing I could gain out this war - I can't negotiate with Crimea or the Mamluks because Wallachia is the alliance leader because they are the aggressors. Not that it matters as neither Crimea nor the Mamluks have anything to give.

Friedrich had now made sure that Wallachia stayed safe, so he negotiated a white peace with enemy alliance leader Chagatai.

Protecting the weak - from the not quite as weak but still pretty damn weak

Meanwhile in Ireland, Friedrich's belief that the strong fort at Meath would hold long enough for the Portuguese war to end turned out to be true. The 12000 infidel soldiers of Munster had gotten nowhere in their siege when 15000 good Bavarian Catholics landed in November 1702 to relieve the Irish. The fight was a resounding success.

bav7_4.jpg

The Bavarian forces spread out to siege, and by June 1703 the capital Munster as well as the northeastern province of Ulster had fallen. Friedrich could force his peace terms on the enemy.

bav7_5.jpg

One less infidel.

The next year and a half passed with little major developments. Bavaria did end up in a phony war against Adal, following ally Ethiopia in an offensive war, but Friedrich felt no obligation to intervene in the dealings of two African tribes.

However, in December 1705 Friedrich got some good news and a cunning plan for further expansion began to unfold...

Miscellaneous events

The National Focus was moved to newly acquired Beira, catching most of the richer Portuguese provinces.

bav7_6.jpg

In January 1703 we reached Land Tech 36 to enable Arme Blache Cavalry, a nice upgrade. Some other techs got to the next level as well.

I actually minted a little bit to fund our lavish building projects. No harm: we are running away with tech so a little minting is okay.

Unlike in some other AAR, the rebellions caused little harm here.

A move to further centralize the Bavarian government lead to a loss of stability. This was quickly corrected.

During the time covered in this update, Vilna, Pskov, Finistère, Provence and Polotsk were converted to the true faith, leaving only three (EDIT: two, actually) non-Catholic Bavarian provinces by the end of 1705.

The colonies, Suriname and Cameroon, cored in late 1703.

Late in 1703, Poland ended up in a Personal Union under Milan. This wasn't optimal; Friedrich would have liked to easily pluck the Milanese European province at some point, while a war with Poland would be more of a major undertaking (and one with little to gain since only the Milanese could be negotiated with). Still, it is only a nuisance.

In 1704, Manchu warned us. That's probably because they had gotten a border with us near our Asian province, Aceh.

bav7_7.jpg

In the beginning of 1705, Portugal decided that their future was in the colonies and moved their capital to Lima. Friedrich saw this as abandoning Europe - he'd have to find a way to benefit of this.

bav7_8.jpg

Reclaiming our core in León is a goal anyway, so now we can also go for the wealthy Lisboa. Of course, it remains to be seen if the Portuguese are willing to budge without attacking their colonies, and there's some truce time to run out first anyway.

Anton Lechner, the Grand Marshal, had done a great job strengthening the Habsburg legitimacy. This was certainly welcome as there had been serious issues with this.

bav7_9.jpg

Great timing. Thanks to this, legitimacy is closing in on 50 by the end of the year. Coupled with getting our Infamy to under 5 from the earlier heights, we should be ready for action soon.

Last edited:
I certainly am, though, as I explained, it's taking me a lot longer than I'd like. :eek:o Still, I figured that staying with it and taking a bit longer is an upgrade over what this thread was lately, so I decided not to bow out despite the situation I was in.

Yes, don't worry about how long it takes. Slow action is better than no action.

Yes, don't worry about how long it takes. Slow action is better than no action.

Yeah that's what I figured, thanks for the reassurance. The pace should pick up now anyway. :)

Conquer everyone who is left to conquer! :cool:

Now that would be a bit rude to the next players, wouldn't it? ;) I'm just going to follow my artistic vision instead and make Europe's map prettier (at least the diplo map, the political one might be a lost cause barring going on a rampage).

I have an update almost ready and will post today or tomorrow, depending on how my playing ahead goes.

I'm just happy we have remained as Bavaria. :)

I'm just happy we have remained as Bavaria. :)

Yup, even though that's the reason why the political map is a lost cause! :rofl:

Update in a couple of minutes.

Friedrich I - Chapter Four

Killing time by making Germany Bavarian and Bavaria Catholic

By the spring of 1706 Friedrich I was quite bored. The phony war against Adal didn't look pretty even by tribal standards - the now OPM Adal was sieging one of Ethiopia's provinces while the larger Ethiopian army was content to stand around elsewhere in the country. Friedrich decided to seek a white peace as soon as possible to avoid having the Ethiopians make Bavaria look stupid.

So while waiting for white peace there and, more importantly, for their multitude of truces to end, Bavaria's military needed something else to do. Friedrich decided that it was time to correct the only blemish in the central area of the empire: Saxony. Military access was canceled in February and a Nationalistic war declared in late March.

The war was simple. With Bavarian troops already in place in Dresden, Leipzig was only a couple of days away. The meager force there was easily destroyed and, after just 21 days of siege, a combined force of Bavarian and vassal soldiers stormed the fort. On May 3rd, peace was signed.

bav8_1.jpg

We had only 3.9 Infamy before this so it wasn't a problem any more. Taking truces into account, any major war would have taken long enough for us to pretty much reach zero, so this was an efficient addition.

This brought all of Germany under Bavarian control. Salzburg was the only free nation in the vicinity and even they had been a loyal and permanent ally for a long time.

bav8_2.jpg

Meanwhile, Riga had converted to the true faith in February and Mogilyov approved of the German dominance by converting only three days after the peace. This meant that all of Bavaria was now Catholic. While this was unlikely to last, it was a cause for joy.

A war with Portugal of even greater consequence

In the end of 1705, Friedrich had received news that a dispute over Iberian maps gave Bavaria a claim on Toledo. Many of the surrounding areas were Bavarian, and some believed that the old borders should include Toledo.

bav8_3.jpg

Seems like an opportunity to get some better gains from what I'm looking to do... The plan is to beat up Portugal, then DoW Castille (guaranteed by Portugal) before making peace with the Portuguese so I can catch Castille alone and get stuff for cheap.

Friedrich, however, believed that Portugal should be the priority. The truce was scheduled to end on August 1st, 1707 and Friedrich intended to declare war immediately. Therefore, the early summer saw the Bavarian army and navy getting into position all over the world to attack Portugal as well as hold Bavarian territory. Additionally, the Portuguese administration was infiltrated in late July. Most of the Portuguese army was still in Africa for some reason.

Portugal wasn't in the best possible shape even before the declaration. With stability problems and a lot of rebels in South America, Africa was the only front which could prove a bit problematic.

bav8_4.jpg

Low stability (not to mention war capacity) and only allied with OPM Galicia. And with a big part of that army in the northern part of West Africa, I hope to peace out before they even reach the front.

By September 19th the meager European forces of Portugal and Galicia had been wiped out. By the 26th the continental holdings were under siege, as well as the Baleares, with Bavarian vassals doing the work there.

bav8_5.jpg

La Mancha and Almería are besieged by Granada.

However, one province had already been occupied elsewhere. Bavarian troops in Africa wanted to do as much damage as possible before the Portuguese doomstacks arrived, so Calabar was immediately assaulted and occupied on September 13th. The nearest Portuguese forces were still only in Wasuju, and that wasn't a notable army.

bav8_6.jpg

The biggest doomstack is one or two provinces out of view at this point.

Lisboa was assaulted and occupied on October 10th. Bavarians wanted to make sure that Lisboa was available for taking in a quick peace deal if deemed necessary. By this time, vassals had occupied La Mancha and the Baleares.

On November 8th, the African troops occupied Bonny after an assault. They would not move on; with the Portuguese closing in, a strong force to defend Bonny was preferable over a risky taking of another province. Meanwhile, notable Portuguese areas in South and Central America were under Bavarian siege.

Already by mid-November, Portugal was willing to give what Friedrich had originally sought.

bav8_7.jpg

However, the Bavarian plan for the follow-up was foiled when Great Britain guaranteed Castille in the nick of time. Friedrich decided against taking on the British in this type of war: any war against that nation would be to crush them, not someone else. Instead, Bavarians would further crush Portugal.

In the end of November, Sayultecas in Central America fell when about 20000 Zapotec soldiers were ordered to assault the fort. As time went on, Bavarians kept winning sieges and assaults while Portugal begged for peace.

By the end of the year, Alentejo was the only Portuguese province to stand. Friedrich coordinated an assault force to come in from nearby armies, and after the fort fell, the Portuguese were driven out of continental Europe on January 23rd, 1708.

bav8_8.jpg

I could afford the Infamy thanks to that great man event taking my legitimacy up to 70 already (Infamy limit up to 19 from 14 in the beginning of my turn). I decided to let Granada take their core Almería since that means being able to throw Portugal out. And they've been a help in sieging provinces both in Europe and South America anyway, so might as well thank them.

Miscellaneous events

In the very end of 1705, Sweden annexed their vassal Prussia. This wasn't ideal as a Swedish enclave wasn't exactly what Bavaria wanted.

bav8_9.jpg

The Teutonic Order disapproved of there being no Prussia and therefore decided to become Prussia themselves.

Siena and the new Prussia were added to the Bavarian Sphere of Influence with spare prestige before peace deals.

During this period large areas of South America defected from Castille to our Bavarian vassal Holland. That was of course a welcome development.

bav8_10.jpg

Most if not all of these provinces (earlier conquered by Castille) have defected in the last couple of years.

Iberia at the end of this update

bav8_11.jpg

Looking better! Of the new provinces, only three or so are good ones at this point, but Lisboa compensates somewhat as it's filthy rich (with coastal CoT and all). Besides, Portugal has gone from 14 provinces in this view to zero in less than five and a half years. As a bonus, our national focus catches two of the new provinces as well.

Now to mop all east of Russia...
What do you need to annex the HRE?

Nothing, really, just taking the two last HRE decisions. I didn't play this patch so I can only make the educated guess that it wouldn't be a problem at all. ;) I'm not going to do it as long as people think we should stay as Bavaria.

We'll see where we end up next - I've played ahead some and it's not crystal clear yet.

Alright, I'm finishing a game situation and have done a big portion of the update. Unfortunately, I have a pretty busy day tomorrow so I doubt I can finish it until Sunday or Monday. Anyway, expect something in this space in the next couple of days.

I'm in a war with a major again, but sadly Infamy is still pretty high and the discount suboptimal... I'll see if I'll stall for more gain or wait for a better spot.

EDIT: Gotta run and can't upload, so it will have to be tomorrow (Tuesday) instead.

Last edited:
I'm getting the sense that I can't get peace in this thing. That would be okay, or a good thing really, but with no room for the infamy and no chance to use CBs as I'm not doing the DoWing, I sometimes have to stall to let infamy go down. :mad:

Update in an hour or so.

Friedrich I - Chapter Five

The calm between the storms

The years after the war that kicked the Portuguese out of Europe were very quiet for Bavaria. Other nations were protesting how the Bavarians had handled Portugal and Friedrich I had to make sure to keep a low profile.

So instead, he concentrated on the economy and infrastructure of the country. Roads, post offices, canals and various governmental, manufacturing and military buildings were constructed in the newly acquired Portuguese lands. Early in 1709, further cultivation of the agriculture in the Cairo area increased taxes from that province.

After nearly three years of biding his time, Friedrich heard news from Sweden: it had lost control of the Prussian area it had annexed recently and Lithuanian nationalists had managed to re-establish their country in Wenden.

bav9_1.jpg

While the international community was still somewhat upset, they had calmed down sufficiently in the last couple of years for Friedrich to make a move on the breakaway province. Religious groups asked for the conversion of the new nation, but Friedrich managed to explain to them that the most foolproof way for conversion of the area was to add it to the Bavarian domain and send missionaries. In reality, of course, he simply wanted to expand his empire.

War was declared before Sweden could retake the province or other nations could establish diplomatic relations. Therefore, the only other "enemy" in this war was the Bavarian vassal Holland, the defender of the Reformed faith. While this naturally annoyed Friedrich, especially when a small Dutch force started sieging Bavarian Antwerpen, he decided to simply move enough troops to Wenden to quickly assault the lousy fort so a peace could be signed before the vassals killed each other too much. The Lithuanian army was handled easily enough.

bav9_2.jpg

Meanwhile, the king of Castille sent Friedrich a letter that notified the Bavarian king that his mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries. Friedrich was naturally insulted and wondered if Castille was planning a war. He also thought that the Castilian king originated from the wrong side of the Pyrenees to use such language.

After another Bavarian army arrived in Wenden, an assault was launched. It succeeded very quickly, and Lithuania tried to buy its way out of the war with a laughable offer of six ducats. Instead, Wenden was officially added to Bavaria on November 12th.

bav9_3.jpg

Really, the assault succeeded in the beginning of the month but the message got lost among other pop-ups so it took me a week to notice! :rofl: Happy to get rid of the enclave.

Suddenly, Holland sheepishly went back to the role of being a loyal vassal. Friedrich didn't let his emotions get the better of him here - as long as the Dutch tribute kept coming in and they eventually returned to the fold nicely, opening that can of worms wasn't appealing.

War with Castille

Less than a month later, on December 9th, Castille declared war on Bavarian ally Morocco. This wasn't exactly the war that Friedrich had planned: he had thought of bringing the Castilians down a notch, but this war wasn't on his terms. Notably, his vassals couldn't participate in this one as they weren't allied with Morocco.

bav9_4.jpg

The OPM Morocco will be difficult to save, but I'll hurt the Castilians where I can at such a short notice.

When reports on Castille came in, Friedrich questioned their sanity for going to war in such turmoil.

bav9_5.jpg

Stability -2, war capacity 0 %? Of course, the latter's what you get for fighting us, and the former for not being able to think of a CB. :confused: Our side of the alliance also has the Mamluks and the original target, Morocco.

Some deft espionage revealed that the largest Castilian forces were around their African capital, Gao, while significant troops were also stationed in Iberia and the Near East. However, in the latter two theaters they were outnumbered by Bavarians.

Thanks to the element of surprise, the Castilians were able to strike first: on Christmas Eve, the Bavarian provinces of Andalucia, León and Sinai were all under siege. However, within just over a month, all were relieved when Bavarian troops arrived. In the battles for those provinces, Castille lost over 17000 soldiers compared to less than 1500 Bavarian casualties. Only the Castilian army that had invaded Andalucia was able to stay operational until it was finally routed less than three months later.

Meanwhile, negotiations for military access through Portugal were, to Friedrich's surprise, easily successful. Evidently, the Portuguese were either thrilled to let Bavaria beat up on someone else for a change or afraid of the repercussions another choice might have had. The Bavarian army in Cameroon started a march towards the soft underbelly of Castille's main African holdings.

bav9_6.jpg

A lot of level 1 forts here and even the odd colony. With Castilian forces a bit to the north and most of them heading towards Morocco and Tunisia, I might be able to grab a good amount of land quickly here. Also in sight is my transport fleet that's sailing to the Mediterranean to haul some troops over it.

On January 31st, the first Castilian province fell. The Bavarian core Toledo was assaulted quickly to make sure that it could be integrated whenever peace was made. In February the Bavarian navy sunk some stray Castilian transports.

The Near East theater was showing nice progress with both Gaza and Damascus under siege by March 5th. Next, these armies would advance on the coast west of Egypt. Damascus would eventually fall in late July and Gaza in November.

On May 1st, Castille was ready to end the war, offering white peace. This would have saved Morocco so Friedrich contemplated it, but decided there's no way he'd end the war without territorial gains.

In June, the Bavarian transport fleet had picked up some men from Provence. Their first task was to relieve the Tunisian capital that was under Castilian siege. After that success, they were hauled towards Toubkhal where they could march to Marrakech to relieve Morocco. However, disaster struck late in August when Marrakech fell and the Bavarian ally was annexed by Castille. Bavarian troops were just weeks away from the city.

bav9_7.jpg

Friedrich was determined to avenge the Moroccan loss. A good start to that end had already happened two weeks earlier when all of Castille's Iberian holdings had fallen into Bavarian hands. The troops that were looking to save Morocco were shipped to Kabylia instead. Castille's Mediterranean fleet was in port in that province, so storming the local fort would force them out. This was successful - the fleet was completely sunk by October 24th.

bav9_8.jpg

Wow, gutsy effort by the Castilians, they even manage to sink one of Bavaria's ships! :eek: No surprise really, last time I checked some of our ships were ancient so they should be expected to drop like flies when fighting a decent sized fleet.

The Castilians were now ready to cede provinces, but Friedrich wasn't satisfied yet. He wanted some more territory as well as cash. This seemed realistic, as Castille was doing poorly on every front - even against the Tunisians at their common East African border.

bav9_9.jpg

These parts didn't look this good earlier - Tunisia lacks forts there so Castille could run over the provinces. However, turns out that Tunisia reached the Castilian army at some point and is now free to siege. In addition, Castille lost a colony to Persia nearby.

Early in December, the African army was challenged for the first time. At this point, they had already occupied four regular provinces and a colony.

bav9_10.jpg

The North African force continued wreaking havoc, occupying Constantine in November and Al-Djazair in March 1712. A second force was shipped to Ceuta - it was stormed in March.

The reason for hastily assaulting both forts was a Castilian doomstack that had finally marched north and was closing in on Al-Djazair. Friedrich was quite certain that it could defeat the Bavarian troops there. When it was also reported that overwhelming forces were nearing the southern army, Friedrich decided to take his money and run. Peace was signed on the 22nd, with the king continuing his policy of throwing people out of Europe.

bav9_11.jpg

Visible here are the peace deal and the liberated Fez. In this area, Castille effectively traded two provinces, one of which generated gold, for one in return in this war.

bav9_12.jpg

I added Gaza here. Granted, it's poor, but it connects two rather large Bavarian holdings.

bav9_13.jpg

And, as advertised, another nation thrown out of Iberia and Europe. Cadiz and Asturias are both decent provinces, but Toledo is the real prize here. It's a gold province, it's tax 8 and it's our core. As a whole, it seems that cleansing Iberia is Friedrich I's real forte, more than doubling our presence.

Miscellaneous events

During the Lithuanian war, a local economic boom in Oberlausitz provided Bavaria with a small sum of money.

A bit later, Bavaria's policy that centered around Europe led to a shortage of New World goods. This forced Bavaria to cut government investments.

Early in the Castilian war, a rather large amount of Aragonese Nationalists rose up in Barcelona - not bad timing, really, but unfortunately for them, Barcelona isn't that far from Toledo...

In addition to the previous Castilian provinces, Holland was now getting defected provinces from Portugal also.

In the beginning of 1712, Zeta, Hum and Albania cored, in addition to Polesia.

Some poor vintage jeopardized Bavaria's standing in the world... C'mon, with that amount of trampling all over all kinds of opponents, who cares about the wine quality? Ransack some rival cities for better wine if you have to. Sheesh.