• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here is the save file, guys. The king finally croaked in 1528. I passed two or three new reforms. The reform to abolish the electorate is ready to be fired, but I didn't yet because the BB is up at 30 after all those little French Minors started going after it and I had to vassalize them all.

I'll post a proper AAR update later.

Well, you could actually have just...left them alone instead of vassalising all of them, you know.

That map suggests that Burgundy got badly destroyed, leaving just England as the only significant counter to Bavaria now.

Who did we decide plays Regencies? The previous ruler or the next one? I'm either done or almost done. :D

From no progress in 3 weeks, to 2 rulers and multiple decades in 2 days. The pacing of this AAR is a bit odd right now. :D

Well, you could actually have just...left them alone instead of vassalising all of them, you know.

And pass up those golden opportunities? Nah.

That map suggests that Burgundy got badly destroyed, leaving just England as the only significant counter to Bavaria now.

Have you seen Poland? They are bigger, have more troops, and have more manpower than Bavaria and the rest of the HRE. To to mention Aragon or Castille if either one of them every get their act together and annex or ally each other.

Plus, I believe that a single power was coming up in Russia, although Poland may have crushed that during Pellucid's reign.

Ironically, in your screenshot, France is smaller than the French minors.

Out of curiosity, is Denmark still repeatedly declaring war on Holstein? They seem to have been doing that from several reigns ago, and twice during my reign alone.

Ironically, in your screenshot, France is smaller than the French minors.

Out of curiosity, is Denmark still repeatedly declaring war on Holstein? They seem to have been doing that from several reigns ago, and twice during my reign alone.
Yes.

Or, yes, right up until they DOW'd and then I took the lower Jutland province from them and made them give up their core.

Plus, I believe that a single power was coming up in Russia, although Poland may have crushed that during Pellucid's reign.
The biggest power in Russia is currently Sweden. Almost every other Russian state is an OPM. Ukraine also has a bit of power, but not enough to really be a threat. I got a screenie of it, actually:
94660065-4.jpg

Should I send on the save file?

The biggest power in Russia is currently Sweden. Almost every other Russian state is an OPM. Ukraine also has a bit of power, but not enough to really be a threat. I got a screenie of it, actually:

Interesting.

Should I send on the save file?

To Orago, yes.

We both need to get on our AAR horses, huh? :p

Here's the file. Just so you know what I was doing right before my king died, the last thing I had done was gotten Guyenne's relations with us high enough to vassalize them. You don't need to continue to do that, of course, but that's what I was doing. Oh, I had also just secured a core province adjacent to a sea zone (Mecklenburg). Details to come after Orange posts his AAR :D

Long live an independent and influential Bavaria!

Edit: PS any chance for a world map?

A sad attempt at a quick AAR update!

This will be pictureless as I am merely writing it down so Pellucid can post his. I may add pics later.

So right off the bat I got Milan and Burgundy to peace out and just giving me a little bit of ducats and cores. I decided to fight Poland, but ran out of MP and got a WP. I recovered my MP, but by then we had lost the HRE to Burgundy. Thus, there was about a 10 year down time while we waited for the Burgundian king to die.

Eventually he did, and Bavaria was HRE again. We had about the same number of troops as Burgundy after the vassals are added in. We DOW'd on the basis of the reconquest of Metz. Our 90k glorious troops fell upon Burgundy and quickly made cities fall. Within a few months, 30k of their troops had been destroyed. Usuing spies, I could see that their entire domain was troop free, yet they still had 70k troops out somewhere.

I and my vassals made quick work of all the provinces until the Burgundian doomstack came up from Savoie. Their doomstack didn't assualt the provinces that had already been won, so we were able to just avoid them and go behind them to take back provinces they had sieged. They were forced to release 4 nations in this war.

In 7 years, Burgundy attacked Dauphine, a nation they had had to release 7 years earlier. Bavaria got the call to arms and quickly overran Burgundy. They were forced down to 3 provinces in south France, 3 near Holland, and 1 in Normandy after this war.

All HRE nations that changed religion and weren't already vassals were asked to change religion back to Catholicism, and when they didn't, they were vassalized in a war. Burgundy's and Gelre's provinces in the Netherlands were won and given to Holland to form the Netherlands some day.

Poland was fought twice more, but after running out of MP both times, a WP was signed both times.

That's my turn in a nutshell.

Oh, and I got an RM with about the entirety of Europe.

Most if not all are vassalized, and I would guess to say that Bavaria has about 15-25 vassals.

:eek: Wow. Are any of you going to annex some of them?

No use doing that. If we really wanted to just annex them all, we might as well wait to just pass the last HRE reform.

Good point. I was just stunned by that many vassals. I seldom get more than ten.

No use doing that. If we really wanted to just annex them all, we might as well wait to just pass the last HRE reform.

And shed the glorious name and coat of arms of Bavaria?!

Nay I say! We should remain true Bavarians and not Holy Romans. ;)

(I've never actually written an AAR before, so I've opted to use a history-textbook style that won't be too difficult for a newbie like myself to write, supported with lots of screenshots. I hope it isn't too dry! Also, the screenies are a little too big and I don't know how to resize them. xD )
The Annals of King Siegmund I von Holstein
94659926-4.jpg

Siegmund was born into a world on the brink of sweeping changes. Firearms had recently replaced the blade and bow, the decadence and corruption of the Catholic church had given rise to a massive outbreak of heresy, and while the Holy Roman Empire rose in the west, the Old Roman Empire was seeing rebirth in the east...
94659957-4.jpg

Perhaps it was this combination of old and new that drove Siegmund's personality; he lived a deeply sentimental life, motivated in great part by stories of old and an idyllic dream of a world whose sun had just set before he could be a part of it. His reign would be characterized by a return to the ways long gone, and allies long lost...

Siegmund's first decree would be to purge the heresy from his lands. His father had left Schwaben in the hands of protestant heretics, and even the capital of the Empire had fallen under the sway of reformism. Missionaries were sent out, an army was sent to Schwaben, and an imperial decree was passed making it a crime for a non-priest to print or own a copy of the the Holy Bible, which would hopefully dissuade the masses from coming up with their own heretical interpretations:
94659952-4.jpg

Siegmund vowed that, whenever possible, he would unite the Empire through peaceful means. Bavaria was hated throughout the world when Siegmund took over, and he intended that Bavaria be loved by the time he died. The military advisers his father had employed were dismissed, to be replaced with diplomatic advisers such that Bavaria might restore its reputation in the world.
94660059-4.jpg

With Bavaria's newfound overtures of peace, Personal Union was formed with Mecklenburg. While Bavaria attempted to bring Bar into vassalage under the Empire, however, the realities of European politics set in. The regional power Flanders, long a rival of Bavaria, sought to claim the lands of Normandy, a defenseless and minor power at the edges of Bavaria's arena of influence. Were Siegmund a more practical sort, he may have let this go without issue, but with a chivalrous heart Siegmund lept to the defense of the unfortunate Normandy. Brave Norse defenders held their ground as long as they could against the bulk of Flanders' army while Bavaria assaulted Flanders' eastern citadels. Just as Normandy's defenders broke and surrendered, Bavaria forced Flanders to accept defeat in the east:
94660017-4.jpg

So as not to invoke the ire of all of Europe, Bavaria's demands were modest: Flanders would relinquish its center of trade in Antwerpen and the lands south of their center of trade in Calais, such that Bavaria's two armies in the region could operate out of these two bases, and such that Bavaria's merchants, who had become accustomed to Bavaria's protectionism in their own markets, would benefit from the same protectionism in Antwerpen.
94660021-4.jpg

Siegmund felt a kinship with what he viewed as his Old Roman brothers in the east, and took many steps to cement a positive relationship with them, even going so far as to arrange marriages between their families and to promise the Byzantines that, were they ever attacked, Bavaria would send an army to help them. He made similar overtures in the west, and hired a skilled diplomat to spread his message of peace. It was during this time of diplomatic overtures that Bavaria's ancient claim to Alsace was recognized and integrated into Bavaria proper.

It would be Flanders again who broke the new Pax Romana of which Siegmund dreamt. Despite being weakened by their first war with Bavaria over Normandy, they made a second attempt, met with the same disastrous results for Flanders. At the Battle of Vlaanderen, the back of the Flemish army was broken, and peace would see Flanders lose its last center of trade in Calais as well as its border with Normandy.
94660101-4.jpg

Something changed in King Siegmund after the second war with Flanders. Perhaps it was the blatant disregard of his desire for peace that his neighbors felt; perhaps it was that the wars gave him a taste for blood. Whatever it was, Siegmund had become quick to fight and slow to back down. When Bavaria's ancient enemy, Burgundy, dared to interfere in Bavarian politics, Siegmund immediately declared war against the now third-rate power. When Lorraine, who had until that point been a staunch ally, refused to follow Siegmund's banner to war, he became infuriated; if Lorraine would not come with him to war, he would bring the war to Lorraine.

Burgundy's defeat was swift; Savoy reclaimed from them the province of Savoie, and then Burgundy was forced into vassalage under the Bavarian crown. Lorraine would end up integrated into Bar, and both Bar and Savoy were subsequently vassalized.

Two major events occurred at this point in European history. The first was a massive revolution in Great Britain, which Bavaria would take advantage of to liberate lands for Normandy using carefully-placed spies to instigate revolts. These spies were far more successful than Siegmund had even hoped they would be and, upon conquering Normandy's ancient homelands, somehow managed to convince the rebels to cede themselves to Bavaria:
94662025-4.jpg

The second event was a massive war against the now-excommunicated King of Milan, who unlawfully held Holy Roman lands. The full weight of the Bavarian Confederation crushed them in a matter of weeks, and huge swaths of the Kingdom of Italy fell under Bavaria's sway:
94661986-4.jpg

Siegmund had reigned for almost thirty years. Indeed, he had outlived his younger brother who had been next in line for the throne. His son was incompetent, and Siegmund realized that fulfilling his dreams of a peacefully united Europe had been derailed for too long, and that he would not live to see them come to fruition. In his fading years, he ordered a number of civic projects done, such as the construction of highways, new defenses in the Netherlands provinces, and constabularies throughout the empire. He reformed the agricultural system and centralized the government. Through these reforms and constructions he hoped to mitigate the damage his daft son could do before the next in line would take over. On his deathbed, Siegmund asked that a regency council be formed to oversee his empire while his son's education was completed. The old king died on the 18th of June, 1557, leaving a much more financially and foundationally secure Bavaria in his wake.

That was a lot of war in thirty years. Siegmund definitely got bloodthirsty. :D

When I first got the file and saw I was basically at the BB limit I assumed I'd have to play nice, but after I hired two five-star diplomats, I got lucky and had a couple of those "you have an awesome adviser" events fire, which dropped me by a total of 12 BB points, not including the normal decay the two advisers were always causing. That's why I went to war with Milan; you'll see my BB is comparatively pretty low in that screenshot. :D