• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That excommunication was close to bring you a lot of fun... Mind you, your army and Rodolphe can now deal with any problem money can't :D

aldriq: Doubtful - no one nearby is powerful enough to come close to stopping my big brother. :)

I meant in terms of rebels and them being disconnected, but then I see you are on track to connecting them soon :)

I guess that being constantly at war doesn't help your cultural tradition very much:D

Great read. Great play. Great luck. ;)
But your choice of infamy is kind of odd.. You took 3 provinces for 9 now but didn't take those northern ones from Milan for 1 each. Maybe not the optimal way of doing it. Was it impossible to get military access to the northern ones? OPM's usually isn't that hard to convince once you are decent sized.

Great read. Great play. Great luck. ;)
But your choice of infamy is kind of odd.. You took 3 provinces for 9 now but didn't take those northern ones from Milan for 1 each. Maybe not the optimal way of doing it. Was it impossible to get military access to the northern ones? OPM's usually isn't that hard to convince once you are decent sized.

Milan's excommunication had ended by that point (and they were not my original target), so I couldn't take the northern ones without taking the full 4pt hit/province.

aldriq: Exactly.

Duke of Wellington: War + few magistrates = low cultural tradition. And I haven't had any useful CB's other than against Milan, so I keep taking the full hit. Unfortunately, my need to out-expand France is more important than my need to avoid infamy hits, so I've been eating Infamy right and left (but I will stay under the limit).

vitek69: Yup. I'll be swimming in CT in a century (if the AAR lasts that long), but not right now.

Milan's excommunication had ended by that point (and they were not my original target), so I couldn't take the northern ones without taking the full 4pt hit/province.

Ohh... Now I see it was me who was stupid.. I was thinking about the same war but I see now that it was France who took those. But isn't the junior partner supposed to give control to the senior? Or does the game in some way give it to the junior if the junior is stronger? That could explain some strange happenings in my Denmark game also..

Ohh... Now I see it was me who was stupid.. I was thinking about the same war but I see now that it was France who took those. But isn't the junior partner supposed to give control to the senior? Or does the game in some way give it to the junior if the junior is stronger? That could explain some strange happenings in my Denmark game also..

Ahh... Yes, now the lesser partner will take provinces for themselves in certain situations, mainly if neither you don't border the province.

Chapter 9: A primer to cursing in French

Money: We not has it.
p09money.png

May 8, 1440: New mission: Improve reputation. I love this mission.
Code:
improve_reputation_mission = {
	type = country
	allow = {
		infamy = 0.7
		ai = no
		NOT = { infamy = 0.9 }
	}
	abort = {
		infamy = 1.0
	}
[B]	success = {
		NOT = { infamy = 0.5 }[/B]
	}
	chance = {
		factor = 1
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			DIP = 6
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			DIP = 8
		}
	}
	effect = {
		define_advisor = { type = diplomat skill = 4 }
	}

}

Oh, the wonder of moving targets. Especially since your infamy limit is now affected by legitimacy. Every time my legitimacy drops, my target infamy for the mission will drop. (something I noticed when I'd check back to see how much more infamy I needed to burn)

May 8: Aragon has a heir with a weak claim. Aragon borders France. Aragon might bleed France's armies down. France will insult us if we don't start a war. Hrm...
p09ctaragon.png

I just made a lot of enemies. C'est la vie, say the old folks - especially if their heirs have a weak claim. :)

June 1: Savoy breaks their alliance, since our relations tanked below 0 from claiming the throne. Oh well.

June 10: What would happen if someone done throne a war, and no one came? Yeah, it's bad grammar. Don't split heirs.
p09dowaragon.png

Nevers, France, and Sicily join us. Castille, Portugal, Corsica, and Savoy join Aragon. This war will not be boring.

November 22: French and Barrois armies crush the Savoyard armies.
p09bofnice.png

While this doesn't wipe out their army, it kicks them out of any chance of stopping the remaining sieges.

March 1, 1441: Papal States collapses, freeing Urbino yet again. Savoy annuls all treaties and accepts peace, freeing up the French and Barrois armies to go party in Spain.

March 12: Like any good general, Rodolphe de Crussol dies months into the war. We hire a replacement Rodolphe, de Crevecoeur (6/5/2/1).

May 9: The Ottomans declare holy war on Austria. This should keep the Emperor busy.

November 1: French and Barrois armies kick the Castillians out of Pirineo, but are unable to capitalize and wipe out the army.

January 1: Aragonese armies are defeated in Valencia, but escape to fight another day. Rousillon and Pirineo have fallen to France, and Girona has fallen to Nevers.

January 14: A political crisis erupts, lowering stability.

January 31: Attempting to wipe out the Aragonese army, the main Barrois army is decisively defeated when the Portuguese show up mid-battle, and forced to return to France proper to regroup. Lest you think I am some sort of combat god, I never noticed the incoming Portuguese until I saw my army suddenly getting pasted.
p09bofaragon.png

February 1: Trade 6. Slowly, but surely, we work our way to monopolies.

February 15: Sicily offers an alliance.

June 1: The Papal State excommunicates Duke Louis. Sicily immediately breaks their alliance. Duke Louis frantically starts bribing the Pope.
p09excom2.png

We're going to need a lot of bribes.
p09papalrelations.png

Our next slider move is to Land 4, which causes us to lose 732 ducats of Naval research.

July 28: As with any excommunication, the warnings come. Trier is first.

September 15: Great Man event for discipline! Muhahahaha! The options should both refer to crushing our enemies like bugs...
p09discipline.png

April 1: Castille has landed in Northern France. Guess where there are no Allied armies of note?
p09castillianinvasion.png

It seems Bar is hanging pretty well in the middle of the major powers. Although, she is now major powers herself.

I now understand that I'm not very good at EU. You use terms which I don't even know what they mean and all the infamy, royal marriages etc. are all rather unfamiliar to me. I just bought HTTT, though. I guess I have to read a few beginners guide...

It seems Bar is hanging pretty well in the middle of the major powers. Although, she is now major powers herself.

I now understand that I'm not very good at EU. You use terms which I don't even know what they mean and all the infamy, royal marriages etc. are all rather unfamiliar to me. I just bought HTTT, though. I guess I have to read a few beginners guide...

Which terms do you want to know about?

BTW: Infamy is the new name for badboy.

:rofl:LOL I actually thought that Enewald meant it ironically, like he allways breaks the BB limit

I was answering Auray. Enewald is probably an expert at infamy. :)

You keep getting excommunicated. Why don't you just bribe papal relations over 100 to stop it from happening? It's much cheaper than to separately bribe each holder of the holy see once you get excommunicated.

You keep getting excommunicated. Why don't you just bribe papal relations over 100 to stop it from happening? It's much cheaper than to separately bribe each holder of the holy see once you get excommunicated.

Because I keep pissing off the pope after getting relations to 100. :)

I suppose it's now appropriate to ask just how many divisions does the Pope have? ;)

1) conquer the pope
2) make him a vassal
3) no excommunications anymore :D

it is a foolproof plan :rolleyes::D

Chapter 10: More fun with regencies...

I had the entire post written...

...and then Firefox crashed while posting...

After I wiped the supporting screenshots I use to fill in the narratives. Ooops.

So...Cliff's Notes version:

I finally kick out Castille's army out of my territory, but can't completely destroy them for about a year.
p10bofnevers.png

Northern France is...a mess.

I finally force Castille out of the war by releasing Granada, then form a union with Aragon. Bribes are necessary to get relations above 0, then we form an alliance.
p10aragoneseunion.png

Our king dies, leaving another regency. But...there is a tiny ray of hope...

The new map of Western and Central Europe.

We now have positive cash flow!
p10money.png

After almost a decade, Gerard reaches majority, and has a new heir.
p10gerardi.png
p10theobald.png

We DoW an excommunicated Urbino (in Abruzzi), and wipe her allies for money and prestige.
p10dowurbino.png

Provence is now a 5 province minor, after taking Poitou from Auvergne and annexing Berry. Burgundy has vassalized Auvergne.

Provence's inheritance situation. Austria has claimed the throne, so we do as well...the new result is that there will be a succession war.
p10provenceinheritance.png

That'll be fun, especially since we're back at war with Castille (who DoW'd Granada).

Last edited:
Prawnstar: Before or after the rebels keep wiping his armies out?

Mico: Yeah, if I weren't a good Christian ruler, I'd do that.