• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In arcade mode you are not restricted as much by the direction of the wind. Sailing vessels at best can never sail closer than 45 degrees to direction the wind is coming from. In the real world square rigged ships can't sail closer than 60 degrees. In arcade mode that restriction is mostly removed. You can sail directly up wind but your speed will be reduced.

In normal mode the wind restricting is more rigidly enforced and the ships maximum speed seems to be reduced in all points of sail.

Using the little time that I spent using simulation mode as a guide. I have not found much of a difference other than the sailing characteristics are restricted to the point as to make it nearly unplayable. Ships of that age could sail as fast as 6 to 15 knots depending on the ship type. But in sim mode the best you ever get is about 4. A good cannon crew of that era could fire 2 rounds in 5 minutes. In the game reload is about 30 seconds. The net result is ships become nearly stationary gun platforms to pound each other to matchsticks. Its almost as if they have sped up time then slowed the ships speeds to adjust for it.

I would have rather simulation mode would allow the user more advanced sail control and ship function control.