• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see a HoI4 go back to some of what made HoI2 such a great game. Allow minors the capability to build their armed forces and industry up like they did historically to rival that of major powers in some cases and even become major powers themselves. Bring back the HoI2 nations you can release. I loved that Germany could release Reichskommissariats from the USSR lands.

Also a 1933 start wouldn't be to much to ask for I don't think.

I would love to see a HoI4 go back to some of what made HoI2 such a great game. Allow minors the capability to build their armed forces and industry up like they did historically to rival that of major powers in some cases and even become major powers themselves. Bring back the HoI2 nations you can release. I loved that Germany could release Reichskommissariats from the USSR lands.

All of these are fantastic ideas, especially allowing minors to build up more, and a 1933 start.

I dont see the minors happening (and i do like playing minors!) because first off the game isnt truly based on the data of the times (its not accurate), its simply all some sort of mish mash play balance whereby the Allies and the Soviets are supposed to win, and Minors are supposed to be...minor. Because the game is accurate in regards to its data, if they built up the Minors they would have to turn around and adjust the Majors as well and that sort of defeats the purpose of what you ask. For the most part except for maybe Greece/Italy, Minors tended to not be very good. IN regards to 1933 my concern would be the game isnt accurate in that it is far too easy to conquer nation after nation in a short time, adding more time would likely only create more conquer the world games. Unless if there was some modifiers preventing that (like no early DOWs). Focusing on Diplomacy, Industrial buildup and Infrastructure as well as establishing the direction of your Military (techs & doctrines) could be the focus, that might be interesting. Although the more i read threads it seems like not too many people want more pre-war time, they would rather get right to it. I myself would love to see the game start in say 1925 and you would guide your nation from WW1 technology into whatever direction you choose.

I see what your saying with the large possibility of imbalance but, as it is the commonwealth minors have no affect on ww2 considering they don't send any troops aside from an occasional 1 or 2 division expeditionary. I can settle with 36 and wimpy minors as long as the minor AI can actually contribute and send 1-3 full corps and learn how to use anything but their current horrid division builds. *cringe*

The builds are generic, and ridiculous. So is the fact that they start out with a 0 relation with the UK but 70 or 75 with the US. The game was made with the intention of having the US beat the Japanese and the Soviets to defeat the Germans, after a counter-attack...everything else it seems is an after thought (without much thought).

Those who want to play a "true ww2 game" should start with a '39 scenario. Or one where the "option historic railroad to ww2" is set.
Otherwise if you start in '36, you have the option to act different and the other countries should also react to a set of plausible possibilities.
So maybe Chamberlain wouldn't have fold in Munic already, or France would have mobilized about Rhineland etc..
What about Germany stayed with China..

That's exactly what I'd like to see. A small option that would allow the AI to make ahistorical choices more often, just to keep the player on the edge. If you know France and the UK might DoW you about Munich, you'll do things differently...

Bring back the HoI2 nations you can release. I loved that Germany could release Reichskommissariats from the USSR lands.

Amen.

Try Unholy alliance as USSR with tag switching as Germany to accept. Mod the game for events to have a different percentage of accepting. There are tools for you to do that would add a degree of randomness, thats why this game is considered half sandbox / half historical.

From what I understand is some people don't want to do this. They want the game to do it for them. And that is where I part ways. It is way too easy to change things to fit your needs. What I think PI needs to do is to add AI percentages in all the events and decisions. Then as someone else once mentioned a slider on stepup (CGM type) where the AI chances for the evetns are modified.

But in no way should the base game not be WW2. And the balance of AI vs AI should be based on as close to historical WW2 as possible. The rest is player beware.

From what I understand is some people don't want to do this. They want the game to do it for them. And that is where I part ways. It is way too easy to change things to fit your needs. What I think PI needs to do is to add AI percentages in all the events and decisions. Then as someone else once mentioned a slider on stepup (CGM type) where the AI chances for the evetns are modified.

This would be neat. I normally don't mind more options for setting up the game, and creating the game in such a way as to support different AI behavior would be welcome. Just make sure it is labeled player beware, and you're good.

Something that irks me... Id like to see a different setup so if you dont choose to not fire specialized training the flag wont constantly be on your screen and you cant see other laws when they pop. Either a way to disable them individually or have them pop up individually would work. As it stands you have to constantly check back and forth to see if you have moved enough to fire a law, as opposed to having the popup announce it.

So many little things I can think of, but whats the use. A NEW ENGINE! that's what Id like to see. No more province lines or names (or at least the ability to turn them off) coz that's annoying and not a real map. A more green map not blueish green. Lots of more options/pictures. Longer time frame of course. And real military style combat lines and unit markers. Do away with the Solid blocks all square and let us see lines and different colors/shapes of our different units. Definitely a lot they could make more realistic and entertaining. More stable MP and checksum of course. The list can go on and on.....but no point they don't read everything we write coz theirs 63 pages of ideas. They gonna have to give us something more eye/catching pictures.... entertaining and realistic that's for sure.

Three people can easily read the thread by dividing it into three parts and make notes during the course of one day, so NP.

nah just read the first response of the every poster

Well, keep in mind that this thread has been active awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if podcat hasn't been sniffing around in it for the past year, seeing if there are any good ideas to steal. :)

I also wouldn't be surprised if 75% of what we thought of here hadn't already been thought of by the developers. They play these games too, you know. The only reason they aren't perfect is that budgets and time are limited, and only so many features can be added at one time.

Game devs play the games too?

Creative Assembly and SEGA would like a word with you.

I'm joking pls don't hurt me

Do you want to know another reason why I KNOW that HOI4 is in the works? Many of the long timers are not posting here. This generally means they are under a NDA of some sort. It happened in the past for the various expansions.

And since they are all players of HOI3 they are very much aware of the issues with it and have a long list of improvments. As usual I bet there are more suggestions and wishes then they will have time to actually implement.

Do you want to know another reason why I KNOW that HOI4 is in the works? Many of the long timers are not posting here. This generally means they are under a NDA of some sort. It happened in the past for the various expansions.

Or they got stolen to do work on EU4... Or new content for CK2... Or new content for Vic2...

And if there's an HOI4 happening and I'm not in on it, I'm going to pout and whine and post vitriol in the forum until Had a Dad punishes me, because why the Hell not. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.