• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what the hell is that?

That would be a little button that gives you a new general/admiral/air marshal when you run out of them generated using stock pictures and names. It's annoying that, playing historically as Communist China, you end up with leaderless divisions when in reality they would just promote people to general. Sure, subtract some officers/leadership/whatever for each new leader, and make the new leaders 0 skill or whatever, but don't leave divisions without leaders.

It would be nice if you could tell the KI in your faction where to build infrastructure and fortification. (e.g. german players could tell the italian KI in northern africa)

What KI means ? Yes to this idea but you would have to pay for them to do that (and maybe more costly because you have to give them ressources, material, engineers, etc..)

It should be possible to put new (naval) units on allied territories if there is a direct border. It would be much easier for germans to get to northern africa.

Do you mean a gigantic canal across the alps between the two countries ? Why not a couple of pyramids with that ?

Or different idea for the same case. -> It should be possible to rent allied naval units for a short time to do so.

That sounds like a better idea.

It should not be possible to get Leningrad this easy....It could be necessary to have higher stock limits than 99999?...Cavalry should be included in the infantry technologies and not separatet cause nobody uses them.

Yes, yes (at least 150 000, but I think it's to force you to trade and put a limit to IC whoring) and yes.

One more idea could be helicopters in the game.

The tech exists, but not the units.

You could think about making finnland stronger for the russian winterwar. (maybe with the skisoldiers and special bonus on frozen ground - and finnish core)

Or a decision about "sisu" fighting spirit, like the UK air bonus for the finest hour decision.

Please replace the waffenss as special unit and take another one if there will be special units in HOI4 ;)

Yes, paratroopers (fallschirmjagers) so every countries special units are foot infantry types. Or create a system of specialized manpower for elite and let any type of unit be elite, more effective and more costly, within limits of this special manpower.

You have many good ideas.

That would be a little button that gives you a new general/admiral/air marshal when you run out of them generated using stock pictures and names. It's annoying that, playing historically as Communist China, you end up with leaderless divisions when in reality they would just promote people to general. Sure, subtract some officers/leadership/whatever for each new leader, and make the new leaders 0 skill or whatever, but don't leave divisions without leaders.

A big yes for generic leaders creation. Make them 0 level, minus 1 level, or a "green" trait with penalties that dissapear after some time/experience/or another trait is gained.

-additional like: Prison Camps when Units are covered, or otherwise set 'em down. I think this was in HoI1 if i remember right?
Please read the forum rules. This topic is forbidden.

- Recon Planes and recon missions: Allies used them quite a lot once they achieved supremacy in the skies
- Long range artillery: every army had it and was used to bombard enemy positions before the assault
- Scout land patrol: they cannot occupy but they can see far
- Commando unit capable to board airplanes and subs: stealthy and fast for sabotage missions
- Pay for damaged structure: don't understand whay after bombing for weeks an airport, it is up after a few days and costs nothing (anyway how could aircraft take off if it is completly destroyed?)
- Increase speed of production using money: it is like paying extra wages to workers, using the same amount of Ic in less time

Well, I think first two should really be in the game

- Scout land patrol: they cannot occupy but they can see far - Commando unit capable to board airplanes and subs: stealthy and fast for sabotage missions

In Their Finest Hour there will be special operations spies missions to scout an area and to satotage strategic ressource/area. So just a few days to have these features.

More years

Personally, i'd prefer more pre-war years and more years after the war to allow me to tailor my nation more to my needs. It also enables more of an opportunity to carry out "what if" scenarios. I think a first world war scenario or even time period to play out would be very cool. The best would be being able to play any nation from say 1910 to 1950, i know that would take huge amounts of Ram and hardrive space and it would make the game epically long so maybe they could release such a version for the hardcore hearts of iron gamers.

More unit pictures ,more unit variants in the same unit type like when I research medium tanks panzer IV first I get the A variant now if I research every part of it I will get panzer IV/f2 and then a panther. I would like to see something different if I reserch A variant and I upgrade engine of it I should get Panzer IV B (as I know the dif is the engine) so more possibility instead of Panzer IV(***) =) I know that is impossible in every unit but there is some of them at germany or at GB where it can be done. More events and decisions, improved naval warfare. Maybe some thing shoud be deleted from the game to make the AI less overloaded like windspeed, I thing the game shoud work without it. Some provincies shoud have the same effects on it like provincies in SU if one has temperature -30 in siberia there is no need for the AI to calculate this in the prov next to it, should be the same so less AI use. And some bonus units like in BI the motorcycle recon for minimal ic and minimal mp, units like this will make every division a little different. ( like at ships) =)
Oh and I almost forgot the irritating GB amphibious assault AI sending units to death in no time. Assaulting every port taken by germany this makes the game only less playable.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants more unit pictures, IT WOULD BE SOOOO EASY TO DO! i don't see why we can't get in in their finest hour. i just want more unit names with the correct pictures...why is german's heavy armor 1 a picture of a tiger, but the unit has a different name, ans german's heavy tank two a picture of some random tank and called a tiger? yes i understand it has no effect on gameplay, but for flavor it does wonders. I'd change the names and add pictures myself if someone would just explain how... :(
i really really feel like this should be high priority

37 pages is a lot and i am not going to read them all so if any or all of my suggestions have already been made i apologise.

I agree with Hemmotron, an expanded time frame would be nice, even just a few more years.
i want the ability to build infrastructure etc. in my puppets provinces.
i want to be able to buy "units" from my allies and by units i mean at equipment. if as GER i buy an infantry division from my SLO puppet i get the unit with 1 strength per brigade or airwing OR ship(yes i know SLO couldnt build ships). You would then have to spend IC days upgrading(where possible) the unit and bringing it up to strength. This would represent having to recruit and train the troops to use the equiptment or aircraft or ship you have purchased. And yes, in the case of a ship you should have to pay a lot to buy it. And perhaps to be able to buy off nations not allied but VERY closely aligned. Many nation did and still do buy their equipment from other countries.

Ideological spectrum

Making the ideological spectrum a triangle was kinda dumb. It should be a four quadrant square labeled with Democracy on the top, authoritarian on the bottom, communism on the left, and capitalism on the right. This would make it much easier to understand both where your political/economic ideology lie and how they relate to other countries. It would be a fun feature to try shifting your country to any of the extreme corners or the middle and see how well those polices work on the global playground compared to other countries. The top left would probably start out fairly empty but it is nice to have the option to go there and see what happens. I always wanted to see the advantages and disadvantages of combining a democratic government with a communist economic system in a global war scenario. This would place USA in the top right somewhere, Germany in the bottom right somewhere, and the Soviet Union in the bottom left somewhere. The HOI3 triangle puts both left and right democratic economies into the top corner making them indistinguishable until the country shifts down the triangle towards authoritarianism.

Last edited:
Brigades & HQ
I would see brigade and hq names based on country and/or native language. It looks stupid when fighting against Jap 1th Army or German 3rd Armygroup. As of now if gives the game less credibility and becomes less "realistic"(in my opinion)

Three things I wish for that are to complex for any expansions:

- No provinces
Who wants to keep tabs on 15k+ of them anyways? Well I guess a few can be kept for administrative purposes, but HoI4 would be truly unique as the only realtime wargame of this scale if they allowed division movements to anywhere on an open map.

- Separation of strength into men & materials AT guns or Stukas won't kill large amounts of soldiers just like machine-guns won't kill many tanks. A tank division or airwing can be all out of working vehicles even if most men are still alive. Land divisions dependent on vehicles for say movements would perform like normal infantry without enough available.

- Tank/Plane count By producing individual tanks/planes instead there is no distinctions between reinforcements and new units. You suddenly can't go from no production to hundreds per day/week for reinforcements becoming ready instantly. If your tank/airplane reserves are out and you didn't keep assembly lines running, bad luck for you since a these things can take months to build.
I'm not asking for hundreds of different units and micromanagement to be added, but some basic abstractions like tanks/trucks/guns/fighters/light bombers/heavy bombers unit counts might be enough for example.

I agree. The 1st panzer div has 120 Pzkw I in 1936, then changes to 90 Pzkw I and 30 Pzkw II in 1937... as they are built. Send the 30 Pzkw I to reserve.
Same with planes, and improve the reinforcement system. Is not the same reinforce a Panzer div than a Infantry division. Assembly lines is a great idea. Also you would need a time to refit the assembly line when a new unit is available to build (change from Spitfire I to Spitfire II, or IX... whatever).
So factories to build tank /planes should be created (and can be targeted by strategic bombing). They should use IC and resources to work.

Change division build table. Most important units of the division are brigades/regiments, but add some specialiced batallions (AT is a batallion, not brigade really, like TD, ENG). A division should have 2-4 brigades and up to 5 support batallions (including transport, or medical support, communications...)

Generals should have a chance to die when the division is in combat, depending on combat situation (more likely to happen when encircled, less likely when attacking...)

More options for naval battles: give order to dissengage or pursue a retreating fleet, close or mantain distance with the enemy depending on speed of the ships. CV should be surprised sometimes by surface ships, can´t be sunk now by BBs.

Improve supply system. You must have supply production centers (like factories), and then you decide where to transport those supplies (train, road). Build railroads (now there is only infrastruture).

Super Heavy Carriers.

The main thing I would want to see in HOI4 is graphical improvements - and in a big way.

I would like to see it getting back to the look of HOI3 in concept where when you click on a unit you immediately see a B&W picture of what that unit is made up from Hurricanes, Spitfires, etc. I miss seeing the actual photo of units - in HOI3 they are too hidden way.

I would like to see a nicer representation of the unit type not just a boring nato symbol. Such as SKIFs icons for HOI2 which were superb. They really added atmosphere into the HOI2 game for me that I really miss in HOI3.

I would like to see proper sprites representing numerous infantry like HOI3 had. It should be more obvious when infantry/tanks/ships are attacking and moving. And they should have ground shadows which makes them far more 3d looking. And most importantly they should stack on top of one another when they move etc - looks pants seeing infantry and tank sprites all jumbled up on top of each other. I would also like to see smaller ships sprites etc as they are far too large in this game.

The map itself should be much brighter with proper looking green trees, grass, mountains and sand. Just because you are in a war doesn't mean the whole world suddenly turns grey. This alone put me off buying HOI3 for years and I still don't like the look of it much. And neither do many other people going by the popularity of the map mods.

I would like to see the map change to show fortifications, bombed cities smoking, animated battles that are ongoing, animated bombings and dogfights, etc.

I would like to see destroyable bridge crossings over rivers that can slow the enemy down requiring engineers to build new bridges for armies to cross rivers.

Weather is so important it should be visible all the time - it shouldn't be on a separate tab. That has always pigged me off.

I would also like to see factories being located only where there is a population is to use them. At the moment factories are completely non-sensical in that you can build them anywhere even in the jungle. In real life factories need good infrastructure, population base and supplies to function.

I would like to see a full set of scenarios like those in HOI2 such as Italy, Poland, D-Day and the Fall of France, as well as some new ones such as Op Market Garden, China, and perhaps Tunisia (Op Vulcan?), as an extension of the Desert Fox scenario. I really enjoy the scenarios and HOI3 is sadly lacking in them. This again is one of the main factors that prevented me from buying HOI3 until recently when I saw a few had been added with the recent expansions.

Otherwise the game isn't half bad the way it is.

Last edited:
I wouldn´t give one hour of playthrough before you disable all those graphical shenanigans. On paper it would look nice, but the moment you see rainy clouds obstructing your view of the units you would disable it. Same with graphical representation of combats on the map - you barely have time to check what´s happening in each ground battle, would you really stop to look at those details? Not that the game doesn´t deserve better graphics (unit pictures alone would make a huge difference), but not shenanigans that distract the player and obstruct the map.

About the map itself I´m convinced it should have 4 fifths or even 3 fourths of what it has now, both to improve game performance, and to ease the burden on both player and AI while still allowing large scale maneuvers. Those garrison and invasion issues would be easier to handle if there were less borders and ports to defend.

And yes the industrial and infrastructure model needs a complete overhaul. The IC concept is old and creates all sorts of balancing issues.

I can’t remember if I responded in this thread already or not. :/

The ability to assign captured provinces/regions to your allies. Often after beating a nation as Germany I find that the AI controlling my allies didn’t bother to even try to reclaim its cores, which is why a number of the countries allied to Germany went to war in the first place (besides being scared of Germany). Provinces or regions that border territory of your allies should work similar to how it does when you win a war in EU III where you can pick and choose as the victor to assign territory to your allies.

The ability to give free resources to your allies. In older versions of the game you could “trade” resources and make offers on what you wanted in return. You could ask for nothing in return which meant you were giving resources away for free. While we have Lend Lease in the game now, which allows you to give IC to your allies, I think there should be an option to give resources as well. Right now other countries can ask you if they can pay for resources later but you may not want to wait for the AI to ask that, if they ever even do. So why not add a 2nd slider to the Lend Lease where you can give IC and/or resources?

Supply Depots: I think being able to build supply depots in order to help with offensives in certain areas (Fall Blau style, or just about anything in North Africa), set up cities or regions for long sieges (the Crimean peninsula, or Leningrad) or overseas invasions (Normandy) should be added. The amount of supply depots you could build would be limited to by the amount of your base IC and supplies you have. You would need to divert supplies from your regular daily supply amount in order to fill the supply depot (it should have a maximum amount of supplies in can hold) and to refill it as the supplies in it are used.

I realize that how and which units can pull from the supply depot may be a tricky thing. Possibly a button on an HQ so all units under it either pull supplies from the regular supply route or switch to pulling supplies from the depot only.

Supply depots would not be able to be moved. However, once it ran out of supplies you could destroy/abandon it and build a new one in another location. Again, I think there should be a limit on the number of supply depots you can have active at any one time.

Special home guard units for England and Japan. We all know the AI has a problem defending itself as England & Japan, often emptying their islands of troops which allows them to be too easily be invaded and conquered. So for these nations I would suggest creating a new unit that must be built by the AI and kept in certain provinces, like all the ports and maybe all the regular coastal provinces in certain regions as well. Once the units are built the AI is free to build whatever else it is programmed to build but these must always be maintained. If a home guard unit is destroyed, the AI needs to build a replacement.

More NU impact on 'how you are doing' in the war, Italians in Baghdad? ITA NU Up, GB NU down. Same for major battles and losing tons of divisions. Like the events we had previously, but then ones that actually work ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.