• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasily

First Lieutenant
29 Badges
Aug 17, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I, for one think it would be pretty cool if the HOI series made a move away from 2d maps to full 3d maps (which would provide more tactical situations, etc). What about you?

HOI3 hasn't even been ironed out of bugs, and we're already talking about HOI4?

+1

Except to say the following list of reasonable demands!
- I want to be able to develop wunderkind grown in giant vats,
- have generals re-skinned to have chrome plated electric heads.
- have the supply situation improved to reflect France's fine cheese industry,
- The event system overhauled to give the player and option 'omg I am a noob - just gimme free stuff and tell me which is the best choice here',
- Options to install 15" cannon on my uboats, (obviously can be improved futher through the tech tree)
- johan's mobile number so I can have my complaints dealt with personally and immediatey!
- naval attack ratings improved to reflect small arms fire from ships companies against SHBB in particular,
- cavalry toughness factors enhanced to reflect the ability to use the hores as an 'equine shield' from artillery fire
- the mouse 'left click' to enable 'I win' mode.
- a free ski holiday for all my kith and kin as an introductory offer in the box on release
- and, most importantly, a medals system implemented complete with a movie and clickable interface so that I can award medals to individual soldiers in any particular brigade and pimp my troops.

Reactions:
+1

Except to say the following list of reasonable demands!
- I want to be able to develop wunderkind grown in giant vats,
- have generals re-skinned to have chrome plated electric heads.
- have the supply situation improved to reflect France's fine cheese industry,
- The event system overhauled to give the player and option 'omg I am a noob - just gimme free stuff and tell me which is the best choice here',
- Options to install 15" cannon on my uboats, (obviously can be improved futher through the tech tree)
- johan's mobile number so I can have my complaints dealt with personally and immediatey!
- naval attack ratings improved to reflect small arms fire from ships companies against SHBB in particular,
- cavalry toughness factors enhanced to reflect the ability to use the hores as an 'equine shield' from artillery fire
- the mouse 'left click' to enable 'I win' mode.
- a free ski holiday for all my kith and kin as an introductory offer in the box on release
- and, most importantly, a medals system implemented complete with a movie and clickable interface so that I can award medals to individual soldiers in any particular brigade and pimp my troops.

Does someone have Johan's mobile number? This guy should be head developer for HOI4!!!!!!

HOI3 hasn't even been ironed out of bugs, and we're already talking about HOI4?

Hmm. Well I would say sort of what you said, the map would be a globe.
Also, this would be very difficult to execute, but... seeing soldier ai's fight the battle in 3d by zooming in to a province would be awesome. It wouldn't be Total War style, it would simply be watching the battle.

iv always wanted to see the troops getting shot at and stuff in the provinces.. that'd be so awesome. like looking from a satellite

Like you guys I would really love to see even a simple depiction of soldiers fighting their way through a province. Hell I'd be happy with animation. I mean it can't be that taxing to put some nation specific stock footage of bombings and troops moving forwards etc. In fact the biggest problem would likely be hdd space but I'd still play the game if it was 10 gig.

Another would be a massive expansion of diplomactic options along with the introduction of conditional surrenders. I feel rather restricted at the moment, in particular by the guarantee of independence lasting FOREVER without the possiblity of revoking it. Being able to define concession of land, reparation payments, release of independant states and regime change would add to the immersion of the game immensely. When the Soviets/Germans surrender, it feels anti-climactic after a long struggle rather than a battle at the negoiating table to cut the war short under a conditional surrender. It also breaks immersion in that the surrender is instantenous with only two options available.

Other things I'd want like more scenarios ala doomsday and allies/axis diplomatic intergration (along the lines of eu3 style HRE/papacy?) are more like expansion material.

although i agree with the map i think it would take too much ram. at the moment i couldnt play hoi3 if i wanted to becuase it takes 4 hours to get from 36 to 39.

but why are we talking bout a 4th? the closest thing to that for a few years will be the announced expansiuon

Three things I wish for that are to complex for any expansions:

- No provinces
Who wants to keep tabs on 15k+ of them anyways? Well I guess a few can be kept for administrative purposes, but HoI4 would be truly unique as the only realtime wargame of this scale if they allowed division movements to anywhere on an open map.

- Separation of strength into men & materials AT guns or Stukas won't kill large amounts of soldiers just like machine-guns won't kill many tanks. A tank division or airwing can be all out of working vehicles even if most men are still alive. Land divisions dependent on vehicles for say movements would perform like normal infantry without enough available.

- Tank/Plane count By producing individual tanks/planes instead there is no distinctions between reinforcements and new units. You suddenly can't go from no production to hundreds per day/week for reinforcements becoming ready instantly. If your tank/airplane reserves are out and you didn't keep assembly lines running, bad luck for you since a these things can take months to build.
I'm not asking for hundreds of different units and micromanagement to be added, but some basic abstractions like tanks/trucks/guns/fighters/light bombers/heavy bombers unit counts might be enough for example.

Another would be a massive expansion of diplomactic options along with the introduction of conditional surrenders. I feel rather restricted at the moment, in particular by the guarantee of independence lasting FOREVER without the possiblity of revoking it. Being able to define concession of land, reparation payments, release of independant states and regime change would add to the immersion of the game immensely.

And you really expect that two AI nations will be capable of ever signing such a peace treaty? And if they ever did, the outcome will be hilarious at best.

And you really expect that two AI nations will be capable of ever signing such a peace treaty? And if they ever did, the outcome will be hilarious at best.

With a little scripting to the historical norm, yes. We are talking about HOI4 here right, so I assume that the AI will be better.

My vote goes to Kaiser.
He offers many options, suited for all target groups.
Now we will see secretaries playing HOI4 instead of Solitaire!

Only thing that was not depicted thoroughly was MP.
I expect that there will be rating system. On lowest, you will be able to win if you click on "I win button" that shows up in random place of screen and stays there for 10 seconds, while AI does everything on behalf of player.
If player misses button too many times, he will get autowin after a year.

- No provinces
Who wants to keep tabs on 15k+ of them anyways? Well I guess a few can be kept for administrative purposes, but HoI4 would be truly unique as the only realtime wargame of this scale if they allowed division movements to anywhere on an open map.
Agreed. The current map implementation is a desperate hodge-podge of approaches that does nothing well, apart from hindering the player. It has to be grid-based (even if the grid is invisible and very fine) and changes of terrain and rivers and other borders have to follow the grid. Having a logical and consistent model of the terrain will make many other factors more susceptible to computing.

- Separation of strength into men & materials AT guns or Stukas won't kill large amounts of soldiers just like machine-guns won't kill many tanks. A tank division or airwing can be all out of working vehicles even if most men are still alive. Land divisions dependent on vehicles for say movements would perform like normal infantry without enough available.
And you could upgrade your INF to MOT if you wanted just by providing a bunch of trucks. Or your Veteran early light tank Brigades could be remounted on Late war Panthers and not lose all their experience.

I'd like the HQ to matter. A WW2 HQ is a pretty large operation that has to be set up somewhere and is difficult to use when not so deployed. I'd like to see a set up and take down time for HQs operating properly, and maybe subordinate formations should not be capable of changing orders while an HQ is moving.

Supply should also be routed via HQs and the network should be configurable by the player.

Weird. I could've sworn someone with a Core i5 stated that using just one core slows him down, and adding more raises the speed HoI3 runs at...

I don't know, but at least I know that music can be and is processed on a separate core.

Status
Not open for further replies.