• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason why i´d favor HoI4 over another expansion is, that HoI actually needs a reduction at this point. Leadership as an on map ressource and divisional commanders, for example, should go. Hard to sell reduction on expansions...

And then a bunch of mechanics needs a thorough look at, i think, too. Like when ´attack delay´ is applied or wether its needed at all. If STR should matter in how much damage a unit deals... that kind of stuff.

The reason why i´d favor HoI4 over another expansion is, that HoI actually needs a reduction at this point. Leadership as an on map ressource and divisional commanders, for example, should go. Hard to sell reduction on expansions...

And then a bunch of mechanics needs a thorough look at, i think, too. Like when ´attack delay´ is applied or wether its needed at all. If STR should matter in how much damage a unit deals... that kind of stuff.
HOI4 would need much more than that to be worthwhile. It needs to offer something new, like better naval and air combat systems... and a decentralised logistical system - that would be grand!

LP as a province-based resource can be removed in a mod. HPP does it.

How about beta testing the release so that is doesn't take a year to have a worthwhile version. While Paradox doesn't have the resources of Blizzard, there is a reason they don't release their titles UNTIL THEY ARE DONE! I understand that the game is always evolving with mods and expansions but if you want people to respect and desire your product fix the design, test it to death and then release instead of using paying customers as betas (unless you want to give us all a discount for playing an unfinished game.)

What about separate campaign and battle map, something along the lines of the Total War series. Then be able to control individual units during battle. Would be tough because of the need for a totally new and separate battle ai.I wouldn't even mind if one of the maps needed to be turn based, like the old P.T.O. games.

How about beta testing the release so that is doesn't take a year to have a worthwhile version. While Paradox doesn't have the resources of Blizzard, there is a reason they don't release their titles UNTIL THEY ARE DONE! I understand that the game is always evolving with mods and expansions but if you want people to respect and desire your product fix the design, test it to death and then release instead of using paying customers as betas (unless you want to give us all a discount for playing an unfinished game.)

sure, the game wasn't tested and a beta test would affect the release date... take a look at the recent releases anyway.

defining borders after wars or when releasing puppets, more decisions and events even for small countries like Finland and Sweden (as examples), thickened tech tree, and harder A.I. (i played as US and still won against Japan within six months on Very Hard).

What about separate campaign and battle map, something along the lines of the Total War series. [...]

I think i made it perfectly clear, what about it, in a post that got quoted on the very same page you posted on. Go to Creative assembly´s site and ask them to make a WW2-game, please, but dont ask PI to make a CA-game!

I think i made it perfectly clear, what about it, in a post that got quoted on the very same page you posted on. Go to Creative assembly´s site and ask them to make a WW2-game, please, but dont ask PI to make a CA-game!

Sorry, I was writing on my phone, so I didn't see your post on that page, and no need to be such a jerk. I simply joining the conversation.

I could come up with a lot if I think about it but,
#1 unquestionably is the spherical map.
#2 Fortifications should be built directionally along borders, not just a general property of the whole territory.
#3 flow charts depicting the history of your resource stockpiles and everything else you can think of.
#4 a very detailed search engine for picking leaders which allows you to sort for various traits your looking for.
#5 leader traits should not be a have or have not system, each leader should have a numerical level of experience in every trait.

Beyond that just the basic idea of bringing all the good simple stuff that everyone liked from Armageddon, Arsenal of Democracy, and Iron Cross forward while throwing out all the confusing crap from HOI3 that everyone griped about. Remember that while adding lots of new cool stuff sounds fun, if you don't keep the game simple enough it just isn't fun. HOI2 had a lot of fun detail that made it challenging but importantly it wasn't too complicated to discourage players. If you add every idea that everyone requests, you will make a P.O.S.

Think quality of new ideas, not quantity.

Last edited:
I would like to see a multiplayer that actually works.

Yeah all I've ever wanted is one MP game on EU3 or HOI3 but its never, ever worked.

I would like to see a multiplayer that actually works.
I play multiplayer 2 - 20 hours a week and for me it works just fine :)

As long as ports are forwarded in your router or you have a host that has done this there are no connection problems. And it's not uncommong to play several hours straight without a crash (which is quite impressive with 10 players).

I do agree there are alot of things that could make multiplayer work better. But it does work.

A more advanced weather system that actually has some major effects on operations, like grounding air units, or making carriers less efficient. Actually it is probably not a question of making it more advanced, just making the consequences of adverse wheather much tougher.

A tougher attrition system would also be beneficial. I would like to see attrition based upon whether you are retreating involuntarily (should be massive attrition), the percentage of organistiation below a certain levle (i.e. 80% would be 40 out of a possible 50) to simulate whether the unit is in "good" shape or not. This should make the manpower factor even more important, but also show that a retreat has catastrophic consequences in terms of stragglers and prisoners, and that keeping a unit line indefinitely letting it get lower and lower org through combat will wear down the unit morale and lead to desertions, ilness etc etc.

FInally I would like to see org losses based upon whether you are advancing through enemy territory.. Even if you are driving over the steppes with no real oppostioin then you will have vehicles breaking down, soldiers getting sick, things and units getting lost etc etc.

A more advanced weather system that actually has some major effects on operations, like grounding air units, or making carriers less efficient. Actually it is probably not a question of making it more advanced, just making the consequences of adverse wheather much tougher.
Are you playing attention to combat modifiers? In my experience it's common to see -50% or higher penalties for airplanes (including CAGs) operating where there is precipitation and high windspeeds (bad weather).

FInally I would like to see org losses based upon whether you are advancing through enemy territory.. Even if you are driving over the steppes with no real oppostioin then you will have vehicles breaking down, soldiers getting sick, things and units getting lost etc etc.
This is modelled by units not gaining org when advancing, but I would also prefer a HoI2 solution where they lose org (at least for units dependent on vehicles).

HOI3's weather system is overhyped and unreliable (fair weather in March in Russia, winter that has almost no effect, no differences between the performance of various units in various weather conditions...). Even HOI2's simplistic system worked better and DH actually has a better interface (you can see both terrain types and weather clearly).

Status
Not open for further replies.