• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could come up with a lot if I think about it but,
#1 unquestionably is the spherical map.
#2 Fortifications should be built directionally along borders, not just a general property of the whole territory.
#3 flow charts depicting the history of your resource stockpiles and everything else you can think of.
#4 a very detailed search engine for picking leaders which allows you to sort for various traits your looking for.
#5 leader traits should not be a have or have not system, each leader should have a numerical level of experience in every trait.

2: The Germans did reuse the old French fortifications against the Allies in 1944, even though they pointed the "wrong" way..
3: Are you sure you mean a flow chart?
4: Yes. And a button to take you to their assigned unit.

And I strongly disagree that HoI3 is too complex. There aren't any features there that I would want to be without, except strategic effects, which are just silly: I control a strait somewhere on the other side of the globe, and suddenly I can research heavy tanks faster back in Europe?? I occupy Danzig and my supply situation gets easier in North Africa??

Last edited:
I could come up with a lot if I think about it but,
#1 unquestionably is the spherical map.
#2 Fortifications should be built directionally along borders, not just a general property of the whole territory.
#3 flow charts depicting the history of your resource stockpiles and everything else you can think of.
#4 a very detailed search engine for picking leaders which allows you to sort for various traits your looking for.
#5 leader traits should not be a have or have not system, each leader should have a numerical level of experience in every trait.

Beyond that just the basic idea of bringing all the good simple stuff that everyone liked from Armageddon, Arsenal of Democracy, and Iron Cross forward while throwing out all the confusing crap from HOI3 that everyone griped about. Remember that while adding lots of new cool stuff sounds fun, if you don't keep the game simple enough it just isn't fun. HOI2 had a lot of fun detail that made it challenging but importantly it wasn't too complicated to discourage players. If you add every idea that everyone requests, you will make a P.O.S.

Think quality of new ideas, not quantity.

#1: Well i do question it - what would be the point in that? Do you really want a curve to be the shortest distance from a to b?

#2: In fact, borders should feature some more properties: Not only fortifications should be tied to them, but also terrain and infrastructure (or a new type of that, supplementing province wide infra. rails/autobahn vs. road network). For that, province-sizes could increase a bit again, maybe. Take an norhern italian province: Its northern border may be mountainious, while its southern border might be plains...

#3: Yep, more stats of all kinds. I agree. Heck more info in general. One of my favs would be newspaper-ish (akin to the ´historical´ battle events) notifications of events like any major´s army setting foot on a new continent, for example. Cause even if you are playing Japan, it feels redicilous to miss D-day.

#4&5: The leader system is in dire need of streamlining, in general. Less leaders (no divisional ones, i keep saying), more sorting options and something that keeps you from shuffling them around nilly-willy (delay on reassignment and possibly an optional small LS hit for human players only for reassignment and pro/demotions).

I dont think that HoI3 has too many features, really. It just has too many which arent well executed. The strategic effects and the historical battle-events as well as the leader-system come to mind, first. Then the attack-delay, STR doesnt matter for inflicting damage, weather... come next. And then comes how you increase threat of just anybody in order to be able to attack someone totally different (e.g. raise threat of france to attack yugoslavia, as italy). Then comes how supplies arent funneled through HQs. Then how the AI manages HQs (range)....

HOI3's weather system is overhyped and unreliable (fair weather in March in Russia, winter that has almost no effect, no differences between the performance of various units in various weather conditions...).
Are you sure you are playing the latest patch?

In FTM 3.05 mud and cold weather slows down movements and combat both to a crawl making it much easier to bring in reinforcements and have time to dig in + regain org for the defender.

I'm not sure I agree with you that weather should be reliable...
But it's effect can be severe in HoI3, even if I also would also preffer the HoI2 approach where weather gave separate penalties to attackers only.

By reliable I meant sensible weather patterns and results. Also, the defender should have a much greater advantage than he currently has and mechanised formations should have more trouble moving during mud than foot infantry and cavalry.

mechanised formations should have more trouble moving during mud than foot infantry and cavalry.
This is supposed to be handeled by the supply system mostly, so this failing is really not the fault of weather not working but supply.

Tanks and Halftracks were pretty good when it came to traversing mud (easilly superior to cavalry / horse towed infantry support) but they did require more fuel and the trucks bringing the fuel were useless in mud!

At least tanks doesn't seem to be moving faster then infantry in mud/cold weather for me so Id say it works pretty well currently.

Better game balance, less focus on Germany vs. USSR to the detriment of the rest of the game; UK/France less inevitably underpowered, Germany less cartoonishly strong in areas of armour and technology from the start, but with better representation of their organizational edge. Better internal political system, with more input from the player, higher risks of instability and possibilities to actively change matters - more like HOI II.

Are you playing attention to combat modifiers? In my experience it's common to see -50% or higher penalties for airplanes (including CAGs) operating where there is precipitation and high windspeeds (bad weather).

This is modelled by units not gaining org when advancing, but I would also prefer a HoI2 solution where they lose org (at least for units dependent on vehicles).

Maybe I havent been paying all teh attention I should have. My main problem is my love hate relationship with hte overpowered carrier! they can destroy anything, anywhere and a Battleship or heavy cruiser never manages to get close enough. Also I have rarely experienced airpower to be grounded or zero efficiency.. think of how often the wheather is overcast, or rainy in Northern Europe.. this is not very good bomber wheater for a WWII plane.

And I agree with other comments, that while armour/mech can actually move in mud/snow then we need to beef up its fuel consumption by 3 / 4 times if they are moving or attacking.

*Show population of every country. Just like the manpower, PI could create a population table for every country, showing how much are born every month, and etc. And also, show the ethnicity of population of the country.
*When a nation annexes another nation, it can recruit the annexed countries Ministers, Generals etc. For example, I'm playing Yugoslavia, and I attacked, say, Albania. After they have surrendered, and Yugo has annexed Albania, it could be possible to appoint Ministers of Albanian nationality, with Albanian names and surnames. Same with Generals.
*Show the statistics about your chosen countries troop nationality. Say, I was playing Germany, I occupied the low countries, France, Denmark, Poland etc. I could then check the Statistics, and see how many foreign troops are there in my army. Like- 1.5 million Germans, 20 000 Poles, 10 000 Danes, 9500 Latvians, 20 500 French etc.
*For minor countries- If two minor countries would reach a -200 relations with each other, one of them would declare war on each other. For example, I was playing Peru, and my relations with Chile lowered to -200, and then Chile would declare war on me. This would be nice, because when your playing a major, you never see minors fight each other, and I think when minors are fighting each other it's rather exciting. I would love to see a minor AI fight between Yugoslavia and Bulgaria, or Greece and Albania, or Romania and Hungary etc.
*Make IC, infrastructure, air base, naval base, unit, radar and rocket test constructions cost money.

good ideas! I like the added information and also a bigger role for money in the game.

I would ideally also like to see "stances" used in the game that would modify the unit characteristics, fuel and supply consumption and organisational regain.

It has been shot down a few times, by people knowing more about it then me, but in a simple form it would be:

Reserve/rest stance.. high org regain, low consumption, weak attack and defend, low speed
NormaL. everything normal
movement: lower org gain (org loss in enemy territory), high consumption and weak attack and defend, high speed
combat: lower org gain, much higher consumption, high attack and defend, normal speed.

maybe it would be a nightmare to manage, but like the idea to "rest" units for recovery, putting corps/armies in combat mode etc etc

Variable supply and fuel consumption. Units should consume much more fuel and supplies when fighting and moving than when holding their positions. I think that many players requested it in various threads.

Of course, it wouldn't work in HOI3, because it would destroy the supply system, but we are talking about HOI4 here ;).

Variable supply and fuel consumption. Units should consume much more fuel and supplies when fighting and moving than when holding their positions. I think that many players requested it in various threads.

Of course, it wouldn't work in HOI3, because it would destroy the supply system, but we are talking about HOI4 here ;).

Well it would work in HOI3 too.
Strat Redeploy uses already double supply.
So if done right, the units would only request supply earlier while fighting(higher need per day, "just another modifier" and not that big check if a unit fights or not..)
And could use the supply for 30 days if not fighting like now.. So hvy fighting would stress the supply routes much more.. And also the IC.. (Same for ships and planes..)
Nce idea!

And the AI could also use it. Even the low org regain system. As it is already quite good in shuffeling units anround.
Finally you would like to move units into position and wait until they have full org again to have best chances for your next attack..
Strat Redeploy should also give an org hit like redeploy for ships and planes.

Cheers,
Chromos

2: The Germans did reuse the old French fortifications against the Allies in 1944, even though they pointed the "wrong" way..
3: Are you sure you mean a flow chart?
4: Yes. And a button to take you to their assigned unit.

2: Yes but they didn't prevent the allies from taking over the whole territory up to the fortifications on the opposite side, but you bring up a good point.
3: Thank you for the correction. I was actually thinking of a line graph.
4: Agree.

#1: Well i do question it - what would be the point in that? Do you really want a curve to be the shortest distance from a to b?

#2: In fact, borders should feature some more properties: Not only fortifications should be tied to them, but also terrain and infrastructure (or a new type of that, supplementing province wide infra. rails/autobahn vs. road network). For that, province-sizes could increase a bit again, maybe. Take an norhern italian province: Its northern border may be mountainious, while its southern border might be plains...

#3: Yep, more stats of all kinds. I agree. Heck more info in general. One of my favs would be newspaper-ish (akin to the ´historical´ battle events) notifications of events like any major´s army setting foot on a new continent, for example. Cause even if you are playing Japan, it feels redicilous to miss D-day.

#4&5: The leader system is in dire need of streamlining, in general. Less leaders (no divisional ones, i keep saying), more sorting options and something that keeps you from shuffling them around nilly-willy (delay on reassignment and possibly an optional small LS hit for human players only for reassignment and pro/demotions).

#1: The world just isn't flat and it shouldn't be depicted as flat. The appearance that distance traveled horizontally near the poles is the same as at the equator is just wrong. A curve 'should' be the shortest distance between two points on a planet, that is just the nature of reality. As long as the spherical map rotates to always center over a central territory, then this isn't a problem though because the curves will always appear as strait lines from that center spot. They will only look curved if, for example, you have a moving unit like a plane selected with a directional/destination arrow and then rotate the globe so it is no longer centered. This is why planes in the real world appear to fly on curved lines across flat maps when they are actually flying in strait lines. Moving in a strait line on a flat map is actually moving in a longer curved direction in reality when you are dealing with a spherical object like Earth. Every flat map shows Canada and Russia as much bigger and more elongated than they actually are also. The arctic circle and Antarctica can be put on the map but simply be untraversable to act as natural top/bottom borders.

#2: I think that would get into over-complicating things, but that is just my opinion.

#3: Totally agree, a daily world news update would be great just to highlight the big picture events in the world. I need to correct myself though because I originally meant to say line graphs, but all stats are welcome because they are always optional and new players can always just ignore them until they get more advanced.

#4&5: Agree in general. Iron cross has a delay system which I like. I do however like assigning divisional leaders and having lots of leaders however; sorry, difference of opinion.

Last edited:
The biggest change that I'd like to see for HOI4 would be an overhaul of the resource model. Placing a "maximum" on mines in each province for the various resource types, and then a "current" value, would allow countries like the US and SU to have the POTENTIAL for massive resource production, but only a fraction of that would be available at the start of the game. Obviously, most provinces would have 0-of-0, but those with resources could be 4-of-7, for instance. Ideally, the cost of increasing the mining level would be based on the remaining untapped potential, so it would be cheaper to boost output in a 3-of-6 province than in a 2-of-3 that's already operating at near peak potential. As IC increases, you'd either have to import resources or else build more mines in the provinces where you have untapped potential. That would beat the pants off of having 99999 of every resource by mid-'36 for fear of running short in '44 or '45, with several countries each producing enough by themselves to supply the rest of the entire world's demands.

Spreading out about half the manpower from a few big cities and other VP locations into the rest of the provinces would give some point to those "other" places that occasionally change hands. The urban centers would still be the main sources of MP, but realistically, a good percentage of the armies of the period consisted of former farmers. As agricultural technologies improved and became less manpower-intensive, many of the displaced farmers either moved into the cities to find work or enlisted in the military for lack of jobs. The Agriculture tech doesn't give extra manpower mainly by increasing the birth rate, but by unemploying farmers. Those hundreds of scattered areas between the cities should each give a SMALL amount of available manpower (30-60% of your total, depending on culture).

Ideally, both mines and factories should require a small amount of manpower to build and run, like military units. If you're working in a factory to supply the troops, you're not fighting on the front lines. Events or decisions could allow you to pull a portion of that manpower from the mines or factories in an emergency, at the expense of reduced output across the board. That would make expansion into Third World areas potentially useful in the long term, since the resources would be heavily under-developed and cheaper to tap (in countries which lack either the manpower or the ICs, or both, to develop their own resources), but wouldn't give you a huge instant shot of materials like it does in III. Both the US and SU should start out with extensive resource potential, but only a tiny fraction above what's needed for internal production would be developed. Areas like Malaya and Indonesia should be almost pristine in places and moderately developed in others, but with high potential, rather than providing Europe with more resources than they can reasonably ship, right from the start of the game.

My other "pet peeve" that I'd like to see reworked is the absurd starting relations and awkward political options that don't allow for a realistic representation of the situation in either Europe or Asia without extensive use of scripted events to drive the world in a direction even vaguely resembling WWII. Several of the mods seem to have gotten it much closer to reality, and the map and political climate in HPP hardly resemble those of the unmodded game (I had to look around a bit to find Shanxi on the map, for instance).

Coal to oil conversion also needs a bit of rebalancing, or a total rework. It's really pushing credibility when not only does Germany convert energy at late-war rates right from the start in 1936, but every other country in the world does too. Germany should beging with LIMITED conversion, with the ability to research and expand it. Other countries should start with a massive penalty to conversion, and need to research the tech to bring it up to even modest levels, and do further research to bring it up to the current game's numbers. As is stands in the current game, Oil is a useless resource for most of the countries (you can't even sell it because everyone has a surplus), and even Germany can do without it if they limit the number of Heavy and SuperHeavy tank divisions they build.

Last edited:
The biggest change that I'd like to see for HOI4 would be an overhaul of the resource model. Placing a "maximum" on mines in each province for the various resource types, and then a "current" value, would allow countries like the US and SU to have the POTENTIAL for massive resource production, but only a fraction of that would be available at the start of the game. Obviously, most provinces would have 0-of-0, but those with resources could be 4-of-7, for instance. Ideally, the cost of increasing the mining level would be based on the remaining untapped potential, so it would be cheaper to boost output in a 3-of-6 province than in a 2-of-3 that's already operating at near peak potential. As IC increases, you'd either have to import resources or else build more mines in the provinces where you have untapped potential. That would beat the pants off of having 99999 of every resource by mid-'36 for fear of running short in '44 or '45, with several countries each producing enough by themselves to supply the rest of the entire world's demands.
Arguably AOD models this by tying infrastructure with resource output. In fact, it would probably be possible to add a building like "mines" or "extraction facilities" with local resource bonuses to HOI3. You would have to teach the AI to build them, but that's possible, too.

Coal to oil conversion also needs a bit of rebalancing, or a total rework. It's really pushing credibility when not only does Germany convert energy at late-war rates right from the start in 1936, but every other country in the world does too.
HPP covers this. Not ideally, as there are no synthetic oil plants as buildings/strategic resources/whatever, but there are plans for sth like this in the FTM version IIRC.

Last edited:
#1: The world just isn't flat and it shouldn't be depicted as flat. The appearance that distance traveled horizontally near the poles is the same as at the equator is just wrong. A curve 'should' be the shortest distance between two points on a planet, that is just the nature of reality. As long as the spherical map rotates to always center over a central territory, then this isn't a problem though because the curves will always appear as strait lines from that center spot. They will only look curved if, for example, you have a moving unit like a plane selected with a directional/destination arrow and then rotate the globe so it is no longer centered. This is why planes in the real world appear to fly on curved lines across flat maps when they are actually flying in strait lines. Moving in a strait line on a flat map is actually moving in a longer curved direction in reality when you are dealing with a spherical object like Earth. Every flat map shows Canada and Russia as much bigger and more elongated than they actually are also. The arctic circle and Antarctica can be put on the map but simply be untraversable to act as natural top/bottom borders.

In school, I always wondered what the point of "Non-Euclidean Geometry" was, where the sums of the internal angles of a triangle didn't add up to 180 degrees. One day is struck me that if you start out on the Equator, travel 1/4 of the way around the globe, make a 90 degree left turn and head to the pole, then make a second 90 degree left, you'd eventually end up back at your starting point and direction after having made three 90 degree turns (270 degrees). It works on a curved surface, or in a curved universe. Amusingly, if you take an aircraft over a long distance, some form of Non-Euclidean geometry is helpful; if you're walking, you need "plane" geometry.

I guess there's no easy way to display the map on a flat display without introducing those curvature errors. Projecting only a small portion at a time from a rotating globe beneath could minimize the errors, but I'd hate to lose the ability to zoom out, and the mathematical gymnastics needed to do the projection of any larger area while simulating the curvature could prove to be less than amusing for the programmers.

First post. (Should be a tune for that, a la 'Last Post', anyway...)
Taking a cue from CK II I would like to see a situation where we could develop more of a relationship with our generals, perhaps? In CK II, we witness the building of dynasties, and I wonder if the degree of attachment I feel for each member (well, okay, some of the non-dwarven, hunchbacked, bastard children of my King) could be simulated with my generals. I think a development of their trait system, with 'learning-on-the-job' would be interesting, perhaps the necessity of conducting a defensive campaign might be instructive in developing the 'defensive trait'?
Maybe when considering an invasion of a country, we could consult our HQ and receive a set of options, with pros and cons of each?
I'd love elements of some of the available mods to be included, such as elite units - Commandos for UK forces, etc (As Marine troops the Royal Marine Commandos were able to pack more of a punch than standard infantry, for example, and I suspect the Army Commandos had similar effects too.)
The dream scenario I have would involve the ability to zoom in and conduct battles on a tactical scale - manouevering my tanks, infantry and so on to score victories against the odds, or to do so in the most efficient manner.
Finally, although I suspect this could be a long, long list, I would love to be able to build a large artillery force (with an infantry screen) which could perform the role of, say, the British artillery at El Alamein.

In school, I always wondered what the point of "Non-Euclidean Geometry" was, where the sums of the internal angles of a triangle didn't add up to 180 degrees. One day is struck me that if you start out on the Equator, travel 1/4 of the way around the globe, make a 90 degree left turn and head to the pole, then make a second 90 degree left, you'd eventually end up back at your starting point and direction after having made three 90 degree turns (270 degrees). It works on a curved surface, or in a curved universe. Amusingly, if you take an aircraft over a long distance, some form of Non-Euclidean geometry is helpful; if you're walking, you need "plane" geometry.

I guess there's no easy way to display the map on a flat display without introducing those curvature errors. Projecting only a small portion at a time from a rotating globe beneath could minimize the errors, but I'd hate to lose the ability to zoom out, and the mathematical gymnastics needed to do the projection of any larger area while simulating the curvature could prove to be less than amusing for the programmers.

try long distance surveying, then it becomes truly fun, you have to be accurate to around 10mm over, up to 10-15km and curvature of the earth can be a meter at those distances.

i pity the fools that true and survey entire countries (and people do) as the calcs become extreme then

1. A working Pacific Theater
2. A working and realistic, but easy to use and understand Logistics/Supply System and Interface.
3. An intuitive User Interface.

alot of the previous plus a reworked naval and air system with its own chain of command
and orders. mulitple TFs for a navy in a fleet with Core (CV), Battleline (BB/CA/BB), escort
(CL/DD), transport (TR). I don't like the current naval system i shoot you shoot i run away.
A more ciruclar approach with core in the middle with battle and escort groups fighting. This
could include naval air to air which is useless now as it only depends on bomb/torps unless
your hitting a land target. More SS vs warship combat (subs can sink subs but good luck
nailing a CV!)

Status
Not open for further replies.