• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better game balance, less focus on Germany vs. USSR to the detriment of the rest of the game; UK/France less inevitably underpowered, Germany less cartoonishly strong in areas of armour and technology from the start, but with better representation of their organizational edge. Better internal political system, with more input from the player, higher risks of instability and possibilities to actively change matters - more like HOI II.

90% of that is moddable at the moment.

Strategic Planning Overlay tab for the map. Such overlay would keep the movement arrows displayed when units had been given orders, would give rough ETAs of units who've been given move orders. If the command is on AI control, the overlay would display the AI's planned moves.

Re-enforce, repair and supply priority handled through the HQs. If a player wants a particular Army to get priority, or not, then it'd be done with a single click at that Army HQ and all subordinate units would be affected/effected. Just as in AI orders, senior HQs would negate orders given to subordinate HQs as long as those HQs remained in the senior's lowerarchy.

Multiplayer version that has those things that would be desirable to players but won't currently be put into the game engine because it "wouldn't be fair to the AI". Give the multiplayers some real true lovin'... even though I ain't one.

some areas should be verboten for armor still. I still see armor romping around Norway
so unless they are on skies pulled by 10,000 singing alpinejagers each their should be
some more tweaking on what can go where. Some areas are just foot only. Not only
impossible to drive in (driving 1000 vehicles over a muddy track) but supply columns also
having to use that same muddy road

I have a simple request for HOI4 that would help balance out both the Soviet Union and the USA (and anyone else who IC whores their way to absurd IC levels).

I want IC to cost manpower. Every new IC you build would cost some appropriate amount of manpower. Existing IC would already be "paid for" like all other preexisting stuff.

I have a simple request for HOI4 that would help balance out both the Soviet Union and the USA (and anyone else who IC whores their way to absurd IC levels).

I want IC to cost manpower. Every new IC you build would cost some appropriate amount of manpower. Existing IC would already be "paid for" like all other preexisting stuff.

Absolutely, men are needed for army, but also in the factories.It will be great to implement something like that in HOI IV.
I think here game should abstract even sexes,really.
For instance what proportion of women will be included in industry..this could be even used for greater realism of historical industrial production,since patriarchal Axis powers had a problem(in their heads) to include more women in war industry during most critical(turning points) of war,which was disadvantage.

What I think is more important then manpower need for the war industry is manpower need for the logistics and rearguards.

A big factor in what really made the Germans lose on the eastfront was all the men needed for these duties, and how exposed they were to partisan attacks.

Getting a good model for how this works will also explain why USA can only field 100 divisions overseas, even if they have more population then Soviet.

If the situation was the other way around (Soviet attacking overseas and USA defending their home soil) then it should be the other way around when it comes to division count too! Hundreds of US divisions and only a few Soviet ones that can be sustained over long supply-lines.

The extra IC (convoys), fuel and supplies to sustain overseas or far-away troops should also be a much more considerable factor then in HoI3.

The logistics is, imho too, not taken well enough into account so far.
It can be modded though with higher MP costs for Div builds tied to laws that let you choose the "supply chain"-type.. ;)
(Edit: The IC need of MP can be modded in HOI3 too with laws already..)

The UK also used much more MP for their logistics as the other armies..
Just read about how big the Exp. Corps in France was and how much Division that only was..
The rest was for the "5 o'clock tea"..

Cheers,
Chromos

Someone mentioned the lack of decent mods a few pages back.
This is the symptom of the biggest issue HoI3 has:

Lack of usable ("softcoded") modifiers.

I mean, look at the current air- and naval ministers you can use. Even HoI2 vanilla did model them better than HoI3 FTM.
Compared to EU3, you have just a handful of the most basic things you can use for scripting and modding.

That's why you have so few mods out there.
Because all you can do is alter the current game a bit and that's it.
There are not enough modifier to add any really significant changes. Too much stuff is hardcoded, to many things we had in EU3 and HoI2 are hardcoded.
I mean, we have a few really good mods. But even those mostly add units, tweak techs and change a bit here and there.

Apart from the modding problem, there are ofc several things that need to be revisited: Air combat, naval combat, logistics, AI.

What about "HoI - The Great War" or "HoI - Cold War". Both are interesting spinoffs.

For HoI4 WW2 I wish an agrarian level, industry level, resource level, logistical level and manpower level, no hard values for that. You only need a potential value for the state (which is modified with conquoring, assimilation and/or population growth), the levels are proportional to each other. If you raise agrarian level, you drop the other levels for example. You produce more food, but you have less men for warfare. If you cut down agrarian level and raise other levels, the morale of soldiers and efficiancy of the industry drops.

I would like supplies for any given point to be drawn from several ports. Rather then supplies coming from port of X, I'd rather it was 50% of supplies from X, 20% from Y, 30% from z,l,k.

This fixes a lot of irritating bugs (!).

Something has to limit excessive naval sizes, in other threads this has been discussed as a dry-dock limitation for capital ship production. Capital ships should also cost $$$.

Spying currently works that the more spies you have the more accurate your information becomes. I'd like to see it changed to different classes of spies which can provide reasonably accurate information but only on a limited area.

For the theme I would prefer a modern scenario with a nukes on/off button at game start menus. There's been so many near-misses with wars in the last 10-15 years that a lot of events can be scripted for Taiwan/PRC, another falklands and Pakistan/India etc - it would expand the appeal of the game beyond the current ww2 fanatics :). The cold war is rather boring as it's two factions and the problem with WW I is that this is a divisional level game - divisions are meaningless in trench warfare.

I feel nervous about the level of detail being asked for in some of the other posts in this thread, if we wanted to play vicky2, we'd play vicky2. Simple fact is, some of this detail is actually too much. Nobody wants to play a nation that is going wrong with no understanding of why unless they've played 50+ hours (!). Much of the current game interfaces etc are actually finished from a development standpoint - it's exporting it to a different time-era that's needed.

Last edited:
iv always wanted to see the troops getting shot at and stuff in the provinces.. that'd be so awesome. like looking from a satellite
Superpower 2 has a system like this.

Battles appear as clouds of smoke on provinces, when you click on that cloud it opens a window that shows the units shooting at each other, etc. It's very basic, but I think that's what you mean.
Also the map is a globe.

I do not want to see HOI4. There are so many things in Hoi3 that can be improved that speaking of Hoi4 is nonsense IMHO.
Agreed. There is way too much that can still be done to HOI3. The main issues with the current game is it is not fleshed out enough. The effort of this forum should be redirected to what can be done in the next HOI expansion.

Different types of IC would be cool. For example, you'd need naval IC to build ships, and aeroplane IC to build planes. Not sure how deep you'd go into it (Just IC for land, air and sea?), but I think two for each branch (Land, air and sea) would be good. For example, infantry/artillery and armoured IC for the army, small/medium and large plane IC for air, screen and capital IC for naval. Then maybe a general IC for consumer goods and supplies.

I suppose that would make it easier to have things go a bit more historically too (Countries with large naval IC will be building more ships, for example).

I'd love a realistic database of manpower and equipment: Population numbers would be realistic, allowing for realistic birth and death rate. This can then break down into total number of able bodied men to fight, meaning manpower "balance" no longer need be abstracted.
Your IC can then be spent on production of armament, equipping what men you want to be soldiers. Then of course you decide what you want to be trained, in terms of creating a disciplined fighting force or simply instantly drafting up men with basic equipment. Of course the type of government would determine how many men you could simply draft into the army and, at the same time, it would be advisable to maintain a percentage of population in the economic sector/working in the factories etc. Much of this could be managed by the AI, but it needn't be too complicated.

Such a system would actually make the war in the east much more realistic; even after the effective starting formations of the Red Army were largely destroyed, the German advance was able to constantly be blocked by the drafting in of substantial numbers of men, even if they were not particularly well trained (if at all) or had very good standards of weapons.

Who else thinks such a system would be of benefit? I can't see it being too much of a load on the processor really, with multicore support and such. After all, it's just numbers.

Last edited:
A return of "transport capacity", but in a buildable form, on top of infrastructure. Something to mimic the need for trucks and trains being built, muck like convoys. Would make modelling lend-lease for the USSR easier (was mostly trucks and trains).

I didn´t read all post but For HOI IV shuold be:

- New supplies system: Let the player build trucks (as same transports ships), implement trains networks and allow to create stockpiles of supplies and fuel near to front.
I won´t be hard to code a supply organization like current command chain. With this player can easily priorize the supplies for units in combat than others that there are in security tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.