Closed Thread
Page 27 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 52 77 ... LastLast

Thread: HOI 4: What do you want to see?

I would like to see a multiplayer that actually works.

Hearts of Iron III

defining borders after wars or when releasing puppets, more decisions and events even for small countries like Finland and Sweden (as examples), thickened tech tree, and harder A.I. (i played as US and still won against Japan within six months on Very Hard).
    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."-Winston Churchill

"Old Abe Lincoln
    with his paper and pen
    will be famous someday
    but only God knows when."
    -Abraham Lincoln at 12 years old

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself"-Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mac2636 View Post
    What about separate campaign and battle map, something along the lines of the Total War series. [...]
    I think i made it perfectly clear, what about it, in a post that got quoted on the very same page you posted on. Go to Creative assembly´s site and ask them to make a WW2-game, please, but dont ask PI to make a CA-game!

Cities in MotionDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

to throw inf/mil/gar/cav tech tree into the same techs, instead of 12 techs only 4 techs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallienator View Post
    to throw inf/mil/gar/cav tech tree into the same techs, instead of 12 techs only 4 techs.
    Try HPP.

Cities in MotionDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Waiting for full release :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazumir View Post
    I think i made it perfectly clear, what about it, in a post that got quoted on the very same page you posted on. Go to Creative assembly´s site and ask them to make a WW2-game, please, but dont ask PI to make a CA-game!
    Sorry, I was writing on my phone, so I didn't see your post on that page, and no need to be such a jerk. I simply joining the conversation.

I could come up with a lot if I think about it but,
    #1 unquestionably is the spherical map.
    #2 Fortifications should be built directionally along borders, not just a general property of the whole territory.
    #3 flow charts depicting the history of your resource stockpiles and everything else you can think of.
    #4 a very detailed search engine for picking leaders which allows you to sort for various traits your looking for.
    #5 leader traits should not be a have or have not system, each leader should have a numerical level of experience in every trait.

Beyond that just the basic idea of bringing all the good simple stuff that everyone liked from Armageddon, Arsenal of Democracy, and Iron Cross forward while throwing out all the confusing crap from HOI3 that everyone griped about. Remember that while adding lots of new cool stuff sounds fun, if you don't keep the game simple enough it just isn't fun. HOI2 had a lot of fun detail that made it challenging but importantly it wasn't too complicated to discourage players. If you add every idea that everyone requests, you will make a P.O.S.

Think quality of new ideas, not quantity.
    Last edited by cromsworld; 27-03-2012 at 03:09.

Captain
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2Rise of Prussia

They definitely need an option to draw on the mini-map so its possible to coordinate a decent attack with an ally on multi-player.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Badger View Post
    Yeah all I've ever wanted is one MP game on EU3 or HOI3 but its never, ever worked.

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Badger View Post
    I play multiplayer 2 - 20 hours a week and for me it works just fine

As long as ports are forwarded in your router or you have a host that has done this there are no connection problems. And it's not uncommong to play several hours straight without a crash (which is quite impressive with 10 players).

I do agree there are alot of things that could make multiplayer work better. But it does work.
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

A more advanced weather system that actually has some major effects on operations, like grounding air units, or making carriers less efficient. Actually it is probably not a question of making it more advanced, just making the consequences of adverse wheather much tougher.

A tougher attrition system would also be beneficial. I would like to see attrition based upon whether you are retreating involuntarily (should be massive attrition), the percentage of organistiation below a certain levle (i.e. 80% would be 40 out of a possible 50) to simulate whether the unit is in "good" shape or not. This should make the manpower factor even more important, but also show that a retreat has catastrophic consequences in terms of stragglers and prisoners, and that keeping a unit line indefinitely letting it get lower and lower org through combat will wear down the unit morale and lead to desertions, ilness etc etc.

FInally I would like to see org losses based upon whether you are advancing through enemy territory.. Even if you are driving over the steppes with no real oppostioin then you will have vehicles breaking down, soldiers getting sick, things and units getting lost etc etc.

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion

Quote Originally Posted by krche View Post
    A more advanced weather system that actually has some major effects on operations, like grounding air units, or making carriers less efficient. Actually it is probably not a question of making it more advanced, just making the consequences of adverse wheather much tougher.
    Are you playing attention to combat modifiers? In my experience it's common to see -50% or higher penalties for airplanes (including CAGs) operating where there is precipitation and high windspeeds (bad weather).

Quote Originally Posted by krche View Post
    FInally I would like to see org losses based upon whether you are advancing through enemy territory.. Even if you are driving over the steppes with no real oppostioin then you will have vehicles breaking down, soldiers getting sick, things and units getting lost etc etc.
    This is modelled by units not gaining org when advancing, but I would also prefer a HoI2 solution where they lose org (at least for units dependent on vehicles).
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

HOI3's weather system is overhyped and unreliable (fair weather in March in Russia, winter that has almost no effect, no differences between the performance of various units in various weather conditions...). Even HOI2's simplistic system worked better and DH actually has a better interface (you can see both terrain types and weather clearly).

Crusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by cromsworld View Post
    #2 Fortifications should be built directionally along borders, not just a general property of the whole territory.
    #3 flow charts depicting the history of your resource stockpiles and everything else you can think of.
    #4 a very detailed search engine for picking leaders which allows you to sort for various traits your looking for.
    #5 leader traits should not be a have or have not system, each leader should have a numerical level of experience in every trait.
    2: The Germans did reuse the old French fortifications against the Allies in 1944, even though they pointed the "wrong" way..
    3: Are you sure you mean a flow chart?
    4: Yes. And a button to take you to their assigned unit.

And I strongly disagree that HoI3 is too complex. There aren't any features there that I would want to be without, except strategic effects, which are just silly: I control a strait somewhere on the other side of the globe, and suddenly I can research heavy tanks faster back in Europe?? I occupy Danzig and my supply situation gets easier in North Africa??
    Last edited by kaspar42; 30-03-2012 at 11:24.

Quote Originally Posted by cromsworld View Post

Beyond that just the basic idea of bringing all the good simple stuff that everyone liked from Armageddon, Arsenal of Democracy, and Iron Cross forward while throwing out all the confusing crap from HOI3 that everyone griped about. Remember that while adding lots of new cool stuff sounds fun, if you don't keep the game simple enough it just isn't fun. HOI2 had a lot of fun detail that made it challenging but importantly it wasn't too complicated to discourage players. If you add every idea that everyone requests, you will make a P.O.S.

Think quality of new ideas, not quantity.
    #1: Well i do question it - what would be the point in that? Do you really want a curve to be the shortest distance from a to b?

#2: In fact, borders should feature some more properties: Not only fortifications should be tied to them, but also terrain and infrastructure (or a new type of that, supplementing province wide infra. rails/autobahn vs. road network). For that, province-sizes could increase a bit again, maybe. Take an norhern italian province: Its northern border may be mountainious, while its southern border might be plains...

#3: Yep, more stats of all kinds. I agree. Heck more info in general. One of my favs would be newspaper-ish (akin to the ´historical´ battle events) notifications of events like any major´s army setting foot on a new continent, for example. Cause even if you are playing Japan, it feels redicilous to miss D-day.

#4&5: The leader system is in dire need of streamlining, in general. Less leaders (no divisional ones, i keep saying), more sorting options and something that keeps you from shuffling them around nilly-willy (delay on reassignment and possibly an optional small LS hit for human players only for reassignment and pro/demotions).

I dont think that HoI3 has too many features, really. It just has too many which arent well executed. The strategic effects and the historical battle-events as well as the leader-system come to mind, first. Then the attack-delay, STR doesnt matter for inflicting damage, weather... come next. And then comes how you increase threat of just anybody in order to be able to attack someone totally different (e.g. raise threat of france to attack yugoslavia, as italy). Then comes how supplies arent funneled through HQs. Then how the AI manages HQs (range)....

Quote Originally Posted by Cybvep View Post
    HOI3's weather system is overhyped and unreliable (fair weather in March in Russia, winter that has almost no effect, no differences between the performance of various units in various weather conditions...).
    Are you sure you are playing the latest patch?

In FTM 3.05 mud and cold weather slows down movements and combat both to a crawl making it much easier to bring in reinforcements and have time to dig in + regain org for the defender.

I'm not sure I agree with you that weather should be reliable...
    But it's effect can be severe in HoI3, even if I also would also preffer the HoI2 approach where weather gave separate penalties to attackers only.

By reliable I meant sensible weather patterns and results. Also, the defender should have a much greater advantage than he currently has and mechanised formations should have more trouble moving during mud than foot infantry and cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybvep View Post
    mechanised formations should have more trouble moving during mud than foot infantry and cavalry.
    This is supposed to be handeled by the supply system mostly, so this failing is really not the fault of weather not working but supply.

Tanks and Halftracks were pretty good when it came to traversing mud (easilly superior to cavalry / horse towed infantry support) but they did require more fuel and the trucks bringing the fuel were useless in mud!

At least tanks doesn't seem to be moving faster then infantry in mud/cold weather for me so Id say it works pretty well currently.

Hearts of Iron III

Better game balance, less focus on Germany vs. USSR to the detriment of the rest of the game; UK/France less inevitably underpowered, Germany less cartoonishly strong in areas of armour and technology from the start, but with better representation of their organizational edge. Better internal political system, with more input from the player, higher risks of instability and possibilities to actively change matters - more like HOI II.

Closed Thread
Page 27 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 52 77 ... LastLast