Ok, so I was thinking about a potential Rome expansion. I know this is a frequent topic on this section of the forum and it grows a bit tiresome, but I'm hoping that this topic will have a bit more order to it. What I intend to do, is take everyone's ideas (which are posted in this topic) and try to formulate a "definitive" list of features, additions, gameplay ideas we'd like to see that I will update on this first post.
The reason for this is to make a list that Paradox can easily see without having to trawl through multiple posts. Here forum members can discuss pros and cons of suggested ideas.
NOTE: This is NOT a petition for a new Rome expansion, nor is it going to be a list of "demands" for Paradox. If Paradox has no intentions of releasing a Rome expansion, then that's fair enough. This is simply a nice, legible way to get our ideas accross to Paradox.
So, feel free to start brainstorming. Also, if any Mods or Admins consider this to be another pointelss expansion thread, then feel free to delete!
Campaign Map / Countries / Factions / Provinces
- I think it's been established that the game map needs to be extended East to a degree. The furthest point potentially being the Indus River. This would open the possibility of including the Maurya Empire on the Seleucid Eastern front, Scythia and Turkic tribes to the North and Arab tribes to the south (Saudi Arabia).
- Additional provinces and playable tribes in Britannia, Gaul and Germania.
- Greater detail added to barbarian tribes. Need to review current Barbarian system. Added ability to communicate with Barbarians. Barbarians need to be able to colonise under certain circumstances and become recognised nations.
- Review of current Province values in Peace Treaties.
- Addition of Regional Decisions.
- Addition of specific Province Decisions (e.g. "Rebuild the Collossus").
- Ability to form nations via decisions (e.g. form "Greece").
- More playable factions in general.
- More provinces needed.
- Parthians need to be more of a threat (especially if the map is extended East)
- Random Barbarian hordes should spawn in Fog of War.
- Option to "Attack Natives" rather than waiting for the natives to rise up.
- Ability to move provinces from one region to another.
- Multiple minority cultures within a province.
Combat / Units
- Added sea units to add variety and make sea combat more interesting.
- Different land unit types. Maybe culture specific units?
- Tech paths for units.
- Add Siege units.
- More dynamic combat options. Don't auto-battle when 2 opposing units meet.
- Ability to sort cohorts in an army without it causing lost loyalty in the General.
- Inclusion of Chariots as a combat unit.
- Siege options for both sides.
- Effects for specific characters when leading an army.
- Ability to loan troops to allies.
- More cultural variation in unit sprites.
- New CB system, similar to the new EU3:HTTT system.
- Seperate vassalage and tribute systems to work independently of each other.
- Ability to Diplo-Annex
- Ability to issue Warnings
- Ability to issue Demands
- Ability to request Royal Marriages
- Ability to choose suitors for Ruler and Heirs.
- Ability to release vassals / tributaries.
- Tone down impact religion has on diplomacy / relations.
- Trade needs to be reviewed. May need to elaborate.
- More possible relations with Senators / Governors from home nation.
- Triumph tag to allocate titles to Generals.
- Benefits to having vassals and not annexing every nation you defeat.
- Be able to use captured characters towards war score.
- The general consensus seems to point toward a timeline that turns the clocks back rather than forward. A subtle increase going back to 323BC (431AUC) would take us to the death of Alexander, the Partition of Babylon and would provide a struggle for Rome in it's Italian wars.
- New weather / seasons addition. Similar to the system used in EUIII.
- Increased attrition during winter months
- Certain government types should allow two rulers (e.g. Rome has 2 Consuls, Sparta has 2 Kings, etc).
- Ability to rename provinces.
- Map is too "safe". Add natural disasters.
- 3 Way Civil Wars
- Condottieri bands. Roving mercenary groups.
- Option to continue playing as the victorious nation after you are defeated in war.
- An in-game notepad.
- A character tracker to keep an eye on promising characters.
- More titles to hand out and more variety in rewards / consequences for giving the title.
- Improved GUI, with added images for inventions, decisions, etc. just to add to atmosphere / immersion.
Coding / Mod Tools
- Un-hard code units to allow mods to add and subtract unit types.
- Freedom to mod the current Start / End dates.
- Ability to add or modify regional decisions if they were added to the game.
- Birth_province as a trigger for titles.
- All diplomatic options should be moddable.
- Intrigue and Diplomacy missions should be moddable.