• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
benden said:
So you're back to business, very good!
not really, just downloaded a trial version of recolored and painted these simple ones. i'll start on thursday.

benden said:
I agree with you on this: no doctrine skills, but general equipment, management, aircraft testing, etc...
But then, I don't know in game terms if he will be still useful or not.
dunno if he was very useful in RL.. maybe Richthofen, Greim or Löhr as a replacement; the latter could be a double leader like Kesselring, btw.

benden said:
I recognize generalmajor Kokott (looks cool) but who are the other guys? two at least are SS generals?
all three, actually. 1st one is Obf Georg Bochmann http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Bochmann , 1st to Kokotts right is Obf Adolf Ax and finally Brif Karl Burk, both last CO's of the latvian div http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffen-SS_Commanders

EDIT: i think i'll take Max Hansen as well, the guy from the skin, already in in GER/not used as an ahistorical but plausible one with late 40s as a start date.

not really, just downloaded a trial version of recolored and painted these simple ones. i'll start on thursday.
Good start then, and still many more leaders (other complete nations?) for v30!!

dunno if he was very useful in RL.. maybe Richthofen, Greim or Löhr as a replacement; the latter could be a double leader like Kesselring, btw.
Right, and I noticed that air leader Löhr was in command of the land forces in Yugoslavia in a DH 1.03's scenario! so maybe multi-classed leaders for 1.04?:D

EDIT: i think i'll take Max Hansen as well, the guy from the skin, already in in GER/not used as an ahistorical but plausible one with late 40s as a start date.
I fully agree to add such late war historical leaders with colonel equivalent rank (and Oberführer too) as plausible generals for mid-late 40s...so Peiper could be added again too, lol! and in the case of specific mods with brigade/kampfgruppe/batallion sized land units the start date could still be changed (with Michael Wittman's return as a Trickster/Panzer leader, not Commando lol!).

P.S.: I think the ESG website will be online again soon!

benden said:
Good start then, and still many more leaders (other complete nations?) for v30!!

other complete nations not. usually there#s something missing in every nations (mostly navy), for JAP generals and so on. SOV without navy could be possible (and thats what i like to have most, as JAP isnt really possible in both b&w or colour atm). made about ten dutch/INO leaders + the pic of Nantes (or was it Auch - sorry cant remember ;) ):

benden said:
I fully agree to add such late war historical leaders with colonel equivalent rank (and Oberführer too) as plausible generals for mid-late 40s...so Peiper could be added again too, lol! and in the case of specific mods with brigade/kampfgruppe/batallion sized land units the start date could still be changed (with Michael Wittman's return as a Trickster/Panzer leader, not Commando lol!).
i never really deleted Peiper, just his date.. as for Wittmann that was August Wittmann in vanilla (Generalleutnant with commando trait). some crazy modders thought its Mike :confused:

ok i dont think i'll continue my Dh stuff, jut in case you want to convert some ills: the DH brigade is just a div pic from HoI2 (same stats). so just renaming them should be ok.

ok v 29 b is up, a few things added.

note DH fans: commando tech teams added for SOV (fathers of spetsnaz), GER (Gebirgsjäger & Fallschirmjäger), USA (Marines & Paratroopers)

otherwise a lot of tweaks regarding end dates + a small raid in HOL

Geheime Feldpolizei hunting partisans, capture from a movie newsreal ;) :

had a new evt pic in mind

Last edited:
+ the pic of Nantes (or was it Auch - sorry cant remember ;) ):

Nantes but of course! Finally pre-war Marseille in colour! many thanks for this one!

i never really deleted Peiper, just his date.. as for Wittmann that was August Wittmann in vanilla (Generalleutnant with commando trait). some crazy modders thought its Mike :confused:
The same "crazy modders" used for von Mackensen the pic of his old father in death head black hussard's uniform!!

ok v 29 b is up, a few things added.
The file within the archive is already named v30, lol!

Geheime Feldpolizei hunting partisans, capture from a movie newsreal :
That's a cool one!

A few pics for you in this link
N.B.: nothing much interesting for conversion alas, perhaps only useful for ID...

benden said:
That's a cool one!
i saw it in DH as a bigger ill for police brigade, i painted it but most details dissapear when you shrink it, thats why i thought i post it here in a bigger format.

benden said:
A few pics for you in this link
N.B.: nothing much interesting for conversion alas, perhaps only useful for ID...
if you copy images from that french admiral schools site, they're usually distorted and cant be fixed. a work around is using a print screen programme: http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/ (thats the one i use for eg youtube videos or this site for the french admirals)

benden said:
Nantes but of course! Finally pre-war Marseille in colour! many thanks for this one!
what was the name of that crane again? i remember it was a good google tag for french cities (Nantes, par example)

benden said:
The file within the archive is already named v30, lol!
note the alfred Erhard change, pic you find online is wrong. theres another mistake i discovered yesterday, chinese leader Bi Yue is actually Xue Yue (who is already in - so i also managed to bring in a double :) ).

EDIT: oh, and sth for your IDC spleen

Last edited:
if you copy images from that french admiral schools site, they're usually distorted and cant be fixed. a work around is using a print screen programme: http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/ (thats the one i use for eg youtube videos or this site for the french admirals)
Okay, I'll use this program with my new computer for getting new images. Unfortunately, Gadwin printscreen doesn't work with my oldest PC so I'll use another similar program called Capturino with it. I made some capture tests today with both programs; see the results here.

EDIT: question: is the quality of those captures enough for you (except those of Cyvoct with the play sign of course!)or do you prefer higher quality ones from the DVDs (not bought yet)? or do you want the ECPAD links to try yourself to get better ones?

what was the name of that crane again? i remember it was a good google tag for french cities (Nantes, par example)
Pont Transbordeur.

note the alfred Erhard change, pic you find online is wrong. theres another mistake i discovered yesterday, chinese leader Bi Yue is actually Xue Yue (who is already in - so i also managed to bring in a double :) ).
I remember that you found Alfred Erhard's pic was wrong, so you removed him from latest release until you find the correct one, right? and yes I guess that Chinese characters are even more difficult to identify because of the many transcripts of their language...

EDIT: oh, and sth for your IDC spleen
Oh my, you even do counter pics! with this cool Loire 130, Indochina now could bomb the Siamese fleet with style during the Franco-Siamese War, many thanks again!!

EDIT: is it possible you make it with the French Indochina flag? sorry!

Last edited:
benden said:
I remember that you found Alfred Erhard's pic was wrong, so you removed him from latest release until you find the correct one, right? and yes I guess that Chinese characters are even more difficult to identify because of the many transcripts of their language...
that pic was IDd as Erhard, until somebody came up at AHF and revised a lot of IDs. luckily i spotted this one but you'll still find Erhard online (like Krukenberg who is Oskar Hock in "not used" - still if you google Gustav krukenberg you'll find the image of Hock).
now to solve things up the artist formerly known as Erhard is now called Friedrich Heilingbrunner (and if you look at both pics at once in the folder you'll spot that Ruslan on AHF was right).

benden said:
EDIT: question: is the quality of those captures enough for you (except those of Cyvoct with the play sign of course!)or do you prefer higher quality ones from the DVDs (not bought yet)? or do you want the ECPAD links to try yourself to get better ones?
both would work i'd say.

benden said:
Pont Transbordeur
exactly good tag for french cities

http://www.rouen-histoire.com/Ponts/Images/Pont_Transb_2.jpg
http://www.visite-de-rouen.com/images/pont_transbordeur_2_mini.jpg
http://imalbum.aufeminin.com/album/...HDLXOF_pont_transbordeur_1903_c_H184143_L.jpg

benden said:
Oh my, you even do counter pics! with this cool Loire 130, Indochina now could bomb the Siamese fleet with style during the Franco-Siamese War, many thanks again!!

EDIT: is it possible you make it with the French Indochina flag? sorry!
well nomonhan gave me his icon maker long time ago, when i wanted to have the CHI Polikarpov i thought i'll need it to make a new icon, but i can only insert the image there.
i just took the IDC rondel, knowing that it was wrong, do you mean just the flag or is there something specific? - if its on a DH counter or somewhere online that would help.

both would work i'd say.
Links:
- General Lesourd here
- Generals Pieri and Cyvoct here
- General Charles Belhague bio: Engineer, Old Guard; one of the builder of the Maginot Line.

+ post-war (late 1945) pics of general Devernet (?) visiting french children. Click on 'voir la galerie photo'.

well nomonhan gave me his icon maker long time ago, when i wanted to have the CHI Polikarpov i thought i'll need it to make a new icon, but i can only insert the image there.
i just took the IDC rondel, knowing that it was wrong, do you mean just the flag or is there something specific? - if its on a DH counter or somewhere online that would help.
Well, Indochina, as a French colony, should have french markings such as the french roundel, but maybe to distinguish its units from those of Metropolitan France it's better to use its flag.

could you add roughly a minute for the video links?

as for the icon i see if i can do that, otherwise here's a preview:

SOV is at 562 pics now, another 2 test pilots out, an engineer, a tank designer and still more to be purged :)

EDIT: oh, and btw: one of the best HoI marshals seems to be in Paraguay!

Last edited:
could you add roughly a minute for the video links?
of course, sorry;
Lesourd at 1'18", Pieri at 1'37" and Cyvoct at 4'42".

as for the icon i see if i can do that, otherwise here's a preview:
Wow again!! and yes your GER police brigade looks really cool.

SOV is at 562 pics now, another 2 test pilots out, an engineer, a tank designer and still more to be purged :)
Very good, now you have to find a least four replacements for those false generals...:laugh:
(I'm sure it's already done anyways)

EDIT: oh, and btw: one of the best HoI marshals seems to be in Paraguay!
FM José Félix Estigarribia!!

benden said:
and yes your GER police brigade looks really cool.

well i did some brigade pics in smaller size, maybe i should add them in bigger size as well (i actually had it in mind as a GAR pic). for instance i made a french AT gun, i could add it in bigger size as well:

(just discovered that "movie" frame, i have to use it a couple of times and then i'm over it, lol)

and as for the PAR marshal, i found the info here somewhere http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?92693-Leadermodifications-for-1.06/page66 ; interesting read, and it explains a lot of oddities.

and 2 pics in 2nd row are french cav, btw (one kepi blanc)

EDIT:

well just in case you dig out pics fro ills (to give you an idea what is easy and what not:
german Feldpolzei is damn difficult as it has a lot of different items and materials: more than one hour.
australian light lancers in line one and the foreign legionaires are about 5 minutes each as there arent too many colours and items
japanese and italian cav are medium both
sov cav is easy

(just to explain as sometimes you send me items i definately cannot use - Cyvcot is ok but wont be a killer pic)

Last edited:
well i did some brigade pics in smaller size, maybe i should add them in bigger size as well (i actually had it in mind as a GAR pic). for instance i made a french AT gun, i could add it in bigger size as well:
If you do so, I'm clearly interested! for integration in my private version of DH of course, but you could still share as usual with others, lol! that 25mm AT gun is really great!

and as for the PAR marshal, i found the info here somewhere http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?92693-Leadermodifications-for-1.06/page66 ; interesting read, and it explains a lot of oddities.
Indeed! we should praise anyways the efforts of all those guys since that thread's existence was nearly ten years ago and less material was available from the Internet at the time...

and 2 pics in 2nd row are french cav, btw (one kepi blanc)
don't worry about those two, I instantly recognized French Renault UE Chenillette and a Foreign Legion's bren carrier (probably at Bir hakeim)!

EDIT:

well just in case you dig out pics fro ills (to give you an idea what is easy and what not:
german Feldpolzei is damn difficult as it has a lot of different items and materials: more than one hour.
australian light lancers in line one and the foreign legionaires are about 5 minutes each as there arent too many colours and items
japanese and italian cav are medium both
sov cav is easy

(just to explain as sometimes you send me items i definately cannot use - Cyvcot is ok but wont be a killer pic)
very interesting info for me indeed; so now I humbly suggest that you don't waste time on any bad quality captures or pics, please keep your high standards; and just keep those unfit pics for ID help until we find some suitable material, okay? about Cyvoct, I thought you would love doing a leader pic of him with its cigarette, but let's wait until I get the DVD where the image quality should be (hopefully) at least slightly better...

benden said:
If you do so, I'm clearly interested! for integration in my private version of DH of course, but you could still share as usual with others, lol! that 25mm AT gun is really great!
well Maxxcombat asked me for permission to make a DH conversion. i refused as this would end up in a mess with all these new leaders, and if you dont know you'll just f*** things up more. in case you want to help him and you guys really "translate" the stuff i'm ok with it and i can add needed things. its only i dont want to see these leader files reduced to eye candy.

benden said:
Indeed! we should praise anyways the efforts of all those guys since that thread's existence was nearly ten years ago and less material was available from the Internet at the time...
yes those guys did really go to libraries and scanned pics for the game. you wont see this today, unfortunately..

as for Cyvcot i'll wait then (cant focus on much more than SOV atm, just making some ills for relaxation) - i'll drink five bottles of wodka in case i get it done with them, lol.

oh and as i'm talking about experiments, made a war propaganda decision for DH (just tried it):

its Goebbels, problem is that the format is so small that you can hardly get something into it

Ahh! Sorry, just checked this page. My PM folder was full. Could I upload just the leaders and ministers that are currently in DH? Or if you prefer not that's okay too. Just wondering because I got some time on my hands this weekend! Great unit pictures by the way!
Thanks, MaxxCombat

Ahh! Sorry, just checked this page. My PM folder was full. Could I upload just the leaders and ministers that are currently in DH? Or if you prefer not that's okay too. Just wondering because I got some time on my hands this weekend! Great unit pictures by the way!
Thanks, MaxxCombat

no, sorry. explained in PM - this is no gfx only and if i switch to DH i'll do that myself. you can still use these things or re-tag them for your own use if you like.

anyway here's a preview:

sov pics are at 630 right now :)

EDIT: yeah, well they dont look that pixely ingame lol

Last edited:
Ahh okay. I see what you mean. You put alot of work into this, I am aware of that. I guess I wouldn't want my work to be sort of condensed into 'GIP' style. Thanks for the pictures anyways, my personal copy of Darkest Hour is bright and colorful! Thanks alot for all the hard work. I love the unit pictures you have coming.
Thanks, MaxxCombat

glad you like it!

@benden:
i need dates for

Clément Blanc
Jean Gilles
Gabriel Laurent Joseph Rebuffel
Jean de Butler
Max Gelée

general Duval is this one? http://www.generals.dk/general/Duval/Raymond-Francis/France.html (dates needed as well)

DSCF0262 - is this from a movie?

and why do you include majors and all these guys like Descottes-Génon (retd 34)?
+ what about the Navarre painting - should i make a pic of it?

otherwise SOV will become very large, with a good cold war navy (realistic end dates in the 70s and sometimes 80s)

@benden:
i need dates for

Clément Blanc (1897-1982): no reliable source for now, except the one from generals.dk, sorry
Jean Gilles (1904-1961): was made a BG in late 1952, MG 1954?, LTG 1958? (commanded Constantine Army corps then 5th Military Region); died from heart attack
Gabriel Laurent Joseph Rebuffel (1897-1983): RA 1946, VA 1953, retired 1956.
Jean de Butler (1893-1984): made a BG upon early retirement (aged 53) in 1946
Max Gelée (1904-1977): chief of air Force during the year 1958 as a full air general, but no info for now on his promotion dates...

Yes, that's the same guy. You already did a pic for him but I'm still looking for better material; the one is the package should be used for ID purpose.

DSCF0262 - is this from a movie?
The one with an Indochinese and an African Tirailleurs? reenactors! collected for data on colonial troops uniform's colors.

and why do you include majors and all these guys like Descottes-Génon (retd 34)?
+ what about the Navarre painting - should i make a pic of it?
Admiral Descottes-Genon died of illness in Shangai (aged 55) while commanding the Far Eastern naval squadron there; in fact all of those guys are material collected for the Indochina mod, so as we agreed before, keep only those you find interesting and usable for FRA and forget about the rest. About the Navarre painting (magazine cover): that was the first colour pic of him I found until I got the other one from a magazine (scan).

otherwise SOV will become very large, with a good cold war navy (realistic end dates in the 70s and sometimes 80s)
Very good, keep going!

EDIT: new pic for general Georges Revers (L24132) here.

Last edited:
as for Gilles, i presume he was made LG upon retirement? i see him basically as a MG

Molinié;24337;FRA;1935;1990;1990;1990;3;5;2;2;0;5;0;Molinié_Jean_Baptiste1_colour_fra;1935;1945;x
Gilles;24338;FRA;1952;1990;1990;1990;3;6;258;2;0;5;0;Gilles_Jean_colour_fra;1952;1961;x
Navarre;24339;FRA;1945;1952;1990;1990;2;6;4;3;0;5;0;Navarre_Henri_colour_fra;1945;1962;x

sorry for the late reply i'm going through the SOVs like hell, so very little time for anything else, 804 pics done, and splitted the purges into 5 events (should actually be 6 when starting in 36, 8 for a 1933 scenario).

made some others for SOV, maybe you spot something i missed?

#########################################################################
# The downfall of Sergei Khudiakov
event = {
id = 9992664
random = no
country = SOV

trigger = {
incabinet = 4002 # Stalin
leader = 10473 # Marshal Khudiakov
atwar = no

}

name = "The downfall of Sergei Khudiakov"
desc = "The downfall of Sergei Khudiakov"
picture = "SOV_Khudiakov"
style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = june year = 1944 }
offset = 20
deathdate = { day = 29 month = january year = 1968 }

action_a = {
name = "Ok"
command = { type = sleepleader which = 10473 } # Khudiakov
}
}

# Flight of Mikhail Gromov (later ColGen)
#
# http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Gromov_(aviator)

event = {
id = 9992665
random = no
country = SOV

trigger = {
atwar = no

}

name = "Gromovs flight"
desc = " On 12-14 July 1937, Mikhail Gromov, A.B. Yumashev and S.A. Danilin established a new non-stop flight distance record of 10,148 kilometers (6,306 mi) from Moscow to San Jacinto, California, U.S., via the North Pole in a Tupolev ANT-25. "

picture = "SOV_Gromov"
style = 0

date = { day = 14 month = july year = 1937 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 20 month = july year = 1937 }

action_a = {
name = "Ok"
command = { type = dissent value = -1 }
}
}

# The Warnings of Richard Sorge
#
#
# http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sorge
event = {
id = 9992666
random = no
country = SOV

trigger = {
atwar = no
event = 2604 # eastern POL to SOV happened
exists = VIC
}

name = "The warnings of Richard Sorge"
desc = " Richard Sorge, one of the best Soviet intelligence officers in the spy-network of the GRU warns the Soviet Union of a german attack. Should the Red Army launch a preemptive war? "

picture = "SOV_Sorge"
style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = march year = 1941 }
offset = 5
deathdate = { day = 20 month = december year = 1941 }

action_a = {
name = "No"
ai_chance = 98
command = { }
}

action_b = {
name = "Declare War"
ai_chance = 2
command = { type = war which = GER }

}

}

# Papal Encyclical: Divini Redemptoris
#
#
# http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divini_Redemptoris
event = {
id = 9992667
random = no
country = SOV

trigger = {
government = communist
}

name = "Papal Encyclical: Divini Redemptoris"
desc = " Divini Redemptoris was an anti-communist encyclical issued by Pope Pius XI. It was published on 19 March 1937. In this encyclical, the pope sets out to 'expose once more in a brief synthesis the principles of atheistic Communism as they are manifested chiefly in bolshevism'. He described communism as 'a system full of errors and sophisms' that 'subverts the social order, because it means the destruction of its foundations' as well as removing women from their rightful place in the home. "

picture = "SOV_PiusXI"
style = 0

date = { day = 19 month = march year = 1937 }

action_a = {
name = "The Pope has no divisions anyway!"

command = { type = relation which = POL value = -6 } # catholic, close to SU
command = { type = relation which = ITA value = -6 } # catholic, fascist
command = { type = relation which = SPA value = -6 } # catholic, fascist, mentioned
command = { type = relation which = MEX value = -4 } # catholic, mentioned
command = { type = relation which = POR value = -4 } # catholic, PA
command = { type = relation which = IRE value = -2 } # catholic
command = { type = relation which = ARG value = -2 } # catholic
command = { type = relation which = CUB value = -2 } # catholic
command = { type = relation which = BRA value = -2 } # catholic
command = { type = relation which = HUN value = -5 } # semi-catholic, PA, close to SU
command = { type = relation which = GER value = -5 } # strong catholic minority, JG
command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -1 } # catholic, laicism

}

}

# Stalins speech
#
#
# http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/timeline/411107awp.html
# http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGbjPqFFvA
#

event = {
id = 9992668
random = no
country = SOV

trigger = {
government = communist
war = { country = GER country = SOV }
lost_national = { country = SOV value = 10 }
control = { province = 175 data = SOV } # Moscow
}

name = "Stalin speaks to the people"
desc = " Stalin: 'Comrades, Red Army and Red Navy men, commanders and political instructors, men and women workers, men and women collective farmers, intellectuals, brothers and sisters in the enemy rear who have temporarily fallen under the yoke of the German brigands, our glorious men and women guerrillas who are disrupting the rear of the German invaders! On behalf of the Soviet Government and our Bolshevik Party I greet you and congratulate you on the 24th anniversary of the great October Socialist Revolution. Comrades, today we must celebrate the 24th anniversary of the October Revolution in difficult conditions. The German brigands' treacherous attack and the war that they forced upon us have created a threat to our country. We have temporarily lost a number of regions, and the enemy is before the gates of Leningrad and Moscow ... Let the victorious banner of the great Lenin fly over your heads! ... Long live our glorious motherland, her freedom and her independence! ' "

picture = "SOV_StalinTalks"
style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = march year = 1936 }
offset = 5
deathdate = { day = 20 month = december year = 1954 }

action_a = {
name = "Talk to the people"
ai_chance = 100
command = { type = dissent value = -2 }

}
action_b = {
name = "Stay silent"
ai_chance = 0
command = { type = dissent value = 3 }

}

}

evt pics in color for all are done, i just copied the texts from sources i found elsewhere

Last edited: